Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
Posts: 4010
Location: Brier, WA
Alright footyfans...I'm sure by now you've all heard of Suarez and his on the field antics. He's a diver. He's an ass. He's a cheat. And I absolutely love him for it.

He will do whatever it takes to get his team the W.




He is absolutely magnificent for the sport of football. Every sport needs a bad guy, and he plays the part brilliantly.



Not to mention he is a fantastic footballer too.


_________________
Image
Man up, stand in line.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:52 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
Player of the year in the EPL. Gareth Bale and Robin Van Persie can feast on 1000 dicks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
Player of the year in the EPL. Gareth Bale and Robin Van Persie can feast on 1000 dicks.


This.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1379
You forgot to mention that he's a racist, too.

I absolutely hate this guy. I'm glad to say that Athletic Bilbao would never let a guy like this anywhere near the shirt. He's a grown man rolling around like a little b**** out there. Definitely a talented player, but he's got the class of Andy Kaufman mixed with Diego Maradona. Funny to watch, for sure, and you could argue that everyone loves the bad guy... but F him. Seriously.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
I just can't get enough. I just can't get enough.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
NYCoug wrote:
You forgot to mention that he's a racist, too.

I absolutely hate this guy. I'm glad to say that Athletic Bilbao would never let a guy like this anywhere near the shirt. He's a grown man rolling around like a little b**** out there. Definitely a talented player, but he's got the class of Andy Kaufman mixed with Diego Maradona. Funny to watch, for sure, and you could argue that everyone loves the bad guy... but F him. Seriously.


Ignorant


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
NYCoug wrote:
You forgot to mention that he's a racist, too.

I absolutely hate this guy. I'm glad to say that Athletic Bilbao would never let a guy like this anywhere near the shirt. He's a grown man rolling around like a little b**** out there. Definitely a talented player, but he's got the class of Andy Kaufman mixed with Diego Maradona. Funny to watch, for sure, and you could argue that everyone loves the bad guy... but F him. Seriously.



Someone sounds a little jealous. As if Athletic Bilbao has the financial capabilities to hold on to a Suarez in his prime.

All this jealous and anger should be focused on trying to help improve Bilbao's 14th place in the league and stunning -19 goal differential.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:48 pm
Posts: 108
He's not the suit of person we need in football at all, he's a great footballer, but he brings the game in disrepute time and time again and someone has to come down on him heavily again until he learns.

That punch the other day was cowardly and ridiculous, what is wrong with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:37 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
I just can't get enough. I just can't get enough.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
peachesenregalia wrote:
I just can't get enough. I just can't get enough.






Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
Storts wrote:
He's not the suit of person we need in football at all, he's a great footballer, but he brings the game in disrepute time and time again and someone has to come down on him heavily again until he learns.

That punch the other day was cowardly and ridiculous, what is wrong with him.


Cowardly? Grow up Storts... jesus christ. Players have been at each other like Suarez "punch" for decades. I mean is that somehow worse than ripping apart someones ligaments or breaking a leg with a two footed tackle? What about an elbow to the jaw or nose on a set piece? Or the myriad other things these guys do to each other for 90 minutes a game. If you think Suarez puts the game in disrepute than you're either blind, ignorant to what goes on or hypocritical?

Suarez is mental on the pitch. like Roy Keane was. Like zidane was. Like cantona was.

Suarez is brilliant. Dastardly, genious, comical. F---ing brilliant. People love him. People hate him. but they want to watch him


Last edited by Uncle Si on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 1700
Location: Ballard
Just wanted to thank smurf for removing the animated gif from his avatar, I can/will now read the Sounders thread again....(for some reason animated .gifs kill PowerPCs).
Saurez is good too.

-SH


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
Posts: 4010
Location: Brier, WA
Uncle Si wrote:
Storts wrote:
He's not the suit of person we need in football at all, he's a great footballer, but he brings the game in disrepute time and time again and someone has to come down on him heavily again until he learns.

That punch the other day was cowardly and ridiculous, what is wrong with him.


Gcowardly? row up Storts... jesus christ. Players have been at each other like Suarez "punch" for decades. I mwan is that somehow worse than ripping apart someones ligaments or breaking a leg with a two footed tackle? What about an elbow to the jaw or nose on a set piece? Or the myriad other things these guys do to each other for 90 minutes a game. If you think Suarez puts the game in disrepute than you're either blind, ignorant to what goes on or hypocritical?

Suarez is mental on the pitch. Klike Roy Keane was. Like zidane was. Like cantona was.

