Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • JSeahawks wrote:So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

    Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

    Since most of you are Sounders fans, let me ask this way: If its not the Sounders, who do you think will come out of the west?



    Sounders Beats Colorado
    Houston Beats Montreal

    RSL Beats LA
    Seattle Beats Portland on PK's (this series is going to be intense, and brutal, and will make national headlines in the sports community)
    New York beats Houston
    KC Beats New England

    Seattle Beats RSL
    KC Beats New York

    Seattle Beats KC
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • So, You all want to talk line-ups for tomorrow?


    Oba is 90% certain to be out.
    Leo should be back.

    That said...this is my line-up:

    ----------------Gspurning---------------
    Yedlin------Hurtado-------Traore---Leo
    ----------------Alonso---------------
    ----Rosales-------------------Evans----
    ---------------Dempsey----------------
    --------EJ----------------Neagle-------

    If Leo doesn't go, Burch will be back there.

    If Leo can go...you can be DAMN sure that you'll see Burch as a sub to close this game out...I suspect for Neagle at about 65-80.

    Rosales will probably play 75ish minutes....unless things arent going well. Then he'll go 90.

    You'll probably also see Rose and or Moffat as additional subs for defensive reasons.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • My biggest issue with Sigi isn't even his lineup & substitution decisions, although they do leave a lot to be desired at times, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have complete control of the team. Several times this season players were acting out of control, on the pitch & off, and Sigi was nowhere around. And the fact that it carried on throughout the season showed me that he wasn't doing much to address it or change it.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6525
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • JSeahawks wrote:So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

    Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

    who do you think will come out of the west?


    Smart money's probably on LA. They could give a damn about the regular season, it seems.

    My head tells me RSL's the biggest threat to win the west, though. They're what the Timbers want to be.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15453
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • SeatownJay wrote:My biggest issue with Sigi isn't even his lineup & substitution decisions, although they do leave a lot to be desired at times, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have complete control of the team. Several times this season players were acting out of control, on the pitch & off, and Sigi was nowhere around. And the fact that it carried on throughout the season showed me that he wasn't doing much to address it or change it.



    I really disagree with this assessment.

    When a player has an outburst (Oba's sub, EJ's Pay me) he doesn't deal with it on the spot. He lets them have the moment. Then takes care of the situation behind closed doors.

    He is very much in command of this team.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Last post before late-late tonight. Enjoy the match lads!

    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • EDIT: nvm
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1680
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Wow, what a wild match! Go Sounders!
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1680
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Good all round performance by the Sounders. Gspurning really let his team mates down though, what was he thinking? Chest it, header it, do whatever. I think the ref would only have booked him if he hadn't shoved the Colorado player as well, kind of forced his hand. Bring on Portland. When is Martins back? Is his season over?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 279
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Yeah, not sure what was going through Gspurning's head there. Luckily EJ made it irrelevant.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1680
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Gspurning just f'ed up....


    Thats a keeper with no confidence. He also had a moment earlier when he spilled the ball in the box. He should have just punched it clear. He nearly did us in tonight.


    It's a very good thing that the difference in quality between our #1 and #2 keepers is a small one. I have total faith in Marcus to get the job done.


    Martins failed to make the 18 tonight.....again. He's missed 7 of the last 8. I would home he is on the mend and coming back. Saturday is a short turn around again, I would put him at 40% chance of playing, with a larger chance for playing the second leg.


    One thing to keep an eye on during this series is yellow card accumulation. Guys that picked one up tonight are in danger of missing the second leg if they pick another one up on Saturday (EJ, Ozzie, Looking at you).

    Not the best game they've ever played, but we are turning the corner, and at the right time.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • That was a bit better... dominant defending basically throughout. a nice pacey, creative attack. Only concern would have been the lack of finishing.

    Marcus will be fine in net. May not give the spot back to be honest
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I think getting a fairly comfortable win after a poor streak could be huge for the Sounders. Gives them a lot more confidence. Dempsey is starting to play like the player everyone thought he was. I wonder if Rosales is being rested for Saturday. Is Yedlin okay?

    I think the Sounders need to win at least 2-0 on Saturday to take to Portland if they are to go through.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 279
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I think getting a fairly comfortable win after a poor streak could be huge for the Sounders. Gives them a lot more confidence. Dempsey is starting to play like the player everyone thought he was. I wonder if Rosales is being rested for Saturday. Is Yedlin okay?

