Let's Talk Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Let's Talk Mariners
Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 am
  • Ackley had 5 hits including an HR and also 2 walks :D hopefully he is getting this worked out.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 am
  • CPHawk wrote:No? Brady went from tiny to ripped in no time Si. If you believe he was clean, I have some ocean front property in NM you should buy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/inflatab ... 012-2?op=1

I love New Mexico... did they ever get the Isotopes from Springfield?

On the Mariners.... Wedge will be relieved of his duties soon. This thing is going south fast. Whats frustrating is if the bullpen closes things out over the last 3 weeks we are looking are only a 4-5 games from .500.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Frankin with 2 bombs today !

Yep. Keep it up kid!
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri May 31, 2013 11:42 am

Fri May 31, 2013 8:50 pm
  • We're typically one the the hottest teams for 2 days a week, then the other three guys get to pitch.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 am
  • PLEASE read this column by Greg Jayne of the Vancouver (WA) Columbian from this morning (Sat.):

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.

Dustin Ackley, the once and former hope of the Seattle Mariners, has been demoted to Triple-A. And the problem, we know now, is . . . wait for it . . . mathematics.

Yes, mathematics. Numbers. Those pesky things that actually measure a player's performance.

Ackley was batting .205 with a .266 on-base percentage when he was sent down, and the reason for this, according to his manager, was that Ackley was being too selective at the plate and was worried too much about on-base percentage.

"It's the new generation. It's all this sabermetrics stuff, for lack of a better term, you know what I mean?" manager Eric Wedge told MLB.com. "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

Ah, all this sabermetrics stuff -- baseball's new math. All these newfangled methods that tell us how important on-base percentage is.

Don't us media types know that a player such as Ackley shouldn't be bothered with things like, you know, trying to get on base?

Ugh! Math! How does it work again?

Never mind the fact that -- thanks to sabermetrics -- we know that on-base percentage is by far the most important offensive statistic. We know that OBP holds the strongest correlation to the actual number of runs that a team scores.

Goodness knows, we wouldn't want to get into Ackley's head with information like that.

Which brings us to the many, many ways in which Wedge's quote is an abject failure of managerial acumen:

• First of all, if Ackley is concerned about his on-base percentage, he's doing a lousy job of showing it. He's the deadbeat dad of OBP, the criminally negligent driver who leaves OBP in a roadside ditch.

Last year, Ackley's on-base percentage was .294. This year, his .266 mark ranks 157th out of 170 qualifiers in the major leagues.

If Ackley supposedly cares about getting on base, his OBP is about to sue him for non-support.

• Second of all, Ackley is being paid $1.5 million this year. If he is easily distracted by advice from outsiders, then he's probably a little overpaid. Like by about $1.499 million.

Isn't it more than a little absurd to suggest that a major leaguer's performance is affected by "people who haven't played since they were 9 years old"?

• And third of all, maybe the problem lies more with Ackley and Wedge than it does with people who analyze baseball statistics. I'm just guessing here. Then again, unlike Wedge, I'm not paid $1.9 million a year to figure these things out.

Which, by the way, also is money not well spent. Wedge took over the Mariners in 2011, and since then they have wandered through an offensive desert of historic scope. Since the start of the 2011 season, Seattle has scored 165 fewer runs than any other team in the American League.

Take, for example, Justin Smoak. By the middle of this week, the Mariners' first baseman was on pace to finish this season with 558 plate appearances and 25 RBI. No first baseman in the history of the game -- well, unless you count Joe Agler of the 1914 Buffalo Buffeds from the Federal League -- has had 550 plate appearances with as few as 25 RBI in a season.

But you can ignore that. It's just math.

Instead, you can wonder how the Mariners have taken allegedly solid prospects such as Ackley, Smoak, and Jesus Montero and rendered them impotent at the plate. For the past several years, Seattle's offense has been a failure at every level, from roster building to player development.

And you don't need to play the game to understand that.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:06 am
  • "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

I am guessing this is Captain obvious Greg Jaynes?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:17 pm
  • that has to be it for Wilhemson and Wedge... has to be
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 pm
  • lol. Another 9th-inning walkoff. That's just unbelievable.

And kudos to Wedge for leaving someone in after 3 consecutive walks in the bottom of the 9th so he can complete the blown save.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:22 pm
  • hahaha lets not forget the wild pitch, there goes that stellar era.

Franklin was an 0fer today we may want to send him down
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:16 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:lol. Another 9th-inning walkoff. That's just unbelievable.

And kudos to Wedge for leaving someone in after 3 consecutive walks in the bottom of the 9th so he can complete the blown save.

ive been as optimistic as an Ms fan can be, but they (specifically Wedge) lost me today. I'm done with them until he's gone
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:47 pm
  • I'm just too hardcore of an M's fan. I can't be done with them. But I get more and more discouraged as the season progresses.

That said, if we can't rely on our closer to close out 2-run leads consistently, then it could get really pathetic really quickly.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:21 pm
  • Eric Wedge is a stubborn dinosaur, but his presence shouldn't be the reason you tune out.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:37 am
  • Now Smoak is going to the DL. It is part to believe it can get worse. I agree about Wedge, he is very old school and not in a good way. It is my understanding he has has his own philosophy he tries to instill at the plate; that is to be very aggressive.

Is suspect that is one of the reasons that the number of walks when they come up diminishes and strikeouts are through the roof. Listen to some past interviews where Wedge calls Ackerly's problem as too passive at the plate and why he strikes out. I agree at times on outside pitches he freezes. Wedge is right ... He freezes due to over analysis IMO. It is not due to that new fangled sybermetrics, but due to the swing away approach of Wedge.

A lot of good hitters know they have holes and protect them by fouling balls off in those areas and becoming bad ball hitters and/or drawing a lot of walks. Not all players are wired the same and trying to take a patient calculations hitter and changing them into swing away hitters leads to a lot of line drive outs.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:39 am
  • i personally don't think wedge is the problem, he's no more old school than Lou was.. the problem is the FO, as long as the owners stay who they are and on down to Jack, this team is going nowhere and doing nothing.. every manager they've brought in since lou can't all be this bad...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 am
  • The problem with the statement 'no more old school than Lou was' is that Lou was a successful manager in the 1990s and very early 2000s. That's 10-20 years ago. Time to evolve with the game.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 am
  • Losers of 12 of their last 16. The downward spiral is in full force. That sound you just heard was the toilet flushing on another season in Marinerville.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am
  • Great writeup but you could have covered the Ms in fewer words.

THEY SUCK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!!!!!

I'm amazed at those of you that listen to "this is our year" talk and seem to believe it every year for 10-12 years.

The owners of this franchise sure knows how dumb its fan base it. Why would anyone want to come and see a team that normally goes 4-12 in the last 16? And then get excited when they win a couple of games. :roll:

The only way you're ever going to get a better team is either to have an ownership change and/or stop supporting them completley for a couple of years. But I know you won't do that.

We football fans had bad years but never a string of absotuvely shitty play every game for 162 games. I begged for Ichiro to be traded years ago so he could have a fair chance to win a ring.

TRADE THE KING SO HE ALSO CAN HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN. He's never going to win here unless he can continue pitching until he's 74.

You fans that refuse to bail,,,,,remember you gave half a billion dollars to this franchise so they could be about the worst team in the league virtually every year. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

:les:
    No last minute heroics will be needed this time.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am
  • I believe Felix has a no-trade clause in his new contract. Believe it or not the guy likes it here.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 pm
  • Every year as a mariners fan we do get too excited over little things which is the first sign of a LOSER. Ohh we have a three game win streak, then 8 losses. Or Ohh our "stud" prospect hit a HR and then ends the year with 12 HR and a 235 avg. I will always be a fan but a decade of losing kills the soul. it's hard when we play a team and they show our lineup against theirs and they have. 3-5 players around the .300 avg and better and we hopefully have 1 maybe 2 guys hovering at .290. The only thing we have improved this year is HR's, bay, morse, rauuuul, and kendrys have helped in that category. Let's hope the Astros don't get good.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 am
  • jkitsune wrote:The problem with the statement 'no more old school than Lou was' is that Lou was a successful manager in the 1990s and very early 2000s. That's 10-20 years ago. Time to evolve with the game.

What specifically has changed with the game since lou was here?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:23 am
  • The Radish wrote:Great writeup but you could have covered the Ms in fewer words.

THEY SUCK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!!!!!

I'm amazed at those of you that listen to "this is our year" talk and seem to believe it every year for 10-12 years.

The owners of this franchise sure knows how dumb its fan base it. Why would anyone want to come and see a team that normally goes 4-12 in the last 16? And then get excited when they win a couple of games. :roll:

The only way you're ever going to get a better team is either to have an ownership change and/or stop supporting them completley for a couple of years. But I know you won't do that.

We football fans had bad years but never a string of absotuvely shitty play every game for 162 games. I begged for Ichiro to be traded years ago so he could have a fair chance to win a ring.

TRADE THE KING SO HE ALSO CAN HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN. He's never going to win here unless he can continue pitching until he's 74.

You fans that refuse to bail,,,,,remember you gave half a billion dollars to this franchise so they could be about the worst team in the league virtually every year. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

:les:

did you bail on the Seahawks in the late 80s and the entire 90s... or does your hypocrisy only apply to baseball?

jog on Radish. we know your feelings on the Ms. dont feel it necessary to pat yourself on the back
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    did you bail on the Seahawks in the late 80s and the entire 90s... or does your hypocrisy only apply to baseball?

jog on Radish. we know your feelings on the Ms. dont feel it necessary to pat yourself on the back

Yeah I have to agree with Uncle Si on this one Les. It's called being a "fan"--through thick and thin there is always hope for the future. You just don't write off an entire team just because they haven't turned it around. Obviously the owners could be a little less tight with the money and the front office hasn't done a great job. But unlike some teams (KC, PIT) the intent is still to contend for a title and as long as that intent rings true then a fan has to back them.

If you are not a fan, that's fine. But the "jilted lover" anger and attitude towards them is a bit much IMO.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am
  • I have nothing to say in response to Les's post that is appropriate for this section of the forum, except to say that the arrogance and self-righteousness displayed in its contents is nauseating.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am
  • jkitsune wrote:I have nothing to say in response to Les's post that is appropriate for this section of the forum, except to say that the arrogance and self-righteousness displayed in its contents is nauseating.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:50 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:I have nothing to say in response to Les's post that is appropriate for this section of the forum, except to say that the arrogance and self-righteousness displayed in its contents is nauseating.

Agreed. Gotta say I read the post before I looked at the poster and I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm
  • I get the frustration because Lincoln and Armstrong are awful administrators, but that isn't the fans' faults. It is almost NEVER the fans' faults. I understand why someone would feel it valid not to reward this franchise for being so bad that they had to root against the Sonics coming back to make sure that people would still come to their games. I also understand why someone would keep rooting for, and spending money on, this team. It's also not like this team just cut payroll and has been content to make a profit while stinking. They lost a hundred games at a hundred-mil-plus payroll, after all.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 pm
  • no one told Kyle Seager he's supposed to suck. Grand Slam to tie it in the 14th, down 1-2. Clutch.
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:56 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I get the frustration because Lincoln and Armstrong are awful administrators, but that isn't the fans' faults. It is almost NEVER the fans' faults. I understand why someone would feel it valid not to reward this franchise for being so bad that they had to root against the Sonics coming back to make sure that people would still come to their games. I also understand why someone would keep rooting for, and spending money on, this team. It's also not like this team just cut payroll and has been content to make a profit while stinking. They lost a hundred games at a hundred-mil-plus payroll, after all.

Thing about it is, as apathetic as I feel towards the team, if I ever got the chance I'm still going to a game because live sports is such a fun atmosphere.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:48 pm
  • GoldenIsThyTate wrote:no one told Kyle Seager he's supposed to suck. Grand Slam to tie it in the 14th, down 1-2. Clutch.

What a guy!!! We might have lost but he is a bright spot on a dark team.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 am
  • We do have a couple of guys that are decent. Seager, Franklin looks good, and Kendrys Morales is a guy who can hit.

I think that next year is the key year. Felix + Iwakuma + probably two of the three-headed monster in the roster on the mound. Then a core of Seager, Franklin, Zunino, and hopefully a re-signed Morales. They need to get guys signed around these four, but they would have a fighting chance at a wild card spot.

Or I'm probably just deluding myself.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:56 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:We do have a couple of guys that are decent. Seager, Franklin looks good, and Kendrys Morales is a guy who can hit.

I think that next year is the key year. Felix + Iwakuma + probably two of the three-headed monster in the roster on the mound. Then a core of Seager, Franklin, Zunino, and hopefully a re-signed Morales. They need to get guys signed around these four, but they would have a fighting chance at a wild card spot.

Or I'm probably just deluding myself.

I think you're deluding yourself, but just a little bit. Franklin looks good, but no better or worse than Ackley looked his first year. Even Smoak started off fantastic. We can't really take for granted with young players that they're either going to continue being awesome or continue being bad. Michael Saunders took YEARS to become a productive player, and despite his current slump, he has legitimately looked like a starting caliber OF. Not the star we hoped he'd become, but like someone who could anchor CF and maybe make one All-Star game in his career. Hopefully he keeps that up.

Montero, Smoak, and Ackley could all rebound. None of them could. We won't know for a while. Smoak has been mediocre this year, but mediocre is a fair step up from atrocious, which hew as the last two. Maybe he'll keep improving.

Maybe Nick Franklin will continue to hit. Maybe he won't.

Maybe none of our pitching prospects will work out (I'm reminded of 2004ish when we had a similar crop of young pitching, all of which flopped), and then what? Even if they come up next year, is anyone expecting them tod ominate? Even King Felix was average as a rookie (though to be fair, average as a 19-year-old was an incredible feat).

No one year is the 'key' year anymore. The M's should have been good by now, but prospects didn't pan out the way we hoped. However, the talent is still there, and whether it's this year, next year, or the year after, if it ever does, the M's could genuinely become good.

One thing that's fascinating to me about this year's team is how bad their pitching has been, but how decent their offense has been. It has translated to a nearly identical record compared to last year at this time. Last year, a lot of people felt like they wouldn't care how bad the record, as long as they could see some home runs - personally, I feel about the same about this team as I did last year, and I haven't heard many people (on here or otherwise) say 'well, they suck, but it's better than last year because their hitting is better.'

Just random thoughts. At any rate, go M's.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:15 pm
  • First round pick in today's draft:

DJ Peterson, 3rd basemen from New Mexico.

Peterson has gone from high school afterthought -- the Mariners selected him in the 33rd round of the 2010 draft -- to arguably the top hitter in the nation in the span of three years. The right-handed hitter is listed at 6-foot-1 and 215 lbs., and his quick hands and smooth mechanics allow him to square up the ball consistently. He has some power but a very advanced approach at the plate. Peterson lacks the first-step quickness and soft hands to remain at third long-term despite a strong arm, meaning left field or first base are his likely destinations.

He came into the week with a .408/.520/.807 slash line with 18 home runs and only 35 strikeouts against 46 walks in 55 games.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-o ... k-profiles
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:28 pm
  • I suppose that I should have been more clear; 2014 is the big year for Jack Z. I think he will get until next year to see if enough of his prospects pan out. If they don't at least make a serious run at the playoffs, I am sure that he will be gone.

But the rest of it is a lot of wishing and hoping, as jkitsune rightly points out. We need at least three prospects to turn out, by my count (two of the pitchers and Zunino) PLUS have Franklin keep hitting. That already is pretty tough for a team that, as of late, has only developed Kyle Seager into something resembling a good player (and a borderline All-Star candidate, I think).

Saunders, I'm not sure about. I keep thinking that he's figured it out, but then he was hitting worse than Brendan Ryan at one point after he came off the DL. Maybe he is still getting over that injury.

Meh, I'll assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised if the Ms do well. I just desperately want some playoff baseball here in Seattle again.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 pm
  • Harang back to crapping the bed again.
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm
  • KitsapHawk wrote:Harang back to crapping the bed again.

I would say he is crap in the bed with maybe a hand full of good games in the last 2 years.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:07 am
  • KitsapHawk wrote:Harang back to crapping the bed again.

I am a glass half full guy.......I saw Bevan pitch 6.1 innings of 1 hit ball. :thirishdrinkers:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:31 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    KitsapHawk wrote:Harang back to crapping the bed again.

I am a glass half full guy.......I saw Bevan pitch 6.1 innings of 1 hit ball. :thirishdrinkers:

and 4.2 innings of perfect game (no hits, no walks)
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am
  • The Ms obviously are not a very good team. The White Sox are just worse than they are; a decent team like the NYY exposes them. My fear is that I don't see the Ms getting better in the future (3-5 years) after looking at the Seahawks and how they draft and contrasting that the Ms I have reached some conclusions.

The Seahawks draft high upside players. Players that for whatever reason are athletes but didn't show it in combine tests or try outs. A bad year, injury, out of position etc.

The Ms try as much as possible to go for the safe bet. Low risk, good character bit most of the time have a low upside. Pretty much what you see is what you get.

They seem to do better when they sign free agents that have a good track record but a bad year or two. That is pretty much the only position players doing anything on the team today.

It seems to me that the Ms are betting a whole lot on the Farm system developing position players for the team and it has just not happened. Doing the same thing over and over when it is not working is foolish.

I would take a hard look at the scouting and coaching in the minor league system. If they really want to use a farm team centric approach they need to find out why the farm system is failing and fix it
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm
  • Sounds like RW is throwing out the first pitch tonight, with our pitching it may be the best we see tonight ! :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:Sounds like RW is throwing out the first pitch tonight, with our pitching it may be the best we see tonight ! :D

Go to the vine video site Kam Chancellor has a video of RW throwing the "first pitch" in the the Hawks locker room. He is user bambamkam
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:56 pm
  • I'd request that he pitch the rest of the game if it weren't for the possibility of him getting hurt.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:15 pm
  • Two batters in and Bonderman looks like Bonderman. Time for Wilson!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 pm
  • Trenchbroom wrote:Two batters in and Bonderman looks like Bonderman. Time for Wilson!

6 Innings 3 hits, one run (earned) not bad. Bartender closed the deal.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 am
  • Really good to see Bonderman have a decent outing. Dude's a Washington native (Pasco) and I always root for homegrowns.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:31 pm
  • Zunino was called up and is being flown in from Vegas as we speak
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:24 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:WHen's his first game? :) I hope they're not rushing the kid.

Dont worry they are
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information