2013-14 EPL Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:I think Liverpool would have signed Dempsey had they offered more than chump change, though. And as for Willian, £30mil is a bit of a gamble, as you said earlier. (However, IF we can sign Lamela, a front 3 of Willian, Soldado and Lamela, with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho behind, presumably with Holtby, Sigurddson, Capoue, Lennon, Chadli, Defoe as rotation -sounds pretty exciting )

I think we offered the right amount for Dempsey and don't blame management for not going 35 million + nearly 5 million in wages for Willian. We aren't there.

It is an exciting time for Spurs for sure
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:I think Liverpool would have signed Dempsey had they offered more than chump change, though. And as for Willian, £30mil is a bit of a gamble, as you said earlier. (However, IF we can sign Lamela, a front 3 of Willian, Soldado and Lamela, with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho behind, presumably with Holtby, Sigurddson, Capoue, Lennon, Chadli, Defoe as rotation -sounds pretty exciting )

I think we offered the right amount for Dempsey and don't blame management for not going 35 million + nearly 5 million in wages for Willian. We aren't there.

Out of interest, do you have any idea what the Sounders paid for Dempsey?

Where have you seen £35 mil? I've seen as high as £30mil quoted, although the deal hasn't been officially announced yet so it's probably all speculation, anyway. Paying this much surely means Bale is off, which would be a pity, but it seems as though he wants to experience the Bernabeu and all that, and the club will get good compensation.

It could be our version of Torres - Carroll, I guess. I hope not. It would be gutting to see Bale go and get little in return. This is the 3rd season in a row in which AVB has tried to buy Willian, so I guess he has plans for him.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Sounds like Villa were the victims of some away decisions and that Fenerbache were rubbish and Arsenal killed them even without the help of the ref. Nevermind.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 pm
  • I was able to catch most of the Arsenal game and it was just way too easy for them. Fenerbahche looked horrible, barely had any possession of the ball and were simply outplayed in every sense of the word.

I was also able to catch last 15 minutes of Chelsea game. It was a very entertaining finish to the match, I thought Villa played pretty well except for Westwood. Benteke looked good, I can see him scoring 20+ goals this season. I thought Chelsea played an entertaining football, really enjoyed watching Hazard. Lukaku has all potential in the world to be a great striker as long as he gets playing time.I absolutely love strikers of his type who can hold the ball up in the attack while under pressure. His strength is definitely his #1 asset in my opinion, although he does posses a good technique and shooting ability. I am very much excited to see the game on Monday vs United.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:I think Liverpool would have signed Dempsey had they offered more than chump change, though. And as for Willian, £30mil is a bit of a gamble, as you said earlier. (However, IF we can sign Lamela, a front 3 of Willian, Soldado and Lamela, with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho behind, presumably with Holtby, Sigurddson, Capoue, Lennon, Chadli, Defoe as rotation -sounds pretty exciting )

Out of interest, do you have any idea what the Sounders paid for Dempsey?

Where have you seen £35 mil? I've seen as high as £30mil quoted, although the deal hasn't been officially announced yet so it's probably all speculation, anyway. Paying this much surely means Bale is off, which would be a pity, but it seems as though he wants to experience the Bernabeu and all that, and the club will get good compensation.

It could be our version of Torres - Carroll, I guess. I hope not. It would be gutting to see Bale go and get little in return. This is the 3rd season in a row in which AVB has tried to buy Willian, so I guess he has plans for him.

I think the MLS covered the 7 million for Dempsey.

The fee for William as I heard it was 30 plus a 5 mill add on for agent fees (apparently why Liverpool backed out)

Lamela would be a great buy. To me though Willian was a bit overpriced. Still considering Bale may be off its worth the risk
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I think the MLS covered the 7 million for Dempsey.

The fee for William as I heard it was 30 plus a 5 mill add on for agent fees (apparently why Liverpool backed out)

Lamela would be a great buy. To me though Willian was a bit overpriced. Still considering Bale may be off its worth the risk

Interesting. I'd heard someone, who knew a bloke, whose dog's cousin (or something like that) met Tim Sherwood, who reckoned that Willian's agent was pushing for Liverpool but Willian himself preferred Spurs. Maybe Spurs managed to 'convince' the agent to swithch allegiance.

