NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Wed May 15, 2013 12:23 am
  • ^accurate.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 am
  • I'm really going to call out of work tomorrow, it'll be for the best if I did.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 am

Wed May 15, 2013 4:19 am
  • Good god, are we gonna have to see another awkward exchange between Stern and Daniels tomorrow?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 am
  • Happy Anti-trust lawsuit day all! (My prediction on where this ends up)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Good god, are we gonna have to see another awkward exchange between Stern and Daniels tomorrow?

I hope so. The last one was entertaining as hell.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 am
  • Sounds like George Maloof & David Stern have been chopping it up this morning.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 57s
    Spotted in hotel lobby: NBA Commish David Stern and George Maloof having serious discussion. #NBAKings

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 13m
    David stern and George Maloof have been chatting for quite a few minutes in a sitting area off the lobby. That's your mid morning update
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Sounds like George Maloof & David Stern have been chopping it up this morning.

Spotted in hotel lobby: NBA Commish David Stern and George Maloof having serious discussion. #NBAKings

David stern and George Maloof have been chatting for quite a few minutes in a sitting area off the lobby. That's your mid morning update

Not sure what to think of that.... but honestly, I'm not sure what to think of anything anymore. God, I want this whole thing to be over.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 am
  • I'm not gonna think anything about it, just to keep myself sane today.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 am
  • They were meeting with a third person, one of the NBA's lawyers

:stirthepot:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 8:02 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:They were meeting with a third person, one of the NBA's lawyers

A hitman?

Jason Puckett ‏@JasonPuckettKJR 36s
    Interesting site at the hotel where David Stern sat and chatted with George Maloof and another unidentified man for 45 minutes. #NBABOG
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:They were meeting with a third person, one of the NBA's lawyers

A hitman?

Jason Puckett ‏@JasonPuckettKJR 36s
    Interesting site at the hotel where David Stern sat and chatted with George Maloof and another unidentified man for 45 minutes. #NBABOG

Que up the Soprano's intro
    dvs
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 15, 2013 8:41 am
  • Going to be interesting today. I just can't see how the NBA owners could get together and vote against Seattle since that would be a vote against their own best interests as business owners, but at the same time that seems to be how it will go.

I'm going to be surprised though if the door is not left wide open for expansion talks within the next few months if seattle is denied today.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 8:46 am
  • news is now coming out that each city presented to the league last night but no details about whom and what was presented.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 8:51 am
  • Yep, both sides presented to Relo/Finance committees last night. Still expected to present to entire BOG today
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 am
  • NBA denies there was meetings last night (yeah right), BOG meeting starts in an hour!
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 am
  • vedthree wrote:I think this is a definite sign that the NBA is going to cave and avoid litigation by guaranteeing HBN an Expansion team for the '14-'15 season. We probably won't hear the announcement tomorrow, but it will be coming soon.

That's the NBA's only exit strategy - because HBN are poised to scorch the earth in Sacto and in Court. The only way the NBA saves their sweet public $$ subsidy deal in Sacto is by giving HBN what they want.

Now, I have no doubt this info was deliberately spoon-fed to Montemayor by someone in the the NBA (who probably got the script straight from Stern) - but why? First of all, we know that it's BS. What are the 2 things Stern has consistently said during this whole process? 1) Expansion's not on the table. 2) One of the cities is going to walk away disappointed. Now we're supposed to believe that expansion's always been an option H/B/N knew about? Yeah, right - doesn't even pass the smell test. And secondly, we know that HBN were working closely with the NBA to make the initial offer for the Kings and that the League pre-approved - so it's obvious that HBN was told all along that if they wanted a team they had to take an existing one

But from a PR standpoint, there's no way the NBA is going to admit that HBN bent them over a rail and leveraged a team from them. So this is the story they'll create to spin it ... Everyone dislikes the Maloofs already, so just throw them under the bus some more and blame all the complications on them. Say the only reason HBN fought for the Kings is because they were being conned by the Maloofs. Paint Stern as the master negotiator who was able to step in and sort everything out.

The NBA will act like "Oh, we were always going to do expansion, it's just those stupid Maloofs led HBN astray and got them mixed up with the Kings ..." when the truth of the matter is that Stern just thought he could keep HBN in play to extract new arenas from Sacto, Milwaukee, etc, but it blew up in his face and HBN just curb-stomped him.

The only question I have about this possible scenario is, who is going to make the Maloofs whole? I doubt the SAC group has close to enough money to match Hansen's most recent bid. Are they just going to relent and take the SAC offer so the SEA group will be open for expansion?
    Yoonhawk
    * NET Attorney *

Wed May 15, 2013 9:14 am
  • Tony Stark and Rhodey just showed up, ready to dole out some justice.

Yoonhawk wrote:The only question I have about this possible scenario is, who is going to make the Maloofs whole? I doubt the SAC group has close to enough money to match Hansen's most recent bid. Are they just going to relent and take the SAC offer so the SEA group will be open for expansion?

NBA could offer to drop the current debt, which would almost make the offers equal.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Tony Stark and Rhodey just showed up, ready to dole out some justice.

