ATTN NHL Fans: Coyotes to Seattle is Plan B?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Watching the "Coyotes" search on Twitter is quite the mixed bag. One thing's for sure: things moved too damn fast for any optimism the team's staying put there. Tonight's the night! Don't break my heart again, NHL.

Yea, I'm watching #coyotes and #nhlseattle

No one knows what is going on! All over the map on comments.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Watching the "Coyotes" search on Twitter is quite the mixed bag. One thing's for sure: things moved too damn fast for any optimism the team's staying put there. Tonight's the night! Don't break my heart again, NHL.

Yea, I'm watching #coyotes and #nhlseattle

No one knows what is going on! All over the map on comments.

I'm just trying hard not to get pissed at getting used all over again before it actually happens. Do you know how hard it is to use a keyboard with your fingers crossed like this?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• You guts are wasting your time and effort. We aren't getting jack. We suck. I want to jump off a bridge.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Probably.

I told myself not to get involved, to not waste my time.

But somehow I started reading, following news.... funny I didn't even realize how much I was doing it. Son of a B! :evil:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:You guts are wasting your time and effort. We aren't getting jack. We suck. I want to jump off a bridge.

I really wish you would with your whining ass
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• The CoG is going to vote yes on a counter-proposal that the prospective owners already called a non-starter. The NHL will announce that they are forced to relocate and as Seattle NHL fans start celebrating, the coyotes quietly move to Quebec City. I can already see it.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• KK84 wrote:The CoG is going to vote yes on a counter-proposal that the prospective owners already called a non-starter. The NHL will announce that they are forced to relocate and as Seattle NHL fans start celebrating, the coyotes quietly move to Quebec City. I can already see it.

That's my second-worst fear. I'd love to see hockey back in Quebec City, but not at the expense of Seattle.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Come on, it' stupid to start celbrating before we got skates on the ice, people. Not to mention blood and teeth and colon fragments.
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• Sounds delicious!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:You guts are wasting your time and effort. We aren't getting jack. We suck. I want to jump off a bridge.

I really wish you would with your whining ass

:13:
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• Talk about LOL:

KJZZ 91.5 ‏@kjzzphoenix 10m
    Revealed at City of Glendale council meeting that if #hockey deal passes, @phoenixcoyotes name would be changed to Arizona Coyotes. #NHL

Jeromy Felts ‏@Tipfelts 8m
    RSE attorney describing parking fee structure, splitting parking income with Glendale. $10 per car hockey, $15 per car other events

Bob McClay ‏@BobMcClay 2m
    Glendale manager says Coyotes is a bad deal. RSE's Wood says client can't accept city 5 yr out clause.

John Faker ‏@John_Faker 1m
    "Guys we are totally going to get more people to come to game by charging more for tickets and parking!" - actual people in Glendale
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Oh God! PARKING! Parking killed us on the Kings to Seattle deal!

Glendal & Sacramento must love to park.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• This taken during the heat of the city council debate on keeping the Coyotes in Glendale.

OUCH!

Clair Wyant ‏@ClairDogg 3m

Don't show this to the Glendale City Council, #Coyotes not trending in #Phoenix. pic.twitter.com/GACAFn5wio

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Waiting anxiously, but won't be too upset if this doesn't work out. For me this feels way different than the Sonics did - and at this point I actually care far more about the NHL than the NBA. I think it's been clear enough that we are a backup plan that I won't feel jilted if the city re-ups with their team. Good for them if they do, but I'll be sad.

I don't think Bettman will move the team to Quebec City rather than Seattle. He has ALWAYS had an issue with increasing the number of Canadian teams, and it is not in keeping with his MO to relocate an American team to Canadian soil.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• With this we really are a football town. No NBA,NHL. Our MLB is crap for a decade. 8 managers later. And soccer doesn't count I mean come on watching 90 min and get a 0-0 tie, I'm done right there. And which one of you guys are gunna tell me you watch the storm.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• I'M SO CONFUSED! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:I'M SO CONFUSED! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

Looks like the Kings are staying in Sacramento
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• scott bordow ‏@sbordow 2m
    Right now, Sherwood, Knaack, Martinez and Chavira probably the yes votes. Should pass 4-3 unless one of the four changes mind. #coyotes