Sounds like Dempsey was a one year rental. 7m is more than I thought we'd get for him, although I thin it makes a lot of sense for the MLS to get him into the league.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:36 pm
  • Guillem Balague reckons that Madrid are giving us 93m Euros and Coentrao for Bale. If Bale's going to leave, thn this deal will do just fine, thanks. He also says that Ronaldo is staying. Ronaldo and Bale on the same team? Frightening.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm
  • Fee for Dempsey was 9 million US, payed by MLS.

His contract is 34-36 million (US) over 4 years.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:Sounds like Villa were the victims of some away decisions and that Fenerbache were rubbish and Arsenal killed them even without the help of the ref. Nevermind.

I know you're not implying Arsenal had help from the ref to win. The penalty decision was from a clumsy collision. The first goal Fenerbahce should've cut that out but the only guy that could've done that probably would've knocked it in. And then there's Aaron Ramsey, I don't even know what to say, he just keeps proving his capabilities and he was well worth his goal and deserves MOTM. Also gotta give props to the small contingent of Arsenal fans who showed up to the stadium for this match.

Fenerbahce on the other hand, after all that talk of being a dangerous opponent for Arsenal, they just fell flat on their face. I was surprised that, with how Arsenal controlled the 1st half, the score was 0-0 at halftime. Fenerbahce just couldn't get anything right, their passing was erratic and they just couldn't get into attack. Bringing on Emenike brought them somewhat back into the match, but the 3 at the back left them vulnerable and Arsenal exploited it to get their 2nd and 3rd goals.

It is a great response after that joke of a match to start the EPL season, I hope this boosts the morale for the squad and now that Arsenal are in prime position to qualify for the Group Stage(3 away goals makes it almost a foregone conclusion) hopefully that will easy the pressure on Wenger and the club can get some signings completed before September 2nd.

On a somewhat down note, Koscielny apparently suffered a really deep cut on the forehead after receiving that kick to the face in the first half, Wenger stated that Kos was taken to the hospital for examination to tell how serious it really is.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:34 am
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:I sincerely hope Villa will upset Chelsea today.

I'm sincerely happy your hopes were shattered. :D
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 am
  • TwilightError wrote:
    MANUNITED23 wrote:I sincerely hope Villa will upset Chelsea today.

so the debate begins... whats more annoying.. Arsenal fans and their persisent battle with themselves for credibility or Chelsea fans and their persistent apathetic ignoring of the fact they are the worlds most hated club

let the debate begin!

(thought Villa had that one yesterday to be honest... Mourinho's Chelsea is a far different group than AVB or Rafa's for sure)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:17 am
  • Smurf wrote:Fee for Dempsey was 9 million US, payed by MLS.

His contract is 34-36 million (US) over 4 years.

Why would a league pay for one player to transfer into one of its teams? seems shady (cue Timber fans...)

Just kidding... and what is that in Euros and pounds? like 4 million? Thats about what Liverpool wanted to pay for Dempsey initially.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 am
  • Works out at a shade under £ 6m. Good deal for Spurs, and for Seattle, based on his profile.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:49 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Works out at a shade under £ 6m. Good deal for Spurs, and for Seattle, based on his profile.

I dont think its a good idea for a league that will find itself under more and more competition with the PL in the very near future to be dumping 9 million into player transfers. I get why they did it on this occassion (you HAVE to take advantage of the USMNT captain being available), but I'd be leary if the league ponies up more dough for another club to purchase another high profile player on the back end of his career.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:35 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    TwilightError wrote:
    MANUNITED23 wrote:I sincerely hope Villa will upset Chelsea today.

so the debate begins... whats more annoying.. Arsenal fans and their persisent battle with themselves for credibility or Chelsea fans and their persistent apathetic ignoring of the fact they are the worlds most hated club

let the debate begin!

(thought Villa had that one yesterday to be honest... Mourinho's Chelsea is a far different group than AVB or Rafa's for sure)

Si, you're mistaken, Man U is the World's Most Hated Club, Chelsea's close behind though.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 am
  • Arsenal appear set to begin a 12 day spending spree(I'll believe it when I see it) with the completion of a free transfer for Mathieu Flamini. The Gunners are also reportedly interested in Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria, and Real Madrid is apparently interested in Suarez again and might consider selling Benzema to fund the move.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:12 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:Arsenal appear set to begin a 12 day spending spree(I'll believe it when I see it) with the completion of a free transfer for Mathieu Flamini. The Gunners are also reportedly interested in Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria, and Real Madrid is apparently interested in Suarez again and might consider selling Benzema to fund the move.

sure they are... Only wenger can start a "spending spree" with a free transfer.

