2013-14 EPL Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:08 pm
  • Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here relishing the fact that Arsenal won a tough game, Spurs got obliterated, Liverpool salvaged 1 point, and United dropped 2 in the final minute. Anything else? Oh yes, I'll also be watching this on an endless loop for the next few days:

That is one of those things that'd be in an instructional video, telling kids how not to play if you're a goalkeeper.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:53 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here relishing the fact that Arsenal won a tough game, Spurs got obliterated, Liverpool salvaged 1 point, and United dropped 2 in the final minute. Anything else? Oh yes, I'll also be watching this on an endless loop for the next few days:

That is one of those things that'd be in an instructional video, telling kids how not to play if you're a goalkeeper.

it wouldnt be in an instructional video... because everyone already knows goalkeepers shouldnt be trying to beat players on the dribble..

oh well, really took the piss out of what should have been a good match. Credit to Arsenal for doing just enough after to preserve the one goal gift. Penalty was iff, but hey, not the worst decision (or non) of the weekend.

Still, no cracks in Southampton. a tough trip regardless. i dont see them dwelling on the loss too long. Still a top 6 at best team for me.

quick update on the +/- from last years fixtures: Arsenal-1, City now +7, United now -8, Chelsea still -4, Spurs somehow still even, Liverpool still +4.

Nice run for Liverpool coming up (At Hull, home to Norwich and West Ham) before at Spurs, home to Cardiff, at City, at Chelsea, then home to Hull. taking 18 of 24 would be a massive grab (16 of 24 great as well) and set the team up nicely for the window, giving them near 40 points at just over the half way point. 73 was 4th last season, and probably all thats needed for it this year.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    cdallan wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:What a match. Can we defend a set piece please? MOTM Has to be Mignolet.

Edit - Arsenal winning actually a pretty good result for Liverpool today.

A fantastic match. Full of drama. Mirallas should have seem red. But its a derby. Too many unearned red cards ruined past matches.

Liverpool's midfield needs to get better if top 4 is ever a goal

There are all these signs telling people to kick racism out of football. That's just what Miralles was trying to do.

Awk away and shite....ya bawbag

Hmmm. Probably not going to get back in your good books by admitting I was at Celtic Park for the AC Milan Champions' League match tonight then...
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:37 am
  • cdallan wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    cdallan wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:A fantastic match. Full of drama. Mirallas should have seem red. But its a derby. Too many unearned red cards ruined past matches.

Liverpool's midfield needs to get better if top 4 is ever a goal

There are all these signs telling people to kick racism out of football. That's just what Miralles was trying to do.

Awk away and shite....ya bawbag

Hmmm. Probably not going to get back in your good books by admitting I was at Celtic Park for the AC Milan Champions' League match tonight then...

lucky... not the best result though. Poor by Celtic last night.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:52 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here relishing the fact that Arsenal won a tough game, Spurs got obliterated, Liverpool salvaged 1 point, and United dropped 2 in the final minute. Anything else? Oh yes, I'll also be watching this on an endless loop for the next few days:

it wouldnt be in an instructional video... because everyone already knows goalkeepers shouldnt be trying to beat players on the dribble..

oh well, really took the piss out of what should have been a good match. Credit to Arsenal for doing just enough after to preserve the one goal gift. Penalty was iff, but hey, not the worst decision (or non) of the weekend.

Still, no cracks in Southampton. a tough trip regardless. i dont see them dwelling on the loss too long. Still a top 6 at best team for me.

quick update on the +/- from last years fixtures: Arsenal-1, City now +7, United now -8, Chelsea still -4, Spurs somehow still even, Liverpool still +4.

Nice run for Liverpool coming up (At Hull, home to Norwich and West Ham) before at Spurs, home to Cardiff, at City, at Chelsea, then home to Hull. taking 18 of 24 would be a massive grab (16 of 24 great as well) and set the team up nicely for the window, giving them near 40 points at just over the half way point. 73 was 4th last season, and probably all thats needed for it this year.

Boruc was clearly never told then. It wasn't gonna be a match like the Merseyside Derby was. I felt like it was gonna end up like a struggle for both teams, and in all honesty it was. Arsenal was actually very unlucky to not already have 2 goals prior to that comedy act by the Saints' keeper, having two shots go off that left goal post. Southampton did give Arsenal some pretty good scares throughout that match, it was definitely a match between two of the most consistent defenses in the Premier League(don't say Arsenal aren't, cause they haven't conceded more than 1 goal in all but 1 match in the EPL). That penalty decision was one of those things where everyone will go "That always happens" and it does. Did Mertesacker play it up? Yeah, he kinda did, but Fonte did also have more than a handful of the BFG's shirt in the process and was pulling back as well. It definitely was a boarderline call that surprised me, considering how one sided Clattenberg's decisions were throughout that match.

