Let's Talk Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Let's Talk Mariners
Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:23 pm
  • So Si, you think Zunino will be called up this year? That would be great, I don't know what to expect as far as call-ups, but I would be excited to see that. He's much more of a catcher than Montero, and is a pretty solid bat from what I've heard. What do you think happens when he gets called up? Split starts with Montero? Full time catcher w/ Montero @ DH? But then that leaves out Morales, unless he plays first. And then that leaves out Smoak, who may be the deciding factor in this whole thing.

But I am definitely excited to see Zunino and Franklin, as well as the "Big 3." I think Hultzen will likely be the first of the 3 called up. I have my doubts that Walker will be called up this year, but would be excited if it happens.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 pm
  • I want at least a .500 record, but sadly I will probably be disappointed in the end.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:09 pm
  • Guiterrez strikes out in 3 pitches for the opening at bat of the season?

Oy.........................
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:23 pm
  • Shaz wrote:Guiterrez strikes out in 3 pitches for the opening at bat of the season?

You do know that IF he stays healthy he will have about 500 more, right? Maybe we could give him, I don't know like 4 or 5 entire games before you judge him?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm
  • Shaz wrote:Guiterrez strikes out in 3 pitches for the opening at bat of the season?

And then he hit a 2-run single when it actually mattered.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 pm
  • Why are Seager, Montero and Ackley batting 6,7 and 8 respectively? Seems odd.

I don't like Guti in the leadoff position.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 pm
  • Stressed there in the bottom 8th....
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:55 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
    Shaz wrote:Guiterrez strikes out in 3 pitches for the opening at bat of the season?

You do know that IF he stays healthy he will have about 500 more, right? Maybe we could give him, I don't know like 4 or 5 entire games before you judge him?

Wasn't judging him

Calm yourself super-spark
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 pm
  • 1-0
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm
  • 162-0 coming up
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 pm
  • Leave Montero's beautiful face alone.

Signed,
    Sean
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Why are Seager, Montero and Ackley batting 6,7 and 8 respectively? Seems odd.

Seager and Montero have some power and Ackley is capable of hitting for a good average. The idea is more power/rbi potential spread throughout the lineup rather than bunching them up in one spot.
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 pm
  • TheLargentLine wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Why are Seager, Montero and Ackley batting 6,7 and 8 respectively? Seems odd.

Seager and Montero have some power and Ackley is capable of hitting for a good average. The idea is more power/rbi potential spread throughout the lineup rather than bunching them up in one spot.

Plus it takes the pressure off these young guys, batting further down the lineup.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 pm
  • That win is all on King Felix. M's bats need to keep up with preseason if they want to compete this year.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 pm
  • That was fun to watch! Felix had his magic; then began to fade. He loves to compete. Gave some drama at the end. He Wanted to stay in the game.

My biggest fear is the pitching. For all the talk of what great pitching the Ms have it let down alot last year. I really like Maurer and hope he can become

solid as the second starter. I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:07 pm
  • Atradees wrote: I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.

That's a good thing then, since he's not the #2, Iwakuma is. Beavan is currently the #5.

As for the bats tonight, I never fail to marvel at the fact that everyone discounts the A's starter. King Felix was our opening night starter for a reason; he's our best pitcher. Anderson is the A's current best starter, and he was no slouch at all. Tonight's batting results were much more about Anderson being a pretty damned good pitcher than it was about our bats being no good.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 am
  • apparently you're not allowed to have negative comments about the mariners in this particular thread, so i say this.. i hope they can continue with the wins... recent history has shown they start out hot and fade fast.. let's hope that's a trend that ended last season. i'll give their bats a pass in this game, Anderson is one hell of a pitcher and always does well against us...
    Last edited by hawker84 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 am
  • nategreat wrote:So Si, you think Zunino will be called up this year? That would be great, I don't know what to expect as far as call-ups, but I would be excited to see that. He's much more of a catcher than Montero, and is a pretty solid bat from what I've heard. What do you think happens when he gets called up? Split starts with Montero? Full time catcher w/ Montero @ DH? But then that leaves out Morales, unless he plays first. And then that leaves out Smoak, who may be the deciding factor in this whole thing.

