Mayweather v Alvarez

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, well, well Mayweather took a challenging fight. I'm pretty stoked for this one. Canelo's size gives him a shot, albeit a small shot.

This is great for boxing…

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Can't wait for this one. Alvarez will probably outweigh Mayweather by 15+ pounds on fight night. Absolutely great for boxing indeed. Guessing Mayweather puts on a boxing clinic, but Alvarez certainly has a chance.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
We saw a similar fight when Sergio purposefully bloodied Chavez Jr, for the sake of bloodying him. Then in the 12th, Jr's weight finally game him a shot.

Sergio's only slightly less than Mayweather. But, Alvarez is WAY better than Chavez Jr. This is an actual risk for Mayweather.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This isn't a risk for Mayweather. He's one of the greatest actual boxers in the history of boxing. But, Alvarez is better than Guerrero.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2gog1mlz said:
This isn't a risk for Mayweather. He's one of the greatest actual boxers in the history of boxing. But, Alvarez is better than Guerrero.

In respect to Mayweather's usual choice in opponents and the weight disparity, yes, its a risk.

Subzero717

Reaction score
pehawk":ez8fyidj said:
SonicHawk":ez8fyidj said:

In respect to Mayweather's usual choice in opponents and the weight disparity, yes, its a risk.

This.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Better than his usual choice of opponents, but I don't give Canelo much of a chance. I've never been sold on the guy. He just seems so vulnerable with a decent fighter with some speed. I remember seeing him have a hard time with Miguel Cotto's bro, Jose Miguel. It is the biggest fight he could have taken at this moment though, so kudos to Mayweather on that.

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2v5x26f7 said:
Better than his usual choice of opponents, but I don't give Canelo much of a chance. I've never been sold on the guy. He just seems so vulnerable with a decent fighter with some speed. I remember seeing him have a hard time with Miguel Cotto's bro, Jose Miguel. It is the biggest fight he could have taken at this moment though, so kudos to Mayweather on that.

I feel the same way about almost all the young fighters. Chavez, Canelo, Diaz before he was beat.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2yz1mumj said:
-The Glove-":2yz1mumj said:

I feel the same way about almost all the young fighters. Chavez, Canelo, Diaz before he was beat.
A young guy Ive had my eye on since he was 17 is Jose Benavidez Jr. Met him in Dallas before the Pac-Clottey fight. Funny thing was right before that in the hotel room, I was showing my friends YouTube highlights of him.

Shaz

Reaction score
Alvarez is going to be eaten alive. His boxing skills are superb but his stamina is very suspect and he's prone to making mental mistakes in fights, which of course is something Mayweather is the best at exploiting

UD for PBF

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

And those arm punches they throw? Lets get them in a ring with a real puncher and see how long they last.

:les:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
The Radish":c4c7ag8l said:
I'm just delighted to see "real" fighting. This cage crap is so phoney and lacking in skills its boring to watch.

And those arm punches they throw? Lets get them in a ring with a real puncher and see how long they last.

It's funny when I see people dog MMA. Get into an octagon and see how unskilled those guys are. Boxing is superior in every way, but MMA is exciting to watch as well (for the most part).

Happy

Reaction score
The Radish":u7jbe9wu said:

Actually that's been done. Several times. Last time was randy coture vs james toney. Short fight. Mma fighters most always win those deals because boxers are one dimensional.

The striking in mma is different because the fighter has to be prepared to defend a much wider variety of attacks than a boxer. Not better or worse just different.

You're wayyyyyy out in left field on this one les.

The Radish

Reaction score
sadhappy":3bdp953l said:
The Radish":3bdp953l said:

Actually that's been done. Several times. Last time was randy coture vs james toney. Short fight. Mma fighters most always win those deals because boxers are one dimensional.

The striking in mma is different because the fighter has to be prepared to defend a much wider variety of attacks than a boxer. Not better or worse just different.

