2013-14 EPL Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:46 pm
  • cdallan wrote:Sunderland to be relegated, and Di Canio to be sacked by Xmas. Book it.

Well, turns out to be sooner than Xmas
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 pm
  • That was quick
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:55 pm
  • That 3rd City goal... would have been a great day to be a Manchester City fan.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:12 pm
  • And Lamela to Paulinho's? I'll take that.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:28 am

I know some of you are gonna rip me for this *cough* Si *cough*. But a month after that embarrassing season opener and Arsenal are there(with all the injuries no less) is kinda awesome.

Also, seems like 3-1 is gonna be a common thing for Arsenal matches this season, it happened twice in the preseason and 4 out of 8 competitive matches already.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:54 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    cdallan wrote:Sunderland to be relegated, and Di Canio to be sacked by Xmas. Book it.

I think they saw exactly what I thought I was seeing. Fair play to them - why wait until the inevitable Xmas sacking when that leaves anyone coming in with an almost impossible job? Having Di Canio in a relegation battle is like chucking in a bucket of blood when you are having a go at training a shark. It's already a difficult job, why add to that with unpredictable behaviour and the constant threats of things getting out of control and violent. Except in this analogy the shark is also fascist.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm
  • cdallan wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    cdallan wrote:Sunderland to be relegated, and Di Canio to be sacked by Xmas. Book it.

I think they saw exactly what I thought I was seeing. Fair play to them - why wait until the inevitable Xmas sacking when that leaves anyone coming in with an almost impossible job? Having Di Canio in a relegation battle is like chucking in a bucket of blood when you are having a go at training a shark. It's already a difficult job, why add to that with unpredictable behaviour and the constant threats of things getting out of control and violent. Except in this analogy the shark is also fascist.

Was a good call. I was surprised they pulled the trigger do soon. Felt like he should have been given a bit more time but can see the shark analogy.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:And Lamela to Paulinho's? I'll take that.

Fergie time....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:33 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:And Lamela to Paulinho's? I'll take that.

Fergie time....

Well Moyes was in no position to benefit so they had to give it to someone else.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:04 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:And Lamela to Paulinho's? I'll take that.

Fergie time....

Well Moyes was in no position to benefit so they had to give it to someone else.

LOL. Naturally, I hope we knock United out of the league cup with a Suarez hat-trick on Wednesday, but you have to think that if United lose to Liverpool twice in the same month, Moyes will start feeling the heat. Moreso since they lost to City, too.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:48 pm
  • I know Ferguson struggled his first couple years at United but that was with little expectations... Do the United supporters and owner have the patience to let Moyes struggle?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:46 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I know Ferguson struggled his first couple years at United but that was with little expectations... Do the United supporters and owner have the patience to let Moyes struggle?

Of course not. They're already on his back about the transfer window and losses to Liverpool and City. I'm telling you, if they lose to Liverpool tomorrow it'll be a shit-storm for Moyes.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:12 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I know Ferguson struggled his first couple years at United but that was with little expectations... Do the United supporters and owner have the patience to let Moyes struggle?

Of course not. They're already on his back about the transfer window and losses to Liverpool and City. I'm telling you, if they lose to Liverpool tomorrow it'll be a shit-storm for Moyes.

No van persie and the return of Suarez makes for a compelling tie for sure
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:42 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I know Ferguson struggled his first couple years at United but that was with little expectations... Do the United supporters and owner have the patience to let Moyes struggle?

No van persie and the return of Suarez makes for a compelling tie for sure

Certainly does, mate!
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 pm
  • It's gonna be an interesting match tomorrow between Arsenal and West Brom cause we'll see if Bendtner is actually gonna step up and make every Gooner less worried about the Striker options should Giroud get hurt. I'm a really skeptical and cautious about that cause I'm still finding it hard to believe that he went from whining about not wanting to play for Arsenal 2 years ago, to suddenly wanting to help us. I don't know but I just don't get it.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 am

No van persie and the return of Suarez makes for a compelling tie for sure[/quote]

Certainly does, mate![/quote]

Interested to see the team sheets for both teams. I'm not sure this tournament is high on the list of priorities for BR (i imagine Suarez starts, if not plays, but the rest of the lineup will be interesting).

