ATTN NHL Fans: Coyotes to Seattle is Plan B?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Soooo when will the Panthers be available?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Sounds like a suicide deal for either, 2028 for the Coyotes? can they even survive that? I mean after 5 years they can opted out, but that screws over the city.

Goodness!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• lol I truely hope for you NHL Fanatics this happens, hell even I want to try NHL hockey out to see what it be like!

Plus having the NHL would give me a great idea on things with the NBA.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Looks like a deal is gonna get done, with the stadium being in westgate a lot of the business are pushing hard, and the attorneys are in lobby talking.
    jpetty38
    NET Bench Warmer

• Deal is passed, 4-3. What a train wreck that was. See you in five years, Coyotes!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I watched all 4 hours of that council meeting. That city is screwed. It elects people with no public speaking or apparently even basic English skills, they are mortgaging their future for projected... I'm not even sure project what they are projecting 6m + loss for 5 years, they say the payoff is in 20 year? What in the world is going on. Sad stupid little city, gives America a bad name.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Well, that sucks.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I don't see why anyone would ever give us a team when they can keep using us like this.

Note to professional sports teams: If you want ANYTHING just threaten to move to Seattle and the city wallets open right up! even if police and fire and teachers are being laid off.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• normally I'd say I want a team in Seattle, but I want the Coyotes to stay here in Phoenix. Westgate is the best place to go on the weekends around here.
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• Msfann wrote:police and fire and teachers are being laid off.

That is what is sooooooo baffling. I don't want to steal anybodies team away, but I just can't understand how irresponsible these cities are to keep a failing business at their tax payers expense. If I were a resident of Sacramento or Glendale I would be livid. More so than the tax payers that paid gor Safeco.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• TheRealDTM wrote:I watched all 4 hours of that council meeting. That city is screwed. It elects people with no public speaking or apparently even basic English skills, they are mortgaging their future for projected... I'm not even sure project what they are projecting 6m + loss for 5 years, they say the payoff is in 20 year? What in the world is going on. Sad stupid little city, gives America a bad name.

I watched the whole thing unfold via Twitter, and some of the stuff I was seeing was completely baffling. That's exactly what I took from it - that no matter the outcome of the team, that city's public officials have worse leadership and decision-making skills than Wile E. Coyote. It was seriously like watching a train wreck happen over and over again in slow motion.

:shock:
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Reading an article on an Arizona news site, first two comments.

Paul Welch · Top Commenter · Phoenix, Arizona
    Great news. More than four years of this mess is OVER!

Um Paul, its just postpones 5 years, that out-clause will be used.

Then the response:

Trevor Beatty · Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Now we can get on with the next 5 yrs of heavy financial losses till the $50 mil out clause kicks in, Quebec has their arena completed or Seattle has their NBA situation settled and then the team can pull up stakes and re-locate. This is a stop-gap measure for the NHL to unload the team to a smoke and mirrors third party, who will "run" the team, while Glendale funds 2/3's of the losses, giving the re-location cities time to get their ducks in a row and thenl the magic $50 mil in losses appear triggering the out clause and they are gone.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I for one look forward to Sacramento and Glendale as being the prime examples as to why more cities are going to be passing their own versions of I-91. What a trainwreck that I just don't feel bad for watching. And yeah, if I was a tax payer, I would be livid for these deals.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• KK84 wrote:As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.

From what I've gathered and heard from people in the know, most don't think about watching hockey anyways.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• Great perspective from a poster on another site

SDSmith wrote:
    I rode the Kings rollercoaster, and to a smaller degree the Coyotes rollercoaster too. What I learned is, I woke-up today in my beautiful city (born here too) and have two great deep pocket ownership groups to look forward too. The Sacto and Glendale folks are looking at tax bills, parking fees, surcharges, leveraged owners, and they awoke in Glendale and Sacto.

I’ll await the return of the green & gold, and the guys on ice. Patience. Ok, I’ll wait for the better deal. My wallet will be buying tickets, jerseys and beer—not parking surcharges …
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• JOz56 wrote:
    KK84 wrote:As much as I hated I-91, and as much as I cried when the sonics were stolen, looking back now it's far better than the alternative. Imagine being a citizen of Glendale watching your house burn down because the fire department can't afford gas. I bet you wouldn't be thinking about watching hockey.

From what I've gathered and heard from people in the know, most don't think about watching hockey anyways.

