Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 am 
* NET Starfish *

Uncle Si wrote:
I like the Oil signing. Shows intent. But a hefty price for a player who doest necessarily fill a desperate need (outside the clamoring of fans)

Would love to see Liverpool bring in one more attacker. Think we are done but....

We've been linked with a move for Mata all day, but apparently PSG have swooped in with a bag of cash. SUPPOSEDLY, Demba Ba has turned down moves to both Spurs AND Arsenal, but is ready to sign with 'another Premier League team'. Could get interesting here this next few hours.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:41 am 
* NET Starfish *

According to Skysports, Arsenal have now ended their interest in Demba Ba.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 am 
NET Veteran

What I've heard is that there is no stand still. Ozil to Arsenal is still being completed and should be done and dusted before the deadline and it's reported that the offer is a 5 year deal.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Fellaini hands in a transfer request. Supposedly United's proposed deal for Ander Herrera has hit 'beaurocratic problems' and might not go through. What the hell have United been doing all summer? Clowns.

Still no word on Ozil, gate. Has to be getting a bit nervy now, with just over an hour to go before the window shuts?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:54 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Fellaini hands in a transfer request. Supposedly United's proposed deal for Ander Herrera has hit 'beaurocratic problems' and might not go through. What the hell have United been doing all summer? Clowns.

Still no word on Ozil, gate. Has to be getting a bit nervy now, with just over an hour to go before the window shuts?

rumours on the interweb and the pundits at ESPN is that Ozil is hoping for United

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Uncle Si wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

rumours on the interweb and the pundits at ESPN is that Ozil is hoping for United

Would make more sense than Arsenal, to be honest. United have absolutely zero creativity in their midfield. Not sure Herrera would make it in the PL, but Ozil would be a decent signing. Still, United have been absolutely atrocious in this window, wouldn't have happened under Ferguson.

I'm just not sure about Fellaini. Seems like United will have to pay over 20 mil for him, and I don't think he's worth close to that, but then again, Liverpool have been paying way over the odds for overrated players the past few seasons, so...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:09 pm 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:

Not sure where you're getting those rumors. I haven't seen anything involving United aside from Harrera and Fellaini.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:10 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Guillem Balague says Manchester United’s deal for Ander Herrera is “completely dead”. It has fallen through despite United officials turning up at Liga offices earlier trying to push it through. The Guardian are slamming United on their live feed: “This is ridiculous. What’s become of Manchester United’s professionalism? Sounds shambolic.”

LOL.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
NET Veteran

Sky Sports has just reported that Mesut Ozil has confirmed in a statement that he is heading to Arsenal.

Edit: Sky Sports has announced Arsenal have signed Ozil

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm 
NET Veteran

Ozil. WHAT a signing.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Gatehawk wrote:
Sky Sports has just reported that Mesut Ozil has confirmed in a statement that he is heading to Arsenal.

Edit: Sky Sports has announced Arsenal have signed Ozil

Just saw that myself I think he'll be a good signing. If they really DID pay 42 mil for him, then that's about 15 mil too much, in my opinion. 40+ million pound players don't sit on the bench, even at Real. Still, he'll be creative going forward, but as far as I can tell, Arsenal don't lack for creativity going forward, it's an out-and-out striker they need, and some defensive steel. Should have enough to finish around 4th or 5th, though, you would think.

I can't see Man United breaking into the top 4 this season with that squad, I just can't. So thin at the back, lacking any semblence of a midfield and having a disgruntled Rooney to pair with RVP up front. RVP will get goals, but will that be enough? I highly doubt it, not with the major improvements Liverpool and Spurs have made to their squads, and with Chelsea and City boasting major depth at almost every position.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:34 pm 
NET Veteran

I'll be surprised beyond belief if people still criticize Wenger and want him out if this signing pays off massively.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:35 pm 
* NET Starfish *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Ozil. WHAT a signing.

You said the same thing about Giroud last season, Rob, and while he's been decent, he hasn't blown anyone away by any means. I'll wait and see how Ozil fits into that squad and how he adapts to the pace and physicality of the English game before I say much on it. On the surface, it seems a like a good strong signing for Arsenal.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Gatehawk wrote:
I'll be surprised beyond belief if people still criticize Wenger and want him out if this signing pays off massively.

If the results don't come, then people will have every right to criticize him. This is still a 'panic-buy', given that it's not really an area of need for Arsenal. Seems to have been more about showing fans that they'll spend some money than anything else.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm 
NET Veteran

Man Utd should've been all over Ozil. What are they doing??

