UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 am
  • The draw has been made and here's the results:

    Manchester United vs Real Madrid
    Barcelona vs AC Milan
    Juventus vs Celtic
    Bayern Munich vs Arsenal
    Borussia Dotmund vs Shakhtar Donetsk
    Malaga vs Porto
    Schalke vs Galatasaray
    PSG vs Valencia
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 am
  • Has there ever been a season with no English teams in the last 8. It looks like there won't be this year.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1290
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:52 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Has there ever been a season with no English teams in the last 8. It looks like there won't be this year.


    Arsenal has the tougher draw in my opinion. I just dont see them having the depth to play two ties with a very strong Bayern squad. I honestly see United getting by Real. They havent shown any consistent quality this season, while United has played far better than expectations (of late) and seem to be getting comfortable with RvP and Kagawa in the squad.

    Manchester United vs Real Madrid (United)
    Barcelona vs AC Milan (Barca)
    Juventus vs Celtic (Juve)
    Bayern Munich vs Arsenal (Bayern)
    Borussia Dotmund vs Shakhtar Donetsk (Dortmund)
    Malaga vs Porto (Malaga)
    Schalke vs Galatasaray (Schalke)
    PSG vs Valencia (PSG)

    I am really starting to like the chances of Dortmund and PSG to make deeper runs in the tournament. Would love to see the final 8 look like above (with a Dortmund, PSG, Barca, United final 4?).
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:31 am
  • I don't see United beating Real.

    I think Hawkspur is right, no british teams in the last 8 this year.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:00 pm
  • Manchester United vs Real Madrid
    So many subplots in this matchup. Ronaldo returns to United, Fergie's possible heir vists Old Trafford. This was probably the matchup everyone was hoping for simply because of the subplots and after that, the teams themselves. United's defense is still suspect and we all know what happens when Ronaldo is given even a sliver of time and space. This one is probably fairly even and could go either way in the end.

    Barcelona vs AC Milan
    A rematch of both the Group stage and Elite 8 from last year. The main difference being that there's no Ibrahimovic on Milan. While Milan is a shadow of what they were last year they might have the most intriguing player in El Sharrawry, who has been resposible for most of Milan's success this season. I don't think this will be anywhere near the level of play from last year and Barca should easily get through Milan.

    Juventus vs Celtic
    How easy should it be to write off Celtic with this matchup? It shouldn't considering The Hoops were given less than no chance of even finishing 3rd in the group stage. While Juventus is clearly the better team, you need to remember that Celtic almost took 4 points off of Barca if not for a late late goal in the Nou Camp and if the Celtic-Barca matchup had been in the Knockout stage, they would have gone to extra time and possibly penalties. It'll be a mountain to climb for Celtic if they hope to advance, but it's not impossible and Juve should be cautious otherwise they could be the next giant that The Bhoys slay.

    Bayern Munich vs Arsenal
    I don't see this matchup in the same way as Si. This could be the most competitive tie of the Last 16. And considering Arsenal actually was the third team picked out of the pot, with Barca, PSG and Dortmund still up on the board, it could have been worse for them. While Bayern is clearly the best team out of the Bundesliga right now, and much improved over last year's squad, this is by no means an easy pass for the Bavarians. You have to remember that despite the Gunners roller coaster league form, they've excelled in the Champions League(albeit against significantly lesser opponents than Bayern). Arsenal can push forward if they make the right moves both on and off the field. This matchup has the best potential to go all the way down to the wire.

    Borussia Dortmund vs Shakhtar Donetsk
    This one is equally tough, especially considering Shakhtar came a goal short of actually winning their group which included Juve and Chelsea. Both teams are dark horses, Dortmund less so, and both involve brilliant managers, according to ESPN it's basically the Old Sage(Lucescu) vs the Mad Scientist(Klopp). This matchup may prove to be entertaining and could, just like Man U-Madrid and Bayern-Arsenal, go either way.

    Malaga vs Porto
    This matchup features possibly two players who are future superstars, Isco and James Rodriguez, and both boast bright futures provided they don't lose key players. Malaga was a victim of the same careless spending that City and PSG are somehow pulling off and it cost them some good players, i.e. Santi Cazorla, and Porto is the Portuguese "Arsenal" in some opinion circles. Porto, just like Shakhtar came oh so close to winning their group and as a result may have been given a seriously tough challenge to make it through to the next round.