HAHAHAHA, that's awesome! :th2thumbs:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:Tony Stark and Rhodey just showed up, ready to dole out some justice.

HAHAHAHA, that's awesome! :th2thumbs:

No, it's racist. Are you saying all white people look alike? I'm offended.....
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 am
  • CANHawk wrote:No, it's racist. Are you saying all white people look alike? I'm offended.....

Yes
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 9:39 am
  • lol well im really offended omg time to go jump of the cn tower.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed May 15, 2013 9:39 am

Warriors owner Lacob asking Jennie Buss if he should be the first male owner to pose naked.

Sonics fans show up! After Stern waived to Kings fans and entered the room 20 minutes ago :X, wake up earlier boys.

More expansion speculation!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/2013/0 ... sion-team/
    Last edited by TheRealDTM on Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 10:03 am
  • vedthree wrote:I think this is a definite sign that the NBA is going to cave and avoid litigation by guaranteeing HBN an Expansion team for the '14-'15 season. We probably won't hear the announcement tomorrow, but it will be coming soon.

That's the NBA's only exit strategy - because HBN are poised to scorch the earth in Sacto and in Court. The only way the NBA saves their sweet public $$ subsidy deal in Sacto is by giving HBN what they want.

Now, I have no doubt this info was deliberately spoon-fed to Montemayor by someone in the the NBA (who probably got the script straight from Stern) - but why? First of all, we know that it's BS. What are the 2 things Stern has consistently said during this whole process? 1) Expansion's not on the table. 2) One of the cities is going to walk away disappointed. Now we're supposed to believe that expansion's always been an option H/B/N knew about? Yeah, right - doesn't even pass the smell test. And secondly, we know that HBN were working closely with the NBA to make the initial offer for the Kings and that the League pre-approved - so it's obvious that HBN was told all along that if they wanted a team they had to take an existing one

But from a PR standpoint, there's no way the NBA is going to admit that HBN bent them over a rail and leveraged a team from them. So this is the story they'll create to spin it ... Everyone dislikes the Maloofs already, so just throw them under the bus some more and blame all the complications on them. Say the only reason HBN fought for the Kings is because they were being conned by the Maloofs. Paint Stern as the master negotiator who was able to step in and sort everything out.

The NBA will act like "Oh, we were always going to do expansion, it's just those stupid Maloofs led HBN astray and got them mixed up with the Kings ..." when the truth of the matter is that Stern just thought he could keep HBN in play to extract new arenas from Sacto, Milwaukee, etc, but it blew up in his face and HBN just curb-stomped him.

This is pretty much exactly where I stand. I have never for once bought the "NO EXPANSION! IT ISN'T HAPPENING!" line. Expansion is something that you don't offer until you absolutely have to. And hinting that it is a possibility does you no favors.

My only wonder is can the NBA make a concrete expansion promise to Seattle as long as Sac's ownership group has yet to put up 100% of their money and Sac's arena deal continues to be non-binding. Seattle has been used as a hammer to get Sac in line. It's worked up til now. But what happens when Seattle is promised expansion, and the threat is gone? Does Sac back off on it's hastily thrown together arena deal? Does Vivek and friends take 50 million off their offer? I think this might be why the NBA has urged the Sac group to put 100% in escrow.

I've been VERY guarded in my optimism on this the entire way. But I'm really starting to believe that expansion is a possibility. I've always thought it was doable, just a matter of whether or not HBN could twist the NBA's arm enough to get it. I think they are very close. Hope I'm not setting myself up for yet another disappointment. Oh well. Here we go.

And no. I really want nothing to do with a drawn out lawsuit that in the end might only get you awarded monetary damages, while forever burning bridges. To me, it's Kings or expansion. Expansion preferred. That's it.

GO SONICS!
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed May 15, 2013 10:03 am
  • POSITIVE ENERGY!!!!!!! LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!! GO SONICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am
  • Also, I wanted to thank you guys here for having some really solid conversation about this whole thing. It's been very refreshing to read. Sonics Rising has turned into a bit of a clown show ever since joining SB Nation. That's what you get when you increase your profile and up your traffic big time. Gone are the days of the die hard fans who stuck with Sonics Central throughout the years holding smart and on the ball discourse. Now it's just like everywhere else on the internet. The lowest, dumbest people making the most noise, dominating the conversation. Screaming down opinions they don't agree with. Reminds me of what happened with the main forum here. ;) Good job guys. Keep it up!

Go Supes!
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 am
  • Hey, here's a thought. In view of the latest SacTown lawsuits starting up, how about give the Kings to Seattle, and give an expansion team to Sacramento next year if, and only if, the Arena deal actually goes on.
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed May 15, 2013 10:17 am

Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am
  • Here we go!
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 am
  • Shazaam!
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed May 15, 2013 10:23 am
  • getting nervous but still have faith
    dvs
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 am
  • positive vibes time for some sonics music.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed May 15, 2013 10:32 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:My only wonder is can the NBA make a concrete expansion promise to Seattle as long as Sac's ownership group has yet to put up 100% of their money and Sac's arena deal continues to be non-binding. Seattle has been used as a hammer to get Sac in line. It's worked up til now. But what happens when Seattle is promised expansion, and the threat is gone? Does Sac back off on it's hastily thrown together arena deal? Does Vivek and friends take 50 million off their offer? I think this might be why the NBA has urged the Sac group to put 100% in escrow.

