Let's Talk Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Let's Talk Mariners
Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Apparently Saunders is a stud when he pitches at safeco. .090 era or something crazy like that? Maybe rotate Bevan for road games?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 pm
  • Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Justin Smoak has the 3rd highest batting average on the team. At .237.

Saunders leads the team in runs and SB. After coming off the DL.

Morse leads the team in HRs. Even after spending time on the DL. 2nd place on the list? Jason Bay.

Looking good! At least they are better than the Angels.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 9:07 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Morse leads the team in HRs. Even after spending time on the DL. 2nd place on the list? Jason Bay.

Where do you get 3rd?
    Chavez: .288
    Saunders: .286
    Seager: .283
    Shoppach: .264
    Morales: .262
    Gutierrez: .259
    Bay: .253
    Smoak: .237

8th.

If you're talking about players with a comparable # of at-bats, then yes. But I wouldn't discount the other guys based on just that.

And yes, Morse is tied for 8th in home runs after missing time on the DL and slumping because of the injury. Pretty impressive.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:15 am
  • The Outfield wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Where do you get 3rd?

8th.

If you're talking about players with a comparable # of at-bats, then yes. But I wouldn't discount the other guys based on just that.

And yes, Morse is tied for 8th in home runs after missing time on the DL and slumping because of the injury. Pretty impressive.

as is 18-19, taking 2 of 3 from a division opponent, splitting with a very good Pirates team. the averages are starting to rise a bit, and the subtle increase in batting has led to more wins.

Still a fine balance with strong pitching, and if one falters then the team may slump again. But lets enjoy this little surge in wins.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 am
  • It will be an excellent pitching matchup tomorrow.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 am
  • It's nice to see Justin Smoak drawing a lot of walks. His average has crept up a bit, but his OBP is miles better (I think, TBH I haven't looked it up) than it was last year. Bodes well for him.

Michael Saunders' evolution from complete bust to exactly as good as touted has been a blessing. Thankfully we didn't give up on him. I'm hoping we offer our other top prospects the same patience.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:It will be an excellent pitching matchup tomorrow.

Yep. CC Sabathia v. the King. Definitely going to record this game so the wife and I can watch all of it tomorrow.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 am
  • jkitsune wrote:It's nice to see Justin Smoak drawing a lot of walks. His average has crept up a bit, but his OBP is miles better (I think, TBH I haven't looked it up) than it was last year. Bodes well for him.

Michael Saunders' evolution from complete bust to exactly as good as touted has been a blessing. Thankfully we didn't give up on him. I'm hoping we offer our other top prospects the same patience.

I am beginning to lean towards Smoak sticking to one side of the plate an go from there. He has been atrocious as a RHB this season.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Where do you get 3rd?

8th.

I got the ranking from Mariners.com. Guess they only ranked the regular starters. Or just like the Mariners, their web guy sucks.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 14, 2013 5:49 pm
  • Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 am

Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.

He got screwed two batters in a row.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Felix tweaked his back it would seem. :-(

It sounds like he'll be back to face the Indians on Sunday. I hope it's nothing serious/reoccurring.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.

He got screwed two batters in a row.

No surprise, they were playing the Yankees. Kinda like the Seahawks playing the Stealers.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am
  • Saw a really sad stat in my paper this morning.......18 times in his career Felix has left a game with a lead only to have the Mariners blow that lead. Wow, just WOW!!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm
  • The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)
    Sorry Mariners fans, its the truth.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 pm
  • Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

And just as you post this, they jump out to a 7-0 start.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 4:02 pm
  • What are you apologizing for? I think most knowledgeable fans think .500 is probably a reasonable approximation of the roster as it stands (at the optimistic end - obviously there are more pessimistic estimates).

If Smoak, Ackley, and Montero play to potential there's a few extra wins in there, if Franklin and Zunino and Hultzen and Walker and Paxton all turn out it's a stellar roster, but, y'know, lots of ifs and all that.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 am
  • Nice to see Ackley draw 3 walks. I think he drew one the night before, too. That's a part of his game that's been missing.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 am
  • Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Also Ackley is better than Andino in every way. EVERY. WAY.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu May 16, 2013 9:53 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Everyday players like Ackley have schedule days of rest. Andino was just filling the slot.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am
  • Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

great story... compelling and rich
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Looks like Noesi is facing his former team today after Harang was scratched due to a stiff back.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

While mysteriously lacking anything particularly appealing. Kind of like a store bought frozen lasagna.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Looks like Noesi is facing his former team today after Harang was scratched due to a stiff back.

I really am not sure who is better or worse at this point lol.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Everyday players like Ackley have schedule days of rest. Andino was just filling the slot.

Hmm, I thought Andino had been replacing Ackley regularly over the last two weeks. Guess I was wrong.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Hmm, I thought Andino had been replacing Ackley regularly over the last two weeks. Guess I was wrong.

You were. In fact, if you thought that, then you are not really a fan of the Mariners in the first place and just came in here to spout off some nonsense. Even a casual follower of the team would know that Andino was spelling Ryan.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:35 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:

He was in for Ackley on Sunday and Tuesday. I don't recall seeing him in for Ackley for any other games. But I agree that starting Andino over Ackley would not be a wise move.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

Heh, my wife and I, when watching TV with bad acting, will both say "powerful" as smartarse commentary after the poorly acted scene is over.

I like what you did here...
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu May 16, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Why can't we use our designated batter for Ryan, and let the pitchers swing the bat? They're all better at the plate than Ryan, and that way we get his glove without the wet-noodle bat.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Thu May 16, 2013 5:45 pm
  • Does anyone know why both starters left before the 5th? Both seemed to be doing ok? Just got home :-/
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 pm
  • 3 of 4 from the Angels, 2 of 3 from the Orioles, 2 of 3 from the Blue Jays, a 1/1 split with the Pirates, 2 of 3 from the A's and 2 of 3 from the Yankees.

Not bad at all !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:Does anyone know why both starters left before the 5th? Both seemed to be doing ok? Just got home :-/

I suspect it was pitch count. Both were in the 80s and another inning and they are over 100 in a long season. Felix is the only one that seems to be allowed to go over 100.

The thing that is concerning is the only ones that are hitting are the old guys. Look at the OBS for the young guys it is low in the 300s. They have to get them hitting
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm
  • 20-21 and 2nd place. Will we be able to get over that hump? Tough 4 game series against an improved Indians ball club coming up.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri May 17, 2013 5:52 am
  • 400WattHPSHawk wrote:20-21 and 2nd place. Will we be able to get over that hump? Tough 4 game series against an improved Indians ball club coming up.

Should have had the sweep...

have to hand it to the manager.... really moving the lineup around a bit to get more quality at bats. Nice not to see the same 9 in their struggling.

Great job by Noesi and the bullpen
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 6:36 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    400WattHPSHawk wrote:20-21 and 2nd place. Will we be able to get over that hump? Tough 4 game series against an improved Indians ball club coming up.

have to hand it to the manager.... really moving the lineup around a bit to get more quality at bats. Nice not to see the same 9 in their struggling.

They have to keep Morse in the five hole. He is something like 9-14 since moving into that role. Ridiculous.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    400WattHPSHawk wrote:20-21 and 2nd place. Will we be able to get over that hump? Tough 4 game series against an improved Indians ball club coming up.

They have to keep Morse in the five hole. He is something like 9-14 since moving into that role. Ridiculous.

I hope the Sea Beast can keep it up! I really enjoy watching him bat when he's on fire.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 8:48 am
  • The M's are funny. Nobody on that team consistanly hits (except Seager), but they always have a couple of guys that with swing it well for a couple days in a row. If they could just get a couple more guys (Ack, Saunders, Morse, Morales, Gutierezz) to hit and bring up on more pitcher, i think they can compete. Oh and if we're not gonna bring up Franklin, then we need to trade for a SS. I'm tired of hearing the guys on the radio telling me that Brendon Ryan is saving the team several runs per game with his defense.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 6:46 pm
  • That was a shitty ending
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 6:51 pm
  • LEUTGE!!!! GOD DAMMIT!!!!
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm
  • I really miss Stephen Pryor in our bullpen.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Why the hell do they seem to always struggle in Cleveland no matter how good or bad the Indians are? Now gotta win 2 to just get a split.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 18, 2013 5:18 pm
  • Well, they did get to face our two shittiest pitchers the first couple of games and had to get late game heroics/bullpen collapses to win.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2013 5:53 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Well, they did get to face our two shittiest pitchers the first couple of games and had to get late game heroics/bullpen collapses to win.

Yeah. I'm still MASSIVELY impressed with those back-to-back home runs in the top of the 9th by Ibanez and Smoak. That was really cool. Too bad nobody got on before them.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am
  • 4 game sweep by the Tribe........Defense and bullpen killed us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:4 game sweep by the Tribe........Defense and bullpen killed us.

just a sad sad 4 games. should have been no worse than 2-2
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 pm
  • They looked like they were finally going to turn a corner and become a .500 club. Hopefully they can move on from this bizarre series and not let it derail their season now.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 pm
  • So close to .500 and now 4 games later this. Every time I get my hopes up...............SIGH!!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 pm
  • When Felix loses it called a curse.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*