Suarez is brilliant. Dastardly, genious, comical. F---ing brilliant. Peopke love him. People hate him. but they want to watch him



Exactly! Thank you Si.

SmokeyHawk wrote:
Just wanted to thank smurf for removing the animated gif from his avatar, I can/will now read the Sounders thread again....(for some reason animated .gifs kill PowerPCs).
Saurez is good too.

-SH



And you're welcome dude, thank Pithy for that. He requested I remove it...Though, the ones of things that happen I will probably still embed in the thread at some points.

_________________
Image
Man up, stand in line.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1379
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
NYCoug wrote:
You forgot to mention that he's a racist, too.

I absolutely hate this guy. I'm glad to say that Athletic Bilbao would never let a guy like this anywhere near the shirt. He's a grown man rolling around like a little b**** out there. Definitely a talented player, but he's got the class of Andy Kaufman mixed with Diego Maradona. Funny to watch, for sure, and you could argue that everyone loves the bad guy... but F him. Seriously.



Someone sounds a little jealous. As if Athletic Bilbao has the financial capabilities to hold on to a Suarez in his prime.

All this jealous and anger should be focused on trying to help improve Bilbao's 14th place in the league and stunning -19 goal differential.


Such is life when you're a club that operates with a smaller budget. Once minute, you're the toast of Europe like last season for Athletic and the next season you're fending off the vulture clubs and fighting off relegation. It's just the way the game is structured financially.

Believe me, you will not find many Athletic supporters that are "jealous" of any of the big clubs and throwing tons of money around. I'm all about homegrown players so to me Athletic is the ideal club. I don't have anything against "big money futbol" but I'm not exactly "jealous" either. I'll take a Joseba Etxeberria to battle for my team any day of the week over Luis Suarez, despite the fact that Suarez is the more talented player.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
And I just can't seem to get enough of
du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du
LUIS SUAREZ!

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 1700
Location: Ballard
Smurf wrote:


And you're welcome dude, thank Pithy for that. He requested I remove it...Though, the ones of things that happen I will probably still embed in the thread at some points.


embed is ok, I guess....hehe. It's one thing to load up some in a post(I can deal waiting for a post to load; but every time I scrolled down and you had a new post it did it's thing....urgh(pretty sure only things on the screen get loaded..). TBH some forums are unreadable because of the Agifs in avatars. All this time and I'm still not sure why PowerPC macs handle them so poorly, must be because they're not vectors...(eheh, thats a velocity engine joke(and I know, I don't think the G5 has V engine). Sorry for the thread jack.

-SH


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 1682
Location: SW Florida
It's funny how no matter how many good things he does on the field, he always finds a way to remind non-Liverpool fans how much we actually hate him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
Gatehawk wrote:
It's funny how no matter how many good things he does on the field, he always finds a way to remind non-Liverpool fans how much we actually hate him.

This just in... he doesn't give a sh-- what anyone thinks. He wants to win. Will do anything he can to help that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am
Posts: 373
Location: Tacoma, WA
One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:33 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
Shaz wrote:
One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport


Please leave this thread and don't come back.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:01 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8686
Location: Is Everything
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
Shaz wrote:
One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport


Please leave this thread and don't come back.



Yes. The truth shall not be spoken in this thread.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
Shaz wrote:
One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport


Please leave this thread and don't come back.



Yes. The truth shall not be spoken in this thread.


Yeah, because guys never flop in basketball. Because a cumulative points league is just so bad for sports. Because hockey and baseball aren't low scoring.

Soccer won't be big in America because Americans are shite at it. You guys only like sports that are pretty much exclusively played in America at the professional level. That way all of the best players in that sport come here to play. You can't do that with soccer, so you don't like it. It's only the most popular sport in the entire world by a silly margin. I guess the rest of the world is wrong then?

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8686
Location: Is Everything
peachesenregalia wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
[quote="Shaz"]One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport


Please leave this thread and don't come back.



Yes. The truth shall not be spoken in this thread.


Yeah, because guys never flop in basketball. Because a cumulative points league is just so bad for sports. Because hockey and baseball aren't low scoring.

