Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Sounders Season Thread
Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 pm
  • That was probably the most ridiculous red card I have ever seen. Hopefully there is some sort od repercussion against the referee for that poor call.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am
  • Salazar with a bad call...you don't say....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:12 am
  • Smurf wrote:Salazar with a bad call...you don't say....

thats a ref simply waiting to find a reason for a red card.... which makes him a poor ref
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:41 am
  • MLS needs to fine or suspend for this to reign him in a bit. The announcers mentioned that he has already disqualified at least five Sounders already this season. As a Sounders fan this upsets me. As a soccer fan this infuriates me. There was no malice in Martins movements yet the referee treats him like Suh.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 am
  • Yeah, that red card was nonsense.

How about the own goal? Haha, that was probably the greatest I've ever seen.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:
    How about the own goal? Haha, that was probably the greatest I've ever seen.

I would have agreed with you had I not just finished watching the US vs. Germany match.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 pm
  • In said game Sounders CM Brad Evans played a marvelous game at RB for the nats. There is talk of him starting our next qualifier....which would be awesome.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:19 pm
  • Smurf wrote:In said game Sounders CM Brad Evans played a marvelous game at RB for the nats. There is talk of him starting our next qualifier....which would be awesome.

Agreed. Evans played outrageously well in today's match against the Germans.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 am
  • Good win by the Sounders despite the terrible red card call. We need to be more consistent!!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 pm
  • We need players. Should hold open tryouts for the game against the whitecaps. What is that ... 6 starters we'll be without:

Johnson, Martins, Alonso, Evans, Martinez, who am I missing.

(is Rosales still out?) (is Yedlin on U-23 duty?

Goodness let's play 11 defenders and hope for the best
    rightbench
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:24 pm
  • Martin's suspension was over turned so he will play.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Martin's suspension was over turned so he will play.

Fantastic! I hope the official was at least given a stern word.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:46 am
  • well done to Brad Evans
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 am
  • I love me some brad Evans. Going to get a hero's welcome Tuesday.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Great to see Brad Evans making an impact on USNT. US and Panama game is going to be pivotal in the World cup qualifiers. Whoever wins has an inside track. Should be exciting.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 pm
  • Great victory by the Sounders this eveving. Showed some moxie to come back for a postive result.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:20 pm
  • Fredy Montero is reportedly on his way to Portugal to join Sporting Lisbon.....who are calling him the next Falcao.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Fredy Montero is reportedly on his way to Portugal to join Sporting Lisbon.....who are calling him the next Falcao.

He couldn't lace Falcao's boots lol. I don't think he has been missed too much this season. Neagle, Martins and Johnson have done well when Neagle plays with one of Martins/Johnson.

Midfield has been our problem. Mainly due to Alonso being injured.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:37 pm
  • Just got back from the Vancouver game. That was ugly all around, at least from what I saw. Then I read Sigi's comments who said he thought the team played well. Maybe I missed something from the stands? Perhaps I had a one track focus at my despise of Shalrie Joseph?

Also, I think that was our first loss in Vancouver, it was interesting to see how differently the fans finally treated us visitors. I've been there for all 3 away games now. I don't care that I get some grief wearing sounders colors in enemy territory, but it had a Portland'ish type feel to this game after, which was probably deserved after the way ECS was acting in there. Just a weird vibe all night, from the usual General Admission/Assigned seat drama, to ECS getting in the faces and screaming at other fans for not cheering (sorry, I paid to watch the game and do what I want there, so to the guy who got about 2 inches from my face calling me a PU**** for not supporting my team, screw you.) to being held extra long in the stadium. Just wasn't quite the same experience. But, hats off to Vancouver and especially the GK, some nice saves for sure.
    Casper
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:27 pm
  • Sounders are terrible in set pieces this year. I haven't seen any improvement from game 1 this year in that regard. Also their defense is extremely inconsistent. One game they are lights out, the next....well, terrible seems to be too good of word to describe it.