We will have to agree to disagree. If they really want to have so called "cage fighting" then why not allow anything goes and allow full contact. That way you perhaps could see some planning.

To me its just two maulers that must have majored in scrums all their lives.

That's what makes the world go around I guess. and btw I have been a cage fight live and that's how I developed my opinion. I just don't see it but am willing to let you see it how you want.

Happy

Reaction score
The Radish":2jfw23wd said:
sadhappy":2jfw23wd said:
The Radish":2jfw23wd said:

We will have to agree to disagree. If they really want to have so called "cage fighting" then why not allow anything goes and allow full contact. That way you perhaps could see some planning.

That's what makes the world go around I guess. and btw I have been a cage fight live and that's how I developed my opinion. I just don't see it but am willing to let you see it how you want.

1. Because anything goes is illegal. That's actually how it started out, but that caused..problems. Probably for the best there are some rules, safety of the fighters and all that.

2. Ju jitsu is hardly two guys randomly wrestle humping each other.

3. your opinion is based on pretty limited exposure, to say the least.

Honestly the history of the UFC and how it all came about and how it evolved is pretty fascinating stuff. The original idea was to take world class practitioners from all the major fighting disciplines, put them in a tournament, and see which fighting style was the best. And, as it turns out, this little tiny dude in a GI by the name of Royce Gracie used ju jitsu to defeat all of his opponents and win the UFC 1 title, a no holds barred competition with no weight classes.

I'll leave it at that. up to you if want to to explore it further or just hold to your opinion.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
sadhappy":2u5wkwlk said:
The Radish":2u5wkwlk said:
sadhappy":2u5wkwlk said:
The Radish said:

1. Because anything goes is illegal. That's actually how it started out, but that caused..problems. Probably for the best there are some rules, safety of the fighters and all that.

2. Ju jitsu is hardly two guys randomly wrestle humping each other.

3. your opinion is based on pretty limited exposure, to say the least.

Honestly the history of the UFC and how it all came about and how it evolved is pretty fascinating stuff. The original idea was to take world class practitioners from all the major fighting disciplines, put them in a tournament, and see which fighting style was the best. And, as it turns out, this little tiny dude in a GI by the name of Royce Gracie used ju jitsu to defeat all of his opponents and win the UFC 1 title, a no holds barred competition with no weight classes.

I'll leave it at that. up to you if want to to explore it further or just hold to your opinion.

I've heard from too many people that ju jitsu is the hardest form of combat they've trained in. That's enough to make me respect true MMA/ju jitsu practitioners.

Subzero717

Reaction score
sadhappy":2z80ycy6 said:
The Radish":2z80ycy6 said:

Whoa whoa. You just went with the Toney/Couture fight for your argument. Tisk tisk. Weak sauce.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
-The Glove-":i3qorce3 said:

I worked in a video store when the first UFC tape came out on the market and I was psyched for it to be good. Instead of "Bloodsport: Real Life Edition" I got 350 lb. behemoths rolling around on the ground with little guys with barely a punch thrown or a kick landed.

Never really been into UFC since.

Shaz

Reaction score
The Radish":17v5ow2i said:

You have no idea on what you're talking about and honestly you should let the people that know real fighting and actually have done it speak about what's real or not instead of someone that decides to spew their ignorance about a subject they are foreign to

The Radish

Reaction score
Shaz":wb995sm9 said:
The Radish":wb995sm9 said:

You have no idea on what you're talking about and honestly you should let the people that know real fighting and actually have done it speak about what's real or not instead of someone that decides to spew their ignorance about a subject they are foreign to

Really? Well a long time boxing fan and I can tell you merely by watching that the cage fighters throw mostly arm punches because they are always trying get set up to throw leg punchs.

I've been watching boxing long before Sugar Ray Leonard was a gleam in his Father's eye and Cassisus Clay was an Olympic hopeful. So yes I think I probably know a bit about the subject.

How about you?

:roll: