NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm
  • drdiags wrote:The part I don't understand is how this doesn't shaft the Maloofs? What is their motivation to sell to these guys when the NBA turns down Hansen?

This is the part that made me laugh my ass off when I read the initial news. No way the Maloofs aren't pissed off by this aspect of it. It's essentially a way for the Sac group to up their bid w/out it equating to more compensation for the actual owner.

While it sucks for them it must have made some of the other owners laugh their respective asses off because they'd essentially be saving themselves money while denying some to the Maloofs.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 pm
  • some how someway I don't think the maloofs sell to the sac group. I think if they get screwed they are going to get theres in litigation.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 pm
  • hawkcrazzed wrote:some how someway I don't think the maloofs sell to the sac group. I think if they get screwed they are going to get theres in litigation.

They still stand to make a helluva profit from what I understand. Would you take $341M and no headaches over $361M minus legal fees, death threats and having your name drug through the mud endlessly?

Personally I'd take the $341M and find a nice quiet beach.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm
  • Hansen might make it worth their while to kick up a big stink.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 pm
  • Speaking of big stink, the NBA will have the putrid stench of the troll that is David Stern on it many years after that miserable assclown is gone! I see lawsuits against the NBA from H/B/N in Stern and Silver's future!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm
  • Stern isn't even really retiring, he's going to remain in a consultant role. Probably kind of like how Putin wasn't president of Russia for a while.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm
  • lol on sonicsrising.com they are talking about how this could mess with the cba they just signed huge.

@TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm
  • hawkcrazzed wrote:lol on sonicsrising.com they are talking about how this could mess with the cba they just signed huge.

It's tough for owners to claim that they're struggling to make any money and then deny a move from a weak market to a strong, growing market, first of all. They have chosen "less money" as their option here, even though they're supposedly so hard up for cash.

Secondly, this $18m that is being "waived" by the Sac group as a part of this deal? That goes to the players. That's less money for Sacramento to spend on free agents, signing their own, etc. etc. So not only has the league selected Podunk, CA as the market they'd like to reside, they're actually making their players pay for it, in a sense.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 pm
  • I can see the players go bat shit crazy over this. But might be too late for are guys buying it. But with setting the president of we will sell to who we want and when. That last cba did not go so well for the nba. And I can see it hurting them years down the road. Forgetting about sac and adding so much more fuel to the fire for the players to hold out for more.

hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Hansen might make it worth their while to kick up a big stink.

With all of the hand holding that the league has done w/ Sac, I can only imagine how that would play in court.

Judge: "So, tell me again why you chose the offer from the Sacramento group?"

NBA: "Well, they offered less of their own money, while offering to take less of our money (in revenue sharing) and at the same time give more money (from their tax payers)."

Judge: "But based on these numbers, they can't afford to do that..."

NBA: "*shrug* It's public money. They'll just have to raise some taxes and cut back on a few of 'the extras' for a while."

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 am
  • Actually, I think the Sacramento revenue-sharing kickback is going to blow up in the NBA's face. It's just too blatant of a violation of the Sherman Act. There is ZERO chance that any federal court would allow any business to price-fix one of its franchises by handicapping or fixing future earnings, especially in an obvious attempt to thwart an existing transaction that establishes a "market value", regardless of whatever exemption the NBA believes would entitle it to such an arrangement. Any conflict with the CBA would be a separate issue, and I don't believe it would be seen as harshly in a federal court as the price-fixing and revenue agreement.

The Sherman Act was written to prevent EXACTLY the type of situation that is currently happening with the NBA. The only anti-trust exemption given to professional sports leagues pertain to marketing, player contracts (covered by CBA) and other operational aspects of its franchises WITHIN the law. For instance, the NBA is allowed to negotiate exclusive broadcast deals as a single body, and enforce that deal with all of its member franchises. But you still can not blatantly price-fix your franchises in order to manipulate the market, and you most definitely CAN NOT fix the earnings of your franchises.