In the end the difference was who made the bigger mistakes, face it, nothing was bigger than Boruc's idiocy.

The incident involving Suarez, I'm probably in the same boat as everyone who were surprised that it wasn't a red card, I kinda get the feeling Suarez's reputation may have played a part(as stupid as that sounds). Then there was Rooney, essentially that decision was the difference between United dropping 2 points and getting no points, it's obvious to anyone who saw the replay that Rooney intentionally kicked at the feet of the Cardiff player and he should've been sent off.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:40 am
  • Correct on both counts, Gate. The suarez challenge was reckless and intended to injure Suarez. Should have been an easy decision to send Mirallas off. Rooney's a dirty wee bastard, he clearly lost his temper and lashed out, again should have been a red. I HATE Man United.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:16 pm
  • Sturridge out with possible ligament damage... Merry effing Christmas. Coutinho unlikely to start the Hull match as well. Tough start to what needs to be a 9 point roll. I think we're fine st home. Hull away (only lost once albeit to 10 man Palace) is the toughest fixture...

Looks like Glen Johnsons replacement is on his way. Will be a good signing. Good start to the Jan. transfer window
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:32 am
  • Liverpool dont have a prayer of winning anything. They have an outside chance of getting 4th but that's the best they can hope for.

No way are they better than Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:23 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:Liverpool dont have a prayer of winning anything. They have an outside chance of getting 4th but that's the best they can hope for.

No way are they better than Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea.

We will know more about all these teams by the end of the month. To make any assertions now is hyperbole at best, nonsense the least.

Liverpool and City have had the biggest improvement on fixtures so far this season. Chelsea is down 7 points now. arsenal still a point. United down 8. Lots to indicate the gaps are closing from last season
    I think its city's to lose...after that its open
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 am
  • Pure shite.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:22 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Pure shite.

Yep... Hull away is tough but that was just a horrible performance. Sluggish and slow through midfield. Still if Moses puts his chance away its a different game.

Oh well.. On to two gone fixtures with Norwich and west ham. Need all 6
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:38 pm
  • I didn't even see the Liverpool match, but is it safe to assume that it can be summed up by this reaction from Kolo Toure:

Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:36 am
  • God you're annoying Gate
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:God you're annoying Gate

Apparently anything I do annoys you, I could say I was getting married(which I'm not) and you'd say that's annoying you. I wasn't even trying to mock Liverpool or anything, I was just asking a simple yes or no question.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:God you're annoying Gate

Apparently anything I do annoys you, I could say I was getting married(which I'm not) and you'd say that's annoying you. I wasn't even trying to mock Liverpool or anything, I was just asking a simple yes or no question.

showing a gif of or centerback pounding the ground in frustration after a 3-1 loss and you dont see how thats annoying...

i dont see marriage in your future anytime soon.

anyways, big games today. be interested to see how Everton-United fare and Arsenal at Hull. I see Arsenals midfield doing exactly what Liverpools didnt, and hopefully setting a marker for Rodgers to follow in the Jan market
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:06 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:God you're annoying Gate

showing a gif of or centerback pounding the ground in frustration after a 3-1 loss and you dont see how thats annoying...

i dont see marriage in your future anytime soon.

anyways, big games today. be interested to see how Everton-United fare and Arsenal at Hull. I see Arsenals midfield doing exactly what Liverpools didnt, and hopefully setting a marker for Rodgers to follow in the Jan market

Two words Si: BENDTNER SCORED!

Is that not a jawdropper or what?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:12 pm
  • Really more amazing than Suarez' 40 yard chip... Bendtner? I'm in shock, as is Hull
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Really more amazing than Suarez' 40 yard chip... Bendtner? I'm in shock, as is Hull

No just the words Bendtner and scored alone together in the same sentence is the shock. That was a great goal by Suarez though.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Really more amazing than Suarez' 40 yard chip... Bendtner? I'm in shock, as is Hull

No just the words Bendtner and scored alone together in the same sentence is the shock. That was a great goal by Suarez though.

His 3rd may have been better.

I have to admit, i was delighted to see Bendtner on the team sheet... but what do I know, i'm not French
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm
  • That Suarez bloke's alright, eh.

