NBA Summer FA/Trade Thread

pehawk

Reaction score
Even though athletically, he's my equal, I do REALLY like the Clippers getting Reddick. Paul can penetrate, Blake can demand double teams in the post, there's going to be open shots for Reddick. And, the Clips got that other guy (cant remember name right now) in the trade, who's a good shooter too.

Bledsoe is a good get for the Pistons as well. He's a solid, tier 2 PG in the league.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see where Greg Oden ends up. I still hope the big fella can have a good career. He was pretty good in the 3 games he actually played. Looks like Miami or San Antonio are the two most likely destinations for him and I think both would be great situations for him.

I'm also really hoping that Dwight Howard goes to Houston so the Blazers can make a move for Omar Asik.

Lastly, curious what you all think of Pierce and Garnett going to Brooklyn? Kind of screams of desperation to me and I don't see it working out very well and it also seems they killed their future with that trade.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":18kmkect said:
Even though athletically, he's my equal, I do REALLY like the Clippers getting Reddick.

I figured you more as a Luke Ridnour type. Small and scrappy and willing to do more then just stand behind the 3 point line.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The Brooklyn deal is horrible for them. To get KG to waive his no-trade clause, the Nets agreed to no buyout provision in his contract. Their on the hook for the FULL contract. It screws them for the near future.

BUT, its the East and KG and Peirce are gamey scrappers. They could make a run...only got 2 years to do it though.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Bledsoe went to Phoenix I thought?

Either way, it'll be fun to watch the Knicks get softer when they get Bargnani.

I don't know what Bynums doing not willing to work out with teams, and I heard the Rockets are shopping Lin.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2n2v6lm3 said:
I'm really curious to see where Greg Oden ends up. I still hope the big fella can have a good career. He was pretty good in the 3 games he actually played. Looks like Miami or San Antonio are the two most likely destinations for him and I think both would be great situations for him.

I'm also really hoping that Dwight Howard goes to Houston so the Blazers can make a move for Omar Asik.

Lastly, curious what you all think of Pierce and Garnett going to Brooklyn? Kind of screams of desperation to me and I don't see it working out very well and it also seems they killed their future with that trade.

It's a dumb ass move, they weren't giving MarShon Brooks a chance because their owner is a title hungry freak who's out to grab every over rated player ever instead of letting young studs like Brooks and Lopez flourish. Lopez has, Brooks never got a chance, just wait til you guys see him in Boston this coming season.

Simply put it was a horrid move, they still won't beat the Heat with that team, Bron by himself will run them out the building still cuz their god damn old.

Also expect to see the Heat add some beef to their front court, they simply can't just go back with what they had, the Pacers will beat them, so will the Bulls.

SirTed

Reaction score
I meant to come over here and start a similar thread today, DANG!

Bledsoe went to PHX. I hate it. Not because it's a bad move for them (although it's INCREDIBLY confusing, they have 4 PG's on the roster now) but because I wanted him in Orlando with Oladipo.

I don't completely hate the NJ move. I would actually like it okay if it weren't for Jason Kidd being their coach. Maybe J. Kidd ends up being great, but I just don't think having a rookie coach running a team full of vets who are on a 1-2 yr plan is smart, but oh well.

I think JJ to the Clips is great for both Reddick and the LA, but sucky for me because I hate the Clips. Solid move. Reddick has done a really nice job finding, and working at his niche in the NBA. It looked for a few years that his career was going no where, obviously the "new" NBA trend of spacing the floor, pick and roll into corner 3's really helped but he's done good work. Who would have thought that Reddick's career would have lasted so much longer than Morrison going into that draft? Wow.

What I want to know is this -

What are your fantasy destinations for the remaining FA's, or players that have mentioned in trades, and why?

JSeahawks gave a couple that I agree with, I think.

I want Howard in Houston (if outer space is out of play), and if that frees Asik to PDX, even better.
I'd love to see Oden land in SA, although that doesn't look as likely with Splitter re-signing there.

The two that I can't figure out are Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala. Where's the best fits for their game? What the hell is Josh Smith's game anyway? I'm not really asking because I'm unfamiliar, it's more of a "Okay, I see what you can do, now how the hell do I make best use of it" thing. I don't hate his game, but I hate that he gets pinned as a Superstar. I'd kill myself if he was my favorite team's best player.

Iggy is somewhat similar, although I like him more. I'm just not sure that I'd be willing to pay him "superstar" money. There are about 1,000 guys in the league right now that either bring most of the skills that Iggy brings (but not all) or brings them all but not as well, and they all make a lot less money.