That is clearly spelled out in the Sherman Act, and Stern is a goddam idiot for thinking he could side-step that. Not even Ma Bell was that brazen. Not even Microsoft was that stupid.

At this point, I think an anti-trust lawsuit would be devastating to the NBA. And I think the revenue-sharing agreement would be Exhibit A from the Hansen/Maloof attorneys. If the Hansen/Ballmer group can convince the Maloofs to join their suit, I don't see any possible way the NBA comes out a winner. I think things will get very ugly for the NBA, especially if the NBAPA piles on.

However, I will be bummed if the Sonics return. I find the NBA disgusting and want nothing to do with it. It is a league of fixed officials, fixed games, fixed outcomes. You know that no matter what happens in the next 5 years, it's going to be all Miami for a while. You knew at the beginning of the season it was going to be the Heat in the Finals. That's just the reality of the NBA. In my mind, it is the least interesting of any professional sport because there is zero "chance" at any level. Even the draft lottery is fixed. And towns who somehow find the right players to draft - those players just go play where they want once their guaranteed contract is up, they all get together and decide to play in LA or Miami and that's it, no other team stands a chance for the next decade. It's worse than the pre-cap NFL.

So why do we want that back again?
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 2:09 am
  • Why would you be down if they come back? No ones making you go or watch. It's nothing to just ignore it, it's so easy to ignore things. I do it all the time with the Mariners, I don't even know who plays on the team this year aside from Felix. So why would you be bummed?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 am
  • HansGruber wrote:Actually, I think the Sacramento revenue-sharing kickback is going to blow up in the NBA's face. It's just too blatant of a violation of the Sherman Act. There is ZERO chance that any federal court would allow any business to price-fix one of its franchises by handicapping or fixing future earnings, especially in an obvious attempt to thwart an existing transaction that establishes a "market value", regardless of whatever exemption the NBA believes would entitle it to such an arrangement. Any conflict with the CBA would be a separate issue, and I don't believe it would be seen as harshly in a federal court as the price-fixing and revenue agreement.

The Sherman Act was written to prevent EXACTLY the type of situation that is currently happening with the NBA. The only anti-trust exemption given to professional sports leagues pertain to marketing, player contracts (covered by CBA) and other operational aspects of its franchises WITHIN the law. For instance, the NBA is allowed to negotiate exclusive broadcast deals as a single body, and enforce that deal with all of its member franchises. But you still can not blatantly price-fix your franchises in order to manipulate the market, and you most definitely CAN NOT fix the earnings of your franchises.

That is clearly spelled out in the Sherman Act, and Stern is a goddam idiot for thinking he could side-step that. Not even Ma Bell was that brazen. Not even Microsoft was that stupid.

At this point, I think an anti-trust lawsuit would be devastating to the NBA. And I think the revenue-sharing agreement would be Exhibit A from the Hansen/Maloof attorneys. If the Hansen/Ballmer group can convince the Maloofs to join their suit, I don't see any possible way the NBA comes out a winner. I think things will get very ugly for the NBA, especially if the NBAPA piles on.

However, I will be bummed if the Sonics return. I find the NBA disgusting and want nothing to do with it. It is a league of fixed officials, fixed games, fixed outcomes. You know that no matter what happens in the next 5 years, it's going to be all Miami for a while. You knew at the beginning of the season it was going to be the Heat in the Finals. That's just the reality of the NBA. In my mind, it is the least interesting of any professional sport because there is zero "chance" at any level. Even the draft lottery is fixed. And towns who somehow find the right players to draft - those players just go play where they want once their guaranteed contract is up, they all get together and decide to play in LA or Miami and that's it, no other team stands a chance for the next decade. It's worse than the pre-cap NFL.

So why do we want that back again?
    the main reason I want them back is I want an NHL team, which won't come unless we get a new arena. Though I think a Hansen owned team would be interesting to watch!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 am
  • 100 pages??!!! Can't imagine what will happen once these lawsuits start flying! :stirthepot:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 am
  • This whole ordeal is just ridiculous and the NBA has egg on their face.