I've been watching the Fulham Spurs game which was a cracker. I wish one or two of those incredibly dull same fixtures I went to in years past were a bit more like this one.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:04 pm
  • It's Suarez's world and we are all just living in it.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 pm
  • I'm just grateful we have Suarez now that Sturridge is out for a bit. The two of them together are deadly, but one or the other is enough to win some games. Funny how Moyes leaving Everton made them better....and United much worse.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:30 pm
  • Apart from a few nervy moments, that was as comfortable as it could've been for Arsenal today. Hull barely threatened and when they did, it wasn't that dangerous. I know I probably wasn't the only one who stopped celebrating for a few seconds after the first goal when I realized who it was that scored it, I mean who even remembers the last time Bendtner started a Premier League match for Arsenal, let alone score in one unless they look it up. I can't even believe it that I was impressed with Bendtner's performance. Oh and Ozil, almost forgot about that "overrated" player who's got 3 assists and 1 goal in his last 3 appearances, what a great goal by Ozil finishing off a perfect through ball by Ramsey. The game was so good that, I swear to God, I thought I was hearing "In Arsene We Trust" chants at one point.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:31 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:I'm just grateful we have Suarez now that Sturridge is out for a bit. The two of them together are deadly, but one or the other is enough to win some games. Funny how Moyes leaving Everton made them better....and United much worse.

Don't you mean Moyes and Fellaini?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:I'm just grateful we have Suarez now that Sturridge is out for a bit. The two of them together are deadly, but one or the other is enough to win some games. Funny how Moyes leaving Everton made them better....and United much worse.

What a day for Suarez... 3 world class goals (first and third are instant candidates for goal of the year. 1st was the better) and 4 on the day.

Would have liked to have seen Aspas. Seems its time to work him into the fold.

Everton look the part. Shitty....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:I'm just grateful we have Suarez now that Sturridge is out for a bit. The two of them together are deadly, but one or the other is enough to win some games. Funny how Moyes leaving Everton made them better....and United much worse.

Don't you mean Moyes and Fellaini?

To be honest, in watchting the game (I watched it later that night), United deserved far better. they didnt play great, but hit the bar like 3 (maybe 4 times) and missed some golden chances. Everton were never really dangerous outside a quick break and the goal came late off of one of those really poorly hit shots that turn into the perfect cross.

I dont see Everton as better (they were good last year) because of Moyes/Martinez... they've got three great players on loan who inject quality in the side and the remarkable emergency of Ross Barkley (a Liverpool resident who our academy inexplicably missed ala Rooney)

They are certainly a solid group though, and a real threat at top 4 (for now, i feel like depth will be their undoing)

United's problems do much deeper. They lack pace and quality through the midfield (sounds familiar) and if their strikers cant bail them out they get stuck (again... sounds familair). this is a new issue for United, and I dont think necessarily one of Moyes creation. It was obvious in his transfer dealings in the summer he desperately wanted an attacking midfielder, and we can see why. Wile Kagawa probably deserved more time early in the season, he's getting it now and not doing the most with it.

I will gleefully watch United struggle. I feel it can go two ways... continue to be a horror show of inconsistency to the point where the pressure unravels them, or they simply get better through the midfield and make a concerted charge at the top 4 in February-April.
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I dont see Everton as better (they were good last year) because of Moyes/Martinez... they've got three great players on loan who inject quality in the side and the remarkable emergency of Ross Barkley (a Liverpool resident who our academy inexplicably missed ala Rooney).

Definitely when we're talking about that, Lukaku comes to mind right away, Mourinho is stupid to think Chelsea is fine without him. Also gotta think Tim Howard also has played a key role in Everton's performance this season.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 am
  • Daily Mail put up an interesting article about where the teams would be without the contributions of their loan signings, and as you'd probably expect, Lukaku is a key difference maker for Everton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ukaku.html
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am
  • Aye, that'll do, aye.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Aye, that'll do, aye.

Indeed.... Now the tricky part. Spurs Chelsea and City away with Cardiff at home sprinkled in. Can we get 5 points from those 4? Would give us 35 after 19 and all our major fixtures home the second time through..

I think 70-74 takes 4th
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:47 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Aye, that'll do, aye.

Indeed.... Now the tricky part. Spurs Chelsea and City away with Cardiff at home sprinkled in. Can we get 5 points from those 4? Would give us 35 after 19 and all our major fixtures home the second time through..