    Schalke vs Galatasaray
    I think we all can agree that this matchup is gonna be fueled by the passionate fans of both clubs. Galatasaray managed to stumble their way into the Last 16 and could be in for a tough 2 games against a dangerous Schalke side, who've been struggling in the Bundesliga. Both teams have talented and dangerous strikers, Galatasaray has Burak Yilmaz and Schalke has Klaas Jan-Huntelaar(remains to be seen if he'll still be a member of Schalke beyond January). If the matches are boring I'm sure we'll have plenty of entertainment from the fans.

    PSG vs Valencia
    It's essentially Valencia vs Ibrahimovic. PSG has spent ass loads of money to build a team that can compete with the best in Europe, I actually believe they've done a good job too, but they still heavily rely on their Swedish Striker to bail them out of bad predicaments. As for Valencia, they're in the same boat as Schalke and to a lesser extent Arsenal, good performances in the Champions League and struggles demestically failing to string together consecutive victories so far. Valencia's defense needs to step up as well, they've conceded 30 goals in just 25 games overall this year and when you go up against a team where their best player(who is arguably the 3rd, maybe 4th, best player in the world) can score from practically anywhere and anyway, you need to defend really well to have a chance.

    My picks: Real Madrid 4-2, Barcelona 6-1, Juventus 3-3(away goals), Bayern Munich 4-3(extra time needed), Dortmund 5-2, Malaga 2-1, Schalke 3-1, PSG 7-2
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:09 pm
  • If I had to put my own money on the match ups, id go:

    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Dortmund
    Porto?
    Schalke
    PSG

    So give or take most of the favorites I suppose. How Epic would a Bayern v Dortmund matchup be in any of the remaining stages?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 am
  • BVB Dortmund uber alles!! I am not thrilled with the distance of traveling to the ukraine and hopefully they will still be as hot come February.

    I would love to see Celtic pull out the upset over Juventus.
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 100
    Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:40 am
    Location: Chandler, AZ


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:The draw has been made and here's the results:

    Manchester United vs Real Madrid
    Barcelona vs AC Milan
    Juventus vs Celtic
    Bayern Munich vs Arsenal
    Borussia Dotmund vs Shakhtar Donetsk
    Malaga vs Porto
    Schalke vs Galatasaray
    PSG vs Valencia


    I'm happy to see that Barce finally didn't get a cake draw for the final 16. It seems like the last couples years they have had the easiest draws... These are all pretty good matchups that will make for a great start to the knockouts. I WANT to take AC Milan in this matchup, but I think Barce will win aggregate by a couple goals.

    I think United has been playing really well, much more consistent than Real has been performing this season. I take them 5-4 on aggregate. RvP has been proving he is just as, if not more, dangerous with Man U. than he was at Arsenal. However, I don't think it will be a walk in the park. I think Real is one of the best attacking teams when they're on, and I don't see Man U's defense being as solid as it has been in the past.

    I don't follow a lot outside of the BPL. I know Bayern has been in great form and is crushing the Bundesliga right now. They are going to steamroll Arsenal's young, soft team. Where are they in the BPL right now? 7th?

    Juve v. Celtic will be interesting. I think a lot of people are curious about which Celtic team will show up. The team that can pull out solid defensive showings and play a little smash and grab, or the team that will rollover against equal/superior opposition? They proved that they can do SOMETHING against Barce, but was it a fluke? They did get out of the group stages... I take Juve by one goal on aggregate.

    Beyond this, I can only speculate on the other teams involved. PSG is becoming a powerhouse and has, in my opinion, one of the best coaches in the world in Carlo Ancelotti. I think each of the other ties should be entertaining.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1087
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 pm
  • So, if we all had to put all our own money on one team regardless of the draw to take it all, who ya got? I'd probably take Bayern, but be tempted by Madrid.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:56 pm
  • I'd probably take Dortmund to make the final depending on the Elite 8 draw. Barca and PSG would be the easy picks for it all.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:I'd probably take Dortmund to make the final depending on the Elite 8 draw. Barca and PSG would be the easy picks for it all.


    While Dortmund is my favorite team outside of Liverpool, I don't think that they are favorites. They might surprise, but id take 2 or 3 of the teams left over them easily.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:I'd probably take Dortmund to make the final depending on the Elite 8 draw. Barca and PSG would be the easy picks for it all.


