2013-14 EPL Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:08 am
  • Scale of 1-10, how pathetic was the Norwich defense in that goal by Wilshere? 4 guys surrounded him and he waltzed through to get on the end of an amazing pass by Giroud.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 am
  • well Gate... we should know very soon what Arsenal really are. nothing to take away from Arsenal in dismantling Norwich (outside some poor defending again). But that looked like a training session. Norwich was very poor defensively, no pressure on the ball, massive gaps in their lanes and a complete lack of tackling and marking. Still, Arsenal had to score. Newcastle werent any better than the Canaries and Liverpool failed to take advantage of it.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal have benefitted from a "light" start to the season (both have played one of the top teams, although Southampton could/should count in that for Liverpool). Now Arsenal will hit a meaty (to say the least) portion of the schedule. How they come out on the other end could say alot of what they accomplish
    Next 7 fixtures:

Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund Tue 22 Oct 19:45
    Crystal Palace v Arsenal Sat 26 Oct 12:45
    Arsenal v Chelsea Tue 29 Oct 19:45
    Arsenal v Liverpool Sat 2 Nov 17:30
    Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal Wed 6 Nov 19:45
    Man Utd v Arsenal Sun 10 Nov 16:10
    Arsenal v Southampton Sat 23 Nov 15:00

Liverpool meanwhile have an odd set of fixtures coming. Nothing like the run Arsenal must go on. But, Liverpool will play Arsenal, Everton, City, Chelsea and Spurs away before New Years (we have plenty of lesser fixtures mixed in). Those fixtures last year netted a total 4 points. will need more than that this time around to stay around 4th.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 am
  • Really strong bounce back from Arsenal today. Stormed out of the 2nd half gates and looked strong going forward for the most part in the half. Crystal Palace looked a lot better going forward from the 65th minute on, due to Arsenal going down to 10 men thanks to a somewhat questionable decision by Foy after a foul by Arteta. Szczesny made two amazing saves, one of which is easily a candidate for save of the week, due to it denying a potential goal of the week candidate, really showing his ability to be one of the best keepers in the Premier. And Palace came close a number of times before they got caught on the break with a very nice header by Ollie G.

About that red card on Arteta. We all know it was given because Arteta was the "last man", but when the contact occurs 40-50 yards from goal and the player in possession of the ball is clearly not the fastest guy on the pitch, should it really count as a last man rule? I know you guys will say it's a red card, but I find it kinda funny how Arteta was sent off for a last man foul 50 yards from the goal.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:35 am
  • Suarez. Name a better player in England, ill wait.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:21 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Suarez. Name a better player in England, ill wait.

great performance for the Reds today. Suarez was unplayable and the partnership with Sturridge and soon coutinho is beginning to really take form.

Gate... Its a red. Unfortunate maybe but think of all the teams who play high lines..
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:47 pm
  • Gate, shut up. It's a red every time, doesn't matter how far from goal you are or how fast the attacking player is.

Anyway, Suarez and Sturridge are unstoppable right now. Coutinho back next week for the Arse-nal match, he'll add another new dimension. HUGE match next week, could really make a statement with a result at the Emirates. Could go either way, really, they are the two best teams in England at the minute, the league standings are an accurate reflection of that.

Jammie bastards United again today, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Still, United are streets behind everyone else this year, will be lucky to finish in the top 6.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:54 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Gate, shut up. It's a red every time, doesn't matter how far from goal you are or how fast the attacking player is.

Anyway, Suarez and Sturridge are unstoppable right now. Coutinho back next week for the Arse-nal match, he'll add another new dimension. HUGE match next week, could really make a statement with a result at the Emirates. Could go either way, really, they are the two best teams in England at the minute, the league standings are an accurate reflection of that.

Jammie bastards United again today, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Still, United are streets behind everyone else this year, will be lucky to finish in the top 6.

I mean he did say a rather tepid performance to Crystal Palace was a "nice bounce back"...

Arsenal got three point. Outside of that not very convincing. Felt like they needed to answer questions but failed to do so.

I'm sure the wee will be different. Interested to see what their midweek lineup will be.

Gate, with Liverpool on the horizon what would you as a supporter prefer for the league cup tie? Full squad or reserves mixed in?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:40 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Gate, shut up. It's a red every time, doesn't matter how far from goal you are or how fast the attacking player is.

I mean he did say a rather tepid performance to Crystal Palace was a "nice bounce back"...

Arsenal got three point. Outside of that not very convincing. Felt like they needed to answer questions but failed to do so.

I'm sure the wee will be different. Interested to see what their midweek lineup will be.

Gate, with Liverpool on the horizon what would you as a supporter prefer for the league cup tie? Full squad or reserves mixed in?