What / Who else is still out there?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I seen somewhere that Iggy & Smith might join up in Detroit... I wanna know how they're going to score at that point.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
My bad on Bledsoe.

I read that part of Houston's pitch to Dwight was Josh Smith joining him there. That doesn't make sense, IMO. He's a poor, poor mans Harden, IMO. He's to much of a volume scorer. I cant see if working in Houston. But, I hate Smith as a player.

Throwdown

Reaction score
pehawk":2e06x9wt said:
My bad on Bledsoe.

I read that part of Houston's pitch to Dwight was Josh Smith joining him there. That doesn't make sense, IMO. He's a poor, poor mans Harden, IMO. He's to much of a volume scorer. I cant see if working in Houston. But, I hate Smith as a player.

Josh Smith or JR Smith? Sounds like you were describing JR, either one doesn't deserve a max contract at all.

Josh Smith would be fine to play along side Howard, has Howard ever had a PF like him along side him? I think that'd be a pretty interesting combo of Howard/Smith/Harden

JR Smith on the other hand is a 6th man who can never accept his role for whatever reason, i like him, but not as a starter and definitely not on a big ass contract like hes looking for.

It also looks like Tyreke Evans and the Pelicans are pretty chummy, what does that do with Eric Gordon who didn't want to be in New Orleans in the first place? Nice trade piece if they the Pelicans are looking to cash in on next years draft for Wiggins or Parker.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I mean Josh Smith. But, Ill admit I could be biased on this. I disconnected cable anytime the Hawks would be playing with Smith and Joe Johnson. Watching them made me PHYSICALLY ill. I hate anything and anyone having to do with those Hawks teams. Bunch of dudes chucking up HORRID shots.

Throwdown

Reaction score
lol word, I only like Horford off ATL, but Johnsons in Brooklyn chuckin the ball around. Its a shame I really want to root for Brooklyn because I like their rebranding, but they keep bringing in players that I could care less about.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm with you on Brooklyn, I REALLY want to buy in. But man, villian from Layer Cake's just assembling ANY talent, regardless of position or the entire roster in mind.

In Miami, Wade took Marquette to a Final Four and won a title. LBJ took himself and 4 pehawks to the finals in 2007. And Bosh was the best player on an Olympic squad. It made sense...Brooklyn has nothing like that, really.

So, you're telling me, my hate of those Johnson/Smith Hawks teams is skewing my current opinion on Smith? As far as I was concerned those Hawks teams set shot-selection and the game back 20 years.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Oh Smith is a chucker, just not to the magnitude of Johnson, JR Smith, and no where even close to Melo

Throwdown

Reaction score
Brad Stevens, Butler coach (Now former) is going to be the HC for Boston, interesting.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I like the move, REALLY like it. Ainge started HORRIBLE as a GM but is learning quickly. Great hire.

TravTex

Reaction score
I might just be a homer alarmist, but WTF SPURS?!?!?!? There are some charity contracts being handed out, here.

To begin free agency, how do you not waive Matt Bonner before his contract kicks in for 4 million? It does NOT cost that much to get a tall dude to go in and chuck up threes while we're up by twenty points.

Enter Tiago Splitter. 9 million a year for four years. Ugh. I wouldn't mind paying that for a big who couldn't get posted up by Dwayne Wade. He's 28, so I don't think he's going to suddenly fill out and acquire lower body strength.

Manu... Manu, Manu, Manu. Single-handedly costs the Spurs the Finals, and gets rewarded with 2 years, 14 million. It's like they're TRYING to suck.

San Antonio had cap room for the first time in forever, and just pissed it away. Tons of better options out there, tons. Yeah, cohesion is HUGE, but at a certain point you have to churn things up a bit. Particularly when Plan A is giving Matt Bonner four million bucks. Tell me the Spurs could not have done something better with 11 million per year than Bonner + Ginobli. *@#&*(@!!!

m0ng0

Reaction score
I hope Portland makes a run at Asik or Milsap, we need a banger/garbageman in the middle as Aldridge is to finesse for that type of work.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Milsap would be a nice compliment to LaMarcus.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I love Milsap

Also theres a trade rumor out there, Pelicans would get Evans, Blazers would get Robin Lopez, Vasquez would go to the Kings.

Kings also pulled an offer from Iggy, that he wasn't too happy about cold feet about spending money lolz