2013-14 EPL Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 am
  • Arteta? What about Michu or Mata? The Spanish won't add a PL player onto the national team. Its why Fabregas left.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Arsenal have missed out on Gustavo. He signed for Wolfsburg today.

Honestly not taking the piss here, Gate, but this has to be pretty troubling at this point. Season starts tomorrow, and no new signings for Arsenal.

I'm at the point where I'll take anyone, I never truly believed this squad would need to be improved too much. But they need to make signings to fill out the squad because at this point, we might be forced to keep that douche Bendtner.

What I've heard is that Gustavo choose Wolfsburg cause Arsenal asked him to take a slight pay cut. Still doesn't make any sense as I think any sane person would probably choose Arsenal over Wolfsburg regardless of the trophy drought or wage offers. You could say familiarity with the Brazilians there and staying in the Bundesliga, but like Steve Nicol said a day or 2 ago, it would've made more sense if it was Dortmund or Schalke. Gustavo's decision is just a bit confusing.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:40 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Arteta? What about Michu or Mata? The Spanish won't add a PL player onto the national team. Its why Fabregas left.

Care to show me a more accurate passer than Arteta? Mata was on the National Team a couple times I believe and Michu was a virtual unknown before last year, though he does deserve to play at least one game on the Spanish NT.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:46 am
  • Took me a bit, went back and forth on a couple of these predictions. Please do not grill me over where I have certain teams. The Arsenal one is mainly a "if they sign players" prediction so don't say I'm being biased or stupid.

1) Chelsea
    Why?: One man, Jose Mourinho. Though I’m not too happy with his extremely arrogant and cocky attitude since he rejoined Chelsea. Mourinho’s arrogance could end up being a problem for the Blues.
    Strength: Gotta be their defense. David Luiz has become probably one of the best defenders in the EPL and couple him with Petr Cech, who’s widely considered the top EPL keeper, and you’ve got a difficult time trying to break through. Also worth a mention is Frank Lampard who is Chelsea’s main source of inspiration and can easily turn a game on its head if he’s given the opportunity
    Weakness: The unknown. Honestly I really don’t know what Mourinho’s plan is for Chelsea, it almost seemed like a number of players were either linked with departures or rumored to be in player swap deals.

2) Arsenal
    Why?: Stability, Arsenal are the only Top 5 club that hasn’t gone through a major shift(unless Spurs manage to keep Bale). Managing to keep their best players, which it’s up to you why as some say it’s cause there’s no World Class players left at Arsenal, is almost as good as signing players.
    Strength: Their attack, people seem to be so obsessed with bitching and moaning about how Arsenal need to buy a world class striker that they fail to realize that the Gunners were only outscored by Chelsea and Man United last season, and that 4 of Arsenal’s players put up double digit goal tallies. Arsenal do have an issue with the fact that they make more chances than you can count before they even get a shot into the goal and obviously signing a striker that can create goals out of nothing would make them more dangerous going forward.
    Weakness: Consistency and Depth. Arsenal have this annoying habit of having a crazy rollercoaster form for the first half of the season, which tends to be what kills their chances of a league title(or even a Top 2 or 3 finish). Also as a result of the summer clearout, the Gunners have a paper thin squad, should an injury hit one of those places that is lacking in options, Arsenal could be in serious trouble.

3) Manchester City
    Why?: While City probably is the consensus pick to finish in the Top 2 with Chelsea, I’m not convinced. City made a major change at Manager, getting rid of Mancini(still a little baffled with that considering he led them to 2 trophies and an FA Cup final in the last 3 years) and replacing him with former Malaga manager Manuel Pellegrini, who is a decent manager I’ll give him that. However City have sold 2 key strikers in the last 6 months and have spent around £100 million on 4 players with 0 EPL experience, and that’s gonna be the toughest part for them. City also have players who tend to half-ass their assignments *cough* Nasri *cough* when they shouldn’t be doing so.
    Strength: Aguero and Hart. In my mind these two are the reason Man City haven’t imploded at any point of the last 2 seasons. Aguero’s ability to get the crucial chances is a major part of City’s success. Hart is also easily the keeper any club would want(though it was laughable with how easy Arsenal scored on him last Saturday).
    Weakness: Selfishness and Arrogance. Something I’ve noticed about City is that their players tend to try to do things by themselves, it has looked less likely to happen this year from what I’ve seen in the preseason. I’ve also noticed that they seem to become complacent when things don’t go their way.