Apparently a council member against it said "I know it's going to pass" during her speech
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• "We have to vote to keep these Coyotes so we can find out just what the NHL is, and if anybody here even cares about it." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"Nobody has ever abused us quite as kindly as you good folks have, so we really have to vote yes on this deal." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"Three quarters of all jobs in Glendale exist solely because of the Coyotes." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"We plan on installing a salary cap on municipal services such as police and fire departments, because that's how dedicated we are to hockey here." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"What's $90 Mil among friends, anyway?" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"If the team moved, Glendale would lose thousands of dollars worth of revenue from Canadian tourists." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"The annual operating cost for the Glendale arena is 10 percent of whatever we can raise in tomorrow's telethon, so let's get calling." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"Can someone pass a hat around and take up a collection so we can keep this team here?" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"How can we lose this team when we just learned what icing is?" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"In this economy, losing the team would mean devastation to thousands of Glendale-area dentists." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"Losing the team would mean thousands of fans of other teams would have to pay higher prices to see those teams at other venues." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"At least we aren't the Predators." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"If the Coyotes leave town, where else will the good citizens of Glendale be able to find enough ice to escape from the blazing temperatures outside?" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"This meeting is proof that Coyote fans do in fact exist, therefore we must keep the team." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"We really owe it to both our season ticket holders to keep the team here." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"There are literally hundreds of hockey fans down here who would be devastated if we lost the team." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"You can tell what a dedicated hockey fan base we have here in Arizona, because they all showed up for this meeting." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"We are going to mortgage goddamn city hall if that's what it takes to keep the Coyotes here in the desert." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"We fully trust Gary Bettman, and that shows how educated and dedicated we are as hockey fans here in Arizona." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"We plan on dropping funding from firefighters to support the Coyotes, as that's money that never goes to use here in Arizona anyway." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"If we stop throwing money on this fire, it will go out, and we can't have that." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"Vote yes on this deal and receive a free hockey puck to celebrate the start of next season." - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"High sticking, boarding, icing, cross checking, fighting, penalizing, zamboniing, curling, the luge - see we know our hockey terms!" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"Just to show how dedicated to our hockey down here, we're dropping the gloves right here tonight for a bench-clearing brawl!" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

"The Coyotes will move from Arizona when hell freezes over, and it ain't even cold here!" - The entire Glendale City Council (probably).

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Soooo when will the Panthers be available?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Sounds like a suicide deal for either, 2028 for the Coyotes? can they even survive that? I mean after 5 years they can opted out, but that screws over the city.

Goodness!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• lol I truely hope for you NHL Fanatics this happens, hell even I want to try NHL hockey out to see what it be like!

Plus having the NHL would give me a great idea on things with the NBA.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Looks like a deal is gonna get done, with the stadium being in westgate a lot of the business are pushing hard, and the attorneys are in lobby talking.
    jpetty38
    NET Bench Warmer

• Deal is passed, 4-3. What a train wreck that was. See you in five years, Coyotes!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I watched all 4 hours of that council meeting. That city is screwed. It elects people with no public speaking or apparently even basic English skills, they are mortgaging their future for projected... I'm not even sure project what they are projecting 6m + loss for 5 years, they say the payoff is in 20 year? What in the world is going on. Sad stupid little city, gives America a bad name.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Well, that sucks.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I don't see why anyone would ever give us a team when they can keep using us like this.

Note to professional sports teams: If you want ANYTHING just threaten to move to Seattle and the city wallets open right up! even if police and fire and teachers are being laid off.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• normally I'd say I want a team in Seattle, but I want the Coyotes to stay here in Phoenix. Westgate is the best place to go on the weekends around here.
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• Msfann wrote:police and fire and teachers are being laid off.

That is what is sooooooo baffling. I don't want to steal anybodies team away, but I just can't understand how irresponsible these cities are to keep a failing business at their tax payers expense. If I were a resident of Sacramento or Glendale I would be livid. More so than the tax payers that paid gor Safeco.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• TheRealDTM wrote:I watched all 4 hours of that council meeting. That city is screwed. It elects people with no public speaking or apparently even basic English skills, they are mortgaging their future for projected... I'm not even sure project what they are projecting 6m + loss for 5 years, they say the payoff is in 20 year? What in the world is going on. Sad stupid little city, gives America a bad name.

