Let's Talk Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Let's Talk Mariners
Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Man....Mauer is struggling tonight!

This is brutal to watch. Fortunately, there's no reason to believe it's predictive of how his career will pan out!
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 pm
  • After putting aside my frustration with how the inning went, I feel bad for the kid. That was just awful.
    Jake Hawks
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:50 pm
  • Man again......this Loe guy needs to go , he is awful!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm
  • Well, just over an inning through and down 9-0? Yep. That's the Mariners we all know and love.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Well, just over an inning through and down 9-0? Yep. That's the Mariners we all know and love.

Nothing ever changes with this team.....nothing, I hate being a fan of them sometimes.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm
  • Im happy to be a fair weather fan
    Jake Hawks
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 pm
  • Man none of the hitters are going up to bat with a sense of urgency......they have already given up tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if they got no hit.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 pm
  • Watch Bedard throw a no no against us, that would really cap the night.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm
  • I could tell this kid might have confidence issues. It's a shame because I think he's a good pitcher otherwise. I hope he can figure it out.

Meanwhile, is Erasmo healthy yet?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:10 pm
  • I consider myself to be generally one of the more tolerant M's fans out there. And even I had to turn it off. Do we still not have a hit?
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 pm
  • I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves every year. I mean, I do. You're fans, that's what fans do. Still, the only decent move the M's seemed to have made was getting Morales. They lost Vargas, still didn't pick up a closer and were still going with most of the same shitty bats. I hope things turn around, but it looks like another long and miserable year for the hardcore Ms fans.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:I consider myself to be generally one of the more tolerant M's fans out there. And even I had to turn it off. Do we still not have a hit?

Saunders got a hit. Now Bedard is out of the game at only 66 pitches. I decided to leave it on and am rooting for a comeback :)
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves every year. I mean, I do. You're fans, that's what fans do. Still, the only decent move the M's seemed to have made was getting Morales. They lost Vargas, still didn't pick up a closer and were still going with most of the same shitty bats. I hope things turn around, but it looks like another long and miserable year for the hardcore Ms fans.

Morse and Ibanez were good moves imo. Along with re-signing Felix and Iwakuma.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 pm
  • I am of the mindset that the M's will never be a consistent winner with Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong at the helm.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm
  • Luetge got a haircut. New man.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm
  • 4 Runs in the 9th... All with 2 outs!
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 pm
  • Oh well.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 pm
  • The rally was obviously doomed with Montero and Ackley up to bat with 2 outs.

I'm glad they came back with 9 runs.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:56 pm
  • No kidding. I've expected Montero to be a so-so hitter anyway but what in the hell is up with Ackley? Who messed this kid up? Cause he looked promising when he first came in. Now he looks completely lost at the plate.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 pm
  • Ackley has been a HUGE disappointment..........I think we might have to send him down now.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 pm
  • Okay, I'm going to stop trying to preach the whole "small sample size" thing, because its obviously not catching. I get that. I'm actually not opposed to the idea of sending our top prospects back down, either. I doubt it will happen, unfortunately, because the only people behind them are less major league-ready prospects. Let the record show that I think all judgments are premature, that the mariners will be slightly better this year than last, that they'll miss the playoffs, and that someday in the distant future the mariners will actually be good again.

But how about the homers? We've hit a lot of them so far. That's got to be worth something right?
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 pm
  • ohmergerdz it's the same as every year! They're doomed already!

The M's still made smart offseason acquisitions, still look poised to be better than last year, and still have a lot of exciting young talent. I'm not worried.

And mofuggin' Zoo-nee-no.

pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 am
  • Good thing we traded a very good pitcher for Montero. Am I the only one starting to thing our front office overrated what they had in the minors pitching wise?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 am
  • I don't know why Mauer stsyed on. He plsyed well in spting training but I think hr is due for assignment.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Good thing we traded a very good pitcher for Montero. Am I the only one starting to thing our front office overrated what they had in the minors pitching wise?

Yes. You are cmplaining about getting a young bat for a pitcher that would have never returned. You are also complaining about a rookie pitcher that was not in what many consider to be "the big three."
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Good thing we traded a very good pitcher for Montero. Am I the only one starting to thing our front office overrated what they had in the minors pitching wise?

Yes. You are cmplaining about getting a young bat for a pitcher that would have never returned. You are also complaining about a rookie pitcher that was not in what many consider to be "the big three."

And Pineda has been injured and invisible for the Yankees.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:54 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Good thing we traded a very good pitcher for Montero. Am I the only one starting to thing our front office overrated what they had in the minors pitching wise?

Well tbf Pineda hasnt done anything for the Yankees.

As for our pitching talent in the minors... they're still in the minors (aside from Maurer and Pryor) and doing very well. There are 3-4 excellent prospects down there.

So i dont think the FO overrated our prospects. I think perhaps our manager overrated Maurer (or underrated one of the vets he tried out).

If we're giving small sample sizes to our hitters we must give it to our pitchers as well

In regards to the homeruns, yes there has been a massive uptick. Alarmingly it has come from the free agents. This is both good and bad. The FO seems to have identified the right bats to bring in to help the younger players. but the younger players havent responded. Again, we're 9 games in. But i think we'd all prefer to see alot different from Ackley (who does have a hit in two consecutive games now, so theres that), Montero, Smoak and Seeger
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 am
  • good news is we scored 9 runs, bad news is we gave up 16... :shock: it happens , every team has one game like this every year...

now i'm not going to come down on young Mauer, but he needs to get over these nerve issues and get some confidence, he was actually making some good pitches towards the end, i think he just got pissed and said F it... but he needs a strong outing to get his confidence back, hopefully that will happen soon..