However, Moyes probably needs to secure a long run in everything United is a part of, atleast until league results get better. So does he go with a younger lineup, or run out the same group we saw against City
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:16 pm
  • Not displeased.... Played well enough. The top three trio was dangerous all night. Really Suarezs touch let him down at crucial moments or we probably walk away with that one.

Sunderland is the big game. Need to score some goals
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 pm
  • Arsenal shouldn't still be in the Capital One Cup, plain and simple. It was a boring, nearly uneventful first half, 2nd half was slightly more eventful, Arsenal wasting chances galore, along with a crazy 118th minute scramble in front of the goal that somehow didn't go in for the Baggies. Then in penalties Gnabry had his shot saved but 2 shots by West Brom that went to the opposite corners of the stadium rather than goal somehow gave us the chance that Nacho Monreal capitalized on to send us through. Now thanks to that brilliant draw, Arsenal have a fun schedule in late October-early November, what with Chelsea(H), Liverpool(H), Dortmund(A) and Man United(A) in 4 successive games.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm
  • We're going to win the league
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 pm
  • Storts wrote:We're going to win the league

Who's "we're" exactly?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:08 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Storts wrote:We're going to win the league

Who's "we're" exactly?

The pride of North London
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am
  • Storts wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:

Who's "we're" exactly?

Oh Arsenal. Still too early to call that, but yeah, each game seems to make it less insane to say Arsenal have a chance(albeit it's still a long shot)
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:32 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Storts wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:

Who's "we're" exactly?

Oh Arsenal. Still too early to call that, but yeah, each game seems to make it less insane to say Arsenal have a chance(albeit it's still a long shot)

Definitely not a scummy gooner
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm
  • Storts wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:Oh Arsenal. Still too early to call that, but yeah, each game seems to make it less insane to say Arsenal have a chance(albeit it's still a long shot)

Definitely not a scummy gooner

Wait what?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 am
  • Man City and ManU both lose today. How often has that happened in recent years?
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Good weekend for most all the teams represented in this thread aside from Palace.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 pm
  • He's baaaaaaaaack......
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:He's baaaaaaaaack......

Yes, he's back, and yes, he's scored 2 goals. However, he did it against the only team in the EPL without a win so far this season, one that everyone seems to score with ease on right now.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:27 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:He's baaaaaaaaack......

Great to see him running through the box again. He worked real well with Sturridge. Its easy to see what he brings back to the team.

Like to see Moses out wide instead of underneath... But such is the depth of the squad at the moment
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:He's baaaaaaaaack......

Great to see him running through the box again. He worked real well with Sturridge. Its easy to see what he brings back to the team.

Like to see Moses out wide instead of underneath... But such is the depth of the squad at the moment

This formation is working alright for now. I think when Johnson and Coutinho come back, it'll change. Coutinho will slot into the CAM role, Toure and Hendo to the bench with Enrique going back to Left-back and Moses coming to the left side of midfield, Gerrard sort of on the right with Lucas in the middle. Having guys like Henderson, Toure, Ibe, Sterling, Aspas, Alberto, etc. all able to come off the bench is a good thing. Squad is strengthening, and I'm sure we have our eye on some fresh talent for the January window.

Just thrilled about the Sturridge/Suarez partnership, they both look hungry and comfortable with eachother. Liked seeing Sakho settle in a bit more and look like the dominant center-back we needed. Onwards and upwards, YNWA.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:22 am
    Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:He's baaaaaaaaack......

This formation is working alright for now. I think when Johnson and Coutinho come back, it'll change. Coutinho will slot into the CAM role, Toure and Hendo to the bench with Enrique going back to Left-back and Moses coming to the left side of midfield, Gerrard sort of on the right with Lucas in the middle. Having guys like Henderson, Toure, Ibe, Sterling, Aspas, Alberto, etc. all able to come off the bench is a good thing. Squad is strengthening, and I'm sure we have our eye on some fresh talent for the January window.

Just thrilled about the Sturridge/Suarez partnership, they both look hungry and comfortable with eachother. Liked seeing Sakho settle in a bit more and look like the dominant center-back we needed. Onwards and upwards, YNWA.

We still need something more creative underneath. props to BR for going to a 3 back (and 2 wing back) system. I do like Henderson out there.

