NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 am
  • Practical sense has been thrown out the window weeks ago, Stern is a stubborn person, having these upstart owners dictating his leagues policy and making him look bad may just set the anchor deeper. He will go to court and lose but he will stubbornly not back off what he's doing unless his bosses show a no confidence vote of sorts and fire or um earlier then expected retirement and Silver picks up the controls, settles things and starts out of the gate a winner.

I wonder if the Hansen group offered KJ season tickets if he would back off, it's a commute up here but hey he doesn't seem to have any city business to worry about anyway. :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 12, 2013 5:42 am

Sun May 12, 2013 7:01 am
  • Pstark3 wrote:Not sure how legit this is, But it looks like sac just matched Hansens offer... from january?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/sacramento-re ... um=twitter

This is the offer that they are still asking for investors for so they match the rest.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 8:20 am
  • With this latest "backup offer", clearly Hansen has SacTown on the ropes and all he needs is a final knockout punch! Like, say, a real, credible, serious lawsuit launched on Monday against the Sacramento Arena plan!

Hey, I've said it all along, the Maloofs don't have to sell to Sacramento, and they've told the NBA that three times. And if the relocation is still denied, regardless of whether the Maloofs own the Kings or the Hansen group, neither one has to participate in the arena deal.
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:... the leader of the potential Sacramento buyers is Vivek Ranadive. I believe he has part-ownership in the Warriors. Doesn't he have to sell his ownership before he can buy the Kings? An owner cannot have share in two teams right?

This is a really good point. What can Stern or the BoG do about this?
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 am
  • He is in the process of selling his share, problem is I wouldn't be so hasty to unload it if the Maloofs are acting like straight up gangsters right now.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 am
  • Throwdown wrote:He is in the process of selling his share, problem is I wouldn't be so hasty to unload it if the Maloofs are acting like straight up gangsters right now.

Obviously Stern will hold the approval of the sale of his shares until the exact moment that he gives him the Kings. Which is whats going to happen.

He has nothing to worry about Stern won't let him lose his GS shares until he has a new team, he's a club member!
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 9:15 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:He is in the process of selling his share, problem is I wouldn't be so hasty to unload it if the Maloofs are acting like straight up gangsters right now.

Obviously Stern will hold the approval of the sale of his shares until the exact moment that he gives him the Kings. Which is whats going to happen.

He has nothing to worry about Stern won't let him lose his GS shares until he has a new team, he's a club member!

He hasn't found anyone to buy 'em, is what I meant to say. He's still searching for a buyer, should've made that clear I guess.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:He is in the process of selling his share, problem is I wouldn't be so hasty to unload it if the Maloofs are acting like straight up gangsters right now.

He hasn't found anyone to buy 'em, is what I meant to say. He's still searching for a buyer, should've made that clear I guess.

The NBA can buy it under the best interest clause. Because they can literally make up the rules as they go along.
    Last edited by TheRealDTM on Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 am
  • True lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Sun May 12, 2013 12:45 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:League sources maintain after today's media attack by the SEA/Maloof camp that the decision to relocate is about SAC's bid and not SEA’s.
    https://twitter.com/aaronbruski/status/ ... 4648740864

Now this is some B.S. if true. So if it's about Sac all along then everything Hansen/Ballmer/Nordstroms are doing means nothing..

Doesn't matter what they say. Money talks. A lawsuit yells.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 12:59 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:League sources maintain after today's media attack by the SEA/Maloof camp that the decision to relocate is about SAC's bid and not SEA’s.

Now this is some B.S. if true. So if it's about Sac all along then everything Hansen/Ballmer/Nordstroms are doing means nothing..

So theyre going to vote to make the Maloofs sell to the sac group even though the Maloofs have clearly said they will sell to the Hansen group no matter the outcome of the vote?

I aint even worried
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Oh come on..........Stern clearly is never gonna allow Seattle to get the Kings.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun May 12, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Keep in mind that Aaron Bruski is one of the most Sac-biased media heads.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 1:34 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Keep in mind that Aaron Bruski is one of the most Sac-biased media heads.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 pm
  • The NBA CANNOT force the Maloofs to sell! All the Maloofs have to say is no, and then tell their anti-trust lawyers what they did and then the NBA's man marbles are in a tight sling! Bruski = KJ, in other words not a reliable source!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 1:42 pm
  • Yes they can actually. They can invoke the best interest clause, as was done in New Orleans, and then secure a sale of the team to a local owner who has the intent to make a good faith negotiation with the city to build an arena. They will match the original 525 million figure, and then say the first bid was the only one they see as binding and since they are matching that the maloofs have no legal recourse.