Let's be honest here, Palace is probably the most unlucky side in the EPL right now, they're really tough to play at Selhurst Park, mostly cause of those fans of theirs, and they come at you. Everyone thought this'd be a massacre, but they really hung with Arsenal for a long time. And you gotta give credit to the Gunners to, when Arteta was sent off(I'm still a bit baffled at that decision and so is Wenger), Arsenal could have sat back and defended for 25 minutes, but no they went at Crystal Palace and eventually got a 2nd thanks to a decent cross by Ramsey to Giroud. I like this new mindset Arsenal seem to have, like before if they were in that situation, everyone but Giroud would be back defending, now, they get the ball, they go forward and they try to get another goal.

As for Tuesday, I'd rather see a mix. Not like the match against West Brom where it was mostly young guns, I'm hoping some mostly experienced players get somewhat of a decent amount of playing time. I can't really see Mourinho putting out a really strong team, especially with the fact that they play Man City just two days prior, I think that plays into Arsenal's favor a bit, so probably a mixture of experience and youth will do just fine for me.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:34 am
  • Decent response, Gate. I watched the Aeteta foul again last night, and I just have to think that's gonna be a red card 9 times out of 10. Chamakh has position and a clear path to the goal, Arteta literally pulls him down in desperation. It's a red card per the rulebook. Might appear harsh, but the ref followed the rulebook in this situation. Arteta needs to shut up and get on with it.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:08 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Decent response, Gate. I watched the Aeteta foul again last night, and I just have to think that's gonna be a red card 9 times out of 10. Chamakh has position and a clear path to the goal, Arteta literally pulls him down in desperation. It's a red card per the rulebook. Might appear harsh, but the ref followed the rulebook in this situation. Arteta needs to shut up and get on with it.

Under what the rule says, yes it was a last man challenge, but it was in a position where some people are gonna question whether it's truly last man or not. Arteta's even under the same impression that I was(same with Wenger), even adding that he believes there was just as much contact from Chamakh on him as he had on Chamakh.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:31 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Decent response, Gate. I watched the Aeteta foul again last night, and I just have to think that's gonna be a red card 9 times out of 10. Chamakh has position and a clear path to the goal, Arteta literally pulls him down in desperation. It's a red card per the rulebook. Might appear harsh, but the ref followed the rulebook in this situation. Arteta needs to shut up and get on with it.

Under what the rule says, yes it was a last man challenge, but it was in a position where some people are gonna question whether it's truly last man or not. Arteta's even under the same impression that I was(same with Wenger), even adding that he believes there was just as much contact from Chamakh on him as he had on Chamakh.

Shocking that the player who got the red card, his coach , and a fan of the team have issues with the card. I wonder what Palace fans think?

Give it a rest Gate. Wenger whines about every call against Arsenal to point of almost ridiculous hypocrisy.

As a former college back... Its a red card. Your taught not to be caught flat their. Sometimes it happens. It happened to Arteta. I don't what else to say. You keep arguing the call (as you do most calls that go against Arsenal) and we keep saying its a red. Change the record or take your case to the Arsenal fan board for support
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Shocking that the player who got the red card, his coach , and a fan of the team have issues with the card. I wonder what Palace fans think?

Give it a rest Gate. Wenger whines about every call against Arsenal to point of almost ridiculous hypocrisy.

As a former college back... Its a red card. Your taught not to be caught flat their. Sometimes it happens. It happened to Arteta. I don't what else to say. You keep arguing the call (as you do most calls that go against Arsenal) and we keep saying its a red. Change the record or take your case to the Arsenal fan board for support

Okay, you better explain to me where the hell I said it wasn't a red card. I never said it wasn't, all I was saying was that it's funny how where that foul occurred counts as a last man challenge. I'm not disputing the decision, I'm not arguing the decision, I'm not calling BS on it either.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:19 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Shocking that the player who got the red card, his coach , and a fan of the team have issues with the card. I wonder what Palace fans think?

Okay, you better explain to me where the hell I said it wasn't a red card. I never said it wasn't, all I was saying was that it's funny how where that foul occurred counts as a last man challenge. I'm not disputing the decision, I'm not arguing the decision, I'm not calling BS on it either.

your have three posts questioning the call Gate... so "when the hell" is literally just up the thread. is that sufficient? Maybe you've convinced yourself that passive aggressive complaining isnt the same thing as whining or arguing...

I really dont even understand where the dispute it is... he's the last man, its piss poor tactical defending from Arsenal (on their own effing set piece no less). Arteta clatters into him. Whetehr Chamakh takes the angle or not doesnt mean Arteta can bring him down...

And honestly gate are you so naive or ridiculously hypocritical of Arsenal to not understand the last defender rule... hell your squad was hit by a similar counter against Villa in the first game of the season,. Everton hit you last year. Being the last defender anywhere on the field means you're stopping a goal scoring opportunity. its not that debatable.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:42 am
  • Are you guys in America forced to endure the English commentators? Good God are they awful. Last night, in the Spurs v Hull cup game, we were forced to endure something I didn't think was possible: a match commentary worse than anything uttered even by Mark Lawrenson or Andy Grey. I'm not sure if he's a troll or just someone whose understsnding of the game derives entirely from reading the sports pages of the Sun, but I've never heard someone be so viciously critical when the criticism was completely unwarranted as Jon Champion was last night. He laid into Lamela all game long, despite the fact thst Lamela clearly played a good game. It's not his fault that he was playing the ball to Defoe rather than Totti. He had a great passing game and created space in a way that Lennon couldn't against the same team on Sunday. Sure, I'd like to see him shoot more but I'm sure that will come when he becomes more comfortable in the system.

