ATTN NHL Fans: Coyotes to Seattle is Plan B?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Paul Allen has the money and has shown he will spend it, the NHL would be foolish not to listen to what he has to offer.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Ready for plan B again? League to take over NJ Devils with no plans for relocation... something sounds familliar. Altgou this time the owner can't pay for his brand new building despite pretty good attendance. I think there are a few teams out there in trouble that the league is keeping quiet about. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429396
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Do they like to "park" in New Jersey? If so we have no chance!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seattle wasn't even plan B, Paul Allen was ready to bring the team to Portland if it fell through with Phx, but he didn't want to be used like Seattle so they stayed quit in the media. Expect he and his group will watch this situation as well.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:Seattle wasn't even plan B, Paul Allen was ready to bring the team to Portland if it fell through with Phx, but he didn't want to be used like Seattle so they stayed quit in the media. Expect he and his group will watch this situation as well.

I get this feeling also.

Allen's group: is the team for sale? Yes? We'll take it. 8)
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I'd love confirmation that Portland was truly Plan B. The NHL wants Seattle far more. Allen has the money, but when it comes to a league decision like the movement of a team they own or expansion, they're going to go after Seattle and locking down its building plan well before they make a move to Portland.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:I'd love confirmation that Portland was truly Plan B. The NHL wants Seattle far more. Allen has the money, but when it comes to a league decision like the movement of a team they own or expansion, they're going to go after Seattle and locking down its building plan well before they make a move to Portland.

Portland has been on the radar for at least the last 12 years. They where very close to getting the Penguins before Lemeuix saved them from BK.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• PDX wants to be big league so bad.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/trail- ... hl-coyotes

If the Yotes were to be sold who do you think the NHL would rather have? Someone who got screwed by the nba already and has no building other then plans on paper OR one of the richest men in the world that already successfully runs 2 teams and has a beautiful NHL ready building?

This is not meant to be a slight on you folks in seattle, but its not rocket science.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• also this little nugget was gleaned from the Devils article posted "The team will not relocate, the source said, adding that Vanberbeek will retain a minority ownership with the Devils."
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• In a few months time the Seattle arena will be pretty much shovel ready. The NHL can have flirted with PDX for a hundred years for all I care, if the Seattle building gets locked down one way or another, there's no competition between the two markets.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:In a few months time the Seattle arena will be pretty much shovel ready. The NHL can have flirted with PDX for a hundred years for all I care, if the Seattle building gets locked down one way or another, there's no competition between the two markets.

And no ownership group will bring a fraction of what Paul Allen can bring to the table.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:In a few months time the Seattle arena will be pretty much shovel ready. The NHL can have flirted with PDX for a hundred years for all I care, if the Seattle building gets locked down one way or another, there's no competition between the two markets.

And no ownership group will bring a fraction of what Paul Allen can bring to the table.

That'll work to your advantage when he's buying from a selling owner, but when it's an NHL decision that the commissioner has his hands all over, the league will pick Seattle. They're going to want the significantly better market.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• oh really then why did the Atlanta Thrashers go to the HUGE metropolis of Winnepeg?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• The then owner of he Thrasher sold the team to Winnepeg investors, the Coyotes were owned by the NHL, NHL also told the Canucks minor league affiliate that the Key was being held and spoken for while all this was going down.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• ATL also never caught on to hockey either, it was a better move to move them back to a Canadian market that was hungry.

We're talking about 2 unproven markets in SEA & PDX, I would hope business sense would prevail and the larger market would get the shot first like what the MLS did.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• m0ng0 wrote:http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/trail-blazers-were-interested-purchasing-nhl-coyotes

If the Yotes were to be sold who do you think the NHL would rather have? Someone who got screwed by the nba already and has no building other then plans on paper OR one of the richest men in the world that already successfully runs 2 teams and has a beautiful NHL ready building?

This is not meant to be a slight on you folks in seattle, but its not rocket science.

Well according to that logic, the NBA would have approved the sale of the kings to Chris Hanson and Seattle too. Things always are not as cut and dried as it seems, especially when it comes to sports leagues and their monopoly's!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• So a guy who lives in graham is putting down Portland?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm not putting it down, young lady.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Portland is a good Market, however it's not Seattle
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I don't see why both couldn't have a team.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:I don't see why both couldn't have a team.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is what the league is planning. In fact I remember hearing such from Betman on occasion. The NW is the last hole in the map and imagine the rivalry with 3 teams up here.

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• I told my wife that if she didn't give me a BJ, I was moving to Seattle.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! We bickered about for a bit, but at the last second she gave me an amazing hummer !
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:my point was the nhl does not care about media market size per se.

I dare say the media market for NHL in Winnepeg is about that of Atlanta, regardless of actual city size. NHL in the Sun Belt sucks.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * Natural Rubbing Action *

• Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• so in light of recent events what is the status of the Seattle arena? Not trying to be a jerk honest question.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Still a go for all we know
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Some Seattle content in the middle. Seattle is the first choice as we all have been suspecting. http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Another trickle of info. There was another article last week, can't remember where I read it, said any potential expansion team along with the league need at least a year of lead time and that there may be news as soon as next fall for teams to be added 2015-16. I think where there is smoke...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438680

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• I hope this happens because it will give me something to follow after football season. I can take them being terrible for a few years before they become contenders.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information