"What David Stern wants..." indeed

The ball would then be in HBN's court, they would have to sue saying the NBA colluded to disrupt their binding transaction, of course then Stern would threaten no NBA ever if we don't settle out of court. Then....
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 1:53 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Yes they can actually. They can invoke the best interest clause, as was done in New Orleans, and then secure a sale of the team to a local owner who has the intent to make a good faith negotiation with the city to build an arena. They will match the original 525 million figure, and then say the first bid was the only one they see as binding and since they are matching that the maloofs have no legal recourse.

The ball would then be in HBN's court, they would have to sue saying the NBA colluded to disrupt their binding transaction, of course then Stern would threaten no NBA ever if we don't settle out of court. Then....

If that was the case, I'd be fine with Hansen going nuclear in court. At that point I wouldn't want the nba anywhere near Seattle.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 1:56 pm
  • From what I've heard is certain conditions need to apply for them to use that clause,
    and they dont here, Besides that, the NBA knows that it wouldn't hold up in court! Like I've said this is going to end up with a court settlement in which Seattle will get a team! Stern is an ignorant and arrogant price of "work" who thinks he is above he law!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 1:58 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Yes they can actually. They can invoke the best interest clause, as was done in New Orleans, and then secure a sale of the team to a local owner who has the intent to make a good faith negotiation with the city to build an arena. They will match the original 525 million figure, and then say the first bid was the only one they see as binding and since they are matching that the maloofs have no legal recourse.

Also Sterns threats carry no weight anymore, Seattle played nice and still got hosed! Stern has already used the threat card and it carries about much power as a 3 year olds tantrum!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 2:31 pm
  • It was Shinn's idea to have the NBA buy the Hornets, not a hostile takeover by the NBA. That hasn't been done before and it would be an almost guaranteed losing proposition by the NBA. I think it's extremely unlikely they even try that, no matter what Stern wants.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 3:30 pm
  • A takeover would be stupid for reasons i outline earlier.

But I don't understand why some are still afraid to go to war with the NBA? What's the worse that happens? They tell us we'll never get a team? And we're back to where we have been the past five years but with peace of mind that we will never be used again? I'm down with it. We cannot be used as a threat. It's happened once with the Hornets when the NBA was trying to find a buyer you'd hear things about them possibly coming to Seattle, and now this.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 12, 2013 3:38 pm
  • The NBA doesn't have the resources to fight this battle. Everything you're hearing in the media is good news for Sonics fans.

Remember, it's always the guy with the losing position who makes the most noise. If the NBA had any options, and didn't already know the owners intended to approve sale to Hansen, you wouldn't be hearing any of this stuff.

And I can tell you the Seattle side has zero intention to quit. Been telling y'all for a minute now. Trust me. Seattle is in it to win it and they got the big boys at the table just waiting for Stern to hit the red button first. But that won't happen because the last thing the owners want is a battle that opens their books. Remember, they were just telling the NBAPA how poor they are. You really think the NBA wants a suit in court with buyer, seller and employees as plaintiff? I'll go ahead and answer that one. That's be a big NO.

Anyway, little bird says things are just getting rolling. You ain't seen nothing yet
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 3:53 pm
  • I should add that little birdy tells me negotiations look good for Seattle bid. There's a rumor owners intend to vote for Hansen deal and NBA is hustling behind the scenes to make Hansen group happy and go away. No intention to do so.

This could all be wrong but so far little birdy has been pretty spot on, even when literally everyone else was saying opposite stuff.

To add, rumor about owner support is strong. Birdy had good reason to believe and strategy is being put together as if it's a pretty sure thing. Again, might mean nothing, is not coming from the NBA so who knows what happens in the end. All I know is that it makes sense and fits in with everything I've heard. If you were an owner and a second rate team sold for that much would you turn it down? What would that do for Miami, LA, etc. Those teams would be worth a cool billion overnight. Who turns down a billion?
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 3:58 pm
  • Y'all should also remember that stern is an employee who works for the owners. He doesn't get to just make stuff up as he goes along, so relax. All that best interest stuff has no chance if the owners pick the Hansen bid.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 pm
  • HansGruber wrote:Remember, it's always the guy with the losing position who makes the most noise. If the NBA had any options, and didn't already know the owners intended to approve sale to Hansen, you wouldn't be hearing any of this stuff.

I'm sorry i'm not following the logic here. The NBA isn't making much noise, at all. It's the HBN group doing the bell ringing.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Remember, it's always the guy with the losing position who makes the most noise. If the NBA had any options, and didn't already know the owners intended to approve sale to Hansen, you wouldn't be hearing any of this stuff.

I'm sorry i'm not following the logic here. The NBA isn't making much noise, at all. It's the HBN group doing the bell ringing.

Suckramento
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Remember, it's always the guy with the losing position who makes the most noise. If the NBA had any options, and didn't already know the owners intended to approve sale to Hansen, you wouldn't be hearing any of this stuff.

I think he was talking about Sac making the noise. Hansen has made basically no "noise", unless you count real action noise.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:

I think he was talking about Sac making the noise. Hansen has made basically no "noise", unless you count real action noise.