Champion slagged off the crowd and the atmosphere all game long.... and the atmosphere sounded great. Lots of songs and loud encouragement. He made a point of highlighting the crowd's boos.... when they were clearly showing affection for Kabooooooooul!

I found a different stream in Portuguese and happily watched extra time in blissful ignorance. When I play sports game on the playstation the first thing I do is turn off the commentary. I genuinely wish television networks would give us that option.

I know that there are plenty of intelligent, insightful and articulate sports fans out there. Why do they force us to endure the complete opposite?

I know that, as with many stereotypes, there is a sizeable minority who definitely make the term 'whingeing Pom' justified, but it is a minority. I wish the football media wasn't so overwhelmingly negative.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:40 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Are you guys in America forced to endure the English commentators? Good God are they awful. Last night, in the Spurs v Hull cup game, we were forced to endure something I didn't think was possible: a match commentary worse than anything uttered even by Mark Lawrenson or Andy Grey. I'm not sure if he's a troll or just someone whose understsnding of the game derives entirely from reading the sports pages of the Sun, but I've never heard someone be so viciously critical when the criticism was completely unwarranted as Jon Champion was last night. He laid into Lamela all game long, despite the fact thst Lamela clearly played a good game. It's not his fault that he was playing the ball to Defoe rather than Totti. He had a great passing game and created space in a way that Lennon couldn't against the same team on Sunday. Sure, I'd like to see him shoot more but I'm sure that will come when he becomes more comfortable in the system.

Champion slagged off the crowd and the atmosphere all game long.... and the atmosphere sounded great. Lots of songs and loud encouragement. He made a point of highlighting the crowd's boos.... when they were clearly showing affection for Kabooooooooul!

I found a different stream in Portuguese and happily watched extra time in blissful ignorance. When I play sports game on the playstation the first thing I do is turn off the commentary. I genuinely wish television networks would give us that option.

I know that there are plenty of intelligent, insightful and articulate sports fans out there. Why do they force us to endure the complete opposite?

I know that, as with many stereotypes, there is a sizeable minority who definitely make the term 'whingeing Pom' justified, but it is a minority. I wish the football media wasn't so overwhelmingly negative.

Spur... only the truly good ones know how to discuss a game on its merit without letting hyperbole or wind ups take over the broadcast. Unfortunately their are too many who cant discuss the game as it is, and therefore devolve into immature antics to make themselves sound smarter... the easiest way to sound like you know whats going on is to criticize someone else.

Anyways, when it comes to footy, I stream the games and unless I get the Liverpool broadcasters or the man Sky/BBC crew just turn the sound down. Often i'll match it in another language just to save myself the trouble.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:13 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:your have three posts questioning the call Gate... so "when the hell" is literally just up the thread. is that sufficient? Maybe you've convinced yourself that passive aggressive complaining isnt the same thing as whining or arguing...

I really dont even understand where the dispute it is... he's the last man, its piss poor tactical defending from Arsenal (on their own effing set piece no less). Arteta clatters into him. Whetehr Chamakh takes the angle or not doesnt mean Arteta can bring him down...

And honestly gate are you so naive or ridiculously hypocritical of Arsenal to not understand the last defender rule... hell your squad was hit by a similar counter against Villa in the first game of the season,. Everton hit you last year. Being the last defender anywhere on the field means you're stopping a goal scoring opportunity. its not that debatable.

Maybe I should dumb it down for you. I was never questioning the referee's decision(if I did I could point out that in some replays Chamakh looked to be the instigator of the contact, but that's besides the point), I was questioning the logic in the rule that the ref utilized in his decision. It could've been anyone on the ball, Chamakh, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Ibra, or Lewendowski and it still have a vast majority make the remark that 50 yards from goal is not a clear goal scoring opportunity. It's done, it's over with, Arteta's served his suspension so let's just drop it. Though you probably won't, as no matter what I say, you'll claim I'm being hypocritical, or diluted or stupid. I don't even know why I answer your questions because you'll never just go "you got a point" you'll just act like I don't know shit about what I'm talking about.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:Are you guys in America forced to endure the English commentators? Good God are they awful. Last night, in the Spurs v Hull cup game, we were forced to endure something I didn't think was possible: a match commentary worse than anything uttered even by Mark Lawrenson or Andy Grey. I'm not sure if he's a troll or just someone whose understsnding of the game derives entirely from reading the sports pages of the Sun, but I've never heard someone be so viciously critical when the criticism was completely unwarranted as Jon Champion was last night. He laid into Lamela all game long, despite the fact thst Lamela clearly played a good game. It's not his fault that he was playing the ball to Defoe rather than Totti. He had a great passing game and created space in a way that Lennon couldn't against the same team on Sunday. Sure, I'd like to see him shoot more but I'm sure that will come when he becomes more comfortable in the system.