I believe this is the worst I've seen Schmid manage the team since he's been here. He needs to stop changing the lineup each game. He needs to let his A-players start and play. Joseph is slow and to boot awful. He needs to plant his arse on the bench and keep him there. Hopefully Alonso comes back soon. Team is much different with him in there.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 am
  • Hey man it's simple, no Alonso equals no organization in the midfield. Joseph is done and I'd be shocked if he is on the team by years end. It was so bad in that game that Oba was running back past the midfield to get the ball to start the attack. Or when he would get the ball in last third he would fire aimlessly in order to get a chance on goal. This team has two great (for MLS) strikers but our piss-poor midfield and lackluster back line will continue to cost us victories. That Vancouver game was brutal to watch because we were the better team, just too many mistakes in midfield and defense. Here's to hoping our key guys get healthy and we make some moves or this season is done for.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 pm
  • Montero's move is complete. Nearly a $3 million dollar deal.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm
  • According to Seattle Times article, http://seattletimes.com/html/sounders/2021384103_sounders13xml.html, as many as 8 Sounders players are expected to be unavailable for tonight's game at San Jose. For a team that has played the least amount of MLS games, the Sounders sure have a lot of hurt players.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 pm
  • 3 more hurt tonight...

tough gritty loss tonight...ridiculously physical game.

Playoff Hopes are beginning to dwindle quick.

Sigi seat is starting to get a little hotter and hotter.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm
  • Gspurning may have had his arm broken last night my Lenhart...and if thats the case the season is most definitely lost. He is a big reason why I still think we have a chance this season.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Sounders twitter account has announced that Freddy Montero has signed with Sporting Lisbon on loan.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:37 pm
  • Lenhart is a piece of shiz. Guys like him are the reason that the MLS is still not reaching its potential. D-bags that play like him and the way Mullin does are the epitome of crappy American soccer and why they need to just go away or go play in that semi-pro SoCal league that is full of ex MLS players, ex US National team players, and really talented 15 year olds who are looking for a shot at playing professionally. Scouts watch the league, and that's where a guy like Lenhart belongs. He's like the softball ringers I played with for years. If you can't beat them, cheat them. I've never wished injury on anybody, as I've been down that road. But one of these days, the way Lenhart plays is going to backfire on him, and I don't think a lot of people will be shedding any tears.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:20 am
  • So whats the deal with Zakuani? All I remember was that they found a 'minor issue' in a blood test and he would be fine. Now he's been out for ages. I think he's finished as a Sounder/MLS player which sucks as he had promise before the leg break.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 pm
  • Sports Hernia Surgery for Zak. He'll return to practice in 2-3 weeks.

Also, Striker Sammy Ochoa was waived.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am
  • Nothing more as if late.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:34 am
  • So, Clint Dempsey update aside (which I still can't believe), I wanted a to drop a little nugget here.

The Sounders have 3 games in hand on the league leaders (and most everyone else)....if we win those 3 games, and earn the full 9 points, we jump TO THE TOP of the league and will lead the race for the supporters shield. Dempsey came at just the right time.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Well the Dempsey era begun nicely with a solid win last night. Yes, Dempsey didn't play but it seemed he had an impact on the rest of the team.

By the way, I've never seen so many average players act like complete jerks. I'm talking about FC Dallas players - specifically Blas Perez and Ferriera. However, I'm glad the Sounders kept their composure and didn't allow them to get unnecessary red cards. Although the ref should have done a better job in keeping those blowfarts in check.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:34 pm
  • This signing seems to have really rejuvenated the team. Great performance last night. Lets get climbing up the table now. If we won the supporters shield this would be the definitive roller coaster season. Wonder who our next DP will be at the end of the season if Rosales leaves/downgrades.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:This signing seems to have really rejuvenated the team. Great performance last night. Lets get climbing up the table now. If we won the supporters shield this would be the definitive roller coaster season. Wonder who our next DP will be at the end of the season if Rosales leaves/downgrades.