I watched the whole thing unfold via Twitter, and some of the stuff I was seeing was completely baffling. That's exactly what I took from it - that no matter the outcome of the team, that city's public officials have worse leadership and decision-making skills than Wile E. Coyote. It was seriously like watching a train wreck happen over and over again in slow motion.

:shock:
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Reading an article on an Arizona news site, first two comments.

Paul Welch · Top Commenter · Phoenix, Arizona
    Great news. More than four years of this mess is OVER!

Um Paul, its just postpones 5 years, that out-clause will be used.

Then the response:

Trevor Beatty · Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Now we can get on with the next 5 yrs of heavy financial losses till the $50 mil out clause kicks in, Quebec has their arena completed or Seattle has their NBA situation settled and then the team can pull up stakes and re-locate. This is a stop-gap measure for the NHL to unload the team to a smoke and mirrors third party, who will "run" the team, while Glendale funds 2/3's of the losses, giving the re-location cities time to get their ducks in a row and thenl the magic $50 mil in losses appear triggering the out clause and they are gone.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I for one look forward to Sacramento and Glendale as being the prime examples as to why more cities are going to be passing their own versions of I-91. What a trainwreck that I just don't feel bad for watching. And yeah, if I was a tax payer, I would be livid for these deals.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• KK84 wrote:As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.

From what I've gathered and heard from people in the know, most don't think about watching hockey anyways.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• Great perspective from a poster on another site

SDSmith wrote:
    I rode the Kings rollercoaster, and to a smaller degree the Coyotes rollercoaster too. What I learned is, I woke-up today in my beautiful city (born here too) and have two great deep pocket ownership groups to look forward too. The Sacto and Glendale folks are looking at tax bills, parking fees, surcharges, leveraged owners, and they awoke in Glendale and Sacto.

I’ll await the return of the green & gold, and the guys on ice. Patience. Ok, I’ll wait for the better deal. My wallet will be buying tickets, jerseys and beer—not parking surcharges …
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• JOz56 wrote:
    KK84 wrote:As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.

From what I've gathered and heard from people in the know, most don't think about watching hockey anyways.

That's strange, as most of the people I've worked with at 2 different places are hockey fans... people talk more about hockey here than the dbacks
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• Everybody knew Portland was in the conversation and really were in a better situation to get the team then Seattle was, but I think Vulcan braintrust saw the writing on the wall no sense making a big push when everybody knew the yotes were going nowhere.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Paul Allen has the money and has shown he will spend it, the NHL would be foolish not to listen to what he has to offer.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Ready for plan B again? League to take over NJ Devils with no plans for relocation... something sounds familliar. Altgou this time the owner can't pay for his brand new building despite pretty good attendance. I think there are a few teams out there in trouble that the league is keeping quiet about. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429396
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Do they like to "park" in New Jersey? If so we have no chance!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seattle wasn't even plan B, Paul Allen was ready to bring the team to Portland if it fell through with Phx, but he didn't want to be used like Seattle so they stayed quit in the media. Expect he and his group will watch this situation as well.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:Seattle wasn't even plan B, Paul Allen was ready to bring the team to Portland if it fell through with Phx, but he didn't want to be used like Seattle so they stayed quit in the media. Expect he and his group will watch this situation as well.

I get this feeling also.

Allen's group: is the team for sale? Yes? We'll take it. 8)
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I'd love confirmation that Portland was truly Plan B. The NHL wants Seattle far more. Allen has the money, but when it comes to a league decision like the movement of a team they own or expansion, they're going to go after Seattle and locking down its building plan well before they make a move to Portland.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:I'd love confirmation that Portland was truly Plan B. The NHL wants Seattle far more. Allen has the money, but when it comes to a league decision like the movement of a team they own or expansion, they're going to go after Seattle and locking down its building plan well before they make a move to Portland.

Portland has been on the radar for at least the last 12 years. They where very close to getting the Penguins before Lemeuix saved them from BK.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• PDX wants to be big league so bad.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/trail- ... hl-coyotes

If the Yotes were to be sold who do you think the NHL would rather have? Someone who got screwed by the nba already and has no building other then plans on paper OR one of the richest men in the world that already successfully runs 2 teams and has a beautiful NHL ready building?

This is not meant to be a slight on you folks in seattle, but its not rocket science.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• also this little nugget was gleaned from the Devils article posted "The team will not relocate, the source said, adding that Vanberbeek will retain a minority ownership with the Devils."
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information