I think 70-74 takes 4th

I'd rather have 6 from those 4. I think we can beat Spurs, beat Cardiff at home and possibly nick a point from Chelsea. City just seem unbeatable at home, although shite on the road.

Wouldn't mind the toffees doing us a wee favor in the morning...

Also, United fans surely can't be happy. Not just that they're losing, but the team as a whole just looks horrendous. RVP is nothing without service, and their midfield is shambolic. None of those guys would start for any other PL team. Rooney is far and away their best player and he's obviously unhappy and looking to move on. hard times ahead for them. lol.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:44 pm
  • Arsenal extremely lucky today. Everton should feel hard done-by to not pick up all three.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 pm
  • Can't say much about the game as I was at work at the time, but I suppose it's a fair result, Everton aren't exactly that easy to break down, and they're gonna take points from a lot of top sides. The players definitely had their focus split today, with the crucial CL match in Naples on Wednesday, from what I did see. In the end Arsenal at least extended their lead to 5 points and I'll take, would've preferred it to be 7.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:28 pm
  • Interesting draw today as the 3rd round matches of the FA cup were decided and easily the highlight of the draw is the North London Derby. Looking into it, it's the first time in almost 6 years that Arsenal and Spurs will meet outside of the EPL. I think it'll be a good game, though Spurs are gonna have the tougher go as they've lost each of their last 3 trips to the Emirates by a combined 11-2 score. Still hope it's a good game(and it ends with the Red side of North London on top again).

The other intriguing match ups include: Liverpool vs Oldham or Mansfield(the Reds played both teams in last years FA Cup, if you recall, with Oldham eliminating them), and Man United vs Swansea.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Arsenal extremely lucky today. Everton should feel hard done-by to not pick up all three.

I dont know, I didnt see it that way. Thought Everton did a masterful job with their high press in the first half, but cant say they created much (aside from disruption) from it. the last 10 minutes of the first half and the first nearly 35 of the second really belonged to Arsenal. Both goals came in, and then Giroud crashed the bar the last second.

Everton look the part of a disruptive group. I love their philosophy (they high press, attack with the dribble and will rattle bodies until cards are flashed). However, they lack final ball distribution and once youve beaten their press they are very susceptible in the back. if not for Tim Howard they should have been down a goal entering the break.

Arsenal in the meanwhile finally took that stomach punch. They were outplayed physically and tactically for the better part of 35 minutes... they found their nerve but still lost 2 points. Everton may have found that blue print on taking away their strength (midfield).. they really offer very little from the striker position alone (Giroud works wonderfully with advancing mids, but not in isolation as a Suarez, Rooney, RvP, Torres in his prime would)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 pm
  • Looking at the results of this weekend, you can easily say Arsenal didn't have the best, but they didn't have the worst. City dropping points(on the road again) is worse than Arsenal dropping points to a very well organised Everton side, who's extremely difficult to take max points from this year, and then there's Chelsea losing to Stoke, don't really need to explain that.

Yeah it's probably gonna be seen as 2 points dropped for the Gunners, but it could end up being a crucial point gained in the end, remember each of the last 2 seasons Arsenal qualified for the Champions League by a single point both times. And a 5 point cushion can be huge for them cause, worse case scenario for them, they would be only 1 behind anyone who leapfrogs them after the next two league games against City and Chelsea(both of which seem to be having Jekyll and Hyde type seasons).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:Looking at the results of this weekend, you can easily say Arsenal didn't have the best, but they didn't have the worst. City dropping points(on the road again) is worse than Arsenal dropping points to a very well organised Everton side, who's extremely difficult to take max points from this year, and then there's Chelsea losing to Stoke, don't really need to explain that.

Yeah it's probably gonna be seen as 2 points dropped for the Gunners, but it could end up being a crucial point gained in the end, remember each of the last 2 seasons Arsenal qualified for the Champions League by a single point both times. And a 5 point cushion can be huge for them cause, worse case scenario for them, they would be only 1 behind anyone who leapfrogs them after the next two league games against City and Chelsea(both of which seem to be having Jekyll and Hyde type seasons).

two things...

Again, its not a "cushion". Where you sit in the table is irrelevant until March (maybe February, when you are getting through the second time through).

Arsenal is now -3 in similar fixtures from last year (a total that got them 73 points). Everyone has dropped as well (outside Liverpool, who are now +8). Keep an eye on those comparisons in looking at the point total from last year to this. Heck, 80 points might win the league this year.

