NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?


    I'm not sure about that but didn't they just give Charlotte a team when they lost their team? Expansion doesn't make sense in the bigger picture unless you add 2 cities. Just adding one creates an unbalance in conferences (one would have more than the other) plus decreases the amount of money each team receives. I think that is the sticking issue, Seattle wants a team but what other city has stepped forward for a team? If there were 2 cities looking for teams then I don't think expansion would be as big issue. I'm surprised that Kansas City or St. Louis hasn't made a push for a NBA team. Both cities had a team before and lost them.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3627
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Wed May 22, 2013 2:12 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?


    I'm not sure about that but didn't they just give Charlotte a team when they lost their team? Expansion doesn't make sense in the bigger picture unless you add 2 cities. Just adding one creates an unbalance in conferences (one would have more than the other) plus decreases the amount of money each team receives. I think that is the sticking issue, Seattle wants a team but what other city has stepped forward for a team? If there were 2 cities looking for teams then I don't think expansion would be as big issue. I'm surprised that Kansas City or St. Louis hasn't made a push for a NBA team. Both cities had a team before and lost them.


    I'm on board you need to to make it work. KC and St Louis obviously haven't pushed for a team or they'd have one. I just think the league is watered down enough.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9207
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Wed May 22, 2013 4:46 pm
  • It takes a bold man to decide to be a huge villain to his home community. Do you think Kohl and Jordan have the audacity to make themselves into a Maloof or Schultz? I think the only way either does that is if they've seriously exhausted all options, which will be years from now, and they may even sell local first and let that owner be the one to sell them off for relocation. Selling to Hansen is a villainous act on its face for any existing owner, because they've literally just sold the team out of town. It's a good way to destroy your reputation, which is why I think it'd take years for every other option to be tried so they can give themselves some cover. I think certainly not within the next couple of years.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 8:17 am
  • I would be uncomfortable swiping the Bucks, honestly. Yeah, it's not a successful franchise, but it's a tenured one, IMO. Who didn't love Terry Cummings (Top Cat!), Glenn Robinson (Big Dog), Michael Redd, or even the greatest Buck ever, Flip Murray?

    C'mon, man, taking the Bucks is plain WRONG.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 am
  • I've never been to Milwaukee, I'd be ok with it.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10123
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:I've never been to Milwaukee, I'd be ok with it.



    That is because the citizens of Sacramento are so broke cannot even afford to stand in the unemployment line.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2221
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 am
  • I can see why the Clippers would want to stay in the LA Market, but that would have to be a team that could consider selling to Hansen and not have a ton of blow-back. Don't know if the current Sterling is the same Donald Sterling who was a brunt of jokes on how badly he ran that team.

    Since they share the Forum, it wouldn't be because of a building that they were leaving. Just some idle thoughts in my pea-brain.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9219
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am
  • pehawk wrote:I would be uncomfortable swiping the Bucks, honestly. Yeah, it's not a successful franchise, but it's a tenured one, IMO. Who didn't love Terry Cummings (Top Cat!), Glenn Robinson (Big Dog), Michael Redd, or even the greatest Buck ever, Flip Murray?

    C'mon, man, taking the Bucks is plain WRONG.

    Can't forget Ray Allen
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7049
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 12:14 pm
  • drdiags wrote:I can see why the Clippers would want to stay in the LA Market, but that would have to be a team that could consider selling to Hansen and not have a ton of blow-back. Don't know if the current Sterling is the same Donald Sterling who was a brunt of jokes on how badly he ran that team.

    Since they share the Forum, it wouldn't be because of a building that they were leaving. Just some idle thoughts in my pea-brain.


    While unlikely, can we still fistbump doc and pass the man a Centrum Silver for this thinking? Yeah, Sterling wouldn't sell, but it's a deal the NBA owners would do, actually. Sterling's a drag on the owners fraternity. And, while losing LA would be tough, the ellure of Hansen/Ballmer and getting Sterling out, would make it passible in committe.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Dreaming about the Bucks and Pacers and Clips are all kind of crazy to me. The NBA just blocked us from moving the Kings, a team that has been passed around like a bong at a frat party, from a city that is a broke garbage dump. Unless Milwaukee or Indianapolis (and their respective states) just throw up their hands and roll over, there is no way either of those teams get moved.

    Hansen should have sued the NBA and forced them to guarantee expansion because at this point, the next path into the NBA for Seattle is probably coming up in about 2035.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 pm
  • Those that think the NBA will be watered down should just stop watching the NFL then also, I mean there are only a hand full of eliete QB's in the league and any other team should just be folded. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and now possibly Wilson. Rest of the teams are watered down at QB and should just sit out till next years draft.