I've been VERY guarded in my optimism on this the entire way. But I'm really starting to believe that expansion is a possibility. I've always thought it was doable, just a matter of whether or not HBN could twist the NBA's arm enough to get it. I think they are very close. Hope I'm not setting myself up for yet another disappointment. Oh well. Here we go.

And no. I really want nothing to do with a drawn out lawsuit that in the end might only get you awarded monetary damages, while forever burning bridges. To me, it's Kings or expansion. Expansion preferred. That's it.
    GO SONICS!

I think in order for this last-minute expansion rumor to be true, the NBA would have to guarantee in writing that it was going to occur, for two reasons: 1) we can't trust them after their "promises" made in 2008, and 2) only a written guarantee would allow the SEA group to begin construction on an arena. A vague promise or wink-wink deal would mean that they wouldn't be able to begin the construction process until became official.
    Yoonhawk
    * NET Attorney *

Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 am
  • Yoonhawk wrote:I think in order for this last-minute expansion rumor to be true, the NBA would have to guarantee in writing that it was going to occur, for two reasons: 1) we can't trust them after their "promises" made in 2008, and 2) only a written guarantee would allow the SEA group to begin construction on an arena. A vague promise or wink-wink deal would mean that they wouldn't be able to begin the construction process until became official.

Exactly. I highly doubt our guys would take any sort of wink-wink for an answer. It's give it in writing, or watch us fight for the Kings.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 am
  • tdlabrie wrote:Hey, here's a thought. In view of the latest SacTown lawsuits starting up, how about give the Kings to Seattle, and give an expansion team to Sacramento next year if, and only if, the Arena deal actually goes on.

That's pretty much exactly how it went down with Cleveland & Baltimore with the Browns/Ravens/new Browns. Cleveland wouldn't get off their ass to build a new stadium until the Browns actually left town. It worked in the NFL, no reason it can't work now....
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 am
  • tdlabrie wrote:Hey, here's a thought. In view of the latest SacTown lawsuits starting up, how about give the Kings to Seattle, and give an expansion team to Sacramento next year if, and only if, the Arena deal actually goes on.

Yeah. Do it.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am

little late, but... GO SONICS!
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am
  • According to King 5 News Chris Hansen and Wally Walker were there to present, but no Steve Ballmer. That concerns me.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed May 15, 2013 11:11 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:According to King 5 News Chris Hansen and Wally Walker were there to present, but no Steve Ballmer. That concerns me.

Didn't want him to go nuclear.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:According to King 5 News Chris Hansen and Wally Walker were there to present, but no Steve Ballmer. That concerns me.

He had a Microsoft event is the story.

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta

To address questions on Ballmer, he was part of Seattle presentation in NY on April 3. These presentations are not as extensive. ...

Those were roughly two-hour deals. These are more similar to closing arguments, taking questions, etc.

Stern said it would be one last chance to state case. KJ said same thing. But that could be part of it.

I didn't notice much of anything. Again, these are not full-blown presentations like in New York.
    Last edited by drdiags on Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am
  • Anybody know how long this should take?
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 am

He's at a Microsoft event. IE his job.

I don't have a whole lot of hope that this is going to go our way even if Ballmer was there. But the pessimist in me has been apparent the last couple of days in just about everything, so who knows.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am

You should be concerned if Ballmer IS there.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am
  • From twitter. Seattle group is done was about a 30 minute presentation. Sac group just walked in.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Image

Warriors owner Lacob asking Jennie Buss if he should be the first male owner to pose naked.

Sonics fans show up! After Stern waived to Kings fans and entered the room 20 minutes ago :X, wake up earlier boys.

More expansion speculation!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/2013/0 ... sion-team/

It's nice to see Rex Grossman show up in his Sonics gear. :D
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:31 am

Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Sounds like George Maloof & David Stern have been chopping it up this morning.

I hoping George Maloof was telling Stern he is going to sue the bejesus out of him and the NBA if the team isn't sold to HBN and allow them to move to Seattle.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 11:47 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:According to King 5 News Chris Hansen and Wally Walker were there to present, but no Steve Ballmer. That concerns me.

Didn't want him to go nuclear.

He is standing by at a press conference ready to announce Microsoft is pulling all their sponsorship of the NBA if the deal doesn't go through.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    Yoonhawk wrote:I think in order for this last-minute expansion rumor to be true, the NBA would have to guarantee in writing that it was going to occur, for two reasons: 1) we can't trust them after their "promises" made in 2008, and 2) only a written guarantee would allow the SEA group to begin construction on an arena. A vague promise or wink-wink deal would mean that they wouldn't be able to begin the construction process until became official.

Exactly. I highly doubt our guys would take any sort of wink-wink for an answer. It's give it in writing, or watch us fight for the Kings.

Nice to see you back Seatown! Keep fighting the good fight! :)

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 am
  • Any news yet? ANYTHING!!
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:15 pm