That's strange, as most of the people I've worked with at 2 different places are hockey fans... people talk more about hockey here than the dbacks
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• Everybody knew Portland was in the conversation and really were in a better situation to get the team then Seattle was, but I think Vulcan braintrust saw the writing on the wall no sense making a big push when everybody knew the yotes were going nowhere.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Paul Allen has the money and has shown he will spend it, the NHL would be foolish not to listen to what he has to offer.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Ready for plan B again? League to take over NJ Devils with no plans for relocation... something sounds familliar. Altgou this time the owner can't pay for his brand new building despite pretty good attendance. I think there are a few teams out there in trouble that the league is keeping quiet about. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429396
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Do they like to "park" in New Jersey? If so we have no chance!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seattle wasn't even plan B, Paul Allen was ready to bring the team to Portland if it fell through with Phx, but he didn't want to be used like Seattle so they stayed quit in the media. Expect he and his group will watch this situation as well.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:Seattle wasn't even plan B, Paul Allen was ready to bring the team to Portland if it fell through with Phx, but he didn't want to be used like Seattle so they stayed quit in the media. Expect he and his group will watch this situation as well.

I get this feeling also.

Allen's group: is the team for sale? Yes? We'll take it. 8)
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I'd love confirmation that Portland was truly Plan B. The NHL wants Seattle far more. Allen has the money, but when it comes to a league decision like the movement of a team they own or expansion, they're going to go after Seattle and locking down its building plan well before they make a move to Portland.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:I'd love confirmation that Portland was truly Plan B. The NHL wants Seattle far more. Allen has the money, but when it comes to a league decision like the movement of a team they own or expansion, they're going to go after Seattle and locking down its building plan well before they make a move to Portland.

Portland has been on the radar for at least the last 12 years. They where very close to getting the Penguins before Lemeuix saved them from BK.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• PDX wants to be big league so bad.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/trail- ... hl-coyotes

If the Yotes were to be sold who do you think the NHL would rather have? Someone who got screwed by the nba already and has no building other then plans on paper OR one of the richest men in the world that already successfully runs 2 teams and has a beautiful NHL ready building?

This is not meant to be a slight on you folks in seattle, but its not rocket science.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• also this little nugget was gleaned from the Devils article posted "The team will not relocate, the source said, adding that Vanberbeek will retain a minority ownership with the Devils."
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• In a few months time the Seattle arena will be pretty much shovel ready. The NHL can have flirted with PDX for a hundred years for all I care, if the Seattle building gets locked down one way or another, there's no competition between the two markets.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:In a few months time the Seattle arena will be pretty much shovel ready. The NHL can have flirted with PDX for a hundred years for all I care, if the Seattle building gets locked down one way or another, there's no competition between the two markets.

And no ownership group will bring a fraction of what Paul Allen can bring to the table.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:In a few months time the Seattle arena will be pretty much shovel ready. The NHL can have flirted with PDX for a hundred years for all I care, if the Seattle building gets locked down one way or another, there's no competition between the two markets.

And no ownership group will bring a fraction of what Paul Allen can bring to the table.

That'll work to your advantage when he's buying from a selling owner, but when it's an NHL decision that the commissioner has his hands all over, the league will pick Seattle. They're going to want the significantly better market.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• oh really then why did the Atlanta Thrashers go to the HUGE metropolis of Winnepeg?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• The then owner of he Thrasher sold the team to Winnepeg investors, the Coyotes were owned by the NHL, NHL also told the Canucks minor league affiliate that the Key was being held and spoken for while all this was going down.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• ATL also never caught on to hockey either, it was a better move to move them back to a Canadian market that was hungry.

We're talking about 2 unproven markets in SEA & PDX, I would hope business sense would prevail and the larger market would get the shot first like what the MLS did.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• m0ng0 wrote:http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/trail-blazers-were-interested-purchasing-nhl-coyotes

If the Yotes were to be sold who do you think the NHL would rather have? Someone who got screwed by the nba already and has no building other then plans on paper OR one of the richest men in the world that already successfully runs 2 teams and has a beautiful NHL ready building?

This is not meant to be a slight on you folks in seattle, but its not rocket science.

Well according to that logic, the NBA would have approved the sale of the kings to Chris Hanson and Seattle too. Things always are not as cut and dried as it seems, especially when it comes to sports leagues and their monopoly's!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• So a guy who lives in graham is putting down Portland?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm not putting it down, young lady.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Portland is a good Market, however it's not Seattle
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I don't see why both couldn't have a team.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:I don't see why both couldn't have a team.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is what the league is planning. In fact I remember hearing such from Betman on occasion. The NW is the last hole in the map and imagine the rivalry with 3 teams up here.

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• I told my wife that if she didn't give me a BJ, I was moving to Seattle.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! We bickered about for a bit, but at the last second she gave me an amazing hummer !
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:my point was the nhl does not care about media market size per se.

I dare say the media market for NHL in Winnepeg is about that of Atlanta, regardless of actual city size. NHL in the Sun Belt sucks.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• so in light of recent events what is the status of the Seattle arena? Not trying to be a jerk honest question.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Still a go for all we know
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Some Seattle content in the middle. Seattle is the first choice as we all have been suspecting. http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Another trickle of info. There was another article last week, can't remember where I read it, said any potential expansion team along with the league need at least a year of lead time and that there may be news as soon as next fall for teams to be added 2015-16. I think where there is smoke...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438680

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information