bet hes a got a bridge in the desert to sell you too

have to do something though dont they? i dont think even the most optimistic Arsenal fan believe they are secured top 4 with the current squad
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:so the debate begins... whats more annoying.. Arsenal fans and their persisent battle with themselves for credibility or Chelsea fans and their persistent apathetic ignoring of the fact they are the worlds most hated club

Ignoring? I cherish the fact that everyone hates us. Its even better when we win because it pisses everyone else off :D

Btw. I know Arsenal is paying their stadium loan and therefore does not want to spend money and I guess that is understandable from the club perspective. But why would any player want to go into that situation? 'Come to us, youll help us pay a loan', when some other club will say 'Come to us, youll help us win silverware'. Its no wonder that they tried to sign everyone in the summer but were unable get them.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 am
  • TwilightError wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:so the debate begins... whats more annoying.. Arsenal fans and their persisent battle with themselves for credibility or Chelsea fans and their persistent apathetic ignoring of the fact they are the worlds most hated club

Ignoring? I cherish the fact that everyone hates us. Its even better when we win because it pisses everyone else off :D

Btw. I know Arsenal is paying their stadium loan and therefore does not want to spend money and I guess that is understandable from the club perspective. But why would any player want to go into that situation? 'Come to us, youll help us pay a loan', when some other club will say 'Come to us, youll help us win silverware'. Its no wonder that they tried to sign everyone in the summer but were unable get them.

I applaud your enthusiastic acceptance of being a c**t.

seriously, there are like 12 kids that I coach (12-18) that are all Chelsea fans and I want to drop them in training (there just too damned fast to catch)

Arsenals management is like the girl that wont put out... i mean yeah its great she will let you go up her shirt every night, but she'd be damned if its going any further. (Chelsea's management is like hooking up with a hot chick, hitting it on the first night, then waking up with crabs)

i'm funny as hell today
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 am
  • I applaud your enthusiastic acceptance of being a c**t.

seriously, there are like 12 kids that I coach (12-18) that are all Chelsea fans and I want to drop them in training (there just too damned fast to catch)

Arsenals management is like the girl that wont put out... i mean yeah its great she will let you go up her shirt every night, but she'd be damned if its going any further. (Chelsea's management is like hooking up with a hot chick, hitting it on the first night, then waking up with crabs)

i'm funny as hell today

Hilarious.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:

I shudder to think what type of girl Hull City is. I'm guessing that they look a fair bit like their manager, though.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I shudder to think what type of girl Hull City is. I'm guessing that they look a fair bit like their manager, though.

you've seriously got something against Hull City, or maybe it's just their manager.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:49 am
  • I really disliked Phil Brown last time around, probably irrationally, but Bruce takes it to another level. Being an Arsenal fan you'll be familiar with a good whingey post-match interview, but Arsene has nothing on Steve 'I'm not one to vomplain about the referee, but...' Bruce. Every single time they lose.

Drives me nuts.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:39 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:I really disliked Phil Brown last time around, probably irrationally, but Bruce takes it to another level. Being an Arsenal fan you'll be familiar with a good whingey post-match interview, but Arsene has nothing on Steve 'I'm not one to vomplain about the referee, but...' Bruce. Every single time they lose.

Drives me nuts.

Hull city is like those desperate nights where you sneak off to the ugly neighbors house after drinking... And she gets pregnant. Now you're stuck with an ugly girl as n ugly kid and don't want anyone to know....

Liverpool is that hot girl you marry young.... Then she stops putting out... Like for good. Maybe an occassional back rub that gets your hopes up but eventually goes nowhere. but you never lose hope that she may again one day. (and you can't quite shake the feeling she's cheating on you)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:40 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:I really disliked Phil Brown last time around, probably irrationally, but Bruce takes it to another level. Being an Arsenal fan you'll be familiar with a good whingey post-match interview, but Arsene has nothing on Steve 'I'm not one to vomplain about the referee, but...' Bruce. Every single time they lose.

Drives me nuts.

Hull city is like those desperate nights where you sneak off to the ugly neighbors house after drinking... And she gets pregnant. Now you're stuck with an ugly girl as n ugly kid and don't want anyone to know....

Liverpool is that hot girl you marry young.... Then she stops putting out... Like for good. Maybe an occassional back rub that gets your hopes up but eventually goes nowhere. but you never lose hope that she may again one day. (and you can't quite shake the feeling she's cheating on you)

And according to Wenger, Arsenal is like the guy that tries to ask out a hot girl, but she chooses someone else.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am
  • Good result for Arsenal today. Can be tough to win those wee rivalry games like that.