Seriously, they ripped out our team in Seattle and gave it to the shitty market OKC. Now they are denying a move from Sacramento to Seattle. The league is crap, losing tons of money and is denying what would be the richest ownership group. F them...(but yes I want the Kings BADLY! ;) )
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am
  • Per Chris Daniels:

Sources close to #NBASeattle group tell me they had, months ago, agreed to revenue sharing cap w/NBA.

Those same sources say #NBASeattle team would not be a revenue sharing recipient, and that was part of their original deal with NBA.

This issue had flared up after yesterday’s @SBJSBD report Sacramento group was willing to forgo rev sharing, if NBA chooses to stay in Sac

How in the hell did these idiots make all their money? This type of crap is going to get the league sued! And I see that KJ is asking Chris Hansen and CO. to "take the high road and be gracious..."

This is all a circus. Unreal.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am
  • Is anyone else just done with this to the point they don't care if it comes back or not?. A couple days back I realized what Hans just pointed out. The NBA is a huge joke, fixed worse then the WWE probably. Close to everything associated with the NBA is corrupt. The playing field is completly unbalanced with bigger market teams usually doing better than small markets making it predictable and boring to fallow unless your really into it.
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 am
  • jhawk91 wrote:Is anyone else just done with this to the point they don't care if it comes back or not?. A couple days back I realized what Hans just pointed out. The NBA is a huge joke, fixed worse then the WWE probably. Close to everything associated with the NBA is corrupt. The playing field is completly unbalanced with bigger market teams usually doing better than small markets making it predictable and boring to fallow unless your really into it.

Like I said, at this point I am perfectly content airing their dirty laundry. I'm done with the threats and the circus that has gone on. Bring the bastards down.
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 am
  • JOz56 wrote:Per Chris Daniels:

Sources close to #NBASeattle group tell me they had, months ago, agreed to revenue sharing cap w/NBA.

Those same sources say #NBASeattle team would not be a revenue sharing recipient, and that was part of their original deal with NBA.

This issue had flared up after yesterday’s @SBJSBD report Sacramento group was willing to forgo rev sharing, if NBA chooses to stay in Sac

How in the hell did these idiots make all their money? This type of crap is going to get the league sued! And I see that KJ is asking Chris Hansen and CO. to "take the high road and be gracious..."

This is all a circus. Unreal.

I wish Hansen would just smack the crap out of that smug little son of $&@$. No he won't bow out graciously and watch as Seattle gets screwed again. As much as I said I don't care. I hope we do get them just in spite of KJ and that whole Sac group.
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 am
  • drdiags wrote:From my brief read on things, the possible ~$18M/yr the perspective Kings owners are forfeiting is money that was intended to be used for player acquisition (eventually). Sacramento wouldn't get any of that one way or the other (unless it is taxable by the city), so this doesn't overtly impact Sacramento one way or the other, correct?

The new Kings owners are rolling in dough, just not all tied up in owning the club, so taking losses for awhile until the new arena is complete most likely doesn't put them in a panic.

The part I don't understand is how this doesn't shaft the Maloofs? What is their motivation to sell to these guys when the NBA turns down Hansen? Allowing the potential owners to leverage a promise of not taking funds from the NBA seems like an unfair advantage unless the NBA allowed the Hansen group the same opportunity. Confusing detail in this saga. There must be an understanding with the Maloofs that when the Hansen deal is rejected that they are willing to accept the offer from the local investors.

Does the NBA turn around and approve the alternate deal May 15th or do they have to go through this process all over again as far as filing for sale of the club to the NBA? Thereby restarting the clock before it becomes official?

What happens is Stern preemtively grants ownership, by Emperial fiat, instantly to the Sac group.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am
  • At this point, I don't know what excites me more - the thought of getting the Sonics back, or the thought of watching H/B/N unleash a lawsuit that could fundamentally alter and/or cripple the NBA as a whole.