But I am definitely excited to see Zunino and Franklin, as well as the "Big 3." I think Hultzen will likely be the first of the 3 called up. I have my doubts that Walker will be called up this year, but would be excited if it happens.

I think he is up by July. Morales is here on a one year deal, and i imagine the club will look to trade him before the deadline (regardless of what Smoak does), then bring up Zunino and let him platoon (if not take the catcher position outright) with Montero between DH and behind the plate.

This team's strength is in its youth, so the Big three (or atleast two) should be joining the club by September, along with Franklin.

Nice win yesterday. I know that there was some talk about the M's not hitting, but that was the A's ace as well. Obviously you want to see more in offense, but its hard to assume it against a pitcher like that. give it a month.

Still, 1-0.. and our 178 million dollar pitcher looked the part against the defending AL West Champs.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:08 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Atradees wrote: I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.

That's a good thing then, since he's not the #2, Iwakuma is. Beavan is currently the #5.

As for the bats tonight, I never fail to marvel at the fact that everyone discounts the A's starter. King Felix was our opening night starter for a reason; he's our best pitcher. Anderson is the A's current best starter, and he was no slouch at all. Tonight's batting results were much more about Anderson being a pretty damned good pitcher than it was about our bats being no good.

Beaven, Furbush and the #2 Iwakuma. Pretty much suck. (OR- I didn't risk spelling his name)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 am
  • hawker84 wrote:apparently you're not allowed to have negative comments about the mariners in this particular forum, so i say this.. i hope they can continue with the wins... recent history has shown they start out hot and fade fast.. let's hope that's a trend that ended last season. i'll give their bats a pass in this game, Anderson is one hell of a picher and always does well against us...

why cant you post something negative? I mean Beaven is still our 5th starter and Ibanez and Bay are on the bench instead of Hamilton and Swisher on the field. we started the game with 4 straight strikeouts.

everything you said is spot on.... this team needs alot to go right to finish .500. if it doesnt i imagine we are all going to want to vent.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:17 am
  • Atradees wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:
    Atradees wrote: I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.

Beaven, Furbush and the #2 Iwakuma. Pretty much suck. (OR- I didn't risk spelling his name)

It will go Felix, Iwakuma, Saunders, Maurer, Beaven... Iwakuma is a strange case. Performed well as a starter, posting a sub 4 ERA after being a disaster as a reliever (not the usual progression). As with much of the team, alot has to go well with the starters for the team to compete. But the pen is solid, and unique. If 2-5 can take the game into the 7th for most of their starts the team will be competitive.

Beaven is going to give way to which ever one of the big three come up first. He did make some adjustments to his approach and had a decent Spring keeping the ball down. But the fences are in at Safeco now, if he tried to use the expansive outfield to get outs he's going to struggle
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 am
  • Atradees wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:

Ya, I'm not saying you are wrong with the last comment, just clarifying the first one. Tho Furbush is a reliever. At least he was last night. While I don't know how good or bad they'll be, I actually like Iwakuma and Beavan, tho the latter has an uncanny ability to Vargus up a good start too much (give up a big inning).
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:

I was gonna say it if you didn't. This was their #1 vs our #1.
    DYSFUNCTIONAL NINERS WON'T MAKE PLAYOFFS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/?p=6451
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:apparently you're not allowed to have negative comments about the mariners in this particular thread, so i say this.. i hope they can continue with the wins... recent history has shown they start out hot and fade fast.. let's hope that's a trend that ended last season. i'll give their bats a pass in this game, Anderson is one hell of a pitcher and always does well against us...

