Thunder Lose a Heartbreaker

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Thunder Lose a Heartbreaker
Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm
  • This article is so beautiful, it makes me want to cry:
    When Did The Thunder Get So Depressing?

The Money Quotes:
    Even bigger picture? This team left Seattle and set off a chain reaction in two cities that still isn't resolved. We overlooked it because they turned into the most exciting, addictive roster in the NBA. Since then, the owner who moved them has refused to pay the luxury tax because he doesn't want to risk profits, even as his team's value has almost certainly appreciated by hundreds of millions of dollars. And so a team that seemed too good to be true 12 months ago has been stripped to its bare essentials.
    Biggest picture? Last year, the Thunder were the team you could point to if you wanted to make someone fall in love with the NBA.

This year, the Thunder turned into a team that embodies everything that should make someone cynical about loving the NBA.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 pm
  • vedthree wrote:This article is so beautiful, it makes me want to cry:
    When Did The Thunder Get So Depressing?

The Money Quotes:
    Even bigger picture? This team left Seattle and set off a chain reaction in two cities that still isn't resolved. We overlooked it because they turned into the most exciting, addictive roster in the NBA. Since then, the owner who moved them has refused to pay the luxury tax because he doesn't want to risk profits, even as his team's value has almost certainly appreciated by hundreds of millions of dollars. And so a team that seemed too good to be true 12 months ago has been stripped to its bare essentials.
    Biggest picture? Last year, the Thunder were the team you could point to if you wanted to make someone fall in love with the NBA.

This year, the Thunder turned into a team that embodies everything that should make someone cynical about loving the NBA.

That is truly an amazing thing. I was worried they had a strong owner, coach and gm. It seems they have none of them. Buoyed by Durant and Westbrook this team has SAC/NO/MIL in it's future.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 pm
  • They'll be right back in title contention next season.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:They'll be right back in title contention next season.

Correct. That article is mostly opinion, with very little fact.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:58 pm
  • Don't forget that the Thunder also own Toronto's lottery pick this year. As well as 2 more future first round picks I believe from the Harden trade.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm
  • Let's hope they stick to "Their" legacy and draft a couple guys like Mohammed Sene and Johan Petro.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:03 pm
  • Man, it was exciting to be a Sonics fan in the 90's. We had that core of Kemp & Peyton, future HOF'ers. Every piece surrounding them was perfect. Played their own unique style of ball. They had some growing pains in the playoffs, but then put together that great run into the Finals.Tough draw - having to face the the best player in the game and all. That loss hurt ... but at least we knew we'd be back. Everything was clicking with that team, and their window HAD to be open for at least a few more seasons.

Of course, things just crumbled away. Team gambled on some big stiffs and got stuck with some horrible contracts. Ownership started caring more about the bottom line. Nickel & Dimed the role players at contract time and tried to replace them with cheaper versions. A lot of those guys were talented, but just couldn't recapture that same chemistry the original group had. Eventually the core imploded and the window slammed shut before we even realized it.

But yeah ... that's such a crazy, improbable scenario. I mean, there's no way that could happen to another team, right? :roll:
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 pm
  • vedthree wrote:Man, it was exciting to be a Sonics fan in the 90's. We had that core of Kemp & Peyton, future HOF'ers. Every piece surrounding them was perfect. Played their own unique style of ball. They had some growing pains in the playoffs, but then put together that great run into the Finals.Tough draw - having to face the the best player in the game and all. That loss hurt ... but at least we knew we'd be back. Everything was clicking with that team, and their window HAD to be open for at least a few more seasons.

Of course, things just crumbled away. Team gambled on some big stiffs and got stuck with some horrible contracts. Ownership started caring more about the bottom line. Nickel & Dimed the role players at contract time and tried to replace them with cheaper versions. A lot of those guys were talented, but just couldn't recapture that same chemistry the original group had. Eventually the core imploded and the window slammed shut before we even realized it.

But yeah ... that's such a crazy, improbable scenario. I mean, there's no way that could happen to another team, right? :roll:

Who's saying it couldn't happen? Stop being a muppet.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm
  • The Thunder and their "fans" are a joke. Five years from now when this team falls apart and they are fighting for an 8th seed or a lottery pick, their arena will be half full and none of the "fans" will care.

LOL@The Blunder
    McG
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 12:17 am
  • Lets see how attendence goes when Durant and Westbrook are playing for the Sonics , Boston, or the Lakers.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri May 17, 2013 5:47 am
  • What makes people think Durant wants to leave OKC? He's not a loud super star type like Lebron, Melo, or Kobe.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri May 17, 2013 5:49 am
  • Throwdown wrote:What makes people think Durant wants to leave OKC? He's not a loud super star type like Lebron, Melo, or Kobe.

Naw, let 'em have it man.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 am
  • Throwdown wrote:What makes people think Durant wants to leave OKC? He's not a loud super star type like Lebron, Melo, or Kobe.

Because he has to live in OKC if he stays...
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Fri May 17, 2013 9:12 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:What makes people think Durant wants to leave OKC? He's not a loud super star type like Lebron, Melo, or Kobe.

Because he has to live in OKC if he stays...

I mean, that's actually a good point. i hate the city of OKC.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 am
  • I understand that you are a thunder fan peaches, but coming into this thread to argue seems kinda silly and pointless. you can't really expect Sonics fans to feel the same way as you do can you? Its just one of those threads that you might want to steer clear of.