Soccer won't be big in America because Americans are shite at it. You guys only like sports that are pretty much exclusively played in America at the professional level. That way all of the best players in that sport come here to play. You can't do that with soccer, so you don't like it. It's only the most popular sport in the entire world by a silly margin. I guess the rest of the world is wrong then?[/quote]

When Italy and England went 0-0 after 90 minute I blanked out.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:06 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
So after 90 minutes you "blank out" Thats what, like three and a half innings of baseball?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
"as big as any other sport"... like which sport? Basketball? hockey? Baseball? its second in total viewership (as a sport, not the MLS) behind football and third in attendance (the MLS) behind football and baseball. means more people sit down and watch soccer (whether it be on TV or internet) than any sport outside football. They just dont watch it on ESPN. they buy foreign tv packages or stream it. their are 50 million expats in this country that care only about soccer. So Shaz thats just a completely dumb comment. great job. I think people confuse whether or not their friends watch soccer or not as some indication as to how many watch it.

It seems more people are trying harder to defend their dislike of the sport these days than defending enjoying it. Look, if you dont like the game, then jog on. Noone cares. If you dont like 0-0, then dont watch. Game has as much drama as a 0-0 baseball or hockey game. But its your opinion.

But the thread isnt about whether people who clearly dont understand how many people in the US actually watch the game its about Suarez.

I clearly understand why people hate him. Id hate him if he wasnt with Liverpool. He dives, bitches, bites, kicks, punches... he wants to win. Kills to do it. Hes also one of the most talented footballers alive. Glorious and ridiculous at the same time, a true talisman like Zidane and others from the 80s and 90s were. But to say hes whats wrong with the sport is ignorant of the sport. diving is a part of the game. its not any more harmful than jersey grabbing (or any of the "tricks" used by "veterans" in other sports...its funny whats called heady and whats deemed cheating). if youve played the game at a fairly high level or watch it closely you will see what doesnt get called. While diving can look like cheating, what players succomb to that doesnt get called is more stunning. Its a physical game that many just dont see. The theatrics can be a bit much, comical, but are being dealt with culturally. its going away.

If you cant appreciate what Suarez does for the PL you either dont like soccer at all, or youre an idiot Arsenal fan.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:04 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
Pardon me for disliking racists...

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
toadie_uk wrote:
Pardon me for disliking racists...


grow up


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
toadie_uk wrote:
Pardon me for disliking racists...


shelve it, twat.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8686
Location: Is Everything
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
[quote="InSuarezWeTrust"][quote="Shaz"]One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport


Please leave this thread and don't come back.



Yes. The truth shall not be spoken in this thread.


Yeah, because guys never flop in basketball. Because a cumulative points league is just so bad for sports. Because hockey and baseball aren't low scoring.

Soccer won't be big in America because Americans are shite at it. You guys only like sports that are pretty much exclusively played in America at the professional level. That way all of the best players in that sport come here to play. You can't do that with soccer, so you don't like it. It's only the most popular sport in the entire world by a silly margin. I guess the rest of the world is wrong then?[/quote]

When Italy and England went 0-0 after 90 minute I blanked out.[/quote]


You almost got it right, but not quiet.Americans don't dislike soccer becsuse we suck at it. We don't play it therefore we don't like it. If our best athletes grew playing soccer we would be one of the teams in the world at it. Same as boxing. The Americans don't have a decent heavyweight because he is playing Tight End or Power Foward.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:37 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am
Posts: 5585
Location: Not Umatilla, Oregon
Players like this are why I can't take soccer seriously.

_________________
Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:37 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
Calihawk... thats a common debate with American soccer. I just disagree with it. First, more kids ages 5-14 play organized soccer than all the other sports combined. And its not that close. Look it up.

The best athlete thing is purely American. Soccer players are world class athletes. The speed, balance, agility and strength they have while using their feet to control the ball is extraordinary. Its too easy to assume that calvin johnson or lebron james would just become world class soccer players if they grew up playing. As if the rest of the world only has 175 pound 5foot 8 men in their populace. The game is far more than that. If it wasn't why wouldn't the germans or dutch produced these 6 foot 8 soccer players. Is america the only country that has these athletes?

Not saying its impossible. But honestly our best athletes play soccer as well.

We just havent made them the elite soccer players yet. (thats a whole different post about the failures of youth soccer here)


Last edited by Uncle Si on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:52 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
SmokinHawk wrote:
Players like this are why I can't take soccer seriously.


You will be missed....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Player of the year in the EPL. Gareth Bale and Robin Van Persie can feast on 1000 dicks.


Suarez absolutely deserves to be a player of the year however I don't think he will win the honors. The reason why is because they vote on this early and therefore Van Persie is most likely winner. He was a bit better than Suarez in the early to mid stages of the season. After that, it ain't even close.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Suarez as a human being but as player he is phenomenal. I believe he is the only reason why Liverppol are sitting 7th in the league table.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8686
Location: Is Everything
Uncle Si wrote:
Calihawk... thats a common debate with American soccer. I just disagree with it. First, more kids ages 5-14 play organized soccer than all the other sports combined. And its not that close. Look it up.

The best athlete thing is purely American. Soccer players are world class athletes. The speed, balance, agility and strength they have while using their feet to control the ball is extraordinary. Its too easy to assume that calvin johnson or lebron james would just become world class soccer players if they grew up playing. As if the rest of the world only has 175 pound 5foot 8 men in their populace. The game is far more than that. If it wasn't why wouldn't the germans or dutch produced these 6 foot 8 soccer players. Is america the only country that has these athletes?

Not saying its impossible. But honestly our best athletes play soccer as well.

We just havent made them the elite soccer players yet. (thats a whole different post about the failures of youth soccer here)


As far as more kids playing it than any other sport, I believe it. That is probably counting girls though too? Football and baseball don't even have a punchers chance.

Next if you look at the cutoff age being around 14 years. Many places around the country don't have football available until then. I understand it is the fastest growing sport and with player safety I assume that parents will tend to lean towards leaving them in soccer rather than letting them try out for football. As of right now as long as teenage American boys want to get laid they'll be turning their shin guards and soccer cleats in for shoulder pads and helmets as soon as they hit high school.

Also before I forget, our women do play through high school and college and they are halfway decent. That said I can imagine that if American males did the same the results would be similar. That's just me dreaming though.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
Calihawk... thats a common debate with American soccer. I just disagree with it. First, more kids ages 5-14 play organized soccer than all the other sports combined. And its not that close. Look it up.

The best athlete thing is purely American. Soccer players are world class athletes. The speed, balance, agility and strength they have while using their feet to control the ball is extraordinary. Its too easy to assume that calvin johnson or lebron james would just become world class soccer players if they grew up playing. As if the rest of the world only has 175 pound 5foot 8 men in their populace. The game is far more than that. If it wasn't why wouldn't the germans or dutch produced these 6 foot 8 soccer players. Is america the only country that has these athletes?

Not saying its impossible. But honestly our best athletes play soccer as well.

We just havent made them the elite soccer players yet. (thats a whole different post about the failures of youth soccer here)


As far as more kids playing it than any other sport, I believe it. That is probably counting girls though too? Football and baseball don't even have a punchers chance.

Next if you look at the cutoff age being around 14 years. Many places around the country don't have football available until then. I understand it is the fastest growing sport and with player safety I assume that parents will tend to lean towards leaving them in soccer rather than letting them try out for football. As of right now as long as teenage American boys want to get laid they'll be turning their shin guards and soccer cleats in for shoulder pads and helmets as soon as they hit high school.

Also before I forget, our women do play through high school and college and they are halfway decent. That said I can imagine that if American males did the same the results would be similar. That's just me dreaming though.



The age thing is an interesting dilemma, and one ive invested alot of time researching as VP of one of the biggest clubs in the state out here. basically its not about taking advantage of new sports. On the contrast, most kids between 5-14 are playing 2-3 sports a season. However, football (kids now play in the summer and fall), baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer are becoming 6-9 month investments now, not just "seasonal".

The dynamic changes drastically at 14. kids have to make a choice of one sport. (maybe two) because of the time and monetary investment involved. Football doesnt suffer too much as aside from camps there isnt much in the offseason (high school football doesnt evolve into summer club teams, but does have alot of camps) Soccer, hockey, basketball and baseball however continue to balance club and high school for up to 9-12 months a year. The kids then are really forced to concentrate on one.

It really has alot less to do with "getting laid" as much as choosing the sport you want (that want might be friday night lights, but athletes that make the choice for that typically arent going far in either sport). The football programs at high schools in most states arent any bigger in terms of participants than soccer programs (typically 60-100).

The USMNT has been built on physical, athletic players. What they are finally realizing is the game is far more technical and tactical and got not be influenced consistently by these types of players. They need to develop skillful, innovative, creative, etheral players, not just athletic ones.

Our youth system as it stands now is in a crossroads between development and fighting for the resources to keep it going. the duplicity is stunting its growth.

its little to do with the athletes that choose to play soccer and more with the way in which they are coached... sadly


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
peachesenregalia wrote:
toadie_uk wrote:
Pardon me for disliking racists...


shelve it, twat.


And now I see why you like scum like him... birds of a feather and all that

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
toadie_uk wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
toadie_uk wrote:
Pardon me for disliking racists...


shelve it, twat.


And now I see why you like scum like him... birds of a feather and all that


Did Suarez say something bad on the pitch? Most likely. Is Evra a bitch? Definitely. Do you really think that any of what is said is really all that worse than on a football pitch close to 100 times in all sorts of languages and dialects? Probably not.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:31 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
I have only said that I dislike him because of his racist comments and then responded to being called a twat, I don't need a lesson in football etiquette, I've been on enough pitches in my time and I'd never put up with racist language anywhere.

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
toadie_uk wrote:
I have only said that I dislike him because of his racist comments and then responded to being called a twat, I don't need a lesson in football etiquette, I've been on enough pitches in my time and I'd never put up with racist language anywhere.


Look toadie. You're entitled to your opinion... but even Evar said Suarez wasn't a racist. The comments were blown way out of proportion. And in my mind suarez became a scapegoat of the FA. Terry actually used the "n" word and served a suspension half as long. Its a sensitive topic with liverpool fans.

Now, suarez is a villain... like Rodman, or even our own Sherman. He's a fantastic, beautifal, arrogant and nasty footballer. He's violent and dirty, and graceful at the same time. He's also donated hours of his time and millions of his dollars to helping those less fortunate.

So careful labeling someone a racists because he got into an argument with some whiney little twat on% of the world didn't think the comments were racist, but England does. Makes you wonder where the racism truly lies


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:11 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
You make some interesting points... I disagree on the whole but see your point... now could we not have done this without dismissing me with a 'grow-up' or name-calling like peaches?

P.S RE: Terry - I concur entirely but that doesn't really affect my opinion on Suarez

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
Toadie, you started out with a snide remark. You're unlikely to get pleasant discourse with that.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
toadie_uk wrote:
You make some interesting points... I disagree on the whole but see your point... now could we not have done this without dismissing me with a 'grow-up' or name-calling like peaches?

P.S RE: Terry - I concur entirely but that doesn't really affect my opinion on Suarez


I find labelling Suarez a "racist" to be immature and simplistic is all. Not just by you, but by the whole of football. The way he has been treated in england is deplorable.

Its cool you disagree.I don't blame you. Suarez is that type of player... polarizing.

You haven't said much on who you support.... Leeds? Always need more fans on the board


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:50 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
I'm at Uni in Leeds and work for Leeds United but my heart belongs to Bolton! Peaches - there's a difference between a short, if slightly disparaging comment and calling someone a twat... We're all #12s here and I don't expect to be sworn at for raising an opinion

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:04 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
toadie_uk wrote:
I'm at Uni in Leeds and work for Leeds United but my heart belongs to Bolton! Peaches - there's a difference between a short, if slightly disparaging comment and calling someone a twat... We're all #12s here and I don't expect to be sworn at for raising an opinion


Racist is a pretty strong term. A bit more than slightly disparaging. You can undertsand that I'm sure.

Some big changes at Leeds these days no? and Bolton huh? What's the thoughts over there on the return of Stuart Holden? I know he's on loan right now but are they interested in his return?

(I feel like we can all agree to call Johnny Evans a few slightly disparaging things)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:23 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
Yes but my comments were aimed at a celebrity pro footballer, his were aimed at me... That's not equal

Funnily enough I was chatting with Stuart Holden today because Leeds played Sheff Wednesday and I was working.
Says he'll be fully fit for the playoffs with Bolton with makes me happy... It's no coincidence our downturn in fortune came after that prick Evans screwed him up.

Things are looking up at LUFC too McDermott seems to have his head screwed on the right way

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:34 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
Soo... biting?!

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
I'll be the first to say it...

indefensible. disgraceful. let us all down today. I don't know if I should laugh or just bury my head in my hands. Brilliant assist, a little gnaw, and then a 96th minute equalizer

this may have been his last game in Liverpool red (and that would suck)

Game pretty much incapsulates our season. Domination, self destruction, salvation.. all in one game.

F--- it... atleast noones talking about rafa


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
Suarez......God dammit...


Inexcusable. What a twat. He's an amazing footballer, but he's mental.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 409
In Suarez I still trust. Pretty shitty thing to do, but he isn't going to be sacked. Last of him this year, and probably for a few to start next year as well I feel.

Our path to champions league football still runs through him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luis Suarez
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 126
In other news... Mike Tyson followed him on Twitter after the incident there's some good dark humour out there

_________________
Seahawk from across the pond! Undersized CB for the Leeds Celtics


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ilikeseahawks, VivaEfrenHerrera and 7 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.