4) Tottenham Hotspur
    Why?: They have made some impressive improvements in the Summer(as frustrating as it is for an Arsenal fan to admit that). However, despite all their improvements, this summer could still turn to hell if Gareth Bale leaves. Last year I claimed they were in trouble with the departure of Luka Modric, though I don’t think any of us expected the impact Bale would make. Gareth is the only reason in my mind that Spurs had any chance of a Top 4 finish this year.
    Strength: Gareth Bale. In all honesty, if not for Bale’s sudden surge to the level he is at(which IMO isn’t where Daniel Levy thinks he’s at), would Spurs have even qualified for Europe last year?
    Weakness: Gareth Bale’s future. Their improvements could soften the blow of him leaving for Real Madrid, but him leaving could cause a massive dropoff for them. To be honest, if Gareth Bale’s future was decided by now, I would’ve either had them higher or lower in my predictions.

5) Manchester United
    Why?: Replacing Sir Alex Ferguson is like trying to figure out a Rubix Cube in 1 minute. No disrespect to Moyes, but I’m not too sure he’ll be able to come close to bringing out the best of a average squad(with a few gems) like Fergie was able to do. And if you think Arsenal’s summer transfer window has been frustrating, then United’s has been no different. Thiago was supposedly on the verge of signing with United, then signed with Bayern Munich, and then there are the futile attempts to get Cesc Fabregas. And then there’s the Wayne Rooney saga.
    Strength: Robin Van Persie. Top scorer the past 2 years, I despised the site of him lifting the EPL trophy in that kit(trust me, that’s the nicest thing I could think of saying) and a major reason for United’s 20th top division title win.
    Weakness: Reliance on Robin Van Persie. Like with Arsenal in 2011-12, United seem to need him to perform at his best if they want to win(case in point the Community Shield). Even Moyes has admitted that should something happen to RvP, they’ll be in serious trouble.

6) Liverpool
    Why?: I’m just not as convinced as everyone else. The signings they made seem almost random which included a misfit who hasn’t been at his best since leaving Arsenal, a goalkeeper who overachieved at Sunderland, a player who spent last year on loan at Barcelona’s B Team, and a striker who played for a club that barely escaped relegation by a single point. I believe their whole season hinges on what happens with Luis Suarez and even though he’s reportedly apologized to his teammates, I’m still skeptical about this meaning the transfer saga is over with. They still seem thin in attack and things could go bottoms up if Suarez leaves the club.
    Strength: Veteran Leadership, Agger and Gerrard are probably the two best Captain/Vice Captain partnerships in the EPL and Gerrard is the most inspiring player on the squad. They do need Suarez’s goal scoring ability, but they need Agger and Gerrard’s leadership more.
    Weakness: Suarez’s Behavior/Future. The main reason I’m hesitant to accept him IF he were to join the Gunners is the fact that he seems to find ways to make headlines on the field for the wrong things. The fact that he scores loads of goals makes him indispensable for the Reds(and why they are afraid to let him go) but at the same time, you know he’s likely bound to do something stupid and get himself in trouble. Should he stay, if he misses any amount of games(aside from the 6 he still has to serve for the Ivanovic bite), Liverpool could find things difficult

7) Norwich City
    Why?: In my opinion, the Canaries have had the best Transfer window out of any club. Honestly, I will be surprised if they start the season as poorly as they did last year. I just find myself liking this team more and more and if they keep things intact, I could see them challenging for a spot in Europe. They finished the 12-13 season strong and if they can get the ball rolling early on in this season, they’re capable of big things.
    Strength: Options in attack. The arrivals of Gary Hooper and Ricky Wolfswinkle are intriguing signings by Norwich and opens up the possibilities, and despite losing Grant Holt(can someone tell me the logic in why he left for Wigan?) they still have plenty of choices in attack and they might be scoring plenty of goals this year.
    Weakness: How they start. Not necessarily a weakness, but looking at last year, the their start left them fighting for survival for a long portion of the season. Their final position shows how hard they worked to avoid the drop but they still finished only 8 points clear of relegation.