I would like to see us get a centre-back. It would be nice to put a quality player right beside Djimi Traore. For whatever reason, and call me crazy, but I'm not really sold on JKH anymore. I would love it if our back line included the combination of Djimi - [DP] - Yedlin. If that doesn't work, than someone on the opposite side of Yedlin would fit well.
    Dren
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:34 pm
  • Don't get in the mindset of having a new DP coming in soon. Once Mauro is gone I fully expect Ozzie to be given DP money.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:28 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Don't get in the mindset of having a new DP coming in soon. Once Mauro is gone I fully expect Ozzie to be given DP money.
    I don't see Oz demanding that kind of pay raise. He's making 210,000 this year, they can easily bump that to 350,000 while staying under the DP minimum.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Don't get in the mindset of having a new DP coming in soon. Once Mauro is gone I fully expect Ozzie to be given DP money.

I see EJ wanting a contract upgrade. Would like a central defender myself, not a fan of either Traore or JKH.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 am
  • knownone wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Don't get in the mindset of having a new DP coming in soon. Once Mauro is gone I fully expect Ozzie to be given DP money.
    I don't see Oz demanding that kind of pay raise. He's making 210,000 this year, they can easily bump that to 350,000 while staying under the DP minimum.

That's a decent point, but I would rather make Ozzie a DP and lock him for a long time, while giving EJ the 350,00 kind of money. Ozzie has been the heart of this team since the start. We simply arent the same without him, and he deserves to be compensated for that.

Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Don't get in the mindset of having a new DP coming in soon. Once Mauro is gone I fully expect Ozzie to be given DP money.

I see EJ wanting a contract upgrade. Would like a central defender myself, not a fan of either Traore or JKH.

Traore is exactly what I thought he would be. A solid defender who makes plays when he can. He actually has some surprising athleticism for his age.

Hurtado has always been a physical defender, and thats why he was a good fit for the league. However he has really never been the same since he tore his ACL. I expect a little bit more from him.

EJ has already asked for a new contract via twitter (or implied that there is food to be had and he's starving). Oba recently tweeted that he felt EJ deserved a new contract....so I assume those discussions are well underway....or perhaps not. I think some of his on field body language may indicate his unhappiness with his contract....for example, his yellow for time wasting last week. The ref asked him to leave the pitch to the goal side to get the game going again...EJ ignored the request and walked to the sideline as usual. Again...he WALKED the whole distance....we had a 2-0 lead....and he didn't shake Sigi's hand...

That has me nervous...all of that does. EJ deserves a new contract yes, but he needs to stop whining about it.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:46 pm
  • Compensation numbers game out today: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/August% ... 20Club.pdf

Of note: Dempsey contract less than what originally reported.

SEA Alonso Osvaldo M $ 210,000.00 $ 210,000.00
    SEA Bates Will F $ 35,125.00 $ 35,125.00
    SEA Burch Marc D $ 75,000.00 $ 75,000.00
    SEA Carrasco Servando M $ 46,500.00 $ 46,500.00
    SEA Caskey Alex M $ 46,500.00 $ 46,500.00
    SEA Dempsey Clint F $ 4,913,004.00 $ 5,038,566.50
    SEA Estrada David F $ 48,400.00 $ 48,400.00
    SEA Evans Brad F $ 167,296.00 $ 181,046.00
    SEA Ford Josh GK $ 46,500.00 $ 46,500.00
    SEA Gonzalez Leonardo D $ 135,000.00 $ 135,000.00
    SEA Gspurning Michael GK $ 210,000.00 $ 285,000.00
    SEA Hahnemann Marcus GK $ 60,000.00 $ 60,000.00
    SEA Hurtado Jhon Kennedy D $ 190,000.00 $ 190,000.00
    SEA Ianni Patrick D $ 150,000.00 $ 150,000.00
    SEA Johnson Eddie F $ 150,000.00 $ 156,333.33
    SEA Joseph Shalrie M $ 60,000.00 $ 105,500.00
    SEA Lund Philip M $ 35,125.00 $ 35,125.00
    SEA Martins Obafemi F $ 1,600,000.00 $ 1,725,000.00
    SEA Montero Fredy F $ 700,000.00 $ 856,000.00
    SEA Neagle Lamar M $ 48,400.00 $ 48,400.00
    SEA Remick Dylan D $ 35,125.00 $ 35,125.00
    SEA Rosales Mauro M $ 200,000.00 $ 225,000.00
    SEA Rose Andy M $ 46,500.00 $ 46,500.00
    SEA Scott Zach D $ 50,000.00 $ 50,000.00
    SEA Traore Djimi D $ 120,000.00 $ 120,000.00
    SEA Weber Andrew GK $ 46,500.00 $ 46,500.00
    SEA Yedlin DeAndre D $ 50,000.00 $ 53,500.00
    SEA Zakuani Steve F $ 135,000.00 $ 233,000.00
    SEA Zavaleta Eriq F $ 65,000.00 $ 95,600.00
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:39 pm
  • Portland doesn't have a stadium that can hold 66,000+ fans. On a bad day, the Sounders have a bigger crowd than Portland does on their best day. It's not even close. That sealed where Dempsey wanted to play. Also having his best friend on the team didn't hurt either.