Also, "dropping" points to a top 6 team is fine as long as you gain one as well. No shame in drawing any from Arsenal, Liverpool, United, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton either on the road or home.

Ferguson won his titles by playing those games close to the vest, never dropping three, always taking one and three when possible. But those strong United squads always took three from the lesser opponents. Arsenal (and Liverpool outside the Hull result) have done that. City and chelsea have not.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:two things...

Again, its not a "cushion". Where you sit in the table is irrelevant until March (maybe February, when you are getting through the second time through).

Arsenal is now -3 in similar fixtures from last year (a total that got them 73 points). Everyone has dropped as well (outside Liverpool, who are now +8). Keep an eye on those comparisons in looking at the point total from last year to this. Heck, 80 points might win the league this year.

Also, "dropping" points to a top 6 team is fine as long as you gain one as well. No shame in drawing any from Arsenal, Liverpool, United, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton either on the road or home.

Ferguson won his titles by playing those games close to the vest, never dropping three, always taking one and three when possible. But those strong United squads always took three from the lesser opponents. Arsenal (and Liverpool outside the Hull result) have done that. City and chelsea have not.

Would you just drop that stupid +/- similar fixtures crap. It's irrellevent to here and now. Of course Liverpool has a +8, they were 11th after 15 games last year! Arsenal are -3 you say? But last season at this point last year, they were 10th. Do you see how pointless your stats are? Arsenal are -3 now but 1st, and Liverpool are +8 and 2nd. How's about you worry about right now and not the past like the majority of Liverpool fans enjoy doing.

You really wanna get technical, Arsenal drew with Everton, who beat Chelsea and United, and had a scoreless draw with Spurs. How's that for pointless debate.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 pm
  • Its cool that you don't get it Gate... But an epic bitch ass rant from you just the same. Don't forget to dry your crack once you rinse her.
    Why don't you do this ...explain how the here and now is somehow more relevant mathematically than comparing fixtures.

I won't explain it to you again because honestly you're not able to grasp its relevance and too defensive to see any point.

I also won't point back to the numerous other posts on it and how the +/- is in relation to last years results (Liverpool's +8 is in relation to its 61 points earned last year... but hey, if you cant see how needed to go from 50+ to 70+ to grab a top 4 is relevant, well dont let me try and help point it out to you... or how City won the league with 86 and usually it takes roughly 80+ points to win the league, and right now Arsenal is on pace for 70-73.... and it changes with each result) and nothing more because pointing out these things wouldn't get through your thickheaded irrationality and ignorance. No that's just a Liverpool fan living in the past. Ridiculous but expected response given you've shown no faculty to comprehend any basic understanding of the game outside your pseudo Arsenal crush. These are the things the managers look at it. where can they grab points, what is their average points per game, not just simply looking at the table. what will it take to get top 6, top 4, win the title. Obviously it can change, but history is fairly predictable in terms of points needed. Again, dont bother reading into it. just keep pointing to the current table.

Lets take an example. Liverpool are +8 on the season and standing 2nd. However, most knowledgable supporters see a three game away stretch with Spurs, City and Chelsea coming up. they see this as determining the season. Last year we pulled 2 points from those fixtures and finished with 61 points. If we go through the stretch again the same way (which would suck) we would most lilley drop to 5th-8th. however, we would still be on pace for 70+ points. This is where being 1st, 2nd, 8th doesnt mean much. The league table will be far more important in March and April than December. I find this obvious. It doesnt surprise me you dont.

To be truthful though I will post whatever the hell I want Gate, and continue to suffer through your nonsensical illogical ramblings because as a board member I have to.

But really I just wish your mom would cut your internet off and send you back to your room to study.

Fair? Or you can f--- off. Your call kid
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:49 am
  • City can't hit the extra point but happy to get a touchdown....what a rampant display. Just marauding through the Arsenal midfield (who clearly didn't need arteta as he's not even their best mid)

City are just ridiculous at home. Not very excited about the trip there. Credit to Arsenal for bagging three and should feel the 4th was there. Does leave hope that teams can score there. As for Arsenal... Lot of finger pointing at the end of the match (including Wilshere flipping off a teammate and Giroud calling out oil) Two defeats and a draw their last three.. They need a response against Chelsea.

