Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Mon May 13, 2013 4:40 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Love what you're selling vedthree. I'm just wondering why we haven't heard more legal experts making the statement that H/B/N have more firm legal footing. Most of the reports that I see (from neutral parties) claim that he "might" have "some" grounds for a case but that chances are not good for success.

Hans has been quick to reassure us that legally, H/B/N are more than solid but this doesn't explain why we're not hearing similar things from other sources.

Good point & question. Personally, I think it's a combination of factors:

1.) Lots of the "sports law" experts on TV and doing the radio-circuit interviews have close ties to the Leagues and/or are employed by a Network with vested interests in protecting the Leagues. Not exactly the best source for unbiased info (for example, I think it was McCann on 710am right after the relocation committee vote was asked to give his "advice" for future strategy and it sounded exactly like a bullet-point list of the NBA's talking points .... "back off, play nice, wait and make a play for another team, yadda, yadda ... )
    2.) Just because some one is an expert in sports & entertainment law doesn't mean they're an expert in anti-trust law. Completely different fields and rules of play. A good lawyer can spend his entire career working with the NBA - contracts, marketing deals, agency, administering the rules under the CBA, etc, and never once deal with an Anti-Trust issue. So it could simply be beyond their realm of knowledge and expertise.
    3.) Anti-Trust law is complex & boring. It doesn't make for good TV & radio. Hell, even on news & business stations like CNBC where you think they would be talking about it as it relates to the business world, it often gets overlooked or bad analysis. So not surprising that the local sportswriter (who get most of their talking points fed to them by PR people anyways) isn't going to be getting into in-depth.
    4.) Finally, Anti-Trust cases (going nuclear) against Pro Sports are so rare. Even though they are often successful. The simple fact is the Leagues usually do whatever it takes to resolve the situation through negotiation & arbitration before it ever advances that far in Court ... so experts may simply still be assuming the NBA will find a way to talk itself out of it before it gets that far. (business as usual)
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 pm
  • Man you get two totally differing opinions between Seattle forums and Sacto forums. There view is that H/B are raiding their city and the only decission to be made by the NBA is if Sacto is a viable NBA city.
    I hate that we are stealing another team, especially from a city I lived in for 10 years. But...I love seeing Stearn squirm knowing this will stain his last year in office. He deserves whats coming, arrogant, chronyism enabling MF'r. Make no mistake, this latest round of upping the anty is coming from Ballmer and intended to force the NBA to either commit to giving Seattle an expansion team or delivering the Kings to Seattle. Sucks it has to be this way, consider that the very same thing could have happened to the Seahawks. The NFL slapped MR Behring http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Behring for being a crappy owner and trying to move the team. Imagine if Ken B pulled a Maloof with our Seahawks? Havent seen anyone offer this view before. There are alot of similarities.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm
  • I personally don't give a damn what happened between the Maloofs and that creeper they have for a mayor.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Mon May 13, 2013 5:27 pm
  • Kevin Nesgoda posted this pic from outside Neumo's tonight:

The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 5:32 pm
  • vedthree wrote:2. If the Sale's rejected, then the real fireworks begin - because that's when both the Maloofs' & H/B/N can file their Anti-Trust cases. And then the true genius of the back-up offer comes into play. Maloofs still own them and are now flush with cash to operate a lame-duck franchise for 1-2 seasons, and Sacto's arena deal still evaporates. Then H/B/N just sit back and let the Maloofs do the dirtywork of Bennetting the team out of Sacto next season. (not to mention Hansen has ROFR as minority owner if the NBA is stupid enough to try and keep the local ownership group in play)

That's the Ace H/B/N slammed on the table - "Swallow your medicine, take a PR hit you can quickly recover from and give us the Kings now ... or sit through 1-2 years of Sacto getting the same scorched-earth treatment Seattle got while it also hits your bottom line in revenue sharing & TV negotiations - your choice."

