NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 02, 2013 1:59 pm
  • I'm not sure whether to like or hate such minimal-information tweets -_-
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I don't know how plugged in Brock Huard is but he's dropped a few tweets here.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 2h
    Let me be unequivocally clear with #sonics : Work is going on behind the scenes in NYC as we tweet.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 1h
    This is no gut feeling, or speculation. Work is ongoing in NYC. The billion dollar question is what does it mean and what is the remedy? TBD

Whats the work? make an excuse to Seattle so we don't burn the bridge?

Can we please have some actual info and not vague tweets! Come on Brock!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu May 02, 2013 2:12 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I don't know how plugged in Brock Huard is but he's dropped a few tweets here.

Let me be unequivocally clear with #sonics : Work is going on behind the scenes in NYC as we tweet.

This is no gut feeling, or speculation. Work is ongoing in NYC. The billion dollar question is what does it mean and what is the remedy? TBD

There is no info.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:The Kings aren't coming. Just stop already. They did what they had to to retain the team. Its over.

Far from over. There's still the matter of the sale, which I can't see going against Hansen. Like many have said before, if the sale to Hansen gets rejected it opens grounds for a lawsuit which could threaten the entire league.

And as far as the team actually moving, I'm not so sure the the League has legal grounds to stop the team from moving even if they voted against it. I know this was brought up before when Bennet was looking to move the Sonics to OKC.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm
  • drdiags wrote:I am not well versed in this entire story. The 7% and 65% slice is well known now, but who comprises of the other 28% and why wouldn't they have Right Of First Offer? Are these other minority owners just 1-6% ownership type slices? I am going to assume so, since it would make sense with the current reports I see from time to time about the deal. Must be like those 20+ Million dollar offers KJ rounded up.

I don't know for sure either, Dr. I've been trying to google what I can.

The ROFO is in the Kings' main Franchise Agreement, basically says that whenever a controlling interest is sold any minority owner can use the ROFO to step in and match, and in the case of matching offers the minority owner wins.

So I would assume that everyone involved with that remaining 28% each has their own ROFO. Which probably explains why Sacto wasn't completely motivated to grab the 7% in Bankruptcy (plus they simply couldn't front the cash at the time) - so figured they could still use a ROFO from that remaining 28% as their own, and figured the NBA's ability to reject Hansen's purchase of the 7% was all the protection they needed.

But, IMO that was a big tactical error on their part. If Hansen can keep control of even just his minority share, he can counter any Sacto ROFO with his own and turn it into another bidding war that he's going to win.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I don't know how plugged in Brock Huard is but he's dropped a few tweets here.

and Blitzer is now slowly crawling away from the cliff's edge :D
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 2:28 pm
  • Thank you for your continual injection of completely logic based hope this week Vedthree. I hope that things are as they appear, that Hansen is already two steps ahead of the NBA and Sacramento.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I don't know how plugged in Brock Huard is but he's dropped a few tweets here.

Kind of easy for me to dismiss Brock as a talking head, but IIRC he's been heavily involved with a lot of real estate development down in SoDo and probably has some legit connections to the Hansen group through that avenue.

Cautiously Optimistic.

If Vegas had odds, I'd put my money on a guarantee of an expansion team with timeline to start play in 2014 or 2015 (as soon as Arena is complete). That's my sincere hope.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm
  • salamander wrote:This from Danny Oneil
    http://mynorthwest.com/422/2264433/King ... hould-stay

Try to read it with an open mind.

Even with an open mind this is some pussy ass shit right here.
    Not to mention its all based on whether the Sac group actually has the money or not so until they do I'm not sure why any Sonics fan would give up hope...FLAME ON!!!!!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 3:42 pm
  • Don't give up. The last thing the NBA wants to do is enter litigation. Every time it has come up in MLB,NFL or the NBA a compromise is worked out.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 4:06 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 2h

Can we please have some actual info and not vague tweets! Come on Brock![/quote]

There is no info.[/quote]

I'm right there with you Cali, I don't know what possible options we have, but I don't think Brock would say this without having some knowledge of something.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 am
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    And don't read this one unless you just want to be pissed off... (from 2008)
    http://www.nba.com/news/sternsonicsstatement_080702.html

Under the circumstances outlined above, the NBA would be happy to return to the City of Seattle.”