Spur... only the truly good ones know how to discuss a game on its merit without letting hyperbole or wind ups take over the broadcast. Unfortunately their are too many who cant discuss the game as it is, and therefore devolve into immature antics to make themselves sound smarter... the easiest way to sound like you know whats going on is to criticize someone else.

Anyways, when it comes to footy, I stream the games and unless I get the Liverpool broadcasters or the man Sky/BBC crew just turn the sound down. Often i'll match it in another language just to save myself the trouble.

It's depressing, isn't it. I mentioned this one because last night was a clear new low for me, even worse than Lawrenson at the Euros or Murray Mexted commentating on NZ rugby. Champion had obviously read the Sun's storylines from the weekend (toxic atmosphere at the Lane, fans disappointed in Lamela signing, Steve Bruce hard done by) and practiced his lines in the shower before the match. When the opposite happened he barrelled on regardless.

What disappoints me is that there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who could have done a better job than what he did last night and he probably got paid upwards of a grand for his 'effort'. I could have done better, you could have done better, Rob's in the football & microphone business and, given the amount of good work that he puts into player and scheme analysis in American football, I have no doubt that he would have done a whole lot better. I don't know which network last night's game was on, but it was a piss poor effort.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:20 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:your have three posts questioning the call Gate... so "when the hell" is literally just up the thread. is that sufficient? Maybe you've convinced yourself that passive aggressive complaining isnt the same thing as whining or arguing...

Maybe I should dumb it down for you. I was never questioning the referee's decision(if I did I could point out that in some replays Chamakh looked to be the instigator of the contact, but that's besides the point), I was questioning the logic in the rule that the ref utilized in his decision. It could've been anyone on the ball, Chamakh, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Ibra, or Lewendowski and it still have a vast majority make the remark that 50 yards from goal is not a clear goal scoring opportunity. It's done, it's over with, Arteta's served his suspension so let's just drop it. Though you probably won't, as no matter what I say, you'll claim I'm being hypocritical, or diluted or stupid. I don't even know why I answer your questions because you'll never just go "you got a point" you'll just act like I don't know shit about what I'm talking about.

Gate for christsake.....let me dumb it down for you kid...

I'm fairly sure you have an idea of what you're trying to say. but you often come off the other way then get overly defensive when called on it. and as soon as I think to believe it you say "50 yards from goal is not a clear goal scoring opportunity" completey ignoring that a. yes it is 2. your own team gave up a 70 yard breakaway against Villa to open the campaign. the only vast majority in this regards are gunner fans.

when you say "i'm a bit baffled by the decision, as is Wenger" you are more than questioning the logic of the rule. If you cant understand your own passive aggressive whining than i've no hope for you. (like your ridiculous gif of Suarez getting taken down in the box a couple years ago in front of Arsenal goal that despite showing a clear foul you continued to parade on about) So no, you havent made "a point". you brought it up, i responded, you kept on about it. your reputation to question every little thing that goes against Arsenal is a well earned one.

this weekend is too big to continue this drivel. Looks as though Arteta (edit... seems as if he's playing) and Flamini will miss, as well as Coutinho (atleast in a start).

its a great matchup considering the unique strengths that both teams have and how they contrast the other team's weaknesses (Arsenal's Mids v. Liverpool Mids; Liverpool strikers v. Arsenal's D). its rare to see two teams so equally balanced in scoring and points so unequally balanced in strengths and weaknesses.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:54 pm
  • 1-3 LFC. Suarez with 2 and a Sahko header from a corner.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:52 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:1-3 LFC. Suarez with 2 and a Sahko header from a corner.

That's being highly optimistic. Only Aston Villa has scored multiple goals on Arsenal in the EPL this year, and two of their goals came off penalties. If Liverpool do score, Suarez or Sturridge will likely be the one to do so. I'd say a draw or Arsenal win is the likely outcome. Liverpool have been playing that 3 man back line and with players like Ozil and the in form Ramsey, Liverpool will be playing with fire all game.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:36 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:1-3 LFC. Suarez with 2 and a Sahko header from a corner.

That's being highly optimistic. Only Aston Villa has scored multiple goals on Arsenal in the EPL this year, and two of their goals came off penalties. If Liverpool do score, Suarez or Sturridge will likely be the one to do so. I'd say a draw or Arsenal win is the likely outcome. Liverpool have been playing that 3 man back line and with players like Ozil and the in form Ramsey, Liverpool will be playing with fire all game.

Its three center backs and two wing back defenders. Each wb is responsible for the balance when the ball is on the other side of the field. Its always 4 and often 5 defender's.. But hey, simple tactics shouldn't trip anyone up.

A draw here would be a nice result for Liverpool. I see us scoring. Hopefully we score enough
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:38 am
  • If? When.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:19 am
  • Oh well... Take your chances better and grab a point. Atkinson blew the Liverpool goal. Ramsey's was a dagger
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:15 pm
  • All week, all I heard from the media was how SAS would carve up the Arsenal defense and yet they got nothing. Arsenal win and thanks to Newcastle stunning Chelsea, Arsenal are now 5 points clear at the top heading into next week's match at Old Trafford.