But here's where I don't get too excited about this. HBN still would need league approval to become minority owners. If the NBA denies the primary sale agreement, I can't see how they'd just then go and say "OK, sure. No prob," to HBN becoming minority owners with a clear agenda. If the Maloofs and HBN can't force the NBA to let them become partners, I don't see how they hold any sort of leverage.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    vedthree wrote:2. If the Sale's rejected, then the real fireworks begin - because that's when both the Maloofs' & H/B/N can file their Anti-Trust cases. And then the true genius of the back-up offer comes into play. Maloofs still own them and are now flush with cash to operate a lame-duck franchise for 1-2 seasons, and Sacto's arena deal still evaporates. Then H/B/N just sit back and let the Maloofs do the dirtywork of Bennetting the team out of Sacto next season. (not to mention Hansen has ROFR as minority owner if the NBA is stupid enough to try and keep the local ownership group in play)

That's the Ace H/B/N slammed on the table - "Swallow your medicine, take a PR hit you can quickly recover from and give us the Kings now ... or sit through 1-2 years of Sacto getting the same scorched-earth treatment Seattle got while it also hits your bottom line in revenue sharing & TV negotiations - your choice."

But here's where I don't get too excited about this. HBN still would need league approval to become minority owners. If the NBA denies the primary sale agreement, I can't see how they'd just then go and say "OK, sure. No prob," to HBN becoming minority owners with a clear agenda. If the Maloofs and HBN can't force the NBA to let them become partners, I don't see how they hold any sort of leverage.

I think denying the 20% is harder to say no to because it doesn't give them a controlling interest. Instead, they are simply propping up the existing owner(s).

The problem that I see, is that the NBA can argue that selling the 20% makes no sense when the Sac group can offer them the original $341M that they accepted from H/B/N originally.

But even then, they can just as easily say well, obviously $341M isn't the most that someone is willing to pay and we run a business. We see more $$$ at the end of the tunnel if we deal with H/B/N so get the fuck off of my porch! We'll sue the league for denying us the opportunity to improve solvency of the team through an infusion from very wealthy partners/investors in H/B/N.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:39 pm
  • Denying Relocation is one thing but if the BOG actually rejects Hansen/Ballmer 3 separate times, oh man antitrust here we come. Stern will spend the last 8 months of his horrid tenure in a court room and I will love every second of it!! This means more than just a team here, NBA will have to open their books, all their dirty deep dark secrets will be exposed. It will be a nightmare end for Stern and I love it!

GO HANSEN! GO BALLMER! GO NORDSTROMS!
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:The problem that I see, is that the NBA can argue that selling the 20% makes no sense when the Sac group can offer them the original $341M that they accepted from H/B/N originally.

I keep seeing this 341 number thrown around. Last time I heard anything about the Sac group's bid was from Stern and he said it was "in the ball park" To me that means it's not even 341 million. Everyone has assumed that Sac matched Hansen's FIRST offer, and unless I missed something, I haven't see that said anywhere other than Stern's ball park comment. AND they haven't even put all of their bid in escrow yet and it's Monday May 13th, just pathetic.

Plus, even if it was 341 million, that's still less than the Maloofs stand to make with Hansen. Hansen offered what, 125 mil for 20%? Still a much better deal that 341 (which it isn't) for 65%. NBA is costing Maloofs at least 65 million and I believe it's even more because I doubt Sac's offer is actually 341.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:49 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:Denying Relocation is one thing but if the BOG actually rejects Hansen/Ballmer 3 separate times, oh man antitrust here we come. Stern will spend the last 8 months of his horrid tenure in a court room and I will love every second of it!! This means more than just a team here, NBA will have to open their books, all their dirty deep dark secrets will be exposed. It will be a nightmare end for Stern and I love it!

GO HANSEN! GO BALLMER! GO NORDSTROMS!