Bennett was lying 5 years ago, still lying. :roll:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 am
  • Someone on a Sacbee article was asking about the status of the escrow money that's due today. Someone responded with:

Vivek put 340 million rupees into escrow, and is hoping that nobody notices that it's about 5.9 million in U.S. Dollars.

:lol:
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 9:17 am
  • Hahahaa
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 am

Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Sacbee article on Sac groups arena plan:

http://m.sacbee.com/sacramento/db_99761/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=snJ7ge39

So the city says public money will fund 58% of the arena, critics say public money will fund 75%. So realistically its probably somewhere in the middle. 66.5%

So 2/3 of the arena paid by Sac tax payers. It'll be interesting to see if they can push that through, good luck. Sounds like they have a battle ahead of them.

Seattle arena plan? Already approved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... idies.html

Here's Why the NBA Is Forcing the Sacramento Kings' Owners to Accept a Low Bid

At first glance this seems perverse.

it seems to all go back to the arena. You see, in addition to offering $365 million for the team, the Seattle bidders were offering to build a brand new arena for the Kings. By contrast, the Sacramento bidders managed to persuade the city of Sacramento to build a brand new arena for the Kings. The Seattle bid, in other words, would have set a good precedent for the future of American public policy. And the owners didn't want that.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm
  • Well well well!!! They finally put some money up!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri May 03, 2013 2:21 pm
  • Now I am drunk right now, but.

Couldn't Hansen/Ballmer pay for PUSA, Sirmix Alot, Mackelmore and Kevin Calabro to put on an outdoor show in new york, pay for a ton of sonics fans to go out there and just throw a big "we have more culture, better fans, and more money," middle finger to the league?
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm
  • I like the idea. However I paid 8 bucks to see Sir-mix-alot in downtown Seattle about 7 years ago and I would say he has lost his egde.
    He would not play "Big Butts"...I wanted my money back!

Remember its not over till its over. Its just like a NFL free agent signing...out of no where a team pops in and takes the FA. Seattle is still in this!
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    E.C. Laloosh wrote:Sacbee article on Sac groups arena plan:

http://m.sacbee.com/sacramento/db_99761/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=snJ7ge39

So the city says public money will fund 58% of the arena, critics say public money will fund 75%. So realistically its probably somewhere in the middle. 66.5%

So 2/3 of the arena paid by Sac tax payers. It'll be interesting to see if they can push that through, good luck. Sounds like they have a battle ahead of them.

Seattle arena plan? Already approved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... idies.html

Here's Why the NBA Is Forcing the Sacramento Kings' Owners to Accept a Low Bid

At first glance this seems perverse.

it seems to all go back to the arena. You see, in addition to offering $365 million for the team, the Seattle bidders were offering to build a brand new arena for the Kings. By contrast, the Sacramento bidders managed to persuade the city of Sacramento to build a brand new arena for the Kings. The Seattle bid, in other words, would have set a good precedent for the future of American public policy. And the owners didn't want that.

Here's the irony, the NBA may be screwing themselves in more ways then one if that is their attitude. Other cities are going to look at the cautionary tale of how the NBA screwed the capital of one of the biggest states in the union with their outlook on things. Other potential owners are going to see the "you can't sell who you want to, you can't take the team where you want to without our position, deal with," and say "screw that." Plus all the forthcoming lawsuits and antitrust cases. Even if we come away with nothing, I am completely fine burning the league at this point.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 am

Sat May 04, 2013 3:00 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:The Kings aren't coming. Just stop already. They did what they had to to retain the team. Its over.

Far from over. There's still the matter of the sale, which I can't see going against Hansen. Like many have said before, if the sale to Hansen gets rejected it opens grounds for a lawsuit which could threaten the entire league.