This is why I was so high on getting Ericksen. He would fill the role of the underneath CAM perfectly. It would be interesting to see Moses and Sturridge paired up top with Suarez underneath. I guess we will see. Crystal palace may give us the chance to be more free with our options.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 am
  • Yeah, the Palace match is one we should expect to win, however I don't want them taking any chances. Need the three points more than anything.

Hopefully the manchester clubs continue their recent run of form :D
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 am
  • 6 games played, 2 points clear at the top, 8 consecutive EPL Away Wins, 9 straight wins overall, and all of this with Cazorla, Oxlade, Podolski, Walcott, and Rosicky on the injury list. Don't hate me but I'm starting to get my hopes up for this season.

And how about Serge Gnabry? 2 EPL starts and he gets his first Arsenal 1st team goal. He repaying Wenger's faith in him replacing the injured Walcott.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Yeah, the Palace match is one we should expect to win, however I don't want them taking any chances. Need the three points more than anything.

agreed... its a bit satisfying to see United fumble about early on. I mean Moyes has been nothing short of a thorn in Liverpool's side for a few years, and we all know the malcontent that comes with United. Sadly many of my United friends are discussing the possibility of SAF returning to save the side... Citys formula just isnt working. they will come around soon enough. Its a bit early to settle into whats-what in the table, but its hard to see where/how United make enough of a turn to be consistent enough to level up at the top.

We've go Palace, Newcastle (who are currently down 3 rip to Everton and the half time whistle hasnt even blown yet) then West Brom. Very nice run in before some top table opponents come up. hopefully Coutinho's fit and back by then.

Still thought we struggled with Sunderland, and again in the 2nd half. I dont mind Lucas sitting a match for the yellow, hopefully BRs new lineup will yield a more convincing defensive display (speaking of CMs, where da hell is Joe Allen at the moment?)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Yeah, the Palace match is one we should expect to win, however I don't want them taking any chances. Need the three points more than anything.

agreed... its a bit satisfying to see United fumble about early on. I mean Moyes has been nothing short of a thorn in Liverpool's side for a few years, and we all know the malcontent that comes with United. Sadly many of my United friends are discussing the possibility of SAF returning to save the side... Citys formula just isnt working. they will come around soon enough. Its a bit early to settle into whats-what in the table, but its hard to see where/how United make enough of a turn to be consistent enough to level up at the top.

We've go Palace, Newcastle (who are currently down 3 rip to Everton and the half time whistle hasnt even blown yet) then West Brom. Very nice run in before some top table opponents come up. hopefully Coutinho's fit and back by then.

Still thought we struggled with Sunderland, and again in the 2nd half. I dont mind Lucas sitting a match for the yellow, hopefully BRs new lineup will yield a more convincing defensive display (speaking of CMs, where da hell is Joe Allen at the moment?)

Allen should be fit for Palace. I agree, wasn't too convincing against Sunderland, but a win's a win. The next three matches we should be winning, too. Good little run as you said to get the team up to snuff and survive with Coutinho out.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 am
  • Just want to add Glasgow Rangers and Chelsea FC fan here so expect input !

KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING HIGH !
    Image GO HAWKS !

Follow me on Twitter: @NFL_Hawk
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 am
  • Scottish_Hawk wrote:Just want to add Glasgow Rangers and Chelsea FC fan here so expect input !

thats unfortunate...

but welcome

give us a rundown of your thoughts on Chelsea at the moment. been a strange and tumultusous year already.

im assuming rangers are slowly moving their way back up the scottish league structure? are they two leagues now from a return to the SPL? (i think thats right... back in 2016.)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:09 pm
  • Scottish_Hawk wrote:Just want to add Glasgow Rangers and Chelsea FC fan here so expect input !

How many more months do Sevco have left before they go bust again? Burning through a ton of cash right now just to win against part timers, board room issues and a terrible manager who is only still there due to his legendary status as a player.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:32 am
  • Agree on McCoist, he needs to go.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 pm
  • Not sure if anyone on here has heard this, I would be surprised if you haven't. But prior to the Arsenal-Napoli match, a contingent of Napoli supporters attacked a North London pie shop near the Emirates. The store is a popular prematch destination for Arsenal supporters and it's a shame to hear this happened. We've always heard about stupid incidents involving English club supporters and other European club supporters(for some reason it tends to be Italians) occurring, almost always happens when the English club is the visitors, I do remember hearing an incident involving Tottenham supporters and Lazio supporters a few years ago as well. I don't recall an completely unprovoked incident like this occurring in England.