Yup, if we don't end up with a team in all of this, I am all for making this very very messy for the NBA in all future business dealings.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:
    Yup, if we don't end up with a team in all of this, I am all for making this very very messy for the NBA in all future business dealings.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, I'm taking you to court David Stern and will air out all your dirty laundry.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 pm
  • If I'm H/B/N I let the NBA know indirectly of course the MINUTE the result goes against Seattle, the Anti-trust lawsuits will be filed in federal court as the lawyers will be waiting for a phone call for the green light to file a lawsuit! ......and then if no team for Seattle, start dropping the NUKES on the NBA and watch Stern, Clay Clay and the rest of the turds fry!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon May 13, 2013 8:52 pm
  • Where's Slade Gorton at? Hopefully Hansen gives him a call.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 pm
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    vedthree wrote:2. If the Sale's rejected, then the real fireworks begin - because that's when both the Maloofs' & H/B/N can file their Anti-Trust cases. And then the true genius of the back-up offer comes into play. Maloofs still own them and are now flush with cash to operate a lame-duck franchise for 1-2 seasons, and Sacto's arena deal still evaporates. Then H/B/N just sit back and let the Maloofs do the dirtywork of Bennetting the team out of Sacto next season. (not to mention Hansen has ROFR as minority owner if the NBA is stupid enough to try and keep the local ownership group in play)

Props to Laloosh & Hawkfan who pretty much covered it - but yeah, there's a lower burden in the Bylaws to pass for purchasing the minority share, and the NBA would have an even harder time rejecting it. (Remember, the HBN group was vetted & pre-approved by the NBA before they placed any offers on the table)

Most importantly, they'd be blatantly interfering with the Maloofs' ability to operate their own franchise. That's the one thing all the legal experts can agree on - the NBA can't force the Maloofs to sell, and trying to strong arm them is a clear cut Anti-Trust violation. To reject the minority sale, the NBA basically admits that they're attempting to steer the Maloofs to the Sacto bid .... and that hands the Maloofs & HBN their Anti-Trust case on a silver platter. (And forces the other Owners to vote for the precedent of having the NBA decide to whom and for what price they can sell off parts of their own teams to in the future)

Dammed if they do, Dammed if they don't - Hansen has them bent over a rail. And he used their own Bylaws and self-interest to do it .... Gawd DAMN, I love this guy.

We joke about the NBA making up the rules as they go along, and that's true to an extent - they play with deadlines, have "recommendation" votes, etc ... but eventually they have to enforce their rules as written. One of the main justifications for the NBA (NFL, NHL, etc.) being able to operate as de-facto monopolies is because they are supposedly capable of "fair" self-governance under strong sets of Bylaws & CBA's. So when push comes to shove, if the NBA doesn't ultimately follow those Bylaws in approving the Sale, it can blow up big-time in their face if/when it goes to Court.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Mon May 13, 2013 10:08 pm
  • vedthree wrote:
    SeaTown81 wrote:

Props to Laloosh & Hawkfan who pretty much covered it - but yeah, there's a lower burden in the Bylaws to pass for purchasing the minority share, and the NBA would have an even harder time rejecting it. (Remember, the HBN group was vetted & pre-approved by the NBA before they placed any offers on the table)

Most importantly, they'd be blatantly interfering with the Maloofs' ability to operate their own franchise. That's the one thing all the legal experts can agree on - the NBA can't force the Maloofs to sell, and trying to strong arm them is a clear cut Anti-Trust violation. To reject the minority sale, the NBA basically admits that they're attempting to steer the Maloofs to the Sacto bid .... and that hands the Maloofs & HBN their Anti-Trust case on a silver platter. (And forces the other Owners to vote for the precedent of having the NBA decide to whom and for what price they can sell off parts of their own teams to in the future)

Dammed if they do, Dammed if they don't - Hansen has them bent over a rail. And he used their own Bylaws and self-interest to do it .... Gawd DAMN, I love this guy.

We joke about the NBA making up the rules as they go along, and that's true to an extent - they play with deadlines, have "recommendation" votes, etc ... but eventually they have to enforce their rules as written. One of the main justifications for the NBA (NFL, NHL, etc.) being able to operate as de-facto monopolies is because they are supposedly capable of "fair" self-governance under strong sets of Bylaws & CBA's. So when push comes to shove, if the NBA doesn't ultimately follow those Bylaws in approving the Sale, it can blow up big-time in their face if/when it goes to Court.