    I think the Sounders need to win at least 2-0 on Saturday to take to Portland if they are to go through.

    Even a 1-0 victory would be suffice. Portland is not the most dynamic attacking team, so getting a lead going into the second leg puts a lot of pressure on a team with very little playoff experience.

    If Yedlins out, it has to be Rosales at RM right?
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • They won!!! Almost gave it away in the end but EJ struck again late. They should keep Brad Evans at Right back. The USMNT did and he played well. He should be Yedlin's replacement. What's the word on Yedlin's injury?
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3811
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

    Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

    I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.


    This is going to be fun.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

    Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

    I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.


    This is going to be fun.


    Pfft don't put Scott at RB. He's too slow! It has to be Evans and Rosales at RM.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 279
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

    Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

    I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.


    This is going to be fun.


    Pfft don't put Scott at RB. He's too slow! It has to be Evans and Rosales at RM.



    Rosales gives you very little in the form of defensive cover. In that instance you are really looking at 4 defenders, 2 mids, and 4 attackers.

    In our new diamond formation that is simply not going to work. Rosales is going to have to defend. All match, and hard. I have a tough time seeing him start the match.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Yedlin appears to be a game time decision.

    Oba close, but I don't think he's ready yet.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Congratulations to Portland for putting Seattle out of their misery.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6525
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • Timbers!!

    Sucks that the next game is going to be during the Oregon vs Stanford game. Guess I won't be watching.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18609
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • That goal from Ozzie was huge.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1680
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Goal from Ozzie kept us in it. We can win down in Portland.


    Yedlin will be back.

    Oba into the 18 (need for extra-time).

    Neagle suspended for next match.

    Gonzalez and Scott most likely out.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

    Scott was awful tonight. Lamar continues to look lost in the final third.
    Major disappointment.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • knownone wrote:That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

    Scott was awful tonight. Lamar continues to look lost in the final third.
    Major disappointment.



    I really disagree that this was a major disappointment.

    Some bounces didn't go our way. It wasn't our night and we still managed to get away only down a goal on aggregate. This was what we needed. We've never scored in the first leg of a playoff series before....and we've never lost the second leg.

    Picking up a goal here was huge.

    Sure, would we have liked it to be 1-0 going into portland away? Hell yes we would...but the bounces were against us tonight and we are still in this fight. We arent down 4-0, we arent down 3-0. We aren't even down 2-0. It's 2-1.

    1-0 gets us extra time.

    2-0 gets us a win.

    We are still in this, and we played fairly well. Thursday will be our night.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • You're delusional Smurf. There's no way this team wins this round at Portland. That would require them to score at least 3 goals. You know when the last time Seattle scored 3 goals on the road was? Me either, because it never happened this season. In Seattle's lat 10 road games they are 2-7-1 and have been outscored 18-6. That's six goals total in their last ten road games, and now you expect them to score 3 in one game, against one of the best teams in the league? And forget about winning 2-0, Seattle hasn't held a team scoreless on the road since August, and that was a poor Columbus team.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6525
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • Christ on a bike Smurf how is losing at home not a major disappointment?

    I mean I get they finished strong and were a bit unlucky. But those are huge chances wasted. No guarantee Portland comes out and sits for counter the way they did last night
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Sounders are done. They can't protect their home turf. What makes anyone think this current squad can beat the Timbers in Portland? Another quick exit through the playoffs for the Sounders.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3811
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18609
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?


    IIRC, they would play 2 30 min overtime and then shootout.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3811
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • JSeahawks wrote:Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?



    30 minute extra time split into 2 15 minute halves.

    If no winner is determined they will go to penalty kicks.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Argh ... Playoff soccer is so dumb. Aggregate games are so dumb.

    Please get rid of it or stop with the nonsense of one round having aggregate games.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4212
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • Jay, Hawkfan, Knowone, Si...

    Major disappointment is losing the first leg 3-0....again. Major disappointment is losing a US Open Cup Final on the road because your keeper "came off his line" on a PK....

    I know major disappointment. I know what it is. I know what it looks like. I'm a Seattle sports fan for christ sakes.

    Losing the first leg 2-1 is not that. That is an improvement. That is a winnable situation. Ozzie's goal saved this from being a major disappointment. We are in this.