Below is a video interview an Arsenal supporter did with the store owner about the incident.

Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 am
  • Anzhi-Spurs is a nice midweek tie, Hawkspur. Be interesting to see the lineup AVB throws out. (considering Anzhi may not even be able to throw out 11... what a mess. Take heed Monaco)

So now that the new pieces are starting to settle in at the "pride of North London".. who looks the part and who seems to be faltering?

I still wonder if Siggurdson and Holtby will ever find a consistent place on the squad. Soldado hasnt been anything terrific (atleast in PL play, outside of two pens). Is striker still an issue?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:09 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Scottish_Hawk wrote:Just want to add Glasgow Rangers and Chelsea FC fan here so expect input !

thats unfortunate...

but welcome

give us a rundown of your thoughts on Chelsea at the moment. been a strange and tumultusous year already.

im assuming rangers are slowly moving their way back up the scottish league structure? are they two leagues now from a return to the SPL? (i think thats right... back in 2016.)

Regarding the Gers right now we are in league 1 if we win that we get into the scottish championship and then after that its the mainstage with the tic and all the others.

Regarding chelsea its been a bit of a sour affair I was a bit dissapointed they never managed to land a top striker in the transfer window ...I was really hoping on Rooney.

Its clear JM has been told by Roman to change the style of play but I think this is where it has backfired for us , we have too many lightweight silky midfield players there is no point in trying to emulate barca or another team for that matter. Jose should go back to 4-1-2-1-2 It was what worked best for him in his previous time at the bridge ...I do feel we need a bit of muscle in the middle of the park all we have really is Essien we need another solid midfield player and a top striker. Looking back I wish we took that 30M for David Luiz that we were offered.

...Oh and also PLAY JUAN FRICKIN MATA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Image GO HAWKS !

Follow me on Twitter: @NFL_Hawk
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:01 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Anzhi-Spurs is a nice midweek tie, Hawkspur. Be interesting to see the lineup AVB throws out. (considering Anzhi may not even be able to throw out 11... what a mess. Take heed Monaco)

So now that the new pieces are starting to settle in at the "pride of North London".. who looks the part and who seems to be faltering?

I still wonder if Siggurdson and Holtby will ever find a consistent place on the squad. Soldado hasnt been anything terrific (atleast in PL play, outside of two pens). Is striker still an issue?

I have to take offense to using referring to Spurs as "The Pride of North London". They will never be that until they finish above Arsenal and become more successful than the Gunners.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 am
  • Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:29 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.

They've sold the one-man-team and bought a team. At the very least Spurs have upgraded 4 starters and strengthened the depth with the others.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.

They've sold the one-man-team and bought a team. At the very least Spurs have upgraded 4 starters and strengthened the depth with the others.

No Soldado, Lamela starts and Ericksen now off the bench. Be interesting to watch AvB balance all these players with two domestic cup runs, league and Europa. Certainly has the talent

as a 'Pool fan it does sort of sting watching Spurs, as Soldado, Willian, Siggurdsen, Holtby, Ericksen and Lamela were all once highly sought after at Anfield.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:53 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.

No Soldado, Lamela starts and Ericksen now off the bench. Be interesting to watch AvB balance all these players with two domestic cup runs, league and Europa. Certainly has the talent

as a 'Pool fan it does sort of sting watching Spurs, as Soldado, Willian, Siggurdsen, Holtby, Ericksen and Lamela were all once highly sought after at Anfield.

Willian went to Chelsea, remember?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am
    Willian went to Chelsea, remember?

Ha!

(i'd like to say I was being purposefully ironic... but i'm simply tired)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.

Winning 2-0 against a team that's, kinda like them, a completely different squad to the one that was there last year. Anzhi's fire sale definitely changed things for them.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33 am
  • Some intriguing matches this weekend. Spurs should beat West Ham, but I could see the hammers nicking a point. I'll be watching that United match, Sunderland look like they could beat a despondent United team that appears to be in a tailspin. I expect Liverpool to pummel Palace, but we know how that generally goes. I'll be happy with a win of any kind.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information