Let's Talk Mariners

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Season opener 24 hours away...

plenty to be cautiously optimistic about (thats the best I can do, sorry). the inability to sign Swisher or Hamilton left a bitter taste over the winter, but the Spring was encouraging.

Smoak has followed up his great September with a strong Spring. Guti seems healthy. Ackely, Seeger, Montero had decent Springs as well. Morales looks a good one year signing and the staff will be very good (I like the addition of Maurer at the back end). Should see Zunino and possibly Franklin by June, as well as the pitching trio by September

Projected as a 75 win team... but the metrics on players are low. If we can play up to potential (as a group, which is hard to imagine happening but why not, we're tied for first right now) then this team can challenge for 85 wins with a strong group of good young players. (we could also win 65 games)

Thoughts? Excited?

Lithium

Reaction score
somewhat excited, I like the moves that were made with Morales and Morse, we have tons of potential everywhere now they just gotta live up to it. but its kinda like gonzaga, we all know they aint going far.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I'm excited and cautiously optimistic. The thing that irritated me the most last year wasn't so much that we weren't winning, but that we weren't scoring runs when our pitchers had an amazing outing. Too many of Felix's losses were low run games. It felt like our batters took a day off whenever he pitched. I hope that will change with these new bats in the lineup.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I'm always excited every year around this time. All star break the excitement has worn off. 87 wins and top 15 in HR. not more bottom of the cellar of batting.

The Outfield

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":1t8d5bzy said:
I'm always excited every year around this time. All star break the excitement has worn off. 87 wins and top 15 in HR. not more bottom of the cellar of batting.

Same here. A lot of people seem pessimistic from the beginning, but I like to give the team a chance. No matter how much the Mariners suck, I'm always a Mariners fan.

JKent82

Reaction score
Hopeful. Like this every year though. I just hope they start off hot. Starting with a 7 game road trip, and 1 day off in 30 someday's could be ugly if they come out of the gate slow.

If they can keep it interesting into August I'll be pretty happy. And have some more of the young guys make the next step.

I just get really sick of the whole zero chance left by the all star break.

chris98251

Reaction score
Talk to me after April and the Sonics deal is done, after all the crap the Mariners tried to pull they don't deserve attention at the moment. Not to discount the players but the organzation.

pinksheets

Reaction score
So why post in a thread about the M's just to say you don't want to talk about the M's? I mean, obviously we were all waiting to get an ETA on when you'd be willing to talk baseball, but still.

chris98251

Reaction score
pinksheets":217oyrs4 said:
So why post in a thread about the M's just to say you don't want to talk about the M's? I mean, obviously we were all waiting to get an ETA on when you'd be willing to talk baseball, but still.

Because I seen so many posting in various Sonics threads about not supporting the Mariners due to the underhanded attempts to block the deal. Becasue just because they may have some promise I am not willing to jump into bed with them just becasue the may have increased their breast size and am not one to jump on a bandwagon and flip flop on what I stated.

Because I can, I didn't know this was a pump up thread in the first place, April will start with a bang and by May we will see as always the holes in the team if it has any as well.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":203w2abq said:
pinksheets":203w2abq said:

Because I seen so many posting in various Sonics threads about not supporting the Mariners due to the underhanded attempts to block the deal. Becasue just because they may have some promise I am not willing to jump into bed with them just becasue the may have increased their breast size and am not one to jump on a bandwagon and flip flop on what I stated.

Because I can, I didn't know this was a pump up thread in the first place, April will start with a bang and by May we will see as always the holes in the team if it has any as well.

feel better sweetie?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I could probably get my hopes up better for the year if we weren't stuck in such a solid division. I can see breaking .500 if things go well, but it's really hard to get my hopes up for any shot at the playoffs.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3vb4n3cd said:
They've been so good this preseason it's hard not to get excited. But then I remember the past few seasons. I'm really hoping this is their 2010 Seahawks season, where they turn the corner, and nothing but good things yet to come.
That's a good way of putting it. I'm not expecting big results, but I'm really hoping this is a year that we come away feeling like the next season we are going to legitimately make some noise. Not wishful thinking, legitimate reason to feel like we're about to break out. We have so many really good young players and prospects that I can't help but feel excited for this year and that in the following seasons we are set up to potentially be really good and for a long time.

In fact, I think we have to be in that place after this season, or else it's time to rethink the direction that Jack Z is taking the team.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Pumped and Jacked ! They have had a nice spring we shall see if that translates into the regular season with the fences moved in I expect to see less 2-1 games and I think our offense should be improved, will that be the recipe for a winning season? The Pitching staff is solid, hopefully the offense can produce a bit more. I do believe this team is headed in the right direction...finally!

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":h9lhnqs6 said:
chris98251":h9lhnqs6 said:
pinksheets":h9lhnqs6 said:

feel better sweetie?

Yes I do, actually the last time I heard that was after a good ********. I have a towel around here somewhere if ya want one.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3ik1f33t said:
Uncle Si":3ik1f33t said:
chris98251":3ik1f33t said:

feel better sweetie?

Yes I do, actually the last time I heard that was after a good ********. I have a towel around here somewhere if ya want one.

If it was good then you swallowed. use the towel to wipe away your tears and jog on back to the Sonics forum and complain about the M's management there... or complain about their hitting here. you're swallowing is for the shack.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
^^ Oh jeez, good turn around haha. No offense chris98251.

I have to agree though, no need for the Mariner's hate here. Especially when hating on the Mariner's for the Sonics thing seems strange when it was what, just a few guys that were really in the way and not the entire organization like many people on these boards think? I think people forget or just straight up don't even know that not everyone was on board with getting in the way of the Sonics...

That being said, I am excited for the season. I always am. I am more optimistic this season than I have been in a very, very long time but I don't expect to make any serious noise. Sadly, I would be happy with being in this middle this season as long as we are progressing!

But who knows. Our team kind of reminds me of the Giants and we have seen what they have done lately! Not sure if any of you guys would agree... If the Mariners can play as a team and truly do have the great chemistry that I have read about then maybe they can surprise everyone this season.

A little off subject, but I would like the M's organization to replicate the Atlanta Braves. I have a lot of respect for that organization and I think that they represent a great foundation for any organization that has been trash and has nowhere to go but up.