To be honest, I didn't see the match due to work, still am at work as I type this, all I have to go on is by what I've read on twitter.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:All week, all I heard from the media was how SAS would carve up the Arsenal defense and yet they got nothing. Arsenal win and thanks to Newcastle stunning Chelsea, Arsenal are now 5 points clear at the top heading into next week's match at Old Trafford.

To be honest, I didn't see the match due to work, still am at work as I type this, all I have to go on is by what I've read on twitter.

Goal disallowed that should have stood and Suarez missed 4-5 golden chances including striking the post.

Since you didn't watch it I'd think taking the 3 points without assumptive comments wou...

Oh wait, its Gate.

Arsenal held their home. Long way to go before anything is settled though
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:All week, all I heard from the media was how SAS would carve up the Arsenal defense and yet they got nothing. Arsenal win and thanks to Newcastle stunning Chelsea, Arsenal are now 5 points clear at the top heading into next week's match at Old Trafford.

Goal disallowed that should have stood and Suarez missed 4-5 golden chances including striking the post.

Since you didn't watch it I'd think taking the 3 points without assumptive comments wou...

Oh wait, its Gate.

I just went by what I've read, when I am able to watch the full match I'll have a better idea on what happened.

I have seen the highlights(can't really have an opinion on the whole match based on that) and about that disallowed goal, you mean the one where every Arsenal player stopped when the ref pulled play back? You're probably right the ref shouldn't have halted play there, but there isn't a guarantee you still would've scored if everyone kept playing.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:All week, all I heard from the media was how SAS would carve up the Arsenal defense and yet they got nothing. Arsenal win and thanks to Newcastle stunning Chelsea, Arsenal are now 5 points clear at the top heading into next week's match at Old Trafford.

Oh wait, its Gate.

I just went by what I've read, when I am able to watch the full match I'll have a better idea on what happened.

I have seen the highlights(can't really have an opinion on the whole match based on that) and about that disallowed goal, you mean the one where every Arsenal player stopped when the ref pulled play back? You're probably right the ref shouldn't have halted play there, but there isn't a guarantee you still would've scored if everyone kept playing.

Nope. No guarantee. Still was clean through. Whistle never should have blown.

Either way. Game went as I thought.we were hard pressed in the mid (but played better than I thought) and found chances to score. We just didn't take them.

Arsenal did. All credit to Ramsey. Shame on Toure for not stepping.

2-1 would have been fair. We needed to be better for a draw
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:17 am
  • Arsenal the better side on the day. Tough place to go and get a win, but as Simon says, long way to go before things are settled.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Nope. No guarantee. Still was clean through. Whistle never should have blown.

Either way. Game went as I thought.we were hard pressed in the mid (but played better than I thought) and found chances to score. We just didn't take them.

I thought it was gonna be 3-1 to Arsenal, like 2-1 late and then with Liverpool desperately trying to get that tying goal get caught on the counter and Arsenal got a 3rd, that didn't happen, but Arsenal won so I'm not upset about being wrong on that front.

It's probably also fitting that Kolo Toure was the one that "should've done more" on the Ramsey goal, namely after the comments earlier in the week that he was gonna prove that Arsenal were wrong to let him go.

I think this game actually showed that Liverpool aren't as good as everyone thought they were, I'm not saying they aren't good, but it's too blatantly obvious that they are extremely reliant on SAS, and in that match, they were kept off the board. They might(and I actually hope they will) be in contention for a Top 4 finish, but they just don't have enough to challenge for the title in my mind.

I could be proven wrong, but they need to start spreading the wealth more. For example, Liverpool only have 4 different players score in the EPL in the first 10 matches, City have 7, Chelsea has 10(8 of which only have a single goal) and Arsenal have 10 too(5 of which have at least 2 goals). Liverpool are either gonna have to go back and get another scorer they can rely on(and hope Suarez is still there after January) or start to spreading the goal scoring burden, cause unless SAS both score 20-30 goals each, there isn't any way they can challenge for the title.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:38 pm
  • Something that I want to point out, that I believe is impressive to say the least, and I know some of you are gonna rip me about it. But Arsenal have posted a better first 10 games than they have in the 3 seasons in which they've won the Premier League title, including 10 years ago when the Invincibles ruled the league.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:54 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:Something that I want to point out, that I believe is impressive to say the least, and I know some of you are gonna rip me about it. But Arsenal have posted a better first 10 games than they have in the 3 seasons in which they've won the Premier League title, including 10 years ago when the Invincibles ruled the league.

I won't rip you, but I'll just say it doesn't mean a thing. I remember during one of Rafa's years, Liverpool were unbeaten and top of the league going into November. Then we got beat at Middlesborough qand didn't win again until I think late January. It was pretty rough. Anything can happen in this game, and Arsenal have a fairly thin squad when you get right down to it.