8 ) Swansea City
    Why?: Heading into the 2011-12 season, if anyone told me they thought Swansea would still be in the EPL after 2 years, I’d thought they were crazy. Not only are they still here, they’re also in Europe by way of their Capital One Cup win. They haven’t made too much noise in transfers, with Shelvy and Wilfried Bony being the most notable ones, they do also have the rumors of Michu and Ashley Williams being on Arsenal’s radar(but at this point there’s nothing more than just rumors). They might make things interesting in the Top 4 fight in the end and with the way this season is shaping up, they’ll be adding fuel to the fire.
    Strength: Style of play. How Laudrup has them playing seems to be eerily similar to the clubs like Barcelona and Arsenal who like to pass a lot, and Swansea appears to be set up perfectly for that style of play.
    Weakness: Fixture Pile Up. Winning the COC last year earned them their first trip to Europe, and because of that, they’ll have to deal with the added list of Europa League fixtures should they progress to the Group Stage. We’ll soon see just how ready they are to compete to be among the elite of Europe.

9) Everton
    10) Fulham
    11) West Ham
    12) Aston Villa
    13) West Brom
    14) Southampton
    15) Sunderland
    16) Newcastle United
    17) Cardiff City
    18) Stoke City
    19) Crystal Palace
    20) Hull City

Top Scorer: Robin Van Persie(if he stays healthy) or Suarez(if he avoids suspensions)
    Player of the Year: Frank Lampard, Santi Cazorla, or RvP(really hate saying that last one)

Biggest Improvement: Norwich City
    Biggest Dropoff: Spurs, Liverpool or Man United(really depends on how the transfer window ends)
    First Manager To Get Sacked: Steve Bruce(Hull City)

FA Cup: Norwich City
    Capital One Cup: Arsenal
    Last edited by Gatehawk on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 am
  • couple of things. Firstly, no way Arsenal finishes above City. No way in hell.

Secondly, saying liverpool are 'thin in attack' means you haven't been paying attention.

Having said that, I actually like your predictions. I would flip-flop Arsenal and City, and flip-flop Liverpool and Spurs and leave everything else pretty much the way it is.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:22 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:couple of things. Firstly, no way Arsenal finishes above City. No way in hell.

Secondly, saying liverpool are 'thin in attack' means you haven't been paying attention.

Having said that, I actually like your predictions. I would flip-flop Arsenal and City, and flip-flop Liverpool and Spurs and leave everything else pretty much the way it is.

Did you read the part at the top? I said "if Arsenal buy players", if they don't they could easily be fighting just to finish Top 4. And when I said Liverpool are thin in attack, I was refering to the fact that Suarez and Sturridge are the only two legit threats at the striker position, at least in my opinion. I'll admit they've got goal scorers else where, but I was referring to the striker position when I said that.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm
  • Christ on a bike....

Not even sure where to start. So I won't. Peaches, ISWT.... Day away boys.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:57 pm
  • When your threadbare team is on the eighth year of a silverware drought, most recently snuck into fourth place with all the confidence of a cheating husband coming home after a tryst, and has put its best transfer hopes in the rumor of a $78 million dollar deal for a racist and two-time cannibal, nostalgia is as good as it gets.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... he-numbers

Just thought I'd share with y'all.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:23 pm
  • Just wanna try something, who wants to try a match prediction thing? Like we predict the winner and scoreline of each match that is played on the weekends?