Very well said, Vedthree.
    Yoonhawk
    * NET Attorney *

Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 pm
  • Man.....I wish I could be as positive as you guys regarding this......but I just think that as long as Stern is involved in things we will not win this thing. Plus the fact the Clay Bennett is in the ears of the other owners and is Stern's puppet it all leads me to believe that we are in trouble. And I know we could fight things in court, but I ultimately believe it won't go that route.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon May 13, 2013 10:57 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Man.....I wish I could be as positive as you guys regarding this......but I just think that as long as Stern is involved in things we will not win this thing. Plus the fact the Clay Bennett is in the ears of the other owners and is Stern's puppet it all leads me to believe that we are in trouble. And I know we could fight things in court, but I ultimately believe it won't go that route.

I'm not positive we get the Kings. I'm positive that we are headed for a lawsuit, which will severely screw Stern's retirement party. Which I am all for. I am past the point of a basketball team. If we force expansion or even somehow get the Kings, great. But I'm not counting on it. At this point I am all for messing up the NBA's future business (CBA's, potential owners wanting to buy in and seeing this bull that is going on, and you know that the players association is keeping a close and watchful eye on this.) It's funny, because ved was talking about how the NBA is looking at the extortion aspect of getting smaller markets to open their legs for the leg, but I can't help but think Sacramento will end up being the prime example as to why cities will start their own I-91's.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Man.....I wish I could be as positive as you guys regarding this......but I just think that as long as Stern is involved in things we will not win this thing. Plus the fact the Clay Bennett is in the ears of the other owners and is Stern's puppet it all leads me to believe that we are in trouble. And I know we could fight things in court, but I ultimately believe it won't go that route.

Oh, I'd give HBG more than a fighting chance. Hansen has recently hinted that Balmer has his gloves off, and that 'No' is not an acceptable answer. Basically, the message is if they don't hear either 'expansion' or a 'go ahead' on the relocation, Balmer doesn't intend to back down.
    Last edited by HawKnPeppa on Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 am
  • Blitz why do you think all the Sacto trolls disappeared? Even they can see the writing on the wall!
    SACK UP BRUH!!!

pun intended
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 1:36 am
  • I don't know how it ends up, but I have a feeling that we will be turned down on Wednesday, and then we're going to war with the NBA. This fights been a long time coming, 5 years in the making. If you don't want the beef, then give us what we want and what Hansen and Ballmer have shown they're best suited for.

I see us going to war though, hope I'm wrong and can get my Victor Oladipo chant down for draft day.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 4:12 am
  • Throwdown wrote: Victor Oladipo chant

Vitor...ho-ho
    Oladipo....hey-hey!
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue May 14, 2013 4:48 am
  • Happy anti-trust lawsuit eve all! :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 14, 2013 4:52 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Happy anti-trust lawsuit eve all! :th2thumbs:

Got my warpaint ready!!!

Someone should make that warpaint Green and Gold
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 7:32 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I don't know how it ends up, but I have a feeling that we will be turned down on Wednesday, and then we're going to war with the NBA. This fights been a long time coming, 5 years in the making. If you don't want the beef, then give us what we want and what Hansen and Ballmer have shown they're best suited for.

I see us going to war though, hope I'm wrong and can get my Victor Oladipo chant down for draft day.

The only reason I think that MIGHT not happen (but I can't see anything positive coming out of a Stern-led pow-wow) is that the committee and Stern are saving face with Sac but won't have a problem with the move given the new money introduced last week. When you get 30 owners together instead of 7, and millions of brand new dollars in the deal, it wouldn't surprise me to see a change.

