Montero to AAA

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners ... called-up/

Montero's paralyzed-from-the-waist-down athletic style makes him limited as to playing first, but they're gonna try it in AAA. Looks like his future will probably be as a DH and part-time catcher. Sucre sounds interesting. Obviously they're just biding time until Zunino comes up, but he's still got some stuff to work out. I don't want to rush Zunino. Do you?

Msfann

Reaction score
It's a start and I'm actually surprised that they finally sent him down. But at the same time his playing time has gone way down lately. He can't hit, catch, throw runners out or run.

Now do the same thing with Ackley, his 1 hot streak a year is already over. They dont need to give up on him yet but send him own to work on things with less pressure on him.

Smoak has been doing a bit better lately so let's hope he can keep it up.

Largent80

Reaction score
Montero was supposed to be the shizzot, and he is the latter. All of a sudden, a supposed strength is a weakness.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
He's only 23, though, so I think you give him a few more years. God, if he only could catch JUST A LITTLE. Ackley and Smoak - those dudes are older - I think it's pretty much show or go.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I refused to believe that he could not play catcher, until this year when I've seen base stealing happen at will while he is behind the plate.

Good luck Jesus.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This was a good call. He needed to be sent down to AAA to work on his swing, he's just getting himself out in the majors and that can't happen.

Ackley on the other hand should NOT be sent down to AAA. His struggles are much different than Montero's. Not everyone young-ish player that is struggling should be optioned.

I would like to see Triunfel get promoted and take Andino's spot. I think Carlos should be playing SS on the Ms at least 4+ times a week.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Only Montero? Half the team should be in Triple AAA. You could probably include Smoak and Ackley with Montero. For pitchers Maurer should be sent down. Harang should be waived. Don't understand why he's still on the team.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I guess that an argument can be made that Montero needs AAA to figure out how to play first base and hit at the same time, but Ackley definitely could use some time in Tacoma in my opinion. He's just not swinging at anything over the outside half of the plate. He needs some confidence in tattooing AAA pitching over that part of the plate.

Of course, not being a batting coach, I have no clue at all if they can just straighten him out in the majors or not.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawkfan68":kg9rg66h said:
Only Montero? Half the team should be in Triple AAA. You could probably include Smoak and Ackley with Montero. For pitchers Maurer should be sent down. Harang should be waived. Don't understand why he's still on the team.
Why should Smoak be sent down?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm glad Mr "Wall Single" has been sent down! He is irritating as hell to watch!

Shaz

Reaction score
The Mariners as a whole are embarrassing to watch

No heart, no desire, no character, nothing.

Blow this team up and start over

Hawker

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":23vn7gs2 said:
Shaz":23vn7gs2 said:
The Mariners as a whole are embarrassing to watch

No heart, no desire, no character, nothing.

Blow this team up and start over
Blow the top up first i.e. Armstrong.

Exactly. We've had talent on the field with bad results for about 10 years now. Replacing young talent with more young prospective talent only gets you so far. We're living proof of that.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jack Z is the guy blowing all these calls. I don't get the fetish with firing Armsrong and the other guy who's name I can't remember--it reminds me of the pointless "fire Wally" bs. Jack Z should be fired.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2sgjnlg3 said:
Jack Z is the guy blowing all these calls. I don't get the fetish with firing Armsrong and the other guy who's name I can't remember--it reminds me of the pointless "fire Wally" bs. Jack Z should be fired.
Who hired Z and all of the other bozo GM's and managers, Lincoln and Armstrong. As long as these 2 clowns are running the Mariners circus they are going to be a piss poor product! Sheet rolls down hill!

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Wedgie's alright--he just doesn't have anything to work with. It's inexplicable what happens to these guys when they come up. I'm almost afraid to see Zunino come up. These young players hit great in AZ, then crap the bed in the pea soup Safeco atmosphere.