What I think is that you get 1 point for picking the correct result, and bonus points if you guess the the correct score for either side. Basically you can get a max of 3 points per game. And if there's 10 games on the weekend you could end up with 30 points total. If anyone wants to do this, I'll keep track of the standings.

This weeks matches:

Liverpool vs Stoke City
    Arsenal vs Aston Villa
    Norwich vs Everton
    Sunderland vs Fulham
    West Brom vs Southampton
    West Ham vs Cardiff City
    Swansea vs Manchester United
    Crystal Palace vs Tottenham
    Chelsea vs Hull City
    Manchester City vs Newcastle United
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:36 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:Just when you think Suarez has apologized: http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... y-training

You should really stop reading shit like this. Because the report said "Suarez apologized to his teammates", this paper has read that as "He offered Rodgers no apology". It's sensationalist crap designed to sell papers. Suarez will be just fine. He'll lay low for a while, serve the remainder of his ban, then come back scoring. This is Liverpool's make or break chance with him, though. If we miss out on CL again, he's the same as gone.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:53 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:Just when you think Suarez has apologized: http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... y-training

You should really stop reading shit like this. Because the report said "Suarez apologized to his teammates", this paper has read that as "He offered Rodgers no apology". It's sensationalist crap designed to sell papers. Suarez will be just fine. He'll lay low for a while, serve the remainder of his ban, then come back scoring. This is Liverpool's make or break chance with him, though. If we miss out on CL again, he's the same as gone.

But it's funny, just when everyone comes out saying Suarez has apologized, the Guardian is probably the only one to say that he didn't.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:56 pm
  • They're not saying he didn't apologize, they are postulating that he didn't offer an apology to Brendan Rodgers. It's garbage.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:06 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:They're not saying he didn't apologize, they are postulating that he didn't offer an apology to Brendan Rodgers. It's garbage.

Well after what's happened this month, that's more believable than how everyone else is saying he just straight up apologize to everyone.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:04 am
  • Top of the table
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:04 am
  • Great result against Peter Crouch and 10 goalposts. Another day we could have had 5 or 6. Their keeper was unreal, continuing the pattern of keepers having MOTM performances against Liverpool. Aspas looked fantastic, as did Coutinho and Sturridge. Henderson looked lively, and Lucas was solid as ever.

Mignolet though....wow. Instant Kop hero for that penalty save, but he made several other world class saves throughout the match. Really was a good game of football all round, and very happy with the result.

IF Liverpool land Willian, I don't see any way we don't finish in the top 4 this season.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:31 am
  • Mignolet on his way to Kop legend. In recent years we probably only come away with one point from a game like that.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 am
  • Oh dear, Gatehawk.....oh dear....
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Oh dear, Gatehawk.....oh dear....

I'm too pissed right now to discuss that match other than I wish Mike Dean had been the ref.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:16 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Oh dear, Gatehawk.....oh dear....

I'm too pissed right now to discuss that match other than I wish Mike Dean had been the ref.

lol. Fair enough. In fairness, Villa look a decent side this season.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:06 am
    Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Oh dear, Gatehawk.....oh dear....

lol. Fair enough. In fairness, Villa look a decent side this season.

I can't even say they were dangerous today. Only one clear opportunity from the run of play, and their goals came about from refereeing decisions(I think Luna was offsides on the 3rd goal).

And then this call almost caused me to throw my TV out the window:
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 am
  • That's clearly a foul, Gate. I'm not trolling, either, that's is a foul. Koscielny lunged in and took out Agbonlahor(?)'s feet.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:24 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:That's clearly a foul, Gate. I'm not trolling, either, that's is a foul. Koscielny lunged in and took out Agbonlahor(?)'s feet.

I would agree if not for the fact that Kos clearly got the ball before anything else. If anything, that was not a yellow card.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:That's clearly a foul, Gate. I'm not trolling, either, that's is a foul. Koscielny lunged in and took out Agbonlahor(?)'s feet.

