Let's Talk Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Let's Talk Mariners
Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:01 pm
  • Was surprised by the statistical lines of Seager... very encouraging.

Some hitting taking place last night. lets see if Ackely, Smoak and Montero can leep it up

(christ im far too hopeful)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Funny in a depressing (and mariners) way that Seager, who was likely an afterthought draft pick after Ackley and his room mate at North Carolina, might replace him at second base in the future.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:16 pm
  • Smoak is warming up as well.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 pm
  • I've never been a Jack Z hater, but he's been making it very hard lately. Peguero over Thames? How does he justify that? I know in the overall scheme of things it won't matter much seeing as Saunders will be back soon, but it's still a dumb move.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 am
  • Robert Andino has been named the starting SS from this point on............yipee. We go from a .140 hitter to a .090 hitter. Can we call Nick Franklin up yet?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:03 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Robert Andino has been named the starting SS from this point on............yipee. We go from a .140 hitter to a .090 hitter. Can we call Nick Franklin up yet?

He better be as good as Ryan defensively because that is the only thing that we had going for the position.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Robert Andino has been named the starting SS from this point on............yipee. We go from a .140 hitter to a .090 hitter. Can we call Nick Franklin up yet?

Well, hopefully Andino either gets hitting or Wedge soon brings in one of our AAA infielders that looks like they have promise. We have a few of them.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 am
  • It's so depressing to see us loosing series to the Astros! Weren't the Astros supposed to be baaaaadd this year!! Can't wait for football to start again. ::groan::
    hawkclaws
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 am
  • It's pretty sad when the M's have given the Astros 3 of their 6 wins, about to be 4 of their 7.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:10 pm
  • Lol, every time I check the score, the Astros go up 3-5 more. All I can do is chuckle.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm
  • This team is so depressing.

I can see it now...

"Mariners set interviews for new GM and Manager"

"High hopes for young club"

"New new four year plan!"

Uggghhhh.

Side note, it was nice to see Ackley have a good game. Smoak finally went yard too.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 am
  • That's why I said giving an extension to Felix was a bad move.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 am
  • And Hopefully we see the last of Guti.

1st 2 seasons
    153 games
    152 games
    92 games
    40 games
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 am
  • Carmon1274 wrote:That's why I said giving an extension to Felix was a bad move.

Uh... I'm still missing your point?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:12 pm
  • Carmon1274 wrote:And Hopefully we see the last of Guti.

1st 2 seasons
    153 games
    152 games
    92 games
    40 games

Yeah a real shame too cuz dude can play. He's just never on the field.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 pm
  • You'll probably win tonight, we're just as bad as you.

Come on Halos though, light it up
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm
  • Another good night by my boy Kyle Seager, dude is on fire!
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 pm
  • Endy Chavez is on fire too. Good to see Peguero hit a gigantic blast as well.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:40 am

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:29 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:How about Maurer ? 3 Solid games in a row !

and a nice run at the plate for Montero, Smoak, Ackley and Seager of late as well.

be nice to see some consistency and wins come from this
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm
  • I believe in Ackley and obviously Seager.

Smoak and Montero are clueless against any kind of decent pitching.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 pm
  • Justin Smoak......please find your way off of this team already. I'm never watching another at bat of his again, pointless.
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:58 pm
  • OMG. Smoak struck out twice tonight with 2 outs, bases loaded.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 pm
  • Tonight's attendance is 31,543. What a difference beard hats make, eh?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:Ryans benching lasted a whopping 1 game?

He wasn't benched. It was simply determined that Andino would be the primary/starting SS. But it's a bit weird that Andino is still in (at 2nd) when Ryan is at SS.

@Sailor Haha, I know right? Pretty sad.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:40 pm
  • 0-10 with the bases loaded and 1 rbi in the last 2 games. 7 abs with less than 2 outs. Christ on a bike

(And 1st and 2nd right after... don't bunt them over, strike out swinging... its as if the manager hasn't an idea who his batters are)
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 pm
  • My only hope is that the Mariners regain relevance before they're run out of town. I don't know if I could recover from losing them, in terms of baseball fandom. It's so demoralizing that, after a run of incompetence (Bavasi), we've had a run of usually-good decision making but awful luck. Picking up top offensive prospects like Montero, Smoak, and Ackley by all rights should have worked out (at least 2 of the 3), and that none of them are right now is crushing.

Sometimes good decisions turn out horribly. The Mariners have had more than their fair share of it, though.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 pm
  • Sweet, another win for Felix!! If our bats stay as hot as they are and we can start to hit with RISP, we'll do pretty good. Now to think about Harang and Saunders......
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 am
  • The Outfield wrote:Sweet, another win for Felix!! If our bats stay as hot as they are and we can start to hit with RISP, we'll do pretty good. Now to think about Harang and Saunders......

Bats hot? Shit man, they couldn't hit AAA pitching with runners in scoring position. Smoak has got to go. Another whiff in run scoring situation before Morales bailed them out with the go ahead hit. What are they in the last week with RISP? Maybe .100 with 80000 Ks? Just truly brutal with the bats. Felix was awesome last night though, that's for sure.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:Sweet, another win for Felix!! If our bats stay as hot as they are and we can start to hit with RISP, we'll do pretty good. Now to think about Harang and Saunders......

Bats hot? Shit man, they couldn't hit AAA pitching with runners in scoring position. Smoak has got to go. Another whiff in run scoring situation before Morales bailed them out with the go ahead hit. What are they in the last week with RISP? Maybe .100 with 80000 Ks? Just truly brutal with the bats. Felix was awesome last night though, that's for sure.

Did you read my post completely? I said if we could just start hitting with RISP we'd do well... otherwise, we've had around a .300 team batting average the past few games. Almost every player has hit. I think the only one that hasn't is Smoak.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:16 am
  • The Outfield wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:Sweet, another win for Felix!! If our bats stay as hot as they are and we can start to hit with RISP, we'll do pretty good. Now to think about Harang and Saunders......

Did you read my post completely? I said if we could just start hitting with RISP we'd do well... otherwise, we've had around a .300 team batting average the past few games. Almost every player has hit. I think the only one that hasn't is Smoak.

Some people just like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Seems you have brought one of them out of the woodwork.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Bats hot? Shit man, they couldn't hit AAA pitching with runners in scoring position. Smoak has got to go. Another whiff in run scoring situation before Morales bailed them out with the go ahead hit. What are they in the last week with RISP? Maybe .100 with 80000 Ks? Just truly brutal with the bats. Felix was awesome last night though, that's for sure.

Some people just like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Seems you have brought one of them out of the woodwork.

regardless... it is really freaking frustrating... i counted 0-10 with the bases load, 0-7 with the bases juiced and less than 2 outs... 1 rbi (and i think it was a fielders choice).
    great that they are getting on.. now finish the job. What comes first.. we start getting them in, or we stop getting them on?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:Iwakuma is a friggin STUD !

He is at that... so 3 of 4 from the Angels... and we pitched well for the most part.

Now that we've seen Vargas.. good trade?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:40 am
  • Don't get too excited, this Angels team is in dire trouble, think it's season over already, the Pen is absolutely shocking and the hitting is leaving a lot to be desired. Very worried.
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 am
  • Storts wrote:Don't get too excited, this Angels team is in dire trouble, think it's season over already, the Pen is absolutely shocking and the hitting is leaving a lot to be desired. Very worried.

Won't get excited about another teams failings (unless that team is the Yankees) but so far it seems as though the Ms dodged a bullet on Hamilton. We couldn't have dumped out that kind of cash for mediocre returns and ever recovered
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Storts wrote:Don't get too excited, this Angels team is in dire trouble, think it's season over already, the Pen is absolutely shocking and the hitting is leaving a lot to be desired. Very worried.

Won't get excited about another teams failings (unless that team is the Yankees) but so far it seems as though the Ms dodged a bullet on Hamilton. We couldn't have dumped out that kind of cash for mediocre returns and ever recovered

Definitely mate, no plate discipline at all, just swinging at everything, must be on for some sort of K record. He doesn't look interested at all. Then again we were saying the same things about Pujols after his first month so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Scioscia on the other hand has to go. This team has been going nowhere for 3 years and the buck stops with him. Thank you for 2002 Mike but it's time to move on.
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Did you read my post completely? I said if we could just start hitting with RISP we'd do well... otherwise, we've had around a .300 team batting average the past few games. Almost every player has hit. I think the only one that hasn't is Smoak.

Wouldn't one of the factors in a team to be considered as having "hot" bats actually be hitting with RISP?

CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Some people just like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Seems you have brought one of them out of the woodwork.

See above. To me a team with "hot" bats actually hits with RISP and scores more than 2 or 3 runs per game. As for bitching, it isn't to be happy cuz I am bitching. I've been watching the Mariners since thier inception in 1977 and IMO I have the right to be unhappy with the devlopement of the young players Jack Z. has brought in, ESPECIALLY Smoak. Settling for mediocrity as a fanbase will perpetuate it even longer.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:Did you read my post completely? I said if we could just start hitting with RISP we'd do well... otherwise, we've had around a .300 team batting average the past few games. Almost every player has hit. I think the only one that hasn't is Smoak.

Wouldn't one of the factors in a team to be considered as having "hot" bats actually be hitting with RISP?

Well, if you had read my post completely, you'd see that RISP wasn't factored into me calling them "hot" bats. Regardless, I think simply a high batting average does constitute the usage of the term.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm
  • Another good win!
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm
  • I've ALMOST forgiven them for not giving me a beard hat the other day.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm
  • win 1 of the next 2 and you're at 13-17, not where you want to be but better than it was looking as if to be
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 am

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 am
  • Last night's attendance: 9818. Apparently people are voting on the state of this franchise with their wallets. Still hopeful of a .500 season this year. For that to happen the hole in the middle of the lineup that is Justin Smoak must be filled IMO.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 am
  • CF Guti
    RF Saunders
    LF Chavez/Bay/Ibanez
    1B Morales
    2B Ackley
    SS Andino/Ryan
    3B Seager
    C Montero/Shoppach
    DH Morse

I think that is a pretty good lineup there.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 pm
  • Well, we must all must remember that it wasn't long ago that the M's had the best record in all of Major League Baseball.

The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 2:59 pm
  • Welp the M's get my depressing Blue Jays this weekend - including Felix vs a guy who was just called up yesterday - so enjoy the series win.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:CF Guti
    RF Saunders
    LF Chavez/Bay/Ibanez
    1B Morales
    2B Ackley
    SS Andino/Ryan
    3B Seager
    C Montero/Shoppach
    DH Morse

I think that is a pretty good lineup there.

I am hoping that this is not your preferred batting order...
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information