Thought Liverpool played very well in the first half and not so well in the second. Second half Villa closed down better and kept possession better, Liverpool couldn't find a way through. Henderson just isn't cutting it. When Suarez comes back, I reckon Henderson will drop to the bench with Coutinho tucking in behind the front three of Sturridge, Suarez and Aspas. Then Gerrard and Lucas behind him.

Anyway, good to have maximum points going into this United match next week. I reckon we can out-muscle them in the middle of the park easy enough, but RVP is always a danger, and we can't rely on Mignolet being Superman forever.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am
  • Overslept and missed the majority of Arsenal's win over Fulham. I did manage to catch the last 30 minutes. What I saw was a bit encouraging, Arsenal didn't seemed phased by any of Fulham's attacks, they were unfortunate to concede, but I saw that coming when Berbatov got in the box with Bent standing far post. Podolski was very good today going in attack and defended when he was needed, and Giroud continued his fine goal scoring form to start this season(3 in 3, 11 overall counting the preseason), also I never realized it but a DM article pointed out that all of Olivier's EPL goals for Arsenal have come in London. Hopefully the club makes a signing, or 2-3, by next Sunday in time for the NLD, probably will be boosted by Koscielny's return from suspension.

One other side note, some Fulham fans might've been pissed off at BT Sport because this would be the view they had of the match:

I then watched Sunderland vs Southampton, I think the Black Cats got lucky they left St Mary's Stadium with a draw as the Saints were well worth 3 points and it was amazing it took them till the 89th minute to finally score their only goal.

I also caught the Liverpool match and I think everyone can agree that Liverpool probably should be calling themselves lucky for the 2nd week in a row, last week with that last minute penalty save preserved the win over Stoke, and that entire 2nd half this week where it almost felt like Villa scoring would've been a given. The Reds did deserve the 3 points with how they held off the Villains in the 2nd half, but they probably would've accepted the draw if they had failed to do that.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 am
  • I wouldn't say 'lucky'. We scored a goal and defended well enough not to concede both weeks. Of course I'd like to see us score more and be more dominant, but that will come in time. I'm happy with maximum points so far to start the league.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:43 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:I wouldn't say 'lucky'. We scored a goal and defended well enough not to concede both weeks. Of course I'd like to see us score more and be more dominant, but that will come in time. I'm happy with maximum points so far to start the league.

Liverpool did good enough to get the wins against Villa and Stoke, but if not for some good fortune(big saves by Mignolet), they'd have 2 points and not 6.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 pm
  • Liverpool wins and Everton draws, (again) great footballing day. Mingolet looking like a value at 9 million, Toure also a steal.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Good goalkeeping isn't lucky... And to say Mignolet saved two points against Stoke is ignorant to Begovics 13 saves.

Hard fought three points for the Reds. Not a pretty win but one we hadn't seen off in a few years to be honest.

Let's get a player in here! Would live to add a winger or cm right as Suarez returns
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Good goalkeeping isn't lucky... And to say Mignolet saved two points against Stoke is ignorant to Begovics 13 saves.

Hard fought three points for the Reds. Not a pretty win but one we hadn't seen off in a few years to be honest.

Let's get a player in here! Would live to add a winger or cm right as Suarez returns

Well that Benteke strike(more like rocket) looked like it should've gone in but it appeared Toure got the slightest of slight touches with his toe and took enough pace off it to give Mignolet a chance to save it.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:50 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Good goalkeeping isn't lucky... And to say Mignolet saved two points against Stoke is ignorant to Begovics 13 saves.

Well that Benteke strike(more like rocket) looked like it should've gone in but it appeared Toure got the slightest of slight touches with his toe and took enough pace off it to give Mignolet a chance to save it.

Stop worrying about our keeper, and worry about your average one.

I think Liverpool needs a quality wide player and a quality CB to rest Agger and Toure, so we don't run them into the ground. Anything additional in the window would be icing on the cake.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Stop worrying about our keeper, and worry about your average one.

I think Liverpool needs a quality wide player and a quality CB to rest Agger and Toure, so we don't run them into the ground. Anything additional in the window would be icing on the cake.

You mean the one who made a quickfire double save on Taraabt and Duff? I constantly say that Szczesny is one of the best clutch keepers in the EPL, his problem is that he has a bad habit of becoming complacent without a challenge to push him. Saying Wojciech is average is kind of a foolish statement.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 pm
  • Its all luck except when Arsenal do it...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:01 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Its all luck except when Arsenal do it...