    It's Portland. Road stats are irrelevant. It's a different animal. I would saying the opposite if I was a Caps or a Timbers fan. It's cascadia. Stats are irrelevant. This is pure hatred and emotion. This will be, and forever will be the outlier of statistics. It happens in all derby's in the world. The hot team in the derby doesn't always win. The home team doesn't always win. It's because its a f'ing derby.

    All it takes is 1 moment of brilliance.

    We need our goal, and we are going to go get it.


    Just believe in your team gents.


    Just believe.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • sammyc521 wrote:Argh ... Playoff soccer is so dumb. Aggregate games are so dumb.

    Please get rid of it or stop with the nonsense of one round having aggregate games.




    Yeah, lets just get rid of one of the best parts of the sport. The drama aggregate is one of the best things for a sports fan on this planet. IMO, few things rival it.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Spot on, Smurf.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1680
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Smurf wrote:Jay, Hawkfan, Knowone, Si...

    Major disappointment is losing the first leg 3-0....again. Major disappointment is losing a US Open Cup Final on the road because your keeper "came off his line" on a PK....

    I know major disappointment. I know what it is. I know what it looks like. I'm a Seattle sports fan for christ sakes.

    Losing the first leg 2-1 is not that. That is an improvement. That is a winnable situation. Ozzie's goal saved this from being a major disappointment. We are in this.

    It's Portland. Road stats are irrelevant. It's a different animal. I would saying the opposite if I was a Caps or a Timbers fan. It's cascadia. Stats are irrelevant. This is pure hatred and emotion. This will be, and forever will be the outlier of statistics. It happens in all derby's in the world. The hot team in the derby doesn't always win. The home team doesn't always win. It's because its a f'ing derby.

    All it takes is 1 moment of brilliance.

    We need our goal, and we are going to go get it.


    Just believe in your team gents.


    Just believe.


    Drama queen :)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Smurf wrote:
    knownone wrote:That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

    Scott was awful tonight. Lamar continues to look lost in the final third.
    Major disappointment.



    I really disagree that this was a major disappointment.

    Some bounces didn't go our way. It wasn't our night and we still managed to get away only down a goal on aggregate. This was what we needed. We've never scored in the first leg of a playoff series before....and we've never lost the second leg.

    Picking up a goal here was huge.

    Sure, would we have liked it to be 1-0 going into portland away? Hell yes we would...but the bounces were against us tonight and we are still in this fight. We arent down 4-0, we arent down 3-0. We aren't even down 2-0. It's 2-1.

    1-0 gets us extra time.

    2-0 gets us a win.

    We are still in this, and we played fairly well. Thursday will be our night.

    When you dominate a team and lose 2-1 it's a major disappointment. I'm not doubting the team or saying the series is over, I'm disappointed because we should have won the game.

    In most leagues losing 2-1 at home is a death sentence.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • Smurf wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:Argh ... Playoff soccer is so dumb. Aggregate games are so dumb.

    Please get rid of it or stop with the nonsense of one round having aggregate games.


    Yeah, lets just get rid of one of the best parts of the sport. The drama aggregate is one of the best things for a sports fan on this planet. IMO, few things rival it.

    Why is that every round is not aggregate?

    When was the last time that a team that lead on the road, came back to their home crowd and lost? I honestly am curious.

    Nothing rivals it because there's nothing like it. No sport does a home-home series where it's basically a double-match. It would be like playing 8 quarters (NBA or NFL), 18 innings or 6 periods. If the goal is to give fans an opportunity to watch a home game... why is it not implemented in every round?
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4212
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • sammyc521 wrote:Why is that every round is not aggregate?

    When was the last time that a team that lead on the road, came back to their home crowd and lost? I honestly am curious.

    Nothing rivals it because there's nothing like it. No sport does a home-home series where it's basically a double-match. It would be like playing 8 quarters (NBA or NFL), 18 innings or 6 periods. If the goal is to give fans an opportunity to watch a home game... why is it not implemented in every round?




    First, the MLB and NBA do best of seven series....same concept...cept they are counting wins, not score. I would like to know the aggregate scores of those playoffs. World Series was 27-14 Red Sox (10-5 in 2 game series). NBA finals was 689-684 Heat (195-172 in 2 game series). Stanley Cup was 17-15 (5-5 after 2 game series, 4-4 if you exclude OT). Seems to me like an aggregate system would work in those sports as well.

    Second, I REALLY don't like comparing Soccer to other sports. I Just disagree with the fundamental concept. It doesn't prove anything...It's just different, and that's one of the reasons I like it. That's one of the reasons its special to me. To me, Soccer is Soccer. There isn't anything like it and thats the way i like it.


    Third, Easy. Last year the LA Galaxy lost 0-1 at home to the San Jose Earthquakes and won 3-1 in the away leg.


    Fourth, I don't write the rules for the MLS playoffs. I couldn't tell you why the play-in round is a one off game. I just don't know. I was angered when they added in the knockout round to begin with. More than half of the teams in the league qualify for the playoffs under the new format. That is absurd to me. But its the rules, and that's what we have to live with. I guess they give those fringe teams a 1-game play-in to prove they belong. For example, Houston and Montreal wouldn't have qualified under the 2010 rules. Houston has done pretty well if I'd say so myself...and they usually do. Been to MLS Cup 4 times in the last 6 seasons (2-2). It's what we got, and I am happy we have a playoff system and not just a league table. It's one of the things I enjoy about MLS vs other leagues in the world.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • knownone wrote:When you dominate a team and lose 2-1 it's a major disappointment. I'm not doubting the team or saying the series is over, I'm disappointed because we should have won the game.

    In most leagues losing 2-1 at home is a death sentence.



    My response to that: Its soccer. It happens. Teams dominate and lose all the time, all over the world. Just happened to us in the playoffs, and that sucks. But it is what it is, and we have a chance to right that wrong on Thursday night.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Uncle Si wrote:Drama queen :)



    You know you love me.

    My passion is what sets me apart from some of the rest.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:Why is that every round is not aggregate?

    When was the last time that a team that lead on the road, came back to their home crowd and lost? I honestly am curious.

    Nothing rivals it because there's nothing like it. No sport does a home-home series where it's basically a double-match. It would be like playing 8 quarters (NBA or NFL), 18 innings or 6 periods. If the goal is to give fans an opportunity to watch a home game... why is it not implemented in every round?




    First, the MLB and NBA do best of seven series....same concept...cept they are counting wins, not score. I would like to know the aggregate scores of those playoffs. World Series was 27-14 Red Sox (10-5 in 2 game series). NBA finals was 689-684 Heat (195-172 in 2 game series). Stanley Cup was 17-15 (5-5 after 2 game series, 4-4 if you exclude OT). Seems to me like an aggregate system would work in those sports as well.

    Second, I REALLY don't like comparing Soccer to other sports. I Just disagree with the fundamental concept. It doesn't prove anything...It's just different, and that's one of the reasons I like it. That's one of the reasons its special to me. To me, Soccer is Soccer. There isn't anything like it and thats the way i like it.


    Third, Easy. Last year the LA Galaxy lost 0-1 at home to the San Jose Earthquakes and won 3-1 in the away leg.


    Fourth, I don't write the rules for the MLS playoffs. I couldn't tell you why the play-in round is a one off game. I just don't know. I was angered when they added in the knockout round to begin with. More than half of the teams in the league qualify for the playoffs under the new format. That is absurd to me. But its the rules, and that's what we have to live with. I guess they give those fringe teams a 1-game play-in to prove they belong. For example, Houston and Montreal wouldn't have qualified under the 2010 rules. Houston has done pretty well if I'd say so myself...and they usually do. Been to MLS Cup 4 times in the last 6 seasons (2-2). It's what we got, and I am happy we have a playoff system and not just a league table. It's one of the things I enjoy about MLS vs other leagues in the world.

    Thanks for the reply.

    You can seem to see the blue skies amongst the grey clouds and I commend you for your faith in your team.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4212
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • sammyc521 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

    You can seem to see the blue skies amongst the grey clouds and I commend you for your faith in your team.



    The Bluest Skies you'll ever see, are in seattle.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Image

    It's a Rod Mar photo, so you know it's good.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4212
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • Chelsea friendly from 09 if i'm not mistaken.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • How about that. Houston eliminates the supporters sheild winners, NYRB.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • atleast tonight there wont be any football lines on the field...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Smurf wrote:How about that. Houston eliminates the supporters sheild winners, NYRB.

    Its crazy how Houston always finds a way to win. The Red Bulls thoroughly dominated Houston in both games, yet some how Houston managed to finish the limited chances they were given and won.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • Tonights the night.

    Enjoy it lads.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Yedlin plays. Oba in the 18. Leo out. And Shalrie Joseph at forward......this is going to get interesting....
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4344
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


PreviousNext


It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests