This is world class men's tennis?

The Radish

Reaction score
Watched the replay at coffee this morning of the #1 & #8 supposed players in the world.

What a joke, miscues, mistakes on easy shots,looked like a couple of high school kids with good serves.

If this is what they call world class they need to bring back Pete Sampras, or better yet Bjorn Borg.

So damn boring to watch but was stuck with that particular set of TVs all having that replay on.

:les:

pehawk

Reaction score
I think mens tennis has just become unbearable from the technology in the raquets and athleticism. Ball just moves too fast now.

cdallan

Reaction score
You are all idiots.

IDIOTS.

Go back and watch a Youtube video of Sampras at Wimbledon. Your memory is playing tricks on you.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
The Radish":axeghcqr said:
Watched the replay at coffee this morning of the #1 & #8 supposed players in the world.

What a joke, miscues, mistakes on easy shots,looked like a couple of high school kids with good serves.

If this is what they call world class they need to bring back Pete Sampras, or better yet Bjorn Borg.

So damn boring to watch but was stuck with that particular set of TVs all having that replay on.

I can't wait till I get old so I can say everything was better back in my day.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":2jdkzitt said:
I think mens tennis has just become unbearable from the technology in the raquets and athleticism. Ball just moves too fast now.
Agreed. It's all about the big serve you can't even try serve and volley anymore. It's not as bad with women's tennis but Serena does have pretty big serve and groundstrokes and I wouldn't be shocked to see her as the precursor to the type of athlete that will be coming up in the next 10 years or so.

KK84

Reaction score
The Wimbledon finals Federer vs Nadal in 2008 and Federer vs Roddick 2009 both blew anything Sampras did out of the water. I was a huge Sampras fan growing up, but anyone who says Tennis was better then than it is now isn't watching.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":86yu818x said:
The Radish":86yu818x said:

I can't wait till I get old so I can say everything was better back in my day.

Yes you can because getting old sucks big time. But men's tennis used to be a blast to watch. I'd take Bjorn Borg to anything I saw on replay this morning.

Supposed better players or no it used to be fun to watch. That match was so boring it made your head itch.

NoChops

Reaction score
KK84":189qlo1g said:
The Wimbledon finals Federer vs Nadal in 2008 and Federer vs Roddick 2009 both blew anything Sampras did out of the water. I was a huge Sampras fan growing up, but anyone who says Tennis was better then than it is now isn't watching.

I am watching and it was better then, and I'll tell you why.

At one point the game was full of stars that could win a slam at any given point. Pete, Andre, Courier, Chang, Goron, Krajicek, and a handful of "old guard" that could still play spoiler if they caught a break. Edberg, Lendal, Becker, Conners, MAC. Hell, Conners was 83 years old when he made is run in 91.

That is nine hall of fame players that were all playing at the same time. Today's game is in fine shape, but Tennis was "better" then.

Storts

Reaction score
Is this because Americans suck right now?

This is one of the greatest eras of tennis in history, probably the greatest

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
NoChops":fr81c949 said:
KK84":fr81c949 said:

At one point the game was full of stars that could win a slam at any given point. Pete, Andre, Courier, Chang, Goron, Krajicek, and a handful of "old guard" that could still play spoiler if they caught a break. Edberg, Lendal, Becker, Conners, MAC. Hell, Conners was 83 years old when he made is run in 91.

That is nine hall of fame players that were all playing at the same time. Today's game is in fine shape, but Tennis was "better" then.

Now you have Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and Del Potro who could win at any given time. Feder is on the decline and Nadals injuries are catching up on him but those players would probably beat most tennis players of the past due to increased technologies and fitness.

Why is US mens tennis in a funk right now?

Britains has sucked for years and Murray is an exception as he is/was based and trained in Barcelona.

cdallan

Reaction score
This is possibly one of the stupidest threads in .Net history. I am really not trying to be offensive, but I think that a bunch of people who don't watch tennis anymore are trying to justify that, when the real reason is that US men's tennis is a mess. Allow me to demonstrate...

cdallan

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2egsuh68 said:
pehawk":2egsuh68 said:
Agreed. It's all about the big serve you can't even try serve and volley anymore. It's not as bad with women's tennis but Serena does have pretty big serve and groundstrokes and I wouldn't be shocked to see her as the precursor to the type of athlete that will be coming up in the next 10 years or so.

The big serve would lead to the serve and volley game. The fact that people play from the baseline is a reflection of the fact that serves have been slowed down.

cdallan

Reaction score
NoChops":1unx15oz said:
KK84":1unx15oz said:

You're really taking liberties and mixing up 2 eras. Yes the 80s were great, but the 90s weren't. And Sampras and Agassi aside, the players who had their peaks in the 90s weren't that great. Kraijcek? Really? The Polish guy that played Murray yesterday is basically Kraijcek mark 2. Good luck if you want to watch him play for 5 sets.

cdallan

Reaction score
pehawk":34bzir4r said:

No, the ball DID move too fast back in the 90s that everyone is so keen to go back to. The Sampras serve and volley game nearly killed Wimbledon as a spectacle - that was why Agassi was so beloved at Wimbledon, because his return of serve and passing shots gave us a chance of something approaching a sustained rally when playing a big server.

The serve was dominating Wimbledon, so in 2002 they made the balls slower (and I think maybe even the grass too) to reduce the effectiveness of the serve. The ball is now 6% bigger and bounces slower and higher than it did in the 90s. Which is why the 3 shot rallies of the serve and volley era are now largely a thing of the past.

So we have a cognitive dissonance between what everybody thinks they are seeing, and what they are actually seeing. My guess is that those people don't watch and certainly don't play tennis, and they were only watching in the 90s because they had a national interest in Sampras. That interest made you think you were enjoying those games, when in my neutral household (unless Agassi was playing - what a dreamboat) I was almost weeping with boredom and even my chair fell asleep.

NoChops

Reaction score
cdallan":1favxvxa said:
NoChops":1favxvxa said:
KK84":1favxvxa said:

You're really taking liberties and mixing up 2 eras. Yes the 80s were great, but the 90s weren't. And Sampras and Agassi aside, the players who had their peaks in the 90s weren't that great. Kraijcek? Really? The Polish guy that played Murray yesterday is basically Kraijcek mark 2. Good luck if you want to watch him play for 5 sets.

Yep. And that is my point. Now you have Roger, the butt picker, and who?? Murray? Please, he is only gonna win if Fed, Nadal, and Dojo falter. Look at the names I put up there, you have 5 hall of fame players replaced by 4 more. From the mid 80's to the mid 90's there was not a better collection of talent playing the game, you really can't argue that. Lendl was winning majors into the 90's Becker had a couple of Austrailians. Conners in 91 McEnroe in 92, both twenty years after their prime were making the semi's and they were playing andre pete, and chang.

Like I said, I wasn't knocking today's game, there are some great champions out there, but take the liberty yourself, mix this decade and the last one, or maybe the next one and come up with even half of the hall of fame players I did. I bet you can't.