    While Dortmund is my favorite team outside of Liverpool, I don't think that they are favorites. They might surprise, but id take 2 or 3 of the teams left over them easily.


    I know Dortmund are longshots, but if they get through and get a favorable draw, they can do it.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 am
  • I want the 3 German clubs to go as far as possible but in the end, there can only be one!!

    BVB Dortmund uber alles!! :thirishdrinkers: :0190l:
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 100
    Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:40 am
    Location: Chandler, AZ


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:53 am
  • I said it in the german thread but while I would love for BVB Dortmund to win it all, I really am supporting all 3 German clubs in the CL and the 4 remaining German clubs in the EL to go as far as they can all go.
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 100
    Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:40 am
    Location: Chandler, AZ


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:35 pm
  • Going through are:

    Manchester United
    Barcelona
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Malaga
    Schalke
    PSG
    Image
    User avatar
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1877
    Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
    Location: Bay Area, CA


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm
  • United's squad can't deal with Real. No British clubs past the first knockout stage. Book it.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:United's squad can't deal with Real. No British clubs past the first knockout stage. Book it.


    United's only lucky break is Casillas' broken hand.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:35 pm
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:Going through are:

    Manchester United
    Barcelona
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Malaga
    Schalke
    PSG



    and just where the hell have you been sir?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:31 pm
  • I think I may have made my predictions a bit too soon now. Galatasaray have signed Sneijder and Drogba pretty much a week apart from each other, and now I'm starting to like their chances in the last 16 and maybe the final 8 depending on if they get through and who they end up with.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:21 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    MANUNITED23 wrote:Going through are:

    Manchester United
    Barcelona
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Malaga
    Schalke
    PSG



    and just where the hell have you been sir?



    I've been quite busy, but hey I'm back now.
    Image
    User avatar
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1877
    Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
    Location: Bay Area, CA


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:United's squad can't deal with Real. No British clubs past the first knockout stage. Book it.


    Yeah, we'll see about that.
    Image
    User avatar
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1877
    Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
    Location: Bay Area, CA


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 am
  • Apparently Gus Johnson will be commentating on Fox Soccer now, beginning with the Champions League matchup between United and Madrid. So we're gonna get to hear his exciting calls during soccer matches too?
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 pm
  • Cannot wait till next week! As a Celtic fan I think we can get at least a draw in Glasgow. Not so confident away from home but if we keep it tight at the back anything can happen.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:16 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Cannot wait till next week! As a Celtic fan I think we can get at least a draw in Glasgow. Not so confident away from home but if we keep it tight at the back anything can happen.


    Maybe Celtic gets possessed by the 11 players who played in Lisbon.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 pm
  • ...or play as well as they did against Barcelona and Spartak. At the moment Celtic have nothing to lose. Pressure is all on Juventus. Celtic were told they would be lucky to qualify for the Group Stages, they were told they would be lucky to get a point in the group stages, that Scottish football was dead due to Rangers demise. At the moment we have a really young side who can only get better in my opinion. Lustig, Matthews, Forrest, Forster and Wanyama have great potential. I don't think Wanyama and Hooper will stay beyond this summer but I think our scouting network means I would be confident replace at least Hooper. Wanyama will end up at a really big club I think.

    Scottish football which was once the 4th best league in Europe in the 70's has been completely gubbed since Sky started investing heavily in the EPL in the 1990's and Rangers spending went crazy in the late 90's early 00's with SPL clubs also spending to catch up. When crap EPL clubs like Wigan, who are roughly the size of Hearts and Hibs can play players 40,000 a week despite having vast amounts of empty seats your never going to win. Clubs like Celtic and Ajax who were power houses in the 60's and 70's now have to scout the next big thing before the richer clubs do and sell them on for profit after a couple of year in order to compete. This will remain the case until some form a salary cap or spending to debt ratio is brought in. When the Chelsea's and Man Citys of the world, who were never exactly huge clubs to begin with before their sugar daddy's bought them can spend that much money and do more on the pitch over the Ajax, Celtic and Dortmunds of the world who have large crowds and fanbases, you know something is wrong.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 am
  • Celtic were a nice wee surprise story, nothing more.

    Large John was aware.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Large John was aware.