Peaches - Giroud looks exceptional so far this season - 4 goals in 5. Could've just been a case of settling in, plus he's not had a guy like Ozil playing alongside him.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:40 pm 
* NET Starfish *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Man Utd should've been all over Ozil. What are they doing??

Peaches - Giroud looks exceptional so far this season - 4 goals in 5. Could've just been a case of settling in, plus he's not had a guy like Ozil playing alongside him.

That's a fair say. Just feel like Arsenal could have used a goal-poacher this window. Still, Wenger always finds a way to keep Arsenal there or thereabouts.

Yeah, United are an absolute joke at the minute. They've had at least 5 offers turned down this summer and have failed to sign anyone. Moyes will be out before christmas at this rate. Suppose that would set up the premise for 'The Damned United 2'.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Well, window officially shuts and United have signed no-one, despite having desperate need at right-back, central midfield, Center-back and Left wing. Incomprehensible.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
NET Veteran

Apparently the main reason for Ozil signing with Arsenal was because of who the Gunners manager is.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:14 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Well, that and 45.5 mil (figure being reported by SkySports). Interesting discussion in ESPN about whether or not Ozil fills a need for Arsenal. Have to say I agree, they already have plenty of creative midfielders, what they needed was a goalscorer. They went after Higuain and Suarez and didn't get them, and in my opinion have not addressed that need with the signing of Ozil.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Well, that and 45.5 mil (figure being reported by SkySports). Interesting discussion in ESPN about whether or not Ozil fills a need for Arsenal. Have to say I agree, they already have plenty of creative midfielders, what they needed was a goalscorer. They went after Higuain and Suarez and didn't get them, and in my opinion have not addressed that need with the signing of Ozil.

However Ozil will help take some burden off Cazorla and Giroud is playing very well so far this season.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:27 pm 
NET Rookie

Ozil is some signing for Arsenal, arguably best of the window. Still think they could have done with another striker though.

Liverpool made some impressive signings and should do well this year...however, it's Liverpool. As has been the case over the last 20 years, I expect them to fall apart at some point/go on a terrible run when no one expects it. Probably when Suarez comes back.

What has happened to Man Utd? They needed at least 4/5 players.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:28 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Gatehawk wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

However Ozil will help take some burden off Cazorla and Giroud is playing very well so far this season.

Yeah, I know I sound like I'm knocking this signing, I guess I'm just trying to see the sense in investing 45.5 million quid in a guy to 'help take the burden' off other players. That's the kind of money you spend on someone who will win you games on their own. He's a very good player, Gate, and he'll help Arsenal going forward for sure, I just want to wait and see.

Fellaini to United for 27.5 million pounds. What a joke. Fellaini wouldn't make the squad at Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or City. How the mighty have fallen.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:10 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Yeah, I know I sound like I'm knocking this signing, I guess I'm just trying to see the sense in investing 45.5 million quid in a guy to 'help take the burden' off other players. That's the kind of money you spend on someone who will win you games on their own. He's a very good player, Gate, and he'll help Arsenal going forward for sure, I just want to wait and see.

Fellaini to United for 27.5 million pounds. What a joke. Fellaini wouldn't make the squad at Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or City. How the mighty have fallen.

Quick question. Didn't Fellaini have a release clause that was worth 24 million which expired at the beginning of August? If so, why did United decide to wait till the absolute last second to pay 3.5 million more for him? It's baffling. It's also funny how many midfielders United went through before they settled for him.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:26 pm 
NET Starter

Good on Arsenal for spending some money, although I think they could have addressed other needs but whatever. I really like Liverpool to make top 4 this year if we can keep our current form.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:26 pm 
NET Veteran

I'd say Arsenal and Liverpool had the most successful deadline day. The panic button was definitely smashed by Man United. I was definitely surprised by Lukaku going to Everton on loan and not to West Brom.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:41 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Gatehawk wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

Quick question. Didn't Fellaini have a release clause that was worth 24 million which expired at the beginning of August? If so, why did United decide to wait till the absolute last second to pay 3.5 million more for him? It's baffling. It's also funny how many midfielders United went through before they settled for him.

You're 100% correct. Moyes doing terrible business and making shocking squad decisions. Why Kagawa isn't being played is baffling me.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:46 pm 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
I'd say Arsenal and Liverpool had the most successful deadline day. The panic button was definitely smashed by Man United. I was definitely surprised by Lukaku going to Everton on loan and not to West Brom.

Ozil is a good player...but are you really satisfied with 44 mill on an attacking mid given their need for a striker and defenders. They seemed hell bent on spending cash which seemed a bit desperate. Interested to see how it works out. Obviously he adds a lot to the attack.