That said, I am expecting Hansen to push the red button after things don't go his way.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 am

Tue May 14, 2013 8:33 am

Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 am
  • Aaron Bruski is so pathetic. Such a Sacramento shill.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Well, we may be done with basketball for a while. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ba-future/

Lmaooooo Aaron Bruski is the go to guy here? The Sac medias been on a bashing rampage since HBN made their move.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 8:39 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:Well, we may be done with basketball for a while. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ba-future/

Lmaooooo Aaron Bruski is the go to guy here? The Sac medias been on a bashing rampage since HBN made their move.

Bruski should take off his purple colored glasses. He's such a hack who has plenty vested in Sac. He's completely biased and he works for the same company that employs Mike Floria...after connected the dots I've come to the conclusion Bruski does't have legit sources and he hears what he wants to hear. He's a joke.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 am
  • There is going to be plenty of this rhetoric before we actually get a real answer from the league...prepare yourselves
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 8:53 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Well, we may be done with basketball for a while. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ba-future/

Wow, this article is trash.

I started writing and deleting so many different talking points about it. I didn't even know where to start.

Total non-sense. Jesus.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 am
  • Thing about it is, Microsoft is a huge corporate sponsor to the NBA, do you honestly think anyone in the NBA would bad mouth Ballmer like that? Someone get this clown back flipping burgers where he belongs.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Thing about it is, Microsoft is a huge corporate sponsor to the NBA, do you honestly think anyone in the NBA would bad mouth Ballmer like that? Someone get this clown back flipping burgers where he belongs.

Honestly, bruski doesn't even seemed qualified to do that...
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 am
  • Ignore everything Aaron Bruski says. The dude is basically KJ and Think Big's mouth piece. He makes himself look a fool on a constant basis. He's been called out by respected national writers time and again. Dude makes internet bloggers look bad. And that's saying something.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:17 am
  • Have you guys seen this? Guess Mitch was talking bout this today on the radio:

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 1h
    To be clear: I believe the Hansen/Ballmer group increased the relo fee offer after lots of conversations they had w/ owners around the NBA.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 1h
    Just want to distinguish b/w "other owners" and the "league office". If I said otherwise on the air, I mispoke. (not sure I did)

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 47m
    My overall point is that the Ballmer/Hansen group is now being portrayed as rebels who are doing everything on their own and...

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 46m
    ...pulling an "end around" on the league. This is spin and propaganda and untrue. Until this 20% backup plan, they have included...

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 46m
    ...league office and other owners every step of the way.

Potentially big if this is true. Would mean there's at least some owners who aren't exactly seeing eye to eye with Stern.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 am
  • Maybe the league told them do this whole 20% deal thingy to shut Ranadive's group out because they were just out here playing with money and that they really don't have the means to be productive owners of a franchise?

I'm just doing some hopeful hypothesizing.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 am
  • Would anyone be shocked if the BOG approves the 65% and denies the relocation? Give Hansen one year of "good faith effort" to let Sac get their arena done. And then in one year when the arena is nowhere to be found, NBA let's Hansen take the Kings to Seattle?
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 am
  • I don't know if I'd be shocked. But I don't see it happening. Then again, nothing the league does is predictable.

The NBA (read Stern) seems prepared to vote down relocation, while being hesitant on even voting on the sale. I'm curious what would happen if they denied relocation, only to put off a vote on the sale, then eventually voted on it down the road and accepted HBN. What then? Would they be allowed to hold another relocation vote? Or would they be stuck in Sac for at least a year?
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am
  • I think that'd be horrible to do to Hansen, personally. The NBA would make them bleed that one season there? After throwing all the loot they have to just aquire the team? The fans aren't going to show up at that point, the Sleep Train Arena, Arco Arena whatever the hell the name is on that arena is a black hole. It'd be pointless to give him the team and let him bleed one season in Sacramento.