    How to win the European Cup ;)
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:...or play as well as they did against Barcelona and Spartak. At the moment Celtic have nothing to lose. Pressure is all on Juventus. Celtic were told they would be lucky to qualify for the Group Stages, they were told they would be lucky to get a point in the group stages, that Scottish football was dead due to Rangers demise. At the moment we have a really young side who can only get better in my opinion. Lustig, Matthews, Forrest, Forster and Wanyama have great potential. I don't think Wanyama and Hooper will stay beyond this summer but I think our scouting network means I would be confident replace at least Hooper. Wanyama will end up at a really big club I think.

    Scottish football which was once the 4th best league in Europe in the 70's has been completely gubbed since Sky started investing heavily in the EPL in the 1990's and Rangers spending went crazy in the late 90's early 00's with SPL clubs also spending to catch up. When crap EPL clubs like Wigan, who are roughly the size of Hearts and Hibs can play players 40,000 a week despite having vast amounts of empty seats your never going to win. Clubs like Celtic and Ajax who were power houses in the 60's and 70's now have to scout the next big thing before the richer clubs do and sell them on for profit after a couple of year in order to compete. This will remain the case until some form a salary cap or spending to debt ratio is brought in. When the Chelsea's and Man Citys of the world, who were never exactly huge clubs to begin with before their sugar daddy's bought them can spend that much money and do more on the pitch over the Ajax, Celtic and Dortmunds of the world who have large crowds and fanbases, you know something is wrong.


    That is beyond the truth, Celtic have basically become this season's APOEL.

    As for City, it's actually pretty funny how they've spent upwards of £500 million over the past 2 seasons, and all they've gotten to show for it was a cameo in the Europa League knockout stage last season, and a dead last finish in the CL group stage this year.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:...or play as well as they did against Barcelona and Spartak. At the moment Celtic have nothing to lose. Pressure is all on Juventus. Celtic were told they would be lucky to qualify for the Group Stages, they were told they would be lucky to get a point in the group stages, that Scottish football was dead due to Rangers demise. At the moment we have a really young side who can only get better in my opinion. Lustig, Matthews, Forrest, Forster and Wanyama have great potential. I don't think Wanyama and Hooper will stay beyond this summer but I think our scouting network means I would be confident replace at least Hooper. Wanyama will end up at a really big club I think.

    Scottish football which was once the 4th best league in Europe in the 70's has been completely gubbed since Sky started investing heavily in the EPL in the 1990's and Rangers spending went crazy in the late 90's early 00's with SPL clubs also spending to catch up. When crap EPL clubs like Wigan, who are roughly the size of Hearts and Hibs can play players 40,000 a week despite having vast amounts of empty seats your never going to win. Clubs like Celtic and Ajax who were power houses in the 60's and 70's now have to scout the next big thing before the richer clubs do and sell them on for profit after a couple of year in order to compete. This will remain the case until some form a salary cap or spending to debt ratio is brought in. When the Chelsea's and Man Citys of the world, who were never exactly huge clubs to begin with before their sugar daddy's bought them can spend that much money and do more on the pitch over the Ajax, Celtic and Dortmunds of the world who have large crowds and fanbases, you know something is wrong.


    That is beyond the truth, Celtic have basically become this season's APOEL.

    As for City, it's actually pretty funny how they've spent upwards of £500 million over the past 2 seasons, and all they've gotten to show for it was a cameo in the Europa League knockout stage last season, and a dead last finish in the CL group stage this year.


    Same with Chelsea as well this year. Considering how much they have spent, the core of the team that won the Champions League last season was from Mourinhos time. Drogba, Cech, Terry, Lampard, Cole. If they are to progress they need to clear out at least Lampard and Terry who have constantly undermined every manager after Mourinho.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    Large John was aware.


    How to win the European Cup ;)


    That boys were being sexually abused on club-owned property. Nothing to laugh about.

    Child abuse FC - ashamed of nothing, offended by everything.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    Large John was aware.


    How to win the European Cup ;)


    That boys were being sexually abused on club-owned property. Nothing to laugh about.

    Child abuse FC - ashamed of nothing, offended by everything.




    Celtic boys club has nothing to do with the club. Get your facts right. Talking ill of the dead. How classy.