Ackley, needs to be sent down and figure it out, smoak is a bust, i'm calling it now... Ryan, does it get to the point where stellar defense does not out way zero production at the plate? i'd settle for a mediocre shortstop with a solid bat..

positive notes, Morales, Saunders, Guti, Morse, Ibanez, Seigler all solid players

early season prediction.. where i think we'll be better than last year record wise, we're still 2 or 3 players away from fielding a winning club, we're getting zero production from our middle infielders, montero is still a question mark at this point, and our starting rotation falls off dramatically after the first two.... going to be a long season boy's...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am
  • hawker84, Ryan is doing fairly well so far this year. He has a .273 average. Hope he can keep it up, because that would be a huge improvement over last year.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 am
  • hawker84, Ryan is doing fairly well so far this year. He has a .273 average. Hope he can keep it up, because that would be a huge improvement over last year.

Key phrase, i hope so as well....
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm
  • And already down 3-0 to the Astros again..........smh.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm
  • Yeah, it really just appears to be the same issues as the last several years, except now the pitching isn't nearly as good after 1 and 2. Hitting is terrible, and now it seems defense is a problem.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:49 pm
  • Same old Mariners. Getting beat at home to the Astros says it all.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:05 am
  • the very definition of insanity.. putting the same product on the field, expecting different results year after year after year....

IT'S THE ATROS FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:07 am
  • hawker84 wrote:the very definition of insanity.. putting the same product on the field, expecting different results year after year after year....

IT'S THE ATROS FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!

Its obviously safeco field, can't blame the Pres, GM or team. :sarcasm_off:
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:12 am
  • Starting pitching goes from our strength in 2011 to our weakness now. Couldn't hit a home run to save the world that year, now that's all we have--old slow guys that can bash the ball and young kids who cannot hit anything.

:pukeface:

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am
  • Here we are not half way through April and there are already Ms fans saying "Wait till next year."

I've heard that so long I tend to ignore them completely. As much as I dislike LymonHawks team at least they go to the playoffs now and then.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 am
  • I stopped following the M's after I realized they don't care about building a team that will contend. Baseball season in the PNW has become a months long joke with no punch line. It's just not worth my time or energy to support them at this point. REAL changes need to be made, from the top to the bottom. Until that happens, all my M's hats will remain hanging on the wall.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 am
  • The Ms obviously have many problems. The "new normal" attendances in the 10k level reflects the unhappiness. Granted Houston is not a team I would pay to see, but it was the opening series.

What I see as a bigger problem is management does not seem to get it. Some examples and a bit of a rant:

Fans pay to see Home Runs or a lot of hits. Pitchers duels are boring except to a purist. In the draft much of the capital was in getting pitching which is high risk .

I question our scouting and coaching. We miss a lot in the draft , on trades and then trade players that go on to do well elsewhere. The "big 3 " position players look worse than when they came up. Who is screwing these guys up..? I see it as the coaches job to help the players improve and not regress. If they don't listen send them down or move them

They need some of the PC competition. When I see players coming into spring training fat, lacking muscle, I question it. Someone needs to light a fire under some posteriors. Can't hit or field? Next! ...

It is common to hear in baseball that its not the same as football... It takes more time. I disagree when the players also played in college. During one of Tony LaRussa 's animal events years ago, I asked him about player expectation out of the draft (when would he expect a player to be ready) he told me college players 1-2 years and out of High School 5 years. He said if they didn't make it to the majors and produce by then they probably never would.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm
  • Lost 2 of 3 to the Astros...........let that sink in Ms fans..........2 out of 3 at home to the FRAKIN' ASTROS!!!!!!! Jesus.

I'm not at all a fan of Mahler, but he's been saying (when I'm up there and hear him) for the last several years that Armstrong is the constant in all this losing and that he must go. I think he's correct cuz the people he's hired to run this orginization have failed consistently for far too long now.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Looks like the M's traded Steven Hensley for Aaron Harang. Not a bad deal.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Mariners acquire Aaron Harang from the Rockies for an unspecified minor league prospect...
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/91608 ... ies-source

Interesting, but who did we give up? I'm worried.

Not a bad get at all. Harang can be okay.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 pm
  • GoHawks wrote:If Saunders is the M's replacement for Jason Vargus . . . Color me unimpressed

I must have missed that color in my crayon box
    Check out My Seahawks Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8
    FreshlySnipes
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 pm
  • "We Suck Again!"
    -Guy from Waterboy
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 pm
  • Hopefully he doesn't Harang a curve ball.....
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm
  • Well the wife and I watched about 80 games last year, and we had the team down to an acronym:

Me: you want to watch some SMB?

Her: is there nothing else on?

The M and B are easy to figure out. The S doesn't stand for sucky...

Looks like another year of SMB to me!

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:18 pm
  • Trenchbroom wrote:Well the wife and I watched about 80 games last year, and we had the team down to an acronym:

Me: you want to watch some SMB?

Her: is there nothing else on?

The M and B are easy to figure out. The S doesn't stand for sucky...

Looks like another year of SMB to me!

SuckMyBalls?

Did I win?
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information