Did I say that? No, I didn't.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:56 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Its all luck except when Arsenal do it...

Did I say that? No, I didn't.

lol.

Twat.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:13 am
  • 4 goals conceded in 2 games.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:28 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:4 goals conceded in 2 games.

2 from the PK spot(technically), 1 off a rebound he couldn't do much about and a breakaway goal.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:4 goals conceded in 2 games.

2 from the PK spot(technically), 1 off a rebound he couldn't do much about and a breakaway goal.

Cool story bro.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:29 am
  • The referee in the Spurs match isn't very consistent. He calls a free kick when there should've been a penalty and a penalty when there's a dive.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:58 am
  • CARDIFF!!!!

Also, Spurs do look decent so far, but I reckon have been kinda fortunate to collect all the points in those matches. Still, that's what you need in this league, and Liverpool have had a fair wee bit so far, too.

Anyway, Man City....gonna have some problems this season. I'm curious to see what happens tomorrow night, because I though Chelsea looked rough against Villa, and if United look rough against Chelsea, then this league is literally anyone's.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:02 am
  • We're still on for 114 points Peaches. 2 1-0 penalty wins isn't particularly convincing, but Spurs have been easily the better side in both. The penalty today I thought was a tad soft but legit. Townsend went over easy but Shelvey unnecessarily thrust his knee into his leg as he went past, which was a pretty bonehead move.

Ha ha City! Long may that continue.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:07 am
  • Gate - I doubt Swansea would selk, but Arsenal should try to buy Vorm. Fulham was pretty wasteful yesterday but Carzola had them in knots.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:36 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Gate - I doubt Swansea would selk, but Arsenal should try to buy Vorm. Fulham was pretty wasteful yesterday but Carzola had them in knots.

What I got after finally watching the whole match was that Cazorla had Fulham thinking down was up, up was down, left was Nebraska and right was Singapore. Ramsey again was impressive for the 2nd game in a row. Podolski again proved how dangerous he is, especially when he disappears, he makes opponents forget he's out there, then pops up and unleashes that left footed shot and the results was both goals he scored, the first of which could've decapitated Brede Hangeland(or KO'd him). And then Giroud again keeps proving that another striker shouldn't be the main priority for Arsenal. I know everyone wants Arsenal to buy a proven goal scorer, I do to, but Arsenal have to reinforce other positions, mainly CB, before they go elsewhere. Vorm might be a good signing if Arsenal were to go and get him, that would be #2 on my priority list if I was Wenger. Another striker would be #3 and I wouldn't mind if it ends up being someone to use as a back up for Giroud, cause Olivier continues to improve with each game and I'd rather see a rotating starting striker set up than a starting striker and one that is either only used when the game is decided or when the starter shouldn't be subbed off is subbed off.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:36 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:We're still on for 114 points Peaches. 2 1-0 penalty wins isn't particularly convincing, but Spurs have been easily the better side in both. The penalty today I thought was a tad soft but legit. Townsend went over easy but Shelvey unnecessarily thrust his knee into his leg as he went past, which was a pretty bonehead move.

Ha ha City! Long may that continue.

I don't think anyone felt that penalty decision was a penalty. I mean how is this a penalty?
    Shelvy almost looks likes he's trying to avoid Townsend, who was looking for contact to go down to. Everyone would've been more at ease if the referee made the correct call on that decision in the first half.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 am
  • I didnt think it was a penalty. However, Shelvey's put himself in a bad spot (as he did in the 1st half) and let Spurs and the ref take advantage of him.

Why is he late moving into that space?

i dont know about "more at ease"... Spurs had a fairly obvious pen denied in the first. Such is the game.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 am
  • Cardiff took their chances very well against City. City's defense is absolutely atrocious and there is no way they can compete for a title with such defense.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:Cardiff took their chances very well against City. City's defense is absolutely atrocious and there is no way they can compete for a title with such defense.

Still plenty of time to sort it out. This is common when there's a manager/philosophy change, it can take the midfield and defense a while to get used to the new system. City will be just fine, and will fight it out with Chelsea for the title this year. The rest of us will battle for the 3rd and 4th spots.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I didnt think it was a penalty. However, Shelvey's put himself in a bad spot (as he did in the 1st half) and let Spurs and the ref take advantage of him.

Why is he late moving into that space?

i dont know about "more at ease"... Spurs had a fairly obvious pen denied in the first. Such is the game.

I mean people wouldn't be debating the penalty calls if the ref had made them correctly.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information