    "ashamed of nothing, offended by everything" :roll: :lol: Sounds like your own club. Hope life in the third division is treating you well.
    Last edited by Glasgow Seahawk on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Celtic Boys' club has nothing to do with the club? Catch a grip. It was a youth training scheme operated under supervision of Celtic FC. If saying that Big Jock knew what was happening and did nothing about it is talking ill of the dead, then I guess i talk ill of the dead. Joe Paterno was also aware and was a scumbag for not doing anything about it. I don't give a shit if they're dead, they were both scum who knew boys were being abused by someone in their organization and chose to do nothing.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Celtic Boys' club has nothing to do with the club? Catch a grip. It was a youth training scheme operated under supervision of Celtic FC. If saying that Big Jock knew what was happening and did nothing about it is talking ill of the dead, then I guess i talk ill of the dead. Joe Paterno was also aware and was a scumbag for not doing anything about it. I don't give a shit if they're dead, they were both scum who knew boys were being abused by someone in their organization and chose to do nothing.


    There is absolute no proof in your claims That Jock Stein covered it up. Alan Brazil a victim of the abuse has even came out and said otherwise. To sign "who shagged all the boys week in week out for point scoring is just as sick.

    Anyway this is the Champions League thread, you obviously don't like Celtic and there is no point lowering the tone of the thread. PM me if you need to.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am
  • Wow, that jumped up a notch....

    Looking at the Celtic-Juve match, should be an interesting contrast in tactics. Juve plays that pacey 3-5-2, running up the flanks and pinging from the middle. Celtic runs a base 4-4-2, at times 4-5-1 (against Barca) crowding the center of the pitch
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:"ashamed of nothing, offended by everything" :roll: :lol: Sounds like your own club. Hope life in the third division is treating you well.


    Third division is treating us very well, as it happens. the bankrupt SPL is not treating the great unwashed very well though, is it? missing all that rangers revenue, aren't you? hypocrites.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:"ashamed of nothing, offended by everything" :roll: :lol: Sounds like your own club. Hope life in the third division is treating you well.


    Third division is treating us very well, as it happens. the bankrupt SPL is not treating the great unwashed very well though, is it? missing all that rangers revenue, aren't you? hypocrites.


    Serious question. Charles Green: Legit or bullshitter extraordinaire? He talks a good game. However, The new winding up order must be a worry considering he can't give a straight answer. The lack of a promised big money Adidas deal? The Dallas Cowboys hookup? Murray Park still being called the same despite the promises. War chests for the first division?

    I don't care about the other SPL clubs to Hearts had issues when Rangers were still in the SPL.

    Celtic's finances are fine. £20 million Champions League money with a free run at it for at least 3 more years. If they were in any danger Desmond would bail them out. I don't miss the Old firm games this year. I felt they were played too often the last few years. My feelings may change next season but right now it's quite refreshing. If the SPL collapses and it means an escape route to another league i'm fine with it.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 am
  • What other league? No-one's interested in Rangers or Celtic.

    Charles Green is probably a bullshitter, but I don't suppose it really matters at this point.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am
  • Big day now as it's the start of the knockout stage.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am
  • So nervous about this game but nothing to lose. Mon the hoops!!!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 pm
  • I think Celtic have been unlucky so far, they've played better and it was a bad instance that led to Juve's goal
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 pm
  • How good are PSG? with Lavezzi and Ibra up top, Pastore and Lucas Moura running around underneath.... very fluid, pacey, creative.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm
  • Well that's us out. 3-0 was damn harsh though considering we pretty much dominated and somewhat flattered them. However, they were clinical in front of goal. Two of their goals were gifted to them by Ambrose who shouldn't have been playing considering he flew in from Africa that morning. Ref was abysmal, Juventus got away with man handling our players at corners time after time. We missed Samaras big time up front for his pace and height. Don't think Juventus will get past the next round.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:24 pm
  • Show some class, Glasgow Seahawk. Oh wait, you're a Celtic fan....my bad.

    Celtic fought admirably, but Juve's class showed through. It was an interesting Cinderella story for about a minute, but Celtic never stood a chance here.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Show some class, Glasgow Seahawk. Oh wait, you're a Celtic fan....my bad.

    Celtic fought admirably, but Juve's class showed through. It was an interesting Cinderella story for about a minute, but Celtic never stood a chance here.