    Thats how everyone looks at the NBA, if Kobe and Lebron or Durant sin't on your team your a faliure and there isn't enough players in the world like them so don't expand the league anymore.

    Bullshit, blame Phil Jackson for the triangle offense and setting up the clear and one on one match upo with a elite player like Jordon or Bryant for this. Team basketball and actually playing defense can win championships. It's lazy coaching and entitled players that need to be changed.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 10673
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Dreaming about the Bucks and Pacers and Clips are all kind of crazy to me. The NBA just blocked us from moving the Kings, a team that has been passed around like a bong at a frat party, from a city that is a broke garbage dump. Unless Milwaukee or Indianapolis (and their respective states) just throw up their hands and roll over, there is no way either of those teams get moved.

    Hansen should have sued the NBA and forced them to guarantee expansion because at this point, the next path into the NBA for Seattle is probably coming up in about 2035.


    You're wrong, actually. The NBA PREFERS markets like Sacramento, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Portland, etc. You know why? Becuase they're the ONLY professional dog in town. I respect your opinion, honest, just make sure its a correct one next time.

    Kay, sweetcheeks?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?


    I'm not sure about that but didn't they just give Charlotte a team when they lost their team? Expansion doesn't make sense in the bigger picture unless you add 2 cities. Just adding one creates an unbalance in conferences (one would have more than the other) plus decreases the amount of money each team receives. I think that is the sticking issue, Seattle wants a team but what other city has stepped forward for a team? If there were 2 cities looking for teams then I don't think expansion would be as big issue. I'm surprised that Kansas City or St. Louis hasn't made a push for a NBA team. Both cities had a team before and lost them.

    There just isn't enough interest in Kansas City all the support is too fractured like City Hall and has too many personal agendas/politics/vendettas to organize into a single united front. St. Louis isn't a basketball town all they care about are the baseball Cardinals. They are similar to Green Bay in that they're not as big as they project. Population wise.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7300
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 2:12 pm
  • wanna thank all you sonic faithful for getting me interested again. Now I am wondering why I would ever give a squirt of piss again??? Really, I see nothing redeeming about the NBA at this point, other than landing an NHL team.

    Dear Mr. Stern.

    My butt, your face.

    Over it.

    GO HAWKS!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1450
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 2:16 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Dreaming about the Bucks and Pacers and Clips are all kind of crazy to me. The NBA just blocked us from moving the Kings, a team that has been passed around like a bong at a frat party, from a city that is a broke garbage dump. Unless Milwaukee or Indianapolis (and their respective states) just throw up their hands and roll over, there is no way either of those teams get moved.

    Hansen should have sued the NBA and forced them to guarantee expansion because at this point, the next path into the NBA for Seattle is probably coming up in about 2035.


    You're wrong, actually. The NBA PREFERS markets like Sacramento, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Portland, etc. You know why? Becuase they're the ONLY professional dog in town. I respect your opinion, honest, just make sure its a correct one next time.

    Kay, sweetcheeks?


    Uh, did you quite mean to quote me? You seem to have gone off the rails there, son.

    I agree with all of that, by the way. It's pretty clear that the NBA wants to be able to hold up these cities that only have one pro team for as much public money as possible. How that conflicts with what I was saying, I'm not sure, and honestly, I don't think you are sure about it either.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Well, actually, the NBA will always be more willing to see the Bucks leave than SacTown, because the Bucks compete for pro sports dollars. The Kings are the only game in town.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 pm
  • drdiags wrote:I can see why the Clippers would want to stay in the LA Market, but that would have to be a team that could consider selling to Hansen and not have a ton of blow-back. Don't know if the current Sterling is the same Donald Sterling who was a brunt of jokes on how badly he ran that team.

    Since they share the Forum, it wouldn't be because of a building that they were leaving. Just some idle thoughts in my pea-brain.



    Not to nick pick but its called Staples and its in downtown LA not Inglewood. Details??? Anywho, Sterling on his deathbed might make that deal and then burn the cash to deprive any offspring the lyxury because he's that big of a douche. Until that day comes the Clips are a big enough cash cow splitting TV revenue in that market that it will never happen. Especially while the Lakers are down.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9207
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 4:54 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Well, actually, the NBA will always be more willing to see the Bucks leave than SacTown, because the Bucks compete for pro sports dollars. The Kings are the only game in town.


    Milwaukee has the Bucks and Brewers. That's it. They are probably about the same level in the NBA's eyes except more entrenched as franchises anyway.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:01 pm
  • You're splitting hairs, they also have the Packers.