As plenty of others have mentioned, the NBA was in my doghouse even before the Sonics were stolen. All pro sports leagues operate as cartels/monopolies, do plenty of underhanded shit, and serve as tax $$ funnels to help build private real estate empires for certain owners .... but the NBA has definitely been the most brazen, corrupt & ruthless of the Big 4.

If Seattle could be the city that smacks the NBA down in court - airs the dirty laundry, stains Stern's reputation forever, and costs the other Owners millions ... that's a victory I would personally relish as much as any on-field win or Championship.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 pm
  • [quote="vedthree"]At this point, I don't know what excites me more - the thought of getting the Sonics back, or the thought of watching H/B/N unleash a lawsuit that could fundamentally alter and/or cripple the NBA as a whole.

If Seattle could be the city that smacks the NBA down in court - airs the dirty laundry, stains Stern's reputation forever, and costs the other Owners millions ... that's a victory I would personally relish as much as any on-field win or Championship.[/quote]

Yup. All of this. I'm curious to the thought process of when they realized H/B/N weren't going to back down.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 12:11 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:
    vedthree wrote:At this point, I don't know what excites me more - the thought of getting the Sonics back, or the thought of watching H/B/N unleash a lawsuit that could fundamentally alter and/or cripple the NBA as a whole.

If Seattle could be the city that smacks the NBA down in court - airs the dirty laundry, stains Stern's reputation forever, and costs the other Owners millions ... that's a victory I would personally relish as much as any on-field win or Championship.[/quote]

Yup. All of this. I'm curious to the thought process of when they realized H/B/N weren't going to back down.

Was your sig from after the 42-13 beatdown? Because, that might have been what gave him the headache - not the noise :lol:
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Had an interesting chat with an attorney buddy this afternoon, all about anti trust law in sports. He mentioned some very interesting facts that I haven't heard in the media to this point, and he strongly believes the NBA has exposed itself to some major liability. In fact, he believes that I'd Hansen chooses to fight, we might very well be seeing the end of the NBA as we know it.

I'm typing on my phone so I'm going to try to summarize quickly.

Historically, leeway is given to"natural"monopolies as long as they don't engage in anti competitive practices and/or market fixing.

The majority of anti trust cases in America since the Sherman Act was written have primarily focused on employment issues and the feds have been clear that they don't want to intervene there and strongly prefer CBAs. Arbitration has been the primary resolution with the courts choosing to avoid ruling against cbas. Very few awards or punitive actions have been taken here, with the general result being that both sides are strongly "encouraged" to establish a CBA, often under the stern glare of the feds.

However, the courts have taken the opposite approach when there is evidence of market manipulation or price fixing. That is the main focus of the Sherman Act and the federal courts have shown an intensely negative response when there is evidence of this. No CBA or any contract or franchise agreements have succeeded in protecting businesses in this case and the federal courts have handed down their most severe punitive awards and even broken up businesses like Ma Bell when shown persuasive evidence that price fixing had occurred. Price fixing and market manipulation are defined within the Sherman Act and one of the main definitions is when a franchise colludes among its operators to manipulate the cost of a member franchise or inhibit the free market sale or operation of a franchise. The Sherman Act specifically points out that artificially handicapping the cost/valuation of a franchise to benefit one party or harm another is especially harmful to the idea of free enterprise and is forbidden in any instance, no matter the reason.
    Last edited by HansGruber on Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm
  • HansGruber wrote:My buddy also tells me there is word in the legal community that Ballmer is on a warpath and has retained multiple firms who specialize in anti trust. He said an "army" is being put together with the full intention of going nuclear on the NBA. *Edited because my friend asked me not to share some specific data* Apparently, it ain't so hush hush, busy tells me there are multiple firms and attorneys trying to get in on the action as it could be landmark and nobody in the community believes the NBA stand a chance.

All rumor, take out for what it's worth. I found the anti trust stuff interesting.

It may be rumor, but I definitely WANT TO BELIEVE! :twisted:

I simply can't imagine what's going through Stern's head. I haven't dealt with Anti-Trust since a basic class that I barely passed in law school almost 10 years ago ... that's why it simply blows my mind what the NBA is doing. I mean, if it's enough to set off alarm bells in MY head, then WTF is someone like Stern (who's supposedly an expert in the subject) doing playing with fire like this? And the second thought that immediately crossed my mind is why is he doing this to someone like Steve Ballmer, who 1) has a notorious temper, and 2) deals in the world's biggest anti-trust cases on a daily basis?
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 pm
  • Removed by request
    Last edited by HansGruber on Tue May 07, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm
  • I can't help but feel that we are missing something with this. The NBA has always excelled at covering their own ass, such a blatant violation of antitrust laws seems to be an astounding act of hubris. Stern was a lawyer before he was the commish, how could he do this without knowing he could exploit some kind of loophole? He's an arrogant, egotistical ass, but he's also, without a doubt, the most sly commissioner in professional sports.

With that said, the spectre of Ballmer eviscerating the NBA is an extremely exciting one and I hope all the rumours of him gathering arms are true.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 pm
  • vedthree wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:My buddy also tells me there is word in the legal community that Ballmer is on a warpath and has retained multiple firms who specialize in anti trust. He said an "army" is being put together with the full intention of going nuclear on the NBA. *Edited because my friend asked me not to share some specific data* Apparently, it ain't so hush hush, busy tells me there are multiple firms and attorneys trying to get in on the action as it could be landmark and nobody in the community believes the NBA stand a chance.

All rumor, take out for what it's worth. I found the anti trust stuff interesting.

It may be rumor, but I definitely WANT TO BELIEVE! :twisted:

I simply can't imagine what's going through Stern's head. I haven't dealt with Anti-Trust since a basic class that I barely passed in law school almost 10 years ago ... that's why it simply blows my mind what the NBA is doing. I mean, if it's enough to set off alarm bells in MY head, then WTF is someone like Stern (who's supposedly an expert in the subject) doing playing with fire like this? And the second thought that immediately crossed my mind is why is he doing this to someone like Steve Ballmer, who 1) has a notorious temper, and 2) deals in the world's biggest anti-trust cases on a daily basis?

Very simple Ved, Stern and the NBA beleive they are untouchable, they bully and bait, play people off against each other to simply maximise their profits. Most times the people involved are held hostage with the if you sue us you will never get a team threat. Well most Cities have not dealt with what we have, a freind of the commisioner wanted a team and Seattle was the perfect environment to get him one. When Balmer thru his hat in the ring to buy at the last part of the situation Stern rebuffed him saying to late and used the Slade Gordon emal in court to derail us being able to fight.

This as you stated is the one city that has prviously fought the NBA and won with the Spencer Heywood situation, I still think that it leaves a foul taste in the mouth of the NBA.

Now you have Hansen and Balmer with an obviuos better bid, better arena deal and all the I's dotted and T's crossed being held hostage and being told that it isn't good enough that you pay for everything less the loan your taking for the Arena and will pay back as well as give the Arena to the City in a planned transfer plus renovate the existing Arena.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice and mock us in public we will own the NBA also. KJ I hope you have a second job, when those protected emails come out I'm sure your hands are going to be dirty up to your armpits with Stern and some politicains in that Honey Bucket your bobbing for apples in.

Balmer and Hansen have the means and the experience to take on the NBA, Microsoft takles on continents and whole countries in class action and patent infringement cases, Anti Trust against a entity that has shown a track record of skewing things for their own gain and I'm sure there is a laot of case history and settlements that were made of things we are not aware of that legal eagles will be able to get their hands on.

The fact that the competition committee is headed by the guy who took the team out of Seattle to begin with could be questioned in so much that he doesn't have a impartial opinion and is too close to the situation.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:I can't help but feel that we are missing something with this. The NBA has always excelled at covering their own ass, such a blatant violation of antitrust laws seems to be an astounding act of hubris. Stern was a lawyer before he was the commish, how could he do this without knowing he could exploit some kind of loophole? He's an arrogant, egotistical ass, but he's also, without a doubt, the most sly commissioner in professional sports.