Don't forget that some of us felt bad for yourself and some of the other thunder fans last year when the thunder was knocked out of the finals while we were also happy to see them lose.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 am

If we get a team I would put money that he comes to Seattle
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am

Fri May 17, 2013 11:35 am
  • Msfann wrote:I understand that you are a thunder fan peaches, but coming into this thread to argue seems kinda silly and pointless. you can't really expect Sonics fans to feel the same way as you do can you? Its just one of those threads that you might want to steer clear of.

Don't forget that some of us felt bad for yourself and some of the other thunder fans last year when the thunder was knocked out of the finals while we were also happy to see them lose.

Just clearing up a few misconceptions is all.

Hawkfan77, you're dreaming, my friend.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 am
  • Well, Memphis has a really damn strong defense and I hope they face off with the Heat in the finals. Probably a long shot from here on out but I like the way they are built and play.

If Seattle gets another team, I want one built like Memphis that plays defense first.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 11:43 am
  • 12th_Bob wrote:Well, Memphis has a really damn strong defense and I hope they face off with the Heat in the finals. Probably a long shot from here on out but I like the way they are built and play.

If Seattle gets another team, I want one built like Memphis that plays defense first.

I actually REALLY like memphis, but I thing the Spurs will roll them in 5. Spurs are just so well-coached, and run that offense to perfection.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 17, 2013 12:13 pm
  • I really don't have a feel for the Western Finals, the Spurs have been clicking and are vets but they started the play-offs a little busted up but if the big three starts are clicking they are tough to beat. I imagine this will be a gritty series though but Spurs are probably taking the first game. Memphis seems to defend the old pick and roll really well, going to be interesting.

I don't think I'd take either over the Heat right now but we'll see.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Hey! Let's get this thread back on track and continue bashing the okc blunder.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:What makes people think Durant wants to leave OKC? He's not a loud super star type like Lebron, Melo, or Kobe.

He wants to win championships. He doesn't want to start over on an expansion team. I'd give you about a 0.05% chance of winning that bet.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Yeah, those thinking Durant comes here if Seattle gets an expansion team are just doing wishful thinking. It sounds like a romantic and karma type move. It isn't going to happen.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri May 17, 2013 12:44 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    vedthree wrote:

Muppet? What happened to attack the post not the poster? Just because you don't like the scenario he lays doesn't mean you can disparage the guy outside the Shack.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri May 17, 2013 12:54 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    vedthree wrote:

Muppet? What happened to attack the post not the poster? Just because you don't like the scenario he lays doesn't mean you can disparage the guy outside the Shack.

Fair do's, I apologize. Didn't mean to call names. I took issue with his implication that me or any other poster was saying that what happened to Seattle couldn't happen to OKC.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm
    Fair do's, I apologize. Didn't mean to call names. I took issue with his implication that me or any other poster was saying that what happened to Seattle couldn't happen to OKC.

I understand your frustration with us Sonics fans and would imagine it sucks to hear your situation mocked. Same with Kings fans. Time is the only thing that I see that is going to allow the emotions to subside (that and all our deaths).
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

I understand your frustration with us Sonics fans and would imagine it sucks to hear your situation mocked. Same with Kings fans. Time is the only thing that I see that is going to allow the emotions to subside (that and all our deaths).

No, not Death, epitaph on Tomb Stone, "Will be waiting for you here in Hell Bennett,Schultz and Stern"

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:

He wants to win championships. He doesn't want to start over on an expansion team. I'd give you about a 0.05% chance of winning that bet.

It's not as simple as "he would never play for an expansion team"
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm
  • go spurs!
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

Mon May 20, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:[quote="Throwdown"]What makes people think Durant wants to leave OKC? He's not a loud super star type like Lebron, Melo, or Kobe.

It's not as simple as "he would never play for an expansion team"[/quote]

That's a pipe dream that you wet dream about that will never happen. Its like saying he doesn't like OKC. He chose to go to school in Texas. Obviously he isnt concerned with beaches and palm trees. Desert and sage brush are fine with him.

I'll bet a months pay on that. Throw in pensions while we are at it.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon May 20, 2013 3:00 pm
  • I'm gonna let Hawkfan continue his delusion. KD has never once given any indication that he doesn't love it in OKC. He's not the type to go seeking the spotlight or clubbing it up or being among the rich and famous. He loves the low-key feel he gets down there. I'll bet an entire year's salary that if/when Seattle gets a team, either expansion or otherwise, he doesn't go there, at least not while he's in his prime.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    vedthree wrote:

Well to be fair vedthree does use a Muppet as his avatar.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 pm
  • Honestly I wouldn't want him back. That's just me though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:

This is true Papaki.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 am
  • drdiags wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

This is true Papaki.

I'll take that as an apology, Doc!!!!!
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 am
    drdiags wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

This is true Papaki.

I'll take that as an apology, Doc!!!!!

Anytime. Glad to see you are still around. Hope you missed out on the major damage in OKC. Now back to bashing the Thunder ... hee hee.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue May 21, 2013 9:53 am
  • LOL, bash away.

I did miss the major damage, thankfully.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:LOL, bash away.

I did miss the major damage, thankfully.

Glad to see you here. F the thunder. :-)
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:That's a pipe dream that you wet dream about that will never happen. Its like saying he doesn't like OKC. He chose to go to school in Texas. Obviously he isnt concerned with beaches and palm trees. Desert and sage brush are fine with him.

I'll bet a months pay on that. Throw in pensions while we are at it.

You don't have to believe me. But I'm confident in saying that Durant would love to come back to Seattle and that's I'll say on the subject. And it has nothing to do with me "wet dreaming about" or hoping...
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information