    C'mon, sugartits, keep up!
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:13 pm
  • I don't quite agree with your take, pe. It's not that the NBA wants small markets because they are one horse towns. They want small markets that are one horse towns (because they're small markets) because those are the cities they can most hold hostage in exchange for huge public funds. You want to lose your only sports team? You want us to scar your civic pride a bit and head to a "real" city? Oh, we'll do it, bitches.

    It's a horrible business model that I think is unsustainable. It's parasitic, which means moving from city to city, sucking up public money until they're sick of it, then moving onto the next. Eventually you'll run out of reasonable targets or they'll be enough cities say "hell no" that the NBA is going to lose a huge source of cash influx and foundation building (through gifting arenas). They'll have shaky reputations in big markets who make sense simply because of the money and audience in the market, and be stuck in the small towns that don't have the advertising revenues, the spending power, or local economics that can push money into their league through traditional, stable means.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:40 pm
  • Well, Silver is thought of in circles to be a guy who's more for the big time cities as opposed to Stern who was down for the small markets they could bend over.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19137
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:40 pm
  • Well, I think it's both. I believe the original intent leans my way.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:41 pm
  • He's thought to be, but he's also definitely Stern's hand picked successor in a league that is still going to have Stern involved post-retirement. I refuse to get myself too optimistic about Silver beyond him not having the kind of spite for our city that Stern has.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Well, I think it's both. I believe the original intent leans my way.

    Original intent when?

    If it's not about being able to leverage for public subsidy, then it doesn't really make sense. How much more money can you make uncontested in a small market than you can in a large one with other teams? I'd bet, overall, you make less. I really don't think the central idea is to run from competition. It's simply the lack of competition that gives them ultimate power of those smaller host cities. "The only game in town is leaving", etc. Seattle is a larger market than OKC by over 2.5x, obviously there were a lot of variables in that situation, but just comparing the two markets, I don't see anyway that OKC makes a more profitable destination based on lack of competition. It's all about the buildings.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Well, Silver is thought of in circles to be a guy who's more for the big time cities as opposed to Stern who was down for the small markets they could bend over.

    This. Exactly why I think relocation is the way we get a team also. Silver is all about the big markets, so why expand and keep the small markets when some are flailing? Silver might want to play a little musical chairs with Seattle rather expand.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm
  • But then again I ask, which current owner is willing to make himself a villain to his home city/state like Schultz or the Maloofs? Do you really see Kohl or Jordan doing that? I kinda don't.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:06 pm
  • I don't know if it'll be relocation or expansion, I do believe we will have a team in the next 2 years though.

    Milwaukee isn't as easy as people are trying to make it seem, 6 year lease, owner is pretty adamant about not wanting the team to go to an out of towner. Charlotte is about to change their name back to the Hornets, they have a world class arena already, it might just be a case of the Bobcats brand not catching on.

    Who else is there? We aren't getting the Pacers, and they aren't going to move a team from Atlanta to Seattle, Memphis just got a new owner who seems committed to to staying there, Minnesota already said no, I'm running out of teams that would be even remotely possible.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19137
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:17 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I don't know if it'll be relocation or expansion, I do believe we will have a team in the next 2 years though.

    Milwaukee isn't as easy as people are trying to make it seem, 6 year lease, owner is pretty adamant about not wanting the team to go to an out of towner. Charlotte is about to change their name back to the Hornets, they have a world class arena already, it might just be a case of the Bobcats brand not catching on.

    Who else is there? We aren't getting the Pacers, and they aren't going to move a team from Atlanta to Seattle, Memphis just got a new owner who seems committed to to staying there, Minnesota already said no, I'm running out of teams that would be even remotely possible.

    I think the Bucks lease buyout is less than 100 million, which isn't much for HBN. I mean they upped their bid 100 mil and offered 125 million relocation fee. A 100 million buyout is not going to deter HBN.

    Now their owner did buy the Bucks in 85 in order to keep them in Milwaukee. BUT, if Chris Hansen comes to town and offers 525 million for a franchise valued at 312 million...that will get anyone to the table. I think it's the Bucks or the Bobcats. I don't care that they are changing their name, it won't work. They don't care about that team. Hell, they have so many better college basketball teams to watch in Carolina.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 pm
  • pehawk wrote:You're splitting hairs, they also have the Packers.

    C'mon, sugartits, keep up!


    The Packers? A team two hours away from Milwaukee? This post of yours was somehow more terrible than the last.

    Go home, you're drunk.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    pehawk wrote:You're splitting hairs, they also have the Packers.