Still, they're playing nice football these days and fully deserve to be top of the league.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Nope. No guarantee. Still was clean through. Whistle never should have blown.

I thought it was gonna be 3-1 to Arsenal, like 2-1 late and then with Liverpool desperately trying to get that tying goal get caught on the counter and Arsenal got a 3rd, that didn't happen, but Arsenal won so I'm not upset about being wrong on that front.

It's probably also fitting that Kolo Toure was the one that "should've done more" on the Ramsey goal, namely after the comments earlier in the week that he was gonna prove that Arsenal were wrong to let him go.

I think this game actually showed that Liverpool aren't as good as everyone thought they were, I'm not saying they aren't good, but it's too blatantly obvious that they are extremely reliant on SAS, and in that match, they were kept off the board. They might(and I actually hope they will) be in contention for a Top 4 finish, but they just don't have enough to challenge for the title in my mind.

I could be proven wrong, but they need to start spreading the wealth more. For example, Liverpool only have 4 different players score in the EPL in the first 10 matches, City have 7, Chelsea has 10(8 of which only have a single goal) and Arsenal have 10 too(5 of which have at least 2 goals). Liverpool are either gonna have to go back and get another scorer they can rely on(and hope Suarez is still there after January) or start to spreading the goal scoring burden, cause unless SAS both score 20-30 goals each, there isn't any way they can challenge for the title.

You cant help youself can you Gate... Liverpools exactly what everyone thought they were, so not sure of your comment there. Arsenal are getting surprise starts from the likes of Ramsey. It takes an imagination to assume his form continues. if it wains, does Arsenal have the balance to remain at the top of the table? I know talking actual tactics and such with you goes nowhere, so this will be for the board.

Arsenal will need to start getting scoring from their strikers or they wont challenge for the title either. Hyperbole is the norm when it comes to assessing one game in the PL. too easy to start making blanket statements on the backs of one game.

Now, as for your stats, lets walk that back a bit. this is where understanding what is happening in the field goes alot further than just the results. Chelsea has got two goals from the striker position. Arsenal have got 4. Liverpool has two goals from the midfield (missing Coutinho), rest from SAS.

In looking at balance, there isnt any with the top 3 teams (Tottenham is worse, with only 3 goals from the striker position, all from the spot). imbalance will really impact these clubs as they progress through the season. This is the PL, and now that we are 10 games in, PL opponents will start gameplanning these away. the second time through the schedule will look a lot different than the first.

So Saturday was really a test to see whose imbalance would beat the others. on the day, the Arsenal midfield outplayed the Liverpool one, and while SAS had their chances, they werent taken. not much more can be taken from the game, try as you might. Arsenal are 5 points clear... in November. and while its the nice story of the early season, it would take quite a bit of confidence to assume Arsenal's midfield and one striker will be atop the table by January.

where liverpool is will be based on the integration of Coutinho back into the midfield. It was obvious Gate wasnt aware of the difference between a 5-3-2 and "three defenders". either way, it was a poor choice lineup impacted alot by Enrique, Johnson and Coutinho being unavailable. Lucas Gerrard and Henderson can't operate in a wingback system without more advanced play from the outside backs. they need those advanced targets to relieve pressure in the middle. Cissokho and Flanagan were never going to bring this on, so why Rodgers stayed with it is something only he can ask. Personally I thought it was a mistake.

I imagine we are back to the 4-3-3 come Fulham, with Moses out wide with Suarez. i think that lineup will be one of the better ones in the PL.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm
  • So David Moyes admitted he had the opportunity to sign Mesut Ozil but passed it up because they were "looking in other areas". You know it's statements like that, that would make you seem like a complete moron when the end result of your transfer window was buying a player, who clear as a blue sky isn't the best available, in that area of the field anyways(Marouane Fellaini).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:51 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:So David Moyes admitted he had the opportunity to sign Mesut Ozil but passed it up because they were "looking in other areas". You know it's statements like that, that would make you seem like a complete moron when the end result of your transfer window was buying a player, who clear as a blue sky isn't the best available, in that area of the field anyways(Marouane Fellaini).

Moyes stepped in it a bit there. But he's protecting the United board who wouldn't give him the 45 million as well as affirming his trust in Fellaini. 10 games in is a little early to claim a winner. But Ozil has been very good for Arsenal.

Arsenals success at the moment is the dramatic form of Ramsey though. That can't be argued.

Liverpool back to form this morning. Back in a 433. Agger, Coutinho, and Johnson back. Very good game and second place alone. Good response
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:19 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:So David Moyes admitted he had the opportunity to sign Mesut Ozil but passed it up because they were "looking in other areas". You know it's statements like that, that would make you seem like a complete moron when the end result of your transfer window was buying a player, who clear as a blue sky isn't the best available, in that area of the field anyways(Marouane Fellaini).

Moyes stepped in it a bit there. But he's protecting the United board who wouldn't give him the 45 million as well as affirming his trust in Fellaini. 10 games in is a little early to claim a winner. But Ozil has been very good for Arsenal.

Arsenals success at the moment is the dramatic form of Ramsey though. That can't be argued.

Liverpool back to form this morning. Back in a 433. Agger, Coutinho, and Johnson back. Very good game and second place alone. Good response

It's easy to say Arsenal's form is because of Ramsey's form, but if you think about it, you also have to look at players like Giroud, Wilshere, Koscielny and Mertesacker(to name a couple), all of whom have played pivotal roles in most of Arsenal's wins this season. Giroud and Ramsey actually have been involved in 19 of Arsenal's 22 league goals this season. With the injuries Arsenal have suffered this season, it's taken a real team effort to maintain the form they've had, but with the way Ramsey's been playing he's gonna get the most attention from everyone watching.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:14 am
  • Hard luck Gate. Arsenal really couldn't get going today but still looked dangerous enough to draw...

United looked the team we thought they would be....for 25 minutes. The rest of the match was the Red Devils sitting in and defending like Stoke City in January. They were feverish early but once they got the goal fave up chunks of field and possession to Arsenal and seemed content to defend 35 yards from goal.

While it worked it seemed more a result of a subdued Arsenal side rather than a stalwart defensive effort.

Good matchups after international duty
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:13 pm
  • Really no bad result out of that match for a Liverpool fan. I'd rather see united lose, of course, but keeping close tabs on Arse-nil isn't a bad thing either.

Suarez unstoppable again yesterday.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:07 pm
  • *gloat gloat gloat gloat*

Having said that, United have nearly no shot at winning the title. I don't have a lot of confidence in that squad.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 pm
  • Smurf wrote:*gloat gloat gloat gloat*

Having said that, United have nearly no shot at winning the title. I don't have a lot of confidence in that squad.

The squad is pish, and has been winning a lot of jammie games this season. They're just lucky that City and Chelsea can't seem to string more than about two wins together, and spurs' wheels look to be falling off. Come to think of it, Liverpool are lucky for those things, too.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:01 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Hard luck Gate. Arsenal really couldn't get going today but still looked dangerous enough to draw...

United looked the team we thought they would be....for 25 minutes. The rest of the match was the Red Devils sitting in and defending like Stoke City in January. They were feverish early but once they got the goal fave up chunks of field and possession to Arsenal and seemed content to defend 35 yards from goal.

While it worked it seemed more a result of a subdued Arsenal side rather than a stalwart defensive effort.

Good matchups after international duty

Neither side looked like they deserved to win. United's goal was more fluke than skill since it looked to have gone off that bastard's shoulder. I'm more annoyed at the fact that that douche claimed he would never celebrate scoring against Arsenal, then proceeded to do exactly that today.

Arsenal just looked mentally and physically exhausted, you can definitely tell who put more effort into their midweek CL match from that. The same thing happened last month before the International Break, Arsenal crawled to a 1-1 draw against West Brom, this time, too much was taken out of them in the match against Dortmund. Of course the Gunners weren't helped with Mertesacker and Rosicky being sent home sick prior to the game, you throw that onto the missing wounded and it finally caught up to them. Hopefully after the break we get some of the injured back, if Walcott doesn't return then something is seriously bad is wrong with his injury.

What's really stupid is that there will be some that now think United can challenge for the title because of a slightly better performance than their opponents and Arsenal aren't title worthy(completely forgetting the other 2 results they've had in the past week) because of a fatigued and poor performance.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:32 pm
  • Yeah... No credit the the defending champs.

Sigh....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:48 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Yeah... No credit the the defending champs.

Sigh....

I said they were slightly better than Arsenal today. You yourself said they were good for the first 25 minutes. United weren't that amazing today, but neither were Arsenal, United just did enough to win.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:21 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Yeah... No credit the the defending champs.

Sigh....

I said they were slightly better than Arsenal today. You yourself said they were good for the first 25 minutes. United weren't that amazing today, but neither were Arsenal, United just did enough to win.

this is exactly right. no excuses
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:28 am
  • I found this earlier this morning and find it really interesting. Puts in perspective the league standings as they are, and truly where teams are in terms of progress. Standings in the PL really mean f--- all until late on as the fixture list is so dynamically different for each team... discuss....

Basically this is top 8 and how they have fared this season against the same fixtures as last season (with the point differential)... discuss

Team Pl 12/13 13/14 P+/-
    Man City 11 16 19 +3
    Man U 11 28 20 -8
    Spurs 11 18 20 +2
    Arsenal 11 26 25 -1
    Chelsea 11 26 21 -5
    Liverpool 11 19 23 +4
    Everton 11 19 20 +1
    Soton 11 8 22 +14

Interesting really... United's win may have staved off a complete drop, but they are still -8 in points in corresponding fixtures from last year (they beat Arsenal in the match last season at OT). Spurs, for all their failures to adapt to the new players and loss of Bale are still +2 from the same fixtures last season. Arsenal, for all the media hype, is actually -1 in point total amassed from the same set of fixtures last season.