And as far as the team actually moving, I'm not so sure the the League has legal grounds to stop the team from moving even if they voted against it. I know this was brought up before when Bennet was looking to move the Sonics to OKC.

The Sacramento arena deal is also a debacle. There is a local lawsuit against the team. Stern has his head way WAY up his hug, soft, womanly ass. I have no idea why I said that.
    OUT OF CONTROL NINER FANS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/11/26/ ... f-control/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Sun May 05, 2013 12:36 pm
  • It's too quiet on this front! Hope H/B/N are crushing skulls behind closed doors!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 05, 2013 7:41 pm
  • Calm before the storm...
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 am
  • I don't like how quiet it's been
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 am
  • I swear if u listen to brock and danny or anybody on espn this is over time for a funeral. you listen to kjr it seems like they are ready for a damn fight. I swear its the offseason and the mariners suck. Why espn is talking mariners on loop and the sonics as its an after thought is really pissing me off.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 am
  • They are being allowed to keep the team because of this...

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/06/5398439/sacramento-kings-dallas-nba.html

The investors trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento made key concessions to the NBA, including a promise to limit the amount of league revenue sharing they would accept, according to a published report.
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 am
  • hawkcrazzed wrote:I swear if u listen to brock and danny or anybody on espn this is over time for a funeral. you listen to kjr it seems like they are ready for a damn fight. I swear its the offseason and the mariners suck. Why espn is talking mariners on loop and the sonics as its an after thought is really pissing me off.

KIRO is the flagship station of the Mariners and carries their games, the M's don't want the Sonics or NHL, so you are not getting an unbiased source there.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 am
  • I think this will end with H/B/N sueing the bejesus out of the NBA and Seattle getting a team thru settlement!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 am

Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 am
  • JOz56 wrote:They are being allowed to keep the team because of this...

The investors trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento made key concessions to the NBA, including a promise to limit the amount of league revenue sharing they would accept, according to a published report.

In other words, they grabbed their ankles... Stern (while being a gigantic a-hole) got exactly what he wanted. No wonder the owners love 'em.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 am
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    JOz56 wrote:They are being allowed to keep the team because of this...

In other words, they grabbed their ankles... Stern (while being a gigantic a-hole) got exactly what he wanted. No wonder the owners love 'em.

Yay?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:They are being allowed to keep the team because of this...

Huh.

So factor that in, with the public money handout being used for their new arena... there ya go.

29 other rich guys = Happy.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 12:37 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Yay?

Enjoy. I'll laugh my ass off if SEA somehow wrestles an expansion team out of the NBA. Meanwhile Sacramento (the city) goes bankrupt because they happily let themselves be bent over a trash can in a dirty alley by David Stern.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 pm
  • there is no way that sac can support this and when all the people that put it in place so they can go bankrupt get voted out. then what they are in the same place they were in.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 12:58 pm
  • The latest news about the concessions just tells me that the Sacramento ownership group will say or do anything to get a team regardless of the lack of feasibility of fulfilling these promises.

The city of Sacramento will look back and realize all of this back bending to keep this team has screwed the city more than it already is. They want to play it like that, fine, keep your team and I will laugh when the entire situation bursts into flames and the teams for sale in five years and the city is bankrupt.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 1:45 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:The latest news about the concessions just tells me that the Sacramento ownership group will say or do anything to get a team regardless of the lack of feasibility of fulfilling these promises.

The city of Sacramento will look back and realize all of this back bending to keep this team has screwed the city more than it already is. They want to play it like that, fine, keep your team and I will laugh when the entire situation bursts into flames and the teams for sale in five years and the city is bankrupt.

Yup, the NBA is going into very, very dangerous territory here. You can bet your ass the players association is keeping a close eye and documenting all of this. This is not going to end well
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:The latest news about the concessions just tells me that the Sacramento ownership group will say or do anything to get a team regardless of the lack of feasibility of fulfilling these promises.

