Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Smurf wrote:That they did....and it was awesome.

Awesome? No, it wasn't. Getting a result solely because of referee error isn't awesome, it's weak. I want a team that earns their points on the field. Luckily Keane scored later to give L.A. the result they deserved.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Smurf wrote:That they did....and it was awesome.

Awesome? No, it wasn't. Getting a result solely because of referee error isn't awesome, it's weak. I want a team that earns their points on the field. Luckily Keane scored later to give L.A. the result they deserved.

agreed...

the losing streak may be over, but there is not confidence gained from that game, no momentum to be taken going into the playoffs.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• After seeing LA get call after call and benefiting from ref error I have no problem being on the other end of that.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• It's the way you finish....unfortunately the Sounders didn't get that memo. Because as of recent they are finishing quite horribly. This team has no chemistry, they can't score if Johnson isn't there and even if he is they can't score much, they don't play good defense, probably the most disappointing team in MLS. All the stars but still nothing to show for it. Bad effort, coaching, etc all the way around this year (thus far).

Portland has less talent than the Sounders yet they are a much better team (at least this year). They got rid of their best player, Kenny Cooper, and they got better. Sounders keep signing and trading for these names Martins, Dempsey, Johnson, Moffatt, and then get worse. Seems like the M's curse has hit the Sounders too.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:It's the way you finish....unfortunately the Sounders didn't get that memo. Because as of recent they are finishing quite horribly. This team has no chemistry, they can't score if Johnson isn't there and even if he is they can't score much, they don't play good defense, probably the most disappointing team in MLS. All the stars but still nothing to show for it. Bad effort, coaching, etc all the way around this year (thus far).

Portland has less talent than the Sounders yet they are a much better team (at least this year). They got rid of their best player, Kenny Cooper, and they got better. Sounders keep signing and trading for these names Martins, Dempsey, Johnson, Moffatt, and then get worse. Seems like the M's curse has hit the Sounders too.

its coaching...

Caleb Porter is one of the best young coaches in the United States.. hell he might be THE best.

i would agree that the Sounders have become one of the most disappointing teams in MLS. The playoffs will be telling. If they can make a run, even to the second round, then you could suggest they just hit a rough patch at a bad time. My thought is they started the season the same way they are finishing it. There is quality there and theyve showed they can dominate the league. if they are able to pull the strings and emerge as they team from 2 months ago then anything is possible.

at the moment they are lucky to be even in the playoffs. there are half a dozen teams who are better at the moment whose season has ended. I guess we will see...

Smurf, can you go over the playoff matchups and format again?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:Smurf, can you go over the playoff matchups and format again?

I'm not Smurf, but by virtue of finishing 4th in the Western Conference, Seattle will host Colorado in a play-in game on 10/30. The winner of that match will host Portland on 11/2 in the conference semifinals, then play @ Portland in the second leg of the conference semi-finals at a date to be determined later. L.A. and Real Salt Lake will face off in the other semi-final in the West.

In the East, Houston hosts Montreal in the play-in game, with the winner getting Supporters Shield winners New York. Kansas City & New England play in the second East semi-final.

The conference semis & finals are both home & home matchups with total goals determining the winner. The MLS Cup is a winner-take-all final hosted by the team with the higher seed.

The MLS Cup schedule can be found here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/mlscup/2013/schedule
    Last edited by SeatownJay on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Absolutely,

We play Colorado on Wednesday night in a 1-off play-in game. No away game. Strait up, win and we move on. Lose and we are done. Had we have won over LA we wouldn't even be playing in this game (Bye), and a draw secured us homefield for this match.

In the east Houston will be playing Montreal in Houston. Like us, Montreal was hot in the middle of the year and fell into the playoff's much like we did.

Both of the play-in games will be shown Nationally on NBCSN as well as on local and regional channels (Kong and Root for Sounder fans)

The winner of Colorado/Seattle will play Portland.

The winner of Houston/Montreal will play New York.

The Conference Semi-Finals (aka MLS Cup Quarter Finals, or the last 8) are next. Higher seed, gets home field (means they host second game). Total Aggregate scoring. No Away goals. Don't even think about it. Its strait up Aggregate and the winner moves on. If the teams are tied after both legs, the 2nd game will go into extra time, and then Penalties.