(can we acknowledge my Soton call please... i'm a damn genius)

As the season progresses i feel like this massively interesting to see which teams are truly making progress from last season and who is not. How it matters in the overall standings wont be known obviously, but it does show a detailed account of "improvements" and "declines"
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I found this earlier this morning and find it really interesting. Puts in perspective the league standings as they are, and truly where teams are in terms of progress. Standings in the PL really mean f--- all until late on as the fixture list is so dynamically different for each team... discuss....

Basically this is top 8 and how they have fared this season against the same fixtures as last season (with the point differential)... discuss

Team Pl 12/13 13/14 P+/-
    Man City 11 16 19 +3
    Man U 11 28 20 -8
    Spurs 11 18 20 +2
    Arsenal 11 26 25 -1
    Chelsea 11 26 21 -5
    Liverpool 11 19 23 +4
    Everton 11 19 20 +1
    Soton 11 8 22 +14

Interesting really... United's win may have staved off a complete drop, but they are still -8 in points in corresponding fixtures from last year (they beat Arsenal in the match last season at OT). Spurs, for all their failures to adapt to the new players and loss of Bale are still +2 from the same fixtures last season. Arsenal, for all the media hype, is actually -1 in point total amassed from the same set of fixtures last season.

As the season progresses i feel like this massively interesting to see which teams are truly making progress from last season and who is not. How it matters in the overall standings wont be known obviously, but it does show a detailed account of "improvements" and "declines"

Good find.
    So you're essentially saying that Arsenal are on pace to miss out on the top 4. That's science right there. I like it.
    Spurs achieved their greatest number of points in the Premier League era last season so if they can keep that up I'll be happy.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:59 pm
  • For the sake of winding up Gate, yes, I am saying that Arsenal is on pace to miss out (completely ignoring that Chelsea and United are making dramatic falls as well).

To me its just interesting to compare league table with actual fixtures. Arsenal's start, for example, has included 3 top 10 teams, with 2 at home. they lost their only tough away draw. Liverpool has just taken better advantage of the weaker teams than last season, as well as reversing the United tie.

Chelsea, United and Southampton are the true surprises.

Real point is... ease up on annointing successes/failures of your club unless you introduce context.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:22 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I found this earlier this morning and find it really interesting. Puts in perspective the league standings as they are, and truly where teams are in terms of progress. Standings in the PL really mean f--- all until late on as the fixture list is so dynamically different for each team... discuss....

Team Pl 12/13 13/14 P+/-
    Man City 11 16 19 +3
    Man U 11 28 20 -8
    Spurs 11 18 20 +2
    Arsenal 11 26 25 -1
    Chelsea 11 26 21 -5
    Liverpool 11 19 23 +4
    Everton 11 19 20 +1
    Soton 11 8 22 +14

I kind of like to see the difference between goals scored at this point last year and this year, cause I bet Spurs have a noticable drop off in that aspect, City would probably have more, and it'd be interesting to see the difference for Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. I know it has no real bearing, but it'd be interesting.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm
  • Try Google...

The point is not goals scored on the season... But goals scored etc in the same fixtures. The same games as last season these are the point differences from this year and last. Above the total points it shows improvements and drops. Current standing are not quite as meaningful...

Now obviously tons of factors play a role in this. Just take it as it is
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Try Google...

The point is not goals scored on the season... But goals scored etc in the same fixtures. The same games as last season these are the point differences from this year and last. Above the total points it shows improvements and drops. Current standing are not quite as meaningful...

City have been scoring goals like a maniac on speed, yet they've been atrocious away from the Etihad. 20 goals at home but only 8 away and they've won only 1 away match this season(I looked that up). If you wanted a prime example of goals not equaling success, then I think City, this season, would fit that bill.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:12 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Try Google...

City have been scoring goals like a maniac on speed, yet they've been atrocious away from the Etihad. 20 goals at home but only 8 away and they've won only 1 away match this season(I looked that up). If you wanted a prime example of goals not equaling success, then I think City, this season, would fit that bill.

but they are successful. they are +3 in points earned from the same fixtures as last year. do you see the correlation? Basically they were just as bad away in those same fixtures last season, actually they are 3 points better (probably won a home game they didnt last year.. maybe United?)

Arsenal, for all the hype, is one point off the pace in the same fixtures as last year. The fact they've had a relatively easy run to this point shouldnt be overshadowed by their lofty table position. Liverpool is +4. Spurs, who cant score, are still +2 points better than last year. A real interesting data point is United and Chelsea's -8 and -5 respectively. those are tough numbers to overcome later on.

These are important because the standings only show who has the most points, not who has played who. Sometimes we jump on the table as being a true indicator of success. For Liverpool, in this sense, it kind of is, as they struggled with the lesser teams last year. Spurs can gain some level of confidence from their point total despite a lack of goals.

None of it tallies up how the season will end. But in terms of an early season indicator as to teams getting better its very important to get an idea of their point totals in comparison to how they did last season against those teams (some of it is also how much better/worse those teams were last year as well). This will become less and less relevant as we hit the 2nd time through the group but its an interesting factor 11 games in.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information