With that said, the spectre of Ballmer eviscerating the NBA is an extremely exciting one and I hope all the rumours of him gathering arms are true.

I think he honestly believe he can placate Hansen and Ballmer with the promise of expansion.

I also think he knows where it gets legally sticky is at the BOG meeting. The NBA hasn't done anything illegal yet. That doesn't happen until they reject the sale. At that point though,I honestly don't know what he's thinking. I'm no attorney but I've read the Sherman Act and rejecting the Hansen bid would be a clear violation and a pretty obvious birdy flip at the feds. That's why i don't think the sale will be rejected. I think the owners realize what they're dealing with and nobody wants to kill the golden goose.

I don't believe anything is close to settled. Things are about to get ugly. It's a bad situation for the NBA. The only real hope for the NBA is that they can somehow make the Maloofs happy while screwing Hansen. But the NBA is acting as if they don't really care. We have to remember though that we only see the public stuff. There is a lot of talk about meetings behind the scenes and that something is going down in New York right now.
    Last edited by HansGruber on Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 3:18 pm
  • Everything I've heard from any and every credible news outlet tells me we have nothing. Stern is a lawyer and an extremelt sluck one at that. I dislike the man with an extreme passion. That said he's not an idiot. His I's are crossed and his T's are dotted.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm
  • As has been mentioned, the fact that the finance committee did not vote was very interesting. I'd imagine that the NBA was chewing on the legal implications of even so much as a finance committee vote.

The idea of Ballmer and Hansen retaining top flight anti-trust attorneys / firms makes me happy in the pants.

"I'm sorry Mr. Stern, I cannot advise you as our New York office has been retained by the opposing party. If you like, I can refer you to a more affordable attorney in Sacramento."

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Everything I've heard from any and every credible news outlet tells me we have nothing. Stern is a lawyer and an extremelt sluck one at that. I dislike the man with an extreme passion. That said he's not an idiot. His I's are crossed and his T's are dotted.

You're giving Stern too much credit! He is a lawyer but not a good one. He lost the Spencer Haywood case! If he was a good lawyer he would know his nuts are in a vice and he would grant Seattle either the Kings or immediate expansion team to make the pain stop! Stern's ego and arrogance are blinding him and will be his and the NBA's downfall! Stern has never faced the economic monster the likes of Hansen/Balmer!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 07, 2013 3:52 pm
  • Credible news outlet? When was the last time they called one single thing in this whole process? So far, they've been wrong at literally every step.
    Last edited by HansGruber on Tue May 07, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm
  • Stern may have been a lawyer, but as it was shown in the Oklahoma deal they made a bunch of mistakes out of arrogance and self entitlement. The only derailment was the fact that Slade Gordon had a email that showed there were some second set of negotiations outside the loop they had not disclosed. If that had not happened or if it had been less incriminating we would still have the Sonics because everything else showed Bennett was less then truthful about his intentions and Stern was backing him 100 percent and was just as dishonest.

Cuban and Paul Allen I think both would support the Hansen group, NBA has messed with both of them several times. Allen because he is more wealthy then all the other owners combined, Cuban because he isn't status Quo. Both do what they pretty much want.

You don't think that Balmer and Allen have had discussions as "FREINDS"? Pretty sure they the NBA isn't looking forward to the political firepower that this Egyptian group of men along with basically inexhaustable money to put towards anything they want, let alone with any motivation to correct what they think could be a wrong.

I will also add, I think KJ and Stern have been milking this for what they could get as far as consessions, I'll bet the emails they are not disclosing shows some sort of insider information on what they are trying to do.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 07, 2013 4:47 pm
  • I've been asked to stop sharing specifics but I just heard some news that should make Sonics fans thrilled.

Just know this:
    The Ballmer Hansen team is for real, they have Stern in a corner right now, there is no legal way to deny the Hansen sale, and as we speak, plans are being put into effect.