    I gave Juve credit, they were clinical with the few chances they had but the scoreline wasn't a good reflection of the game. Two of the goals put wrapped in a Christmas present for them by Ambrose. Still think a Dortmund, Madrid or Barcelona will take them apart next round.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 am
  • The Celtic-Juventus game wasnt as competitive as it seemed. Juve essentially let Celtic play into their centrally loaded defense (the ran a 3-5-2, with three solids centerbacks and two holding mids). Celtic dominated possession, but only in the build up. Juve waited, then hit Celtic on the wings as soon as possession changed. Classic counter attack approach against a team amped by the home crowd. The last two goals were something of a gift, but again Juve played the tactical game very well.

    Still very impressed with PSG. There was more in that game than the two goals they scored. Was disappointed to see them concede late. Its interesting that any team Ibra is on seems to have a level of complacency in it, often in and out of one game. I think of Sweden's efforts during the Euros and friendlies (the games with England and Germany prime examples) as well last night.

    Looking forward to this afternoon
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm
  • Juve did finish their chance far better than Celtic, but I can't help but feel Celtic were hard done by some lazy refereeing, the amount of pushing and shoving and jersey grabbing by Juve during corners would have been called any other day but this ref felt it was only necessary to book both sides when he saw it. Neil Lennon and Kris Commons seem to have felt the same way about the referee. Though Celtic are gonna feel they didn't help themselves either with the counters that Juventus scored on.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1846
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:Juve did finish their chance far better than Celtic, but I can't help but feel Celtic were hard done by some lazy refereeing, the amount of pushing and shoving and jersey grabbing by Juve during corners would have been called any other day but this ref felt it was only necessary to book both sides when he saw it. Neil Lennon and Kris Commons seem to have felt the same way about the referee. Though Celtic are gonna feel they didn't help themselves either with the counters that Juventus scored on.



    Wait, the losing coach felt he was undone by the ref? shocker... Lennon must have gone to the Sir Alex Wenger school of post game interviews.

    The only time a foul is called in the box on a corner is by the offensive side. And even that is barely hinted. Sorry, those "missed calls" are typical of any match, from US High school soccer to the Champs League.

    Celtic didnt help themselves because they were set up for failure. they failed to recognize Juve's strength going into the game and did little with the chances they didnt get. I like Lennon, and like Celtic overall, but Juve set them up all night. it paid off early and late. you will see a far different Juve team in Italy in early March.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm
  • Wee Shakhtar having a good go at it here!
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:Juve did finish their chance far better than Celtic, but I can't help but feel Celtic were hard done by some lazy refereeing, the amount of pushing and shoving and jersey grabbing by Juve during corners would have been called any other day but this ref felt it was only necessary to book both sides when he saw it. Neil Lennon and Kris Commons seem to have felt the same way about the referee. Though Celtic are gonna feel they didn't help themselves either with the counters that Juventus scored on.



    Wait, the losing coach felt he was undone by the ref? shocker... Lennon must have gone to the Sir Alex Wenger school of post game interviews.

    The only time a foul is called in the box on a corner is by the offensive side. And even that is barely hinted. Sorry, those "missed calls" are typical of any match, from US High school soccer to the Champs League.

    Celtic didnt help themselves because they were set up for failure. they failed to recognize Juve's strength going into the game and did little with the chances they didnt get. I like Lennon, and like Celtic overall, but Juve set them up all night. it paid off early and late. you will see a far different Juve team in Italy in early March.


    Celtic's 3 biggest issues were 1: No Samaras, our top scorer in Europe. His pace has allowed us to counter attack in Europe and his aerial presence was missing. We were so one dimensional without him. If he plays in March you'll see a different Celtic offense, even with the tie over.

    2: Taking the gamble on playing Ambrose and Forster and getting it wrong. The guy was just off an 8 hour flight after playing two days before and no doubt partying, hadn't trained with the team in weeks. Would have felt better if Rogne had played there. In turn he gifted Juventus two goals that were pathetic at any level of the sport. Forster isn't 100% fit and looked rusty at the goals but can understand why he played (our backup is not great).

    3: Substitutions. Thought Lustig was having a great game until his injury and his replacement Matthews was shaky. Thought Commons was doing well when he got subbed, whereas Forrest was fading out the game. When both went off our game went to shit.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 306
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage
Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:19 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk = Celtic Gatehawk


    Dammit.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11191
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Next


It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online