I would agree if not for the fact that Kos clearly got the ball before anything else. If anything, that was not a yellow card.

nonsense. It doesn't matter if he caught the ball, the challenge was reckless at full speed, and he got much more of the player than the ball. Come on, Gate.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:02 pm
    Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:That's clearly a foul, Gate. I'm not trolling, either, that's is a foul. Koscielny lunged in and took out Agbonlahor(?)'s feet.

nonsense. It doesn't matter if he caught the ball, the challenge was reckless at full speed, and he got much more of the player than the ball. Come on, Gate.

Okay then explain the obvious penalty that wasn't called when Wilshere got sandwiched?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:04 pm
  • Alright, Gate, you got me. There's an obvious conspiracy against Arsenal. No other teams ever get missed penalty calls. Arsenal only lost because of the refs.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:19 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Alright, Gate, you got me. There's an obvious conspiracy against Arsenal. No other teams ever get missed penalty calls. Arsenal only lost because of the refs.

Did I say that? No, but that was one of the most embarrassing referee performances I've ever seen.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 pm
  • Defenders right knee clearly clip attackers ankle. It's why you don't tackle from behind. Keeper could have been sent off on the other one.

Bad tackle. Bad loss. Bad performance. Don't embarrass yourself anymore Gate.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Defenders right knee clearly clip attackers ankle. It's why you don't tackle from behind. Keeper could have been sent off on the other one.

Bad tackle. Bad loss. Bad performance. Don't embarrass yourself anymore Gate.

You must have missed the part where I said "If anything, that was not a yellow card.". It wasn't the performance I wanted to see, but they still nearly scored after going a man down if not for a number of last ditch saves by Guzan. I'm just as pissed at the fans blaming this loss on the lack of signings, like they think that would've made a massive difference(we don't know if it would've). In the end, that was an embarrassing loss caused by a lousy performance and poor refereeing decisions.

And about that Szczesny one, maybe he should've, I think the reason he wasn't was that, at least to me, it appeared that Agbonlahor exaggerated the contact, it was a penalty but Gabby made it look worse than it actually was, plus the way he moved the ball probably made it no longer a clear goal scoring opportunity. I don't know, just throwing out theories.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:44 pm
  • My bad then. I thought you said it wasn't a penalty. I agree a yellow was a bit harsh. I'm sure Gabby gave quite a good yell when he went down. Was a good clip of his heel though.

Arsenals reaction to this afternoons defeat may define the fight for the 4th spot really. Be interesting for sure
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 am
  • Totally a penalty on Koscielny, look how his right knee clips Abonglahors left leg. Everyone in the league gets crapped on by the refs once in a while, it's about how you bounce back from it that will matter most.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm
  • I swear to christ is Spurs hijack this Willian deal........It's the 21st century, don't they have their own scouting department by now? And where are they getting all this money?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:16 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:I swear to christ is Spurs hijack this Willian deal........It's the 21st century, don't they have their own scouting department by now? And where are they getting all this money?

If Spurs hijack the Willian deal, it tells me that Bale is gone. I sincerely hope they don't, though...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:20 pm
  • So Redmen, what do you think of our performance against Stoke? Encouraging? Too early to tell? What the fuck was Agger doing with his arm?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:59 pm
  • Momentary lapse of reason from Agger. I though Liverpool looked very dangerous and slick going forward, I thought they controlled the middle of the park well, and I thought that they looked very shaky defensively. I think Aspas and Mignolet are both fantastic looking signings, I think that Sturridge continues to pay dividends, and I think if we add Willian/Ericksen and Suarez comes back, we'll score a lot of goals. I REALLY want to see another center back brought in before the window closes.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:10 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:I swear to christ is Spurs hijack this Willian deal........It's the 21st century, don't they have their own scouting department by now? And where are they getting all this money?

We were linked with Willian long before you were on the scene, he visited the training ground last year.

Just another conspiracy theory for Liverpool fans.

Viva Soldadooooo
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:43 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Totally a penalty on Koscielny, look how his right knee clips Abonglahors left leg. Everyone in the league gets crapped on by the refs once in a while, it's about how you bounce back from it that will matter most.

If it's worth anything, go ahead say it isn't, Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle, the NBCSN guys, both agreed that the penalty shouldn't have been given.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:03 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Totally a penalty on Koscielny, look how his right knee clips Abonglahors left leg. Everyone in the league gets crapped on by the refs once in a while, it's about how you bounce back from it that will matter most.

If it's worth anything, go ahead say it isn't, Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle, the NBCSN guys, both agreed that the penalty shouldn't have been given.

So? Two former players hundreds of feet away from the action don't count for anything. Just because you get the ball doesn't mean it's not a foul. If Ron Vlaar had taken down Giroud down in that matter, you'd be screaming for blood. Pick your battles.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:52 pm
  • I'd be pissed if that was Liverpool. But either way the calls were made. It was close enough to allow the ref a decision.

As for Liverpool an encouraging start ripe with drama. Let's hope some magic is returning.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 am
  • http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... han-cabaye

Yikes, gate. I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for you. When you can't even lure away a good squad player (he'd be nothing more than that for Arsenal) from a bottom half team, something is very very wrong.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:04 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8878529/transfer-news-newcastle-have-rejected-an-arsenal-bid-for-yohan-cabaye

Yikes, gate. I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for you. When you can't even lure away a good squad player (he'd be nothing more than that for Arsenal) from a bottom half team, something is very very wrong.

I'm starting to question the opinions of the "experts". They complain about Arsenal not buying, and when they attempt to buy someone(regardless of how much the offer is) the "experts" complain. I bet you if Arsenal were to sign Cabaye(or anyone in the next day or 2) then those "experts" will classify it as a panic buy and complain about it. Basically Arsenal is in a lose-lose-lose situation with the media right now and we can blame the Gunners for that cause of how lazy they've been this summer.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:53 pm
  • Really getting crazy now, apparently Arsenal are planning a £20m bid for Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba.

Edit: Now the Guardian is reporting that Stoke City is preparing for Arsenal to come in for Begovic. That's the least "out of nowhere" rumor I've seen today.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Pogba at 20 mil is silly.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:44 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Pogba at 20 mil is silly.

I'd say he's around that 20-25 mil range, 30 mil max.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:46 pm
  • No. He's not worth close to that. Arsenal don't need him anyway.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:No. He's not worth close to that. Arsenal don't need him anyway.

I'm not saying Arsenal do need someone like him. But he just turned 20 years old so saying he's worth over 30 million is kinda foolish, I don't think any 20 year old is worth that much, especially one that didn't see many appearances before moving to Juve, if he performs like he did last year again, then maybe he would be worth over 30mil.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm
  • Well Alan Pardew has made this a bit embarrassing for himself over his comments about Arsenal's bid for Cabaye. Basically, without directly saying it, he's blaming Arsenal for Newcastle's 4-0 loss to Man City. I know you guys are gonna say say I'm wrong, but think about this like how parents always say "It's not what you say but how you say it". Pardew's comments went:

"We've prepared with the lad for three days and then for him to have his head turned by this bid from Arsenal on the eve of the game is just disrespectful. From my view, why it couldn't have waited until tomorrow morning I do not know. I don't think the result would have been the same if he had played."

Tell me he's not indirectly blaming Arsenal for his club's loss to a different club.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:02 pm
  • Arsenal tapped him up. They are making themselves look ridiculous this summer. Funny you saw it another way.

Pogba is 10-15 tops by the way. Draxlar is twice the player and worth 30. Ericksen far more effective and probably 15-20

Really just desperate arsenal media pundits doing all they can.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 pm
  • There is no way that Pogba is worth 20 mil...10...maybe 15.

Trust me, I know. I'm a Utd Supporter...ive seen him play a ton.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 pm
  • Smurf wrote:There is no way that Pogba is worth 20 mil...10...maybe 15.

Trust me, I know. I'm a Utd Supporter...ive seen him play a ton.

yep. 10 is fair, 15 is being generous.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information