Still... A win AT Bayern and now this? City quickly asserting themselves as league leaders and maybe top 4 in the world
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:21 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:City can't hit the extra point but happy to get a touchdown....what a rampant display. Just marauding through the Arsenal midfield (who clearly didn't need arteta as he's not even their best mid)

City are just ridiculous at home. Not very excited about the trip there. Credit to Arsenal for bagging three and should feel the 4th was there. Does leave hope that teams can score there. As for Arsenal... Lot of finger pointing at the end of the match (including Wilshere flipping off a teammate and Giroud calling out oil) Two defeats and a draw their last three.. They need a response against Chelsea.

Still... A win AT Bayern and now this? City quickly asserting themselves as league leaders and maybe top 4 in the world

The game was a lot closer than that 6-3 scoreline dictates in my mind. 4 of City's goals came from Arsenal's mistakes(no excuse for any of those still) and Arsenal had 3 chances(not goals, chances) disallowed by questionable offsides decisions. I really gotta think how this game would've turned out if Arsenal and City hadn't had Champions League matches midweek, or at least equal amount of time to recover. The game was extremely open and there probably should've been more goals in it.

As for the two instances, Wilshere's bird was probably the result of frustration with the referees decisions, and Mertesacker(not Giroud) was apparently upset that Ozil didn't applaud the fans for coming out, though Mesut probably was too upset with the loss to be in the mood to do so.

I do want to take the positives from this game, namely that Arsenal scored more goals at the Etihad than the previous 7 visitors combined and that they never really stopped playing until the end. Out of the 3 tough EPL matches Arsenal had, this was the match I wouldn't mind losing cause of how strong City have been at home.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am
  • No shame in losing at the Etihad. Giroud got on Ozil as well. Seemed from his lack of effort at the end. Either way..just a bit if frustration being shown from a probably worn out team.

6 goals is a lot. But just more City's class. Looking more and more likely its their league to lose. If the play better away it will be tough to see them not finishing atop the table.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:No shame in losing at the Etihad. Giroud got on Ozil as well. Seemed from his lack of effort at the end. Either way..just a bit if frustration being shown from a probably worn out team.

6 goals is a lot. But just more City's class. Looking more and more likely its their league to lose. If the play better away it will be tough to see them not finishing atop the table.

That's why I refuse to think of City as title favorites, cause they're horrifically out of wack on the road.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:10 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:No shame in losing at the Etihad. Giroud got on Ozil as well. Seemed from his lack of effort at the end. Either way..just a bit if frustration being shown from a probably worn out team.

That's why I refuse to think of City as title favorites, cause they're horrifically out of wack on the road.

They're the favorites if you admit it or not.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:No shame in losing at the Etihad. Giroud got on Ozil as well. Seemed from his lack of effort at the end. Either way..just a bit if frustration being shown from a probably worn out team.

Last 3 on the road were beating west brom drawing Southampton and beating Europe's best team.

Arsenal just shipped 6 goals to them. 6 goals. Let that sink in. You can say Arsenal could have had more. So should city. Spurs conceded the same. United 4...etc.

No doubt they've struggled but it looks like they've turned it...and if so they are clear league favorites.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:59 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:

Last 3 on the road were beating west brom drawing Southampton and beating Europe's best team.

Arsenal just shipped 6 goals to them. 6 goals. Let that sink in. You can say Arsenal could have had more. So should city. Spurs conceded the same. United 4...etc.

No doubt they've struggled but it looks like they've turned it...and if so they are clear league favorites.

You can also look at it as City shipped 3 goals after having conceded just 2 in their previous 7 at home in the league. Yeah it was an impressive win for City, but in the end Arsenal's defense(and to a slightly lesser extent their decision making) was just flat worse than City's today and that ended up being the deciding factor.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:07 pm
  • Aren't those typically the deciding factors in any match? Arsenal were outclassed today. The attacking duet up top is too much for any defense that visits...the midfield quite capable of matching the best in the world.

Arsenal did well to score three...but this game was all City
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:38 pm
  • Okay Si, since it seems to be in your nature to torch any rational thought by me down, would you agree with this guy:

Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:18 am
  • So you're posting arsenal fan videos now?

Such a twat...

Gate, my nature has nothing to do with you. To be honest I couldnt care less about you or your thoughts on any of this. I'm a fan if the league and sport. Yesterday was an important game in the sport and City did everything to assert themselves as league favorites and European contenders. If some irrational fanboy of Arsenal keeps on about his team after giving up a touchdown worth of goals than good for him. No one will take that seriously.

Identifying your shit defense and calling on the need to get things fixed would have been "rationale"... But that's just not in your nature
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 am
  • :snack:
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]