http://mlsattendance.blogspot.com/.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 pm
  • Well, this signing worked on me, at least. I'm watching this match to see what all the fuss is about. I hope Dempsey comes in as a sub at some point.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:39 pm
  • Dempsey came in after 30 minutes due to an injury to Oba Martins. He was fantastic. The quality he has is great for this team. He can hold the ball up and he played some wonderful passes. Took some chances with shots, forcing a lot of blocks, and a great save by the Toronto keeper. He was unlucky not to score.

He will score goals for this team, and gather assists as well. Amazing signing.

Also, Mauro Rosales...as much as I love him for what he's done for this club in the past, is not at the top of his game...or anywhere close to it. He is so far out of form i'm surprised he didn't miss the tap-in half volley form 3 yards out that was our first goal. He's lost a step, and an ounce of quality along the way. Great player for the club, but his time is coming to an end.

Also...Defense in the second half was horrid....just awful...Hahnemann kept us in that game.

The Sounders are back up into the playoff picture BTW....4 points out of first.

Also, we are undefeated in the last 40 games when we score first.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 am
  • Great 1st half. Don't know what happened in the 2nd half but it was awful. A complete 180 from the 1st half play. Dempsey was only the highlight of the second half. My worry is the players are going to stand around and watch Dempsey do his thing instead of running to the box, etc. They need to start hustling to help Dempsey out. No one in the league creates shots better than Dempsey.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 am
  • Smurf wrote:Also, Mauro Rosales...as much as I love him for what he's done for this club in the past, is not at the top of his game...or anywhere close to it. He is so far out of form i'm surprised he didn't miss the tap-in half volley form 3 yards out that was our first goal. He's lost a step, and an ounce of quality along the way. Great player for the club, but his time is coming to an end.

I really hate to agree with this seeing how he leads the club in games played and assists, but you're right. I think the general consensus is that this will be his last year with the club.
    Dren
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 am
  • Well now that they got Dempsey, the Sounders decided they don't need any defense. What a pathetic showing yesterday. The Sounders are average at best on defense on a good day. Just awful.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:12 am
  • Mauro let us down a bit last night, and Joseph and Alonso don't quite know how to play together...and Ianni was horrid...and Traore was too aggressive...and

just bad game. just bad.

Have to move past it...Portland week now. 67,000, Dempsey's home debut, CASCADIA.

Also, yall see that Fredy Montero netted a hat-trick in his league debut for Sporting Lisbon.

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 pm
  • Seattle's lucky not to be down a goal or two tonight. Their passing has been horrid and they've been caught multiple times on the counter by Portland.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:32 pm
  • And right after I post that Zigi subs in Rosales for Joseph (as an aside, if Mauro is healthy enough to play why wasn't he starting?) and Mauro assists on a set piece header by E.J.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:26 am
  • From a tactical stand point the Sounders looked absolutely lost without Mauro.
    It bothers me that Sigi hasn't figured out a away to punish teams for crowding the middle of the final third. We rely far to much on the inconsistent service of Yedlin and Neagle, it's mind boggling. The strength of our team is right down the middle and we need to start getting those guys the ball in dangerous areas, maybe it's time to switch Neagle and Burch or put Dempsey out wide and allow him to roam, especially if Mauro isn't starting.

I feel odd saying this but we absolutely need a creative mid fielder if Mauro leaves at the end of the season, He is the catalyst for our counter attack and one the few player we have capable of giving consistent service into the box.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information