Portland vs Seattle/Colorado - First leg of this game will be played on Saturday at 7:30pm (At the Clink if Sounders win) -Will air on NBCSN
    LA vs RSL - First leg played in Salt Lake, game on Sunday at 6pm - Will air on ESPN

New York vs Houston/Montreal - First leg played on Sunday at 12:30pm. Will air on on NBC
    Sporting KC vs New England - First leg played in KC on Saturday at 5pm. - Will air on NBCSN

Portland holds the high seed in the west.
    New York in the east, and overall.

MLS Cup will be played at higher seeds home ground.

Seeds:
    1. New York
    2. Sporting KC
    3. Portland
    4. RSL
    5. LA
    6. Seattle
    7. New England
    8. Houston
    9. Colorado
    10. Montreal.

Questions?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• injuries and call ups are why Seattle isn't playing well as a team, not the coaching or the transfers.

This one of the few sports where chemistry is everything, how do you develop chemistry when you've started different line ups every game but one?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:injuries and call ups are why Seattle isn't playing well as a team, not the coaching or the transfers.

This one of the few sports where chemistry is everything, how do you develop chemistry when you've started different line ups every game but one?

sure....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    knownone wrote:injuries and call ups are why Seattle isn't playing well as a team, not the coaching or the transfers.

sure....

33 lineups in 34 games.

Just saying...
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    knownone wrote:injuries and call ups are why Seattle isn't playing well as a team, not the coaching or the transfers.

sure....

33 lineups in 34 games.

Just saying...

just excusing....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• not an excuse, its just an interesting fact.

I didn't mean to imply its the reason why our form went to hell. clearly it wasn't a problem until the 28th game of the season.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:not an excuse, its just an interesting fact.

I didn't mean to imply its the reason why our form went to hell. clearly it wasn't a problem until the 28th game of the season.

i'm just being petulant
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:not an excuse, its just an interesting fact.

i'm just being petulant

As usual. :P
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I'm not saying that chemistry is the only problem, our back line is awful against speedy forwards and they've been together all year. It does however explain the lack of goals from the most talented attacking team in MLS.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• Even if they were healthy, Sigi would find a way to screw up the lineup. Some of his decisions with the lineup are befuddling. For one, he plays Andy Rose too much. He pulls out Johnson and puts in Rosales. Just mindboggling at times. I think Smurf posted the ideal lineup a while back, unfortunately with Sigi that would never be. He's find a way to insert a less than ideal one.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

Since most of you are Sounders fans, let me ask this way: If its not the Sounders, who do you think will come out of the west?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• LA probably but Portland are pretty good this year. LA always seem to do just enough to get to the play offs then excel. Same with Houston in the East. The Sounders will choke as per. Maybe not tomorrow but at the weekend if they win.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• hawkfan68 wrote:Even if they were healthy, Sigi would find a way to screw up the lineup. Some of his decisions with the lineup are befuddling. For one, he plays Andy Rose too much. He pulls out Johnson and puts in Rosales. Just mindboggling at times. I think Smurf posted the ideal lineup a while back, unfortunately with Sigi that would never be. He's find a way to insert a less than ideal one.

Not that mind boggling at all.

Andy Rose does one thing very well. He keeps the ball. Sigi uses him when he wants more possession in the midfield and doesn't have a problem kicking the ball around. Sure, you sacrifice a WHOLE bunch of speed and creativity, but you keep the ball. Primary he would play Rose over Carrasco who was more of a defender. Carrasco was a mini-Alonso who wan't half the player Ozzie is. He was better at hitting long balls than ozzie, but thats about it. Rose was favored because he was different. He's a role player for sure, but his place on the squad is warrented.

As for the Johnson substitution you referred too there was a perfect reason for the change, and it was probably one of the smarter subs Sigi has ever made.

1. Rosales didn't start to rest him for the playoffs.
    2. Johnson tweaked his hamstring a few minutes prior to the sub (thats legit too, I saw him pull up slow after a long run from my view in the Brougham End)
    3. Sigi pulled off a minorly injured Johnson, and put his next best attacker on the pitch.
    4. He saved EJ from further injury and he got his next best player on the pitch.

What I Don't agree with was the Andy Rose for Lamar Neagle Substitution. If you want Rose on the pitch, take off Moffat or Evans....at that point we were playing a slew of center mids out of position..

Evans, Alonso, Rose, Moffat....all on the pitch at the same time. The only one of them that has ANY business on the outside of the pitch is Evans. He's proved that much this year. The other 3 though...thats rough. Its no wonder the attack went to crap after that attack, we had no wingers.

That has been the story of the season IMO...inconsistent wing play.

Evans has been servicable...when he's here
    Neagle is better at forward...strait up. His quality, and production drop off dramatically when played outside.
    Burch was forced into duty at left mid...and was out best left mid for a large stretch. That big winning streak we went on? Its partially due to Burch at LM with Gonzales behind him.
    Rosales was Rosales. Healthier than normal this season, but his minutes fell from a 80 minute player to a 55-60 minute player. His production and quality were decent. Less effective without EJ.
    Zakuani was ravaged by injury....again. I think he had 3 appearances before being shut down for the year.
    Martinez couldn't touch the field....when we needed him most he was with his national team...and couldn't earn a spot once he got back....then his contract expired and the club set sights deuce.

Rose, Caskey, Moffat have all been deployed on the wings at verying stages to moderate success. Caskey was a player who has gotten far less time than I would have thought. While he isn't a top 11 player at this club (and never will be), he is a solid 18 guy and should have gotten some time....more than he did.

That was our weakness right there. Out attack floundered, even with EJ, Oba, and Dempsey because we couldn't get consistency from the flanks.

IMO Sigi's tactical choices since Dempsey's arrival have been less than ideal, yet again, his player pool has been diminished as well..

I guess what i'm trying to say is...I get the Sigi hate. I do. I see what you see. I just see it differently. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's had some hard choices to make. Some he's made right. Some he's missed. Some he's made right, and then his players didn't deliver. Its football.

As infuriating as a coach as he is, there's very few that we could get I'd rather have. Very few.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• JSeahawks wrote:So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

Since most of you are Sounders fans, let me ask this way: If its not the Sounders, who do you think will come out of the west?

Sounders Beats Colorado
    Houston Beats Montreal

RSL Beats LA
    Seattle Beats Portland on PK's (this series is going to be intense, and brutal, and will make national headlines in the sports community)
    New York beats Houston
    KC Beats New England

Seattle Beats RSL
    KC Beats New York

Seattle Beats KC
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• So, You all want to talk line-ups for tomorrow?

Oba is 90% certain to be out.
    Leo should be back.

That said...this is my line-up:

----------------Gspurning---------------
    Yedlin------Hurtado-------Traore---Leo
    ----------------Alonso---------------
    ----Rosales-------------------Evans----
    ---------------Dempsey----------------
    --------EJ----------------Neagle-------

If Leo doesn't go, Burch will be back there.

If Leo can go...you can be DAMN sure that you'll see Burch as a sub to close this game out...I suspect for Neagle at about 65-80.

Rosales will probably play 75ish minutes....unless things arent going well. Then he'll go 90.

You'll probably also see Rose and or Moffat as additional subs for defensive reasons.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• My biggest issue with Sigi isn't even his lineup & substitution decisions, although they do leave a lot to be desired at times, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have complete control of the team. Several times this season players were acting out of control, on the pitch & off, and Sigi was nowhere around. And the fact that it carried on throughout the season showed me that he wasn't doing much to address it or change it.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• JSeahawks wrote:So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

who do you think will come out of the west?

Smart money's probably on LA. They could give a damn about the regular season, it seems.

My head tells me RSL's the biggest threat to win the west, though. They're what the Timbers want to be.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• SeatownJay wrote:My biggest issue with Sigi isn't even his lineup & substitution decisions, although they do leave a lot to be desired at times, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have complete control of the team. Several times this season players were acting out of control, on the pitch & off, and Sigi was nowhere around. And the fact that it carried on throughout the season showed me that he wasn't doing much to address it or change it.

I really disagree with this assessment.

When a player has an outburst (Oba's sub, EJ's Pay me) he doesn't deal with it on the spot. He lets them have the moment. Then takes care of the situation behind closed doors.

He is very much in command of this team.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Last post before late-late tonight. Enjoy the match lads!

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• EDIT: nvm
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Wow, what a wild match! Go Sounders!
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Good all round performance by the Sounders. Gspurning really let his team mates down though, what was he thinking? Chest it, header it, do whatever. I think the ref would only have booked him if he hadn't shoved the Colorado player as well, kind of forced his hand. Bring on Portland. When is Martins back? Is his season over?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Yeah, not sure what was going through Gspurning's head there. Luckily EJ made it irrelevant.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Gspurning just f'ed up....

Thats a keeper with no confidence. He also had a moment earlier when he spilled the ball in the box. He should have just punched it clear. He nearly did us in tonight.

It's a very good thing that the difference in quality between our #1 and #2 keepers is a small one. I have total faith in Marcus to get the job done.

Martins failed to make the 18 tonight.....again. He's missed 7 of the last 8. I would home he is on the mend and coming back. Saturday is a short turn around again, I would put him at 40% chance of playing, with a larger chance for playing the second leg.

One thing to keep an eye on during this series is yellow card accumulation. Guys that picked one up tonight are in danger of missing the second leg if they pick another one up on Saturday (EJ, Ozzie, Looking at you).

Not the best game they've ever played, but we are turning the corner, and at the right time.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• That was a bit better... dominant defending basically throughout. a nice pacey, creative attack. Only concern would have been the lack of finishing.

Marcus will be fine in net. May not give the spot back to be honest
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• I think getting a fairly comfortable win after a poor streak could be huge for the Sounders. Gives them a lot more confidence. Dempsey is starting to play like the player everyone thought he was. I wonder if Rosales is being rested for Saturday. Is Yedlin okay?

I think the Sounders need to win at least 2-0 on Saturday to take to Portland if they are to go through.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I think getting a fairly comfortable win after a poor streak could be huge for the Sounders. Gives them a lot more confidence. Dempsey is starting to play like the player everyone thought he was. I wonder if Rosales is being rested for Saturday. Is Yedlin okay?

I think the Sounders need to win at least 2-0 on Saturday to take to Portland if they are to go through.

Even a 1-0 victory would be suffice. Portland is not the most dynamic attacking team, so getting a lead going into the second leg puts a lot of pressure on a team with very little playoff experience.

If Yedlins out, it has to be Rosales at RM right?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• They won!!! Almost gave it away in the end but EJ struck again late. They should keep Brad Evans at Right back. The USMNT did and he played well. He should be Yedlin's replacement. What's the word on Yedlin's injury?
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.

This is going to be fun.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.

This is going to be fun.

Pfft don't put Scott at RB. He's too slow! It has to be Evans and Rosales at RM.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

This is going to be fun.

Pfft don't put Scott at RB. He's too slow! It has to be Evans and Rosales at RM.

Rosales gives you very little in the form of defensive cover. In that instance you are really looking at 4 defenders, 2 mids, and 4 attackers.

In our new diamond formation that is simply not going to work. Rosales is going to have to defend. All match, and hard. I have a tough time seeing him start the match.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Yedlin appears to be a game time decision.

Oba close, but I don't think he's ready yet.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Congratulations to Portland for putting Seattle out of their misery.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Timbers!!

Sucks that the next game is going to be during the Oregon vs Stanford game. Guess I won't be watching.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• That goal from Ozzie was huge.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Goal from Ozzie kept us in it. We can win down in Portland.

Yedlin will be back.

Oba into the 18 (need for extra-time).

Neagle suspended for next match.

Gonzalez and Scott most likely out.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

Scott was awful tonight. Lamar continues to look lost in the final third.
    Major disappointment.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

Scott was awful tonight. Lamar continues to look lost in the final third.
    Major disappointment.

I really disagree that this was a major disappointment.

Some bounces didn't go our way. It wasn't our night and we still managed to get away only down a goal on aggregate. This was what we needed. We've never scored in the first leg of a playoff series before....and we've never lost the second leg.

Picking up a goal here was huge.

Sure, would we have liked it to be 1-0 going into portland away? Hell yes we would...but the bounces were against us tonight and we are still in this fight. We arent down 4-0, we arent down 3-0. We aren't even down 2-0. It's 2-1.

1-0 gets us extra time.

2-0 gets us a win.

We are still in this, and we played fairly well. Thursday will be our night.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• You're delusional Smurf. There's no way this team wins this round at Portland. That would require them to score at least 3 goals. You know when the last time Seattle scored 3 goals on the road was? Me either, because it never happened this season. In Seattle's lat 10 road games they are 2-7-1 and have been outscored 18-6. That's six goals total in their last ten road games, and now you expect them to score 3 in one game, against one of the best teams in the league? And forget about winning 2-0, Seattle hasn't held a team scoreless on the road since August, and that was a poor Columbus team.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Christ on a bike Smurf how is losing at home not a major disappointment?

I mean I get they finished strong and were a bit unlucky. But those are huge chances wasted. No guarantee Portland comes out and sits for counter the way they did last night
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Sounders are done. They can't protect their home turf. What makes anyone think this current squad can beat the Timbers in Portland? Another quick exit through the playoffs for the Sounders.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?

IIRC, they would play 2 30 min overtime and then shootout.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information