Thought Everton recovered well.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 pm 
NET Veteran

Ozil? Didn't see that coming! Wenger should get the fans off his back with that move. Not, perhaps, their most prsssing need but you'd have to think he'll make them better.

It's going to be a good season. 6 teams that have legitimate hopes of making the top 4. I think Chelsea is the only one who's pretty much assured of making it. United fans must be more than a tad concerned about their future. Should have gone all in for Mourinho.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:57 am 
* NET Starfish *

No Coentrao deal for United either. And they had an offer for Khedira turned down on Deadline day. I think some serious questions need be asked there, what with the Herrera debacle and then paying 4.5 million more for Fellaini than they had to.

Anyway, Everton definitely improved with the signings of Barry, McCarthy and Lukaku. I'll be interested to see what Martinez is able to do with them.

Also, I hate international breaks.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:

Ozil is a good player...but are you really satisfied with 44 mill on an attacking mid given their need for a striker and defenders. They seemed hell bent on spending cash which seemed a bit desperate. Interested to see how it works out. Obviously he adds a lot to the attack.

Thought Everton recovered well.

I forgot about Everton when I said that, and I was only referring to final day. Had Arsenal made some more moves it would've been better, but Arteta and Vermaelen do appear set to return after the break, so if they can stay healthy then Arsenal should make it January. Signing Ozil is much more of a good decision because of his versatility, he's able to be played either in the midfield or even on the attacking wings, meaning he can be played where on that left side that's short on options. They went big for 1 signing, but if people still complain about Arsenal not spending after this, then I don't know what those morons would want. Wenger basically killed 2 birds with one stone in the Ozil move, he splashed the cash and bought a clear cut world class player.

If you want to talk about desperate spending then United fits that bill to a T.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 am 
* NET Starfish *

Well, steady on a minute, Gate. It's important to get value for money. 44mil or whatever it was is a pretty tall order. That means they rate Ozil higher than Suarez, and I don't think they're in the same league. Suarez would not be sitting on real's bench, I can tell you that. Ozil has definitely shown quality in the past, but as I've said a few times, I think it's a goalscorer that Arsenal needed, not someone to provide assists. The main criticism I have is that Arsenal have invested 44 million pounds in a position where they already seem to have plenty of quality depth.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 am 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Well, steady on a minute, Gate. It's important to get value for money. 44mil or whatever it was is a pretty tall order. That means they rate Ozil higher than Suarez, and I don't think they're in the same league. Suarez would not be sitting on real's bench, I can tell you that. Ozil has definitely shown quality in the past, but as I've said a few times, I think it's a goalscorer that Arsenal needed, not someone to provide assists. The main criticism I have is that Arsenal have invested 44 million pounds in a position where they already seem to have plenty of quality depth.

Yeah this was basically my thought. Ozil's signing really only solves the most pressing need at Arsenal: to spend alot of money on a player.

Ozil's a very good player. 44 mill for a CAM is a massive risk. Thats more than Goetze, Isco and Lucas, all of whom I rate higher.

If you look at Arsenal's targets this summer they were all fairly similar in the sense they were big names, highly priced and wanted out of their current clubs. all three served a different purpose on the field which to me (like United) meant they didnt really know exactly what they wanted in terms of skill... more just wanted "a" player who fit the financial/name recognition that would satisfy the fans.

Ozil is a very good player for sure and a good signing. He may end up being the best CAM in the Prem if he sits well with Giroud in front of him. but i dont see it as many more or less desperate than Fellaini (or Sakho for that matter)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am 
NET Veteran

Don't get me wrong, that thought did run through my head even before he was confirmed, when they said Arsenal offered 44.2 million. It is intriguing that Arsenal felt they had to pay that much for a non-EPL player, yet stopped short of that when going for arguably one of the top strikers in the EPL.

When you think about it, the price makes some sense, Ozil's one of the top players on the German National Team, he's coming from one of the biggest clubs in the World and he's practically an assist machine. Could Arsenal have tried to get him for less, probably, would Madrid have sold him for less, not too sure on that. Add to that some people are saying Arsenal got Ozil cheap.

Also, there are some reports that PSG had offered way more money than Arsenal and that it was a conversation between Ozil and Wenger that convinced Mesut to sign with Arsenal. If those reports about PSG are true, we can only imagine how much the Parisians offered above that 44.2 million pounds.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:21 am 
* NET Starfish *

Well, assists are only good if you've got a goal-poacher to get on the end of them. Right now, Arsenal seem to have Giroud and a whole bunch of 'assist machines'. they went after strikers at the beginning of the window, and that made sense, but then they spend a boatload of cash on a CAM. I'm just in the middle with this one. I don't want to knock the transfer, because Ozil is a high-quality player who will make things happen in the attacking third, but I just can praise it too much because it doesn't make sense from a need or value perspective. We'll see.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 am 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Well, assists are only good if you've got a goal-poacher to get on the end of them. Right now, Arsenal seem to have Giroud and a whole bunch of 'assist machines'. they went after strikers at the beginning of the window, and that made sense, but then they spend a boatload of cash on a CAM. I'm just in the middle with this one. I don't want to knock the transfer, because Ozil is a high-quality player who will make things happen in the attacking third, but I just can praise it too much because it doesn't make sense from a need or value perspective. We'll see.

They do have assist machines all around now, but those assist machines are just as dangerous at scoring goals as Giroud has been lately. Remember last season Theo Walcott was the top scorer, Cazorla added 12, Podolski had 16, and Ozil with Madrid last season had 10.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 am 
NET Veteran

Let's run through the list of good things that happened for Arsenal this week:
We beat Spurs
They sold Bale
We signed Özil
Levy failed in attempts to stop it
United failed to hijack it
RVP unhappy with Moyes(reportedly)

And that was just the first 3 days.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 am 
* NET Starfish *

Gatehawk wrote:
We beat Spurs
They sold Bale
We signed Özil

#winning

Oh wait, that's right, none of that improves your chances of winning the league.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:52 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:
We beat Spurs
They sold Bale
We signed Özil

#winning

Oh wait, that's right, none of that improves your chances of winning the league.

Never said it did. All I'm saying is that it's a good week to be a Gooner.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm 
NET Veteran

Well should've known this wasn't over. BBC is reporting that Arsenal is gonna keep an eye on Luis Suarez's situation at Liverpool and might attempt to sign him in January. Not too sure if that's gonna be a good idea.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:38 am 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
Well should've known this wasn't over. BBC is reporting that Arsenal is gonna keep an eye on Luis Suarez's situation at Liverpool and might attempt to sign him in January. Not too sure if that's gonna be a good idea.

Honest question gate... are you 9 years old, or just a very gullible adult?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:46 am 
* NET Starfish *

Uncle Si wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:

Honest question gate... are you 9 years old, or just a very gullible adult?

It's definitely one or the other.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:05 am 
NET Veteran

I'm neither. If it's true then I just don't think it's a good idea, I get the feeling there's still a little bitterness over that 40 million and 1 pound bid and cause of it, I don't see Liverpool selling him to Arsenal for anything unless it's an absurdly ridiculous overpriced bid, like Bale to Madrid.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:11 am 
* NET Starfish *

there's no bitterness, Gate. Teams are not run by teenagers. Suarez is a Liverpool player, and will remain so until they let him go.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:54 am 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
there's no bitterness, Gate. Teams are not run by teenagers. Suarez is a Liverpool player, and will remain so until they let him go.

Like there's no bitterness with the Costa Rican's over a game from 6 months ago.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 am 
* NET Starfish *

*sigh*

You are such a troll, Gate.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 am 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

Like there's no bitterness with the Costa Rican's over a game from 6 months ago.

Well yes, youre gullible. Gullible because youve yet to figure out how the media works when it comes to these stories.

Lets ask this. Who at "Arsenal" gave that quote? Honest question gate... do you really believe a high ranking official from the club decided to tell the BBC that they would consider going after Suarez again. They just decided to give some insight into their next transfer window objectives? Just like that?

Do you know of any NFL, MLB, etc teams that would do that? no, ofcourse not, and neither do clubs in the PL.

grow up Peter Pan.

and trying to compare a transfer offer to losing a World Cup qualifier? mother mary on a pogo stick (for you peachers) i truly cant tell if you're serious or playing us all for a fun

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:23 am 
* NET Starfish *

So.....What exactly do Man City think they're playing at? I had concerns about Pellegrini's ability to cope in the PL. It seems those concerns were well founded.

Chelsea need to buck their ideas up against Everton too, or they'll slip off the pace. Still very early days, but strong starts from Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs are putting pressure on the likes of United, Chelsea and City early on.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 am 
* NET Starfish *

This season is gonna be great. No team is safe, there are no easy matches. Villa are apparently not as good as we thought, and it doesn't appear - at least at this point - that Chelsea are just gonna walk away with the league.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

peachesenregalia wrote:
This season is gonna be great. No team is safe, there are no easy matches. Villa are apparently not as good as we thought, and it doesn't appear - at least at this point - that Chelsea are just gonna walk away with the league.

wait...who thought villa was good?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Smurf wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

wait...who thought villa was good?

Pretty much everyone thought they'd be a much improved team this season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]