    C'mon, sugartits, keep up!


    The Packers? A team two hours away from Milwaukee? This post of yours was somehow more terrible than the last.

    Go home, you're drunk.

    Wow 2 hours?? No one would ever drive that far to see an NFL game... :sarcasm_off:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:27 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    pehawk wrote:You're splitting hairs, they also have the Packers.

    C'mon, sugartits, keep up!


    The Packers? A team two hours away from Milwaukee? This post of yours was somehow more terrible than the last.

    Go home, you're drunk.

    Wow 2 hours?? No one would ever drive that far to see an NFL game... :sarcasm_off:


    In that case, let's just adopt the Blazers, a team only a bit farther away from Seattle, as our NBA team! Sarcasm also off and such.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    pehawk wrote:You're splitting hairs, they also have the Packers.

    C'mon, sugartits, keep up!


    The Packers? A team two hours away from Milwaukee? This post of yours was somehow more terrible than the last.

    Go home, you're drunk.

    Wow 2 hours?? No one would ever drive that far to see an NFL game... :sarcasm_off:


    Hmm, I didn't know that. I'll let the rest of Wisconsin know they aren't Packers fans.

    Should we tell Tacoma they're out of the Seahawks fan club?

    And to pink, tomato..tomahto. They can leverage more because they're the only game in town. As I'm sure you can tell by my sunny disposition, I'm a glass half-full guy. I choose to believe the intent was genuine, to start.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 pm
  • Ah ah, the original point was that, like Sacramento, Milwaukee has a small number of teams. The NBA doesn't consider the 49ers direct competition when deciding to keep the Kings in Sacramento. Sacramento, to them, is a one-team town. Likewise, the NBA doesn't consider the Packers as direct competition when trying to hold Milwaukee up for an arena that it probably can't afford. The Brewers, on the other hand, sure, but baseball game attendance is down significantly across the board.

    It's cute how you are trying to make sense, but try to stay on track, kiddo!
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm
  • Wow, did you REALLY just compare Wisonsin and California? Really?

    Okay then...
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Wow, did you REALLY just compare Wisonsin and California? Really?

    Okay then...


    Nah, I compared Milwaukee to Sacramento.

    It's past your bedtime, sweetheart. Go get some rest and see if you can come back and make a reasonable point tomorrow. I'll be rooting for you, little buddy! :D
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 pm
  • There is a point being made. Sacramento sees more support for the 9ers, Raiders, and Giants than the Kings. It's not dissimilar.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 pm
  • Cali being what, the 8th biggest economy in the world, makes it pretty much dissimilar.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:07 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Cali being what, the 8th biggest economy in the world, makes it pretty much dissimilar.

    Your point was that the NBA likes small markets because they are one horse towns with no competition, the point being made is that there is competition, competition they're often losing to. I don't see how the overall California economy pertains to a discussion about specific markets. The benefit of "no competition" in the way you brought up isn't there in Sacramento, the Kings lose out to 3 other sports teams. It fits into what I was saying, in that the "one horse" pertains more heavily to the civic pride of that being "their" team with their city's name on it, which is used in leverage for buildings, not in an advantageous way to avoid competition with other leagues, because they don't avoid it at all.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm
  • They do avoid that though. If they didn't each pro league wouldn't have, what, a minimum of 4 pro teams in the state. California's simply not a good "control" city to compare against, I guess. I do believe that the NBA views Sacramento as a one-horse town, period.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 pm
  • Well it can't be both a "one horse town" to suit your point and then be ignored when looking at nearby competition. If Sacramento is a one horse town when 3 nearby sports teams see larger support, the definition is being stretched to fit specific points, I think. They certainly can't be cited as an example for your point about "competition", then. At that point, being a one horse town would have nothing to do with competing leagues drawing money and interest in a city. Maybe one or two of the other towns are better examples for your point, I'm not as unfortunately aware of their makeup like I am the steaming pile of Sacramento.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:27 pm
  • Well, yes, I'm sure in Sacrmento there is competition for pro sports dollars.

    But, that competition is diluted enough by; number of teams (Raiders or 49ers) and whether they follow it at all. Or, to put it in simpler terms, there's far more DIE HARD Kings fans in Sacramento than there is die hard any other type of fans. Sure, there may be die hard Raiders fans, but not more than the cities ONLY pro sports team, the Kings. The Raiders, 49ers, whomever will never get the equal number of die hard fans.

    I'm sure there's plenty of Seahawks fans in Portland. But, there's not more than diehard Blazer fans.