That's my biggest fear, and the reason why it's hard for me to jump on the M's bandwagon with both feet. Show me you've turned things around and start winning for reals, and I'll mostly forgive you for all the posturing and stampy feet over the Sonics arena.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 pm
  • Iwakuma is having a great game. Morse! Bamm!
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:34 pm
  • Good game so far!
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm
  • Go mariners. 5-1 in 7th looks goos so far
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 pm
  • I'll be negative about the Mariners right now:

Get rid of Smoak, he's not going to pan out, cut your losses
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 pm
  • God, Oakland fans are annoying. Constantly tooting horns and yelling "Let's go Oak-land!"
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 pm
  • Good old Dave Sims... "Here comes Oliver Pear-ez"
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 pm
  • We have some serious power this year. It's nice to see our better hitters from last year moved to the back or middle of the order to make room for Moris, Morales, and others. Moris is killing it tonight!
    "I don't know why anyone thinks the NFL is going to start the season with a rematch of one of the most lopsided Super Bowls of all-time.

They want a competitive game, not an ass-pounding." --- Broncos Fan
    smashmouth59
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 pm
  • They do always start off well, don't they?
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:47 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:They do always start off well, don't they?

It might seem like it, but here are the records for the first 10 games of the last 5 seasons:

2012: 5-5 (finished 75-87)
    2011: 3-7 (finished 67-95)
    2010: 4-6 (finished 61-101)
    2009: 7-3 (finished 85-77)
    2008: 4-6 (finished 61-101)

With the exception of 2009 (the only winning season), the records are certainly nothing to write home about.

And just for kicks, here are the records for the first 2 games:

2012: 1-1
    2011: 2-0
    2010: 1-1
    2009: 1-1
    2008: 1-1
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:45 am
  • The Outfield wrote:God, Oakland fans are annoying. Constantly tooting horns and yelling "Let's go Oak-land!"

yeah, it really sucks that they try their best to support their club. Damn them!! :thirishdrinkers: :shock:
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:47 am
  • I was curious getting to see them all over the central valley here in Arizona during spring training if any of their success down here would transfer into the regular season.

Granted, it is only two games against one team but some of the things look decent already. It will be interesting to see what might continue over as more time passes by.
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:51 am
  • I was a little surprised about all the hitting last night. The first week or so of the season is usually not the time to gauge one's hitting as everyone is usually lining up against the other team's top pitchers.
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 am
  • looking good so far... morse is a monster..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:24 am
  • UNDEFEATED !!! :thirishdrinkers:

They seem to be much more patient at the plate........so far
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 am
  • Looking good! Here's hoping they keep it up.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 am
  • Shaz wrote:I'll be negative about the Mariners right now:

Get rid of Smoak, he's not going to pan out, cut your losses

He gets a month, maybe two.

He does have 4 walks in two games, plus a couple hits. not a bad start.

But yeah, he needs to show his improvement early
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:44 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Good old Dave Sims... "Here comes Oliver Pear-ez"

Gotta love Sims! I still remember the first time he really got into the King's Court night. Sims: "And the fans are chanting K-K-K". There was a pause, then laughter from the whole announcers box. The guy makes it fun to listen to!

Oh, and GO M's!
    Seaman
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm
  • I went to the first 2 games in Oakland and was on TV yesterday! I also caught a game ball... Winning!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365034950.655364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365034950.655364.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 569 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365034969.845050.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365034969.845050.jpg (101.67 KiB) Viewed 569 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365034982.205101.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365034982.205101.jpg (61.26 KiB) Viewed 569 times
    Check out My Seahawks Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8
    FreshlySnipes
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm
  • Very Nice. I have seen a lot of As games in the past at the coliseum and it was excellent for baseball ( much of the time no ones goes and you can sit almost anywhere ) TV and a ball .... Maybe buy some lottery tickets !
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 pm
  • Morse is at it again as well as Guit witha leadoff HR.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 pm
  • If Saunders is the M's replacement for Jason Vargus . . . Color me unimpressed
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:43 pm
  • Yeah, I'm a bit worried about him. Hopefully he'll settle in.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 pm
  • Back-to-back home runs off Loe.

Ugh, I'm not liking this game. This reminds me of last year.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:24 pm
  • Can't expect to win or look good every game. I find that baseball is too exhausting to follow with the game by game intensity we all follow football. There's just too many games to get too upset over any one.

I'm just really happy to see Gutierrez show some power.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 pm
  • The Mariners are moving to Sacramento!
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:The Mariners are moving to Sacramento!

You guys got your River Cats or whatever. Be happy, that's all you're getting!
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information