Your perceptions about Sacramento are ridiculous. Sacramento is not Stockton, Sacramento is not in trouble. You are also completely ignoring the economic benefits of having a basketball team and an arena in downtown. The fact of the matter is the city of Seattle didn't do what Sacramento is doing and that is why they don't have a team.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Mon May 06, 2013 2:25 pm
  • salamander wrote: The fact of the matter is the city of Seattle didn't do what Sacramento is doing and that is why they don't have a team.

I don't think you know what a 'fact' is.

The city of Seattle and King County didn't want to 100% finance an arena with public money. Which was the right decision. It wasn't a real offer/arena plan from Bennett. It was designed to fail. It gave him his excuse to steal the team.

Look at the arena plan Hansen came up with, good plan = approved by city and county. Understand?

The Sonics left because Schultz sold the team to a slimy snake from Oklahoma who had no intention of keeping the team here. It was business games played by billionaires. Nothing the city or the fans could do about it.

Please stop trying to make up reasons other than that as to why the Sonics left.

If you want to be mad about Hansen trying to buy the Kings fine, but please stop trying to act like you know why the Sonics left. Just stop...
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 2:42 pm
  • I was referring to the amount of effort/interest/fight Sacramento is putting in to keeping the team. It's my understanding that if the city of Seattle had done the same the NBA would not have allowed the Sonics to be moved.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Mon May 06, 2013 2:54 pm
  • salamander wrote:I was referring to the amount of effort/interest/fight Sacramento is putting in to keeping the team. It's my understanding that if the city of Seattle had done the same the NBA would not have allowed the Sonics to be moved.

That's not true at all. There was we could do. The citizens didn't want to fully fund an arena which was what was proposed and it was an offer designed to fail as Twisted stated. They were moving the day Bennett bought them.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon May 06, 2013 2:54 pm
  • salamander wrote:I was referring to the amount of a** pounding Sacramento is taking to keep the team. blah.. blah blah... blah blah... blah dee blah

Fixed.

Oh, and the guy who wrote the article was on KJR this afternoon:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/pages/ianfurness_page.html

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 3:24 pm
  • Salamander, you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the situation in 2008. Maybe sit a few plays out and/or do some research and stop reciting talking points you heard from your Mayor.

Sacramento isn't Stockton, but its not in great shape either. This deal will not help your city and your team, especially if all these concessions are actually inked.

Take the blinders off and think independently.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm
  • salamander wrote:I was referring to the amount of effort/interest/fight Sacramento is putting in to keeping the team. It's my understanding that if the city of Seattle had done the same the NBA would not have allowed the Sonics to be moved.

Except, none of that is true. We didn't want to fund an arena 100% percent. We wanted the possible owners to give atleast some of it back. And once we said no to that, we weren't allowed to fight for our team. Don't kid yourself in believing that you "fought" for your team. Stern and the owners are going along with this because Sacramento is willing to keep the team over the well being of their own city. I don't know how you can't see this isn't good for Sacramento.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 3:36 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:Stern and the owners are going along with this because Sacramento is willing to keep the team over the well being of their own city.

This is the type of BS that I can't stand from Seattle fans. There is absolutely no evidence that this deal will harm the city in any way. You bring this up to justify your hatred at not getting the team. It's bogus. We have people in government fighting their ass off to keep the team in Sacramento. We are also not paying any more in taxes...the funding is coming from parking revenues for parking lots the city owns but currently sit empty. The arena will draw people to town and fill up those spaces.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Mon May 06, 2013 3:43 pm
  • This is a pleasant fiction you live in. There is contrary evidence, but it hasn't come from the pro-arena people you are getting all of your information from. It's as flimsy as a wet paper bag.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 3:49 pm
  • Salamander, you should try reading some of the articles coming out of your own press down there. They aren't all painting a happy picture of that arena plan.

Hell, the Sac group are getting so much government subsidy help, they're willing to give up an additional $18,000,000.00/year that would come from the league rather than tax payers.

Like I said... ankles...

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information