Your Favorite Announcer

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Your Favorite Announcer
Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 am
  • When I first moved to the Seattle area, the first announcers were Dave Niehaus, Pete Gross, and Bob Blackburn. Blackburn announced the first world championship in Seattle with the Supersonics. So he gets the edge for me. Even though our teams haven't been top consistently, the announcers in the Seattle have been the best, IMO. Calabro, Raible, Rizz, Arlo White, Ross Fletcher are all solid.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 am
  • GET OUT THE MUSTARD AND RYE BREAD GRANDMA, ITS GRAND SALAMI TIME!

Yep,,you're right some of the best.

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:58 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:When I first moved to the Seattle area, the first announcers were Dave Niehaus, Pete Gross, and Bob Blackburn. Blackburn announced the first world championship in Seattle with the Supersonics. So he gets the edge for me. Even though our teams haven't been top consistently, the announcers in the Seattle have been the best, IMO. Calabro, Raible, Rizz, Arlo White, Ross Fletcher are all solid.

Thats funny, the first thing my dad answered with when I asked him, he said it was pretty much a tie between Neihaus & Blackburn.

Seattle has been pretty damn fortunate when it comes to Sports Broadcasters, everyone has a very unique and iconic style and voice with them.

Dave Neihaus turned baseball into so much more than just a regular game, by just talking, RIP his soul

Colabro was entertaining and quick witted to go along a fast paced sport, its a perfect match with Colabro and the game of basketball.

Rick Rizzs voice just says baseball from the moment he talks.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:10 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:A lot of people haven't heard Vin call a game, but I am blessed to hear his magnificence almost daily. By far, the best ever in baseball and overall mastery at his craft.

Best part of Vin is you'll find out a players favorite color, place of birth, their second grade science project and their first dogs name all at one at bat.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:50 pm
  • I wish we had a Neihaus\Colabro type of personality call the hawks. Don't get me wrong, I like Raible, but he doesn't even approach the greatness of those two. Throwdown is correct, we are way spoiled in this category

I also can't believe no one mentioned Harry Kalas(RIP) yet. My second favorite baseball voice of all time (Neihaus being first obviously). He not only called Phillies games forever, but was also the voice of NFL films until his death. One of the most recognizable voices in history and he was so dedicated to his profession he literally died in the booth.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:A lot of people haven't heard Vin call a game, but I am blessed to hear his magnificence almost daily. By far, the best ever in baseball and overall mastery at his craft.

Best part of Vin is you'll find out a players favorite color, place of birth, their second grade science project and their first dogs name all at one at bat.

And he will also come up with all kinds of stories, all of them different.

Chopin' fish on LSD
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm
  • The Radish wrote:Always like Dick Buck because you can understand what he says all the time and was very knowledgable.

I know many of you don't like his son but I like him a lot too for the same reason. You can understand what he says.

If you're a boxing fan as I am you have to like Michael Buffer. Sad that with the demise of the sport he has to stoop to doing progressive commercials.

:les:

Boxing is alive and well.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Always like Dick Buck because you can understand what he says all the time and was very knowledgable.

I know many of you don't like his son but I like him a lot too for the same reason. You can understand what he says.

If you're a boxing fan as I am you have to like Michael Buffer. Sad that with the demise of the sport he has to stoop to doing progressive commercials.

Boxing is alive and well.

You talking boxing or cage fighting? 2 completely different things. Boxing is not out front right now like it used to be. You can watch cage fighting about every night but boxing rarely.

On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 pm
  • Steve Raible. None better.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:06 pm
  • NFL - Jon GRUDEN (I like to say it in his voice), Colinsworth is alright, and John Lynch, even though he'san ex-Buc and hates the Saints
    NCAAF - Herbstreit, only one I can stand
    UFC - Bruce Buffer, if we're talking about actual announcers and not commentators :lol:, and Joe Rogan/Mike Goldberg for commentating

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 pm
  • Off-Topic: I really do appreciate Iron Saints passionate hate for NFC South rivals.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 am
  • pehawk wrote:Off-Topic: I really do appreciate Iron Saints passionate hate for NFC South rivals.

Almost as much as your hate for me, right? :lol:

But eh, I don't hate Lynch, he's a good commentator. It's just every now and then you can catch subtle hints of teams he doesn't like. LOL. :th2thumbs:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:36 am

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:55 pm
  • Canada talk coming up here, but Bob Cole. I remember when I was a little kid, tweaking the bunny ears on the tv to get good reception for Hockey Night in Canada and always loved hearing his voice. He still does announce but he's 80 now and announcers just lose some of the quickness when they age. Also always liked Peter maher doing the Flames radio broadcast but he's really slipping up nowadays.
    the ditch
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:51 pm
  • Vin Scully doesn't follow the game, the game follows him. I'm with Largent, he's one in a million.

It was like the inning itself would have to wait for Vin's anecdote to end.

"And wasn't until that fateful day when he found out his Grandfather played in the negro leagues that he knew he would spend HIS life in the major leagues.................and there's a ground ball to second to end the inning"
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:02 pm
  • For me. Cosell and Madden run neck and neck. I like Gruden too.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 am
  • Vin has now been picked as Grand Marshall of the Rose Parade.

Great honor for a great man.

Chopin' fish on LSD
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Previous

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information