Teams gotta come to Seattle at that point so they can have a chance recoup even just a little bit of the money they've spent. They'll never fully recover what they will have spent, it doesn't make sense to pull a "good faith effort"
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 am
  • So I didn't listen to Mitch on the radio today. Just read those tweets. From reading over on Sonics Rising, it sounds like Mitch was mainly defending HBN against the attacks of certain media calling them out for going around the league. Saying that they have only been doing what they were told to do. Apparently he went on to say that if there is an unanimous relocation denial, to not believe it, because he knows for certain that there are owners in favor. Then went on to say that he expects it to still lose. So I guess his tweets weren't any reason to up our optimism any.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:So I didn't listen to Mitch on the radio today. Just read those tweets. From reading over on Sonics Rising, it sounds like Mitch was mainly defending HBN against the attacks of certain media calling them out for going around the league. Saying that they have only been doing what they were told to do. Apparently he went on to say that if there is an unanimous relocation denial, to not believe it, because he knows for certain that there are owners in favor. Then went on to say that he expects it to still lose. So I guess his tweets weren't any reason to up our optimism any.

Yep what I got from it there is some major behind the scenes stuff going on that he either couldn't share or that wasn't even shared with him.

There's no way business guys as successful as Hansen, Ballmer and the Nordstroms are going to be making any of the moves they are without some sort of inside knowledge that they are doing good. I fully believe that HBN are getting coached up by either a select group of owners or someone in the league office. They aren't just willy-nilly throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks. They are making calculated moves and there's a reason for what they are doing.

My hopes are still up because HBN are just that good. Maybe this has nothing to do with the Kings, maybe they are forcing the expansion route. Or this could be gaining more for an antitrust lawsuit. But these guys aren't going in there headfirst and blind.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 am
  • For the sake of discussion,

Is there anything the NBA really has against the Maloof's that they could use in an anti-trust lawsuit? Outside of "best interest" clause, what card does the NBA really have? They can't say the Maloof's don't have the money to operate when the Hanson group would become a 20% owner.

Also the whole unanimous but not really unanimous recommendation can't look good in court. I'm no lawyer but that clearly looks like the league throwing it's weight around.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 10:04 am
  • This the way I see it playing out:

1. The vote is just should Sacramento keep its franchise in Sacramento. The Seattle group is allowed to keep buy the 20% stake in the team and agreement made that they can move the team and buy out other share holders if the Sacramento deal falls apart

2. If option 1 fails, they get an expansion team. The new TV deal is coming up and they want/need the Seattle market. The recent ratings are horrid for the current series. As pointed out MSFT is a big advertiser and I suspect they will pull out of deals with the NBA.

3. If all else fails ( which I cannot see happening) they will litigate. When the Pilots moved Seattle threatened to sue and even with special exemptions in anti trust law they did want to take a chance. MLB then gave us the Mariners. I don't really see this as happening, as it is a lose/lose proposition for the NBA.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 am
  • News is circulating by Jerry brewer that if/when the BOG rejects relocation that nullifies the need to vote on the purchase. The news today has not been good for us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:News is circulating by Jerry brewer that if/when the BOG rejects relocation that nullifies the need to vote on the purchase. The news today has not been good for us.

Not sure I'm following you here....if they deny relocation, how does that automatically mean the Maloof's have to sell to the Sac group?
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 am
  • Let he lawsuits begin!!!!!! :) Scorched earth baby! Burn mother effer burn!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:News is circulating by Jerry brewer that if/when the BOG rejects relocation that nullifies the need to vote on the purchase. The news today has not been good for us.

Not really, he's repeating what has been rumored coming from Sacramento. Everything I've read is that Hansen is fully pushing for official ownership vote. A maximum of three votes to take place: 65%, 7% and then if no on the 65% then the 20% backup offer.

Also KJ just held an impromptu PC and was asked if 100% of the Sac bid was in escrow and he said "make an assumption on your own" which means no.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 10:30 am
  • Apparently KJ said the NBA wanted 50% in escrow which is what they did...they still haven't been able to come up with the "ballpark" 34 offer. This is a complete joke and the NBA looks foolish right now
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 10:35 am
  • Color me confused, do those bozos have it in or not?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Color me confused, do those bozos have it in or not?

Sounds like it's taken them months to only put 50% of whatever their actual bid is (which I don't believe is $341 mil because Stern said it was "in the ballpark")
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information