LOUD NOISES!!!
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 pm
  • No it was the Sac group making the noise, the NBA or Stern kissing Sacramentos ass with nothing showing anywhere, Hansen just reacted to the situation with ACTION, something nobody else has done. The ACTION was reported and now the NBA and Sacramento are in re - ACTION mode and still have no plan and are looking worse every day.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 12, 2013 4:20 pm
  • @TedGaines: We will not stand by and allow Sacramento to be pushed around by out of state billionaires trying to do an end run. #NBAKings

He's a california state senator FYI
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:23 pm
  • Trying to buy an asset from the owners of said asset is an end run?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:26 pm
  • Well he's wrong, Hansen works and lives in San Francisco.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 12, 2013 4:29 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:@TedGaines: We will not stand by and allow Sacramento to be pushed around by out of state billionaires trying to do an end run. #NBAKings

He's a california state senator FYI

Another politician spouting off, sigh.........Being a politician he should be well aware on how the world works. (see he who has the most $$$ usually wins, as sucky as that might be)

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 10:09 pm
  • So what is California going to do, pass a law in less then a week that forbids selling to people outside the state?

Or have the State put up the 1 billion dollars to buy and build a arena in Sacramento? They still have to break laws due to the contract already in place with the Maloofs. Secondly where is the reason for the NBA to reject Hansens offer period. His is first best and complete with all the money on the table and a 30 million good faith payment already paid. The contract was done weeks ago, I can't see anything being passed that would be retrocative to the first of the year and legal in the first place. I suppose someone could go over the contract with a fine tooth comb but I don't think the Hansen and Balmer group have lawyers that are prone to mistakes and this group has been very plodding in how they make sure duck in a row, act, next phase ducks in a row act. The NBA and Sacramento have been throw at a dart board hoping something sticks.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 am

Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 am
  • Welp, now that Phil Jackson officially isn't coming up to help save my Raptors i'm back to being all in on Seattle getting the team.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 5:50 am
  • Wow.....The relocation committee will have a new vote in light of all the cheddar.

Pulling out all the stops for what is likely our only shot at a franchise in Seattle.

I would switch allegiances.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 am
  • Atradees wrote:Wow.....The relocation committee will have a new vote in light of all the cheddar.

Pulling out all the stops for what is likely our only shot at a franchise in Seattle.

I would switch allegiances.

Its not exactly a new vote, two weeks ago was just a recommendation. 15th is the final vote where it becomes official.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 am
  • This thread is deadly, the ups and downs are killing me!
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 am
  • Spokane wrote:This thread is deadly, the ups and downs are killing me!

well its probably gonna peak sometime during the next 3 days...
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 am
  • Might peak today depending if we get a leak, or official news from the meeting/conference call today. But Wednesday is most definitely the day where ish will hit the fan.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 am

Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 am

Mon May 13, 2013 8:56 am
  • I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of the expansion talk and to make both cities "whole" again. Such BS. Did the NBA give a rip about Seattle when they took the Sonics to OKC? Nope, Stern threatened the city with never getting the NBA back and our "leaders" caved.

The league is already too big with 30 teams. The talent is diluted and the product as of now is pretty weak. Adding another team (purely from a talent perspective) makes the product even weaker. The league needs to stop messing around and Stern needs to remove himself from this situation quickly. Seattle has by far put together the best offer and the best interest for the league is to NOT expand and to give Seattle the Kings. But that would make too much sense for some like the Sith Lord Stern...

Something better leak today and it better be good news for Seattle. This has gone on long enough and what Stern is doing to Hansen and Ballmer is the sleaziest of sleazy moves.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 9:39 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of the expansion talk and to make both cities "whole" again. Such BS. Did the NBA give a rip about Seattle when they took the Sonics to OKC? Nope, Stern threatened the city with never getting the NBA back and our "leaders" caved.

The league is already too big with 30 teams. The talent is diluted and the product as of now is pretty weak. Adding another team (purely from a talent perspective) makes the product even weaker. The league needs to stop messing around and Stern needs to remove himself from this situation quickly. Seattle has by far put together the best offer and the best interest for the league is to NOT expand and to give Seattle the Kings. But that would make too much sense for some like the Sith Lord Stern...

Something better leak today and it better be good news for Seattle. This has gone on long enough and what Stern is doing to Hansen and Ballmer is the sleaziest of sleazy moves.

:th2thumbs:
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 am
  • I wonder what changed between then and now.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?xid=si_nba

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:03 am
  • “But our goal here is to keep all of our teams where they are,” Stern said, “but recognizing that that hasn’t been a goal that we have successfully achieved in the past.”

Stern is a damn idiot
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am
  • JOz56 wrote:I wonder what changed between then and now.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?xid=si_nba

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

Who knows........it is Stern were talking about.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information