Interesting article on the comparison James/Jordan

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:
    In what area is he better than Jordan? LeBron isn't even close to Jordan on any level.

Rebounding, passing, he can guard all 5 positions on defense. Jordan was never asked to guard opposing team's point guard like Tony Parker.

We argue about this because it's fun! Take that Radish.

I grew up in the 80's / 90's Renaissance of the NBA, so I have much, much love for all things basketball. I never thought I'd see a player better than Jordan but I think it's clear that that player is here - he just isn't a "sequel" to Jordan like we want him to be (and as we wanted Kobe to be before that). MJ was as graceful of an athlete as we'll ever see and I think that THIS is the biggest reason that most MJ fans, and people my age and older tend to think that MJ was better - he simply looked better doing it. I know that seems to simple, and it seems to not give Jordan enough credit - but think about how many incredible, iconic "posterizing" moments MJ had...Lebron? With Lebron, almost every dunk looks the same. That block in the Finals was great, but that wouldn't crack Michael's top 10, or maybe even top 20 most memorable, jaw dropping, visually exhilarating moments.

My buddy and I were talking about this the other day. I don't think even the BIGGEST Jordan fan could argue that MJ was better at basketball than Lebron James, as long as they looked at it objectively.

About the only thing that MJ did better than Lebron is shoot the ball, but in the last year James jump shooting has vastly improved, and I see no reason why that wont continue.

Lebron on the other hand is CLEARLY better at many aspects of the game than MJ. As ManU said, he passes the ball better and he rebounds the ball LIKE A MAN. Some of Lebron's advantages are born from the fact that he was afforded physical gifts that Jordan was not (wow, I didn't think I'd ever say / write that). He's 6'8" 300lbs. (I know they list him at 275, I promise he's pushing 3 bills, of muscle mass). He can defend 4 positions, 5 with the death of the traditional center.
    But I will say it's easy to forget that Jordan was a tenacious defender, something he somehow doesn't get enough credit for despite being All NBA Defense 9 times, and even winning Defensive Player of the Year (something Lebron is yet to do, BTW). But if you think Jordan could defend with the versatility of Lebron you're delusional.

ALL THAT BEING SAID - I don't think their is ANY question that Michael Jordan is 10 times the competitor that Lebron is, and all the good and bad that comes with it. Maybe some day Lebron will even have more titles than MJ, but Jordan never disappeared mysteriously in games, especially big games. Lebron doesn't manufacture beefs, publicly eviscerate teammates, or have a huge gambling problem (that we know of). And hopefully he won't invite someone who took his spot on a HS and /or AAU team to his HoF induction just to put them down.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

• Strangely enough, I think a very similar situation exists in the tennis world (most of you probably don't give $h*& about that, though). Pete Sampras is my favorite tennis player of all time, and I never thought I'd see a player better, yet I think it's clear, much to my dismay that Federer is just that (but I like to think in his prime, Pete would smoke him). Anyway, despite all his brilliance, Federer just isn't as fun to watch as Pete. Federer is the better athlete, and probably the better player but Sampras's serve and volley style was SO graceful LOOKING that I just can't watch Federer and enjoy it in the same way.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

• Lebron, kobe, Wilt, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J all deserve their props no doubt..

but there's only one GOAT and his name is Michael Jordan.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:Lebron, kobe, Wilt, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J all deserve their props no doubt..

but there's only one GOAT and his name is Michael Jordan.

Care to explain why you think so?
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

• Other than his obvious physical attributes, leadership and contribution to the game? When Lebron or Kobe get their teams to 6 titles, we can debate this, until then it's not a debatable in my opinion
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information