The irony of all this is that I hate the NBA, have never really cared about the Sonics, yet for the first time in my life, I got to hear some breaking news that few are privy to. Always wished I could get a secret Seahawks scoop but never got one. I'm a nobody. But sitting here right now bouncing in my seat, excited for you Sonics fans, and wish I could share. Keep the faith. Shit is about to get real.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 5:19 pm
  • :3:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 5:21 pm
  • Asked to STOP sharing specifics? Was there a post where you did do so?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm
  • HansGruber wrote:I've been asked to stop sharing specifics but I just heard some news that should make Sonics fans thrilled.

Just know this:
    The Ballmer Hansen team is for real, they have Stern in a corner right now, there is no legal way to deny the Hansen sale, and as we speak, plans are being put into effect.

The irony of all this is that I hate the NBA, have never really cared about the Sonics, yet for the first time in my life, I got to hear some breaking news that few are privy to. Always wished I could get a secret Seahawks scoop but never got one. I'm a nobody. But sitting here right now bouncing in my seat, excited for you Sonics fans, and wish I could share. Keep the faith. Shit is about to get real.

Your holding back. Friends don't do this. Spill your guts. :pukeface:
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 pm
  • Mitch from KJR tweeted something that KJR was going to talk about but I had to go watch my nephews baseball game instead of waiting thru their 20 minute gauntlet of commercials. ...And I don't twitter........Anyone hear what it was? He seems to have an "in" with the H/B/N group.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm
  • You can just go on SonicsRising. I posted Hans' most recent post that he deemed fit for consumption just as an inspirational rumor about Ballmer's resolve, but those guys dug up everything he posted and plastered it on the thread there.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 6:10 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Mitch from KJR tweeted something that KJR was going to talk about but I had to go watch my nephews baseball game instead of waiting thru their 20 minute gauntlet of commercials. Anyone hear what it was? He seems to have an "in" with the H/B/N group.

Somebody Mitch knows, who he brought to the Sonics ownership group as a potential investor (he was turned down as they were trying to limit the number of investors) was approached by the Sacramento group, who have apparently hired an outside firm to seek out more investors for their bid. The guy, who apparently is friends with Mitch and, as Mitch described him, is someone who is well known to be potentially interested in investing in an NBA team. Apparently they asked him if he'd like to invest X amount, he said no, they came back and asked him if he'd like to invest Y amount instead, he said no, then they asked him 'what about Z?' he said no. Apparently the guy was laughing at the end of the last call over how absurd the whole thing was.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 6:12 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:You can just go on SonicsRising. I posted Hans' most recent post that he deemed fit for consumption just as an inspirational rumor about Ballmer's resolve, but those guys dug up everything he posted and plastered it on the thread there.

I do go there, and didn't see anything, I love the info at that place but the format is not my fav!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:You can just go on SonicsRising. I posted Hans' most recent post that he deemed fit for consumption just as an inspirational rumor about Ballmer's resolve, but those guys dug up everything he posted and plastered it on the thread there.

I'm not to saavy with that site, but, I couldn't find it? Any guidance?
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm
  • Add me to the list Pinksheets. I went looking at the front page of SonicsRising and the fan posts but saw nothing. Maybe there is a discussion forum I should have gone to.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue May 07, 2013 6:27 pm
  • The thread is "Waiting In The Wings: Adam Silver".

It's 420+ comments deep already, but to find my post which started the whole thread of discussion, do a ctrl+F find and search for "6:22 PM", sans the quotes obviously. That's the time of my post and should help you find it quickly.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 pm
  • Actually, I can make it easier than my initial idea and easier than Throwdown's better idea.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2013/5/7/42 ... #161554071

Links right to my initial post on the subject, other commenters filled out the rest of the information.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm
  • We're gonna just one up each other huh?

See if I buy you a McDouble, sir.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 07, 2013 6:42 pm
  • Thanks you guys!
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue May 07, 2013 6:43 pm