Justin Upton invokes no trade clause, rejects M's deal

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Props to the Mariners for trying their best to try and improve. Can't make players play here if they don't wanna.

chris98251

Reaction score
True but it's the stupidity of ownership and death of a career when someone comes here that now is what a player is looking at.

Seaman

Reaction score
In b4 DohBoy! I'm dreading some of your guys' responses, because many of you are going to burst my bubble that this still may happen...

OP
OP
pinksheets

pinksheets

Reaction score
Seaman":l9hsf3ae said:
In b4 DohBoy! I'm dreading some of your guys' responses, because many of you are going to burst my bubble that this still may happen...
It might.

Shannon Drayer says it was a deal for Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor, Nick Franklin and one of the Big 3. She also made a good point that this is the deal that Zona decided was the best fit and the best value for them, so they're not going to want to give up on it anymore than the M's. No trade clauses tend to be more about leverage, so we'll see!

Superbowl, Sonics, and Upton. That'd be a hell of a start to the year.

jkitsune

Reaction score
wow, two relievers, Franklin, and a pitching prospect? I'd take that. Hate to give up Franklin, but in a package for Upton it's fine.

Also, a lot of players really don't want to come to Seattle for a variety of reason. If we were a great team it'd relieve some of the pressure, but many of these players are east coast or southeast guys natively.

OP
OP
pinksheets

pinksheets

Reaction score
Rosenthal doesn't like it nor does his source. Rumor is that the one of the Big 3 was Walker, which would make this deal understandably shakier for the M's and Jack Z.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Upton rejected deal, and by doing so, one source said, "saved Jack Z's job." Package from #Mariners to #DBacks first reported by @ScottMCBS.

Seaman

Reaction score
I hope I was clear enough... I really want this to happen! I can't remember a no trade clause waived by a power hitter headed to a pitcher's park, though. And if all those things happened, we would never forget this year for the rest of our lives! Haha I'm already not ever going to forget about RW's rookie success!!

jkitsune

Reaction score
pinksheets":24uj5tq6 said:
Rosenthal doesn't like it nor does his source. Rumor is that the one of the Big 3 was Walker, which would make this deal understandably shakier for the M's and Jack Z.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Upton rejected deal, and by doing so, one source said, "saved Jack Z's job." Package from #Mariners to #DBacks first reported by @ScottMCBS.

Shakier, yes, but we'd have said that about Pineda once upon a time. I'd rather the pitcher be Paxton, but you just never know.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I give zero props to the M's. no one wants to play for them due to being last place more often than not, setting records for offensive ineptitude. Why would anyone want to come here? The only way to make it happen is sign and overpay for some frontline players to show you are serious. The front office got the team into this mess not the fans.

Signing former players for a last go round the track is just to get fans in the seats. Until they M's show me a real change I won't attend games.

HawksFan83

Reaction score
Him invoking his no trade clause is just grounds for him to get something more out of the deal, In AZ's eyes the Mariners are the "best fit" for their situation.

As far as the pieces go, It hurts a little to lose Nick Franklin but he projects as a 2nd Baseman, but of course Ackley is there, and losing two relievers is not as bad as everything might think. Yes stephen Pryor is good who can throw 100mph but we also have Carter Capps who can do the same exact thing.

As for the Big 3, I keep Walker out of the 3.

Its all on Upton, AZ is basically gonna tell him, "if you want out, your going to seattle" and either he accepts or he sits in AZ and plays till he figures out his drama.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Probably a good thing this trade doesn't happen. Upton is not the bat we should trade that type of offer for. Now I understand that it was a 4 for 2 trade and we don't know who the other player was we were getting in return, but trading Walker is a tough pill to swallow. Had it been Paxton in the deal, then I'd be bummed Upton said no. But since it was Walker, thanks Upton.

I just hope the Mariners aren't trying to negotiate with Upton to get him to change his mind. Save the prospects and go after Stanton next year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1ylzbt6h said:
I give zero props to the M's. no one wants to play for them due to being last place more often than not, setting records for offensive ineptitude. Why would anyone want to come here? The only way to make it happen is sign and overpay for some frontline players to show you are serious. The front office got the team into this mess not the fans.

Signing former players for a last go round the track is just to get fans in the seats. Until they M's show me a real change I won't attend games.
No one cares if you don't attend games. And your reasons as why the Mariners on his NTC are completely wrong.

Overpaying for players would be a horrible idea.

OP
OP
pinksheets

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":ncjo0iv8 said:
Probably a good thing this trade doesn't happen. Upton is not the bat we should trade that type of offer for. Now I understand that it was a 4 for 2 trade and we don't know who the other player was we were getting in return, but trading Walker is a tough pill to swallow. Had it been Paxton in the deal, then I'd be bummed Upton said no. But since it was Walker, thanks Upton.

I just hope the Mariners aren't trying to negotiate with Upton to get him to change his mind. Save the prospects and go after Stanton next year.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but who is that bat we should trade Walker for?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Sorry, but I really rather not do another Bedard trade where we are forced to watch a handful of young players blossom on another team. Walker alone could end up ridiculous. Not saying Upton would be a Bedard level bust at all. And I'm not against trading prospects. But THAT many for just one guy? No thanks.

Latest posts