    Not sure if that makes sense?
    Last edited by pehawk on Thu May 23, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 pm
  • Nope
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 pm
  • Hawk Strap wrote:Nope


    Well, fair enough.

    I still think the NBA will always prefer a market like Portland, OKC, San Antonio, etc. Pink and I disagree on the reasons why they do. Maybe Sacramento's a poor choice to illustrate that belief (even though I still believe its a one-horse market)?
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 pm
  • No, it does make sense. I just think the whole aspect of "diehard fans" amounts to more civic and political pressure to get buildings, but that the other teams seeing more support might mean that more revenue from TV, merchandise, etc., is going to the other leagues from Sacramento rather than to the NBA, while subsidy for buildings and gate revenues might favor the smaller markets (right now I believe both football teams have more season ticket holders in Sac than the Kings do, but in general, I think gate revenues favor the hometown team). The thing is, gate revenues from the regular joes aren't a primary focus of any of the leagues (besides the NHL still), which is why I keep coming back to the public subsidies. I mean, think how much money is gifted from cities to a league's owners by putting $300m+ into a building that's going to increase revenue streams on-site far more than it's going to add to the local economy. If owners' only big expenditures are payroll and the initial lump sum of buying the team, and they basically get a free ride for buildings, life's a piece of cake.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 23, 2013 7:42 pm
  • I do agree with you on Kohl, it'll take some serious events to get him to ruin the family's political future. And, that's what is on the line there. So, its very unlikely.

    I have nothing to base this on, but I think expansion has already been promised and committed to.

    Oh, and, while Sactown MAY HAVE been a bad example, I still think its bonkers to NOT align the Packers to Milwaukee. That’s just crazy-talk.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:Wow 2 hours?? No one would ever drive that far to see an NFL game... :sarcasm_off:


    In that case, let's just adopt the Blazers, a team only a bit farther away from Seattle, as our NBA team! Sarcasm also off and such.

    Ok, let's adopt a team in a different state that was a rival when we we had the sonics. What a perfect example...oh wait no it wasn't even a good example.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Hmm, I didn't know that. I'll let the rest of Wisconsin know they aren't Packers fans.

    Should we tell Tacoma they're out of the Seahawks fan club?

    This is exactly my point.

    Smelly is actually trying to say that fans of the brewers and bucks aren't fans of the packers because Green Bay and Milwaukee are 2 hours away from each other...laughable
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri May 24, 2013 2:20 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:I don't quite agree with your take, pe. It's not that the NBA wants small markets because they are one horse towns. They want small markets that are one horse towns (because they're small markets) because those are the cities they can most hold hostage in exchange for huge public funds. You want to lose your only sports team? You want us to scar your civic pride a bit and head to a "real" city? Oh, we'll do it, bitches.

    It's a horrible business model that I think is unsustainable. It's parasitic, which means moving from city to city, sucking up public money until they're sick of it, then moving onto the next. Eventually you'll run out of reasonable targets or they'll be enough cities say "hell no" that the NBA is going to lose a huge source of cash influx and foundation building (through gifting arenas). They'll have shaky reputations in big markets who make sense simply because of the money and audience in the market, and be stuck in the small towns that don't have the advertising revenues, the spending power, or local economics that can push money into their league through traditional, stable means.


    That's the Stern model, it's not necessesarily the NBA model--thank GOD Stern is getting out.
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    User avatar
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1333
    Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I don't know if it'll be relocation or expansion, I do believe we will have a team in the next 2 years though.

    Milwaukee isn't as easy as people are trying to make it seem, 6 year lease, owner is pretty adamant about not wanting the team to go to an out of towner. Charlotte is about to change their name back to the Hornets, they have a world class arena already, it might just be a case of the Bobcats brand not catching on.

    Who else is there? We aren't getting the Pacers, and they aren't going to move a team from Atlanta to Seattle, Memphis just got a new owner who seems committed to to staying there, Minnesota already said no, I'm running out of teams that would be even remotely possible.

    Rebranding is a desperation move for a crap franchise. Isn't that Michal's team? Pink is right - they ain't selling to HBN
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    User avatar
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1333
    Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am


Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 pm
  • re: the PP debate - even if there's fifty teams in a market, if it's a huge market like LA there's the POTENTIAL revenue stream if the team gets good--not just in ticket sales either. Big markets are just better. The Stern model is asinine and inverse logical - the dude does it for evil power-grasping thrills, not for the good of the NBA--the NBA grew under the dwarf midget's watch, it is true, but it would be much bigger and better with even an adequet, non-evil commissioner.
    P.S. Yeah I know I misspelled adequiet. What's yror point?
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    User avatar
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1333
    Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests