NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 pm
  • Aros wrote:Stern and company can eat a giant bag of hairy dicks.

The level of injustice is astounding. One thing that I don't hear anyone mentioning is what about the 30 million Hansen and company gave to the Maloofs making their contract binding? I could see the potential for some legal action ahead.

They were discussing this on KJR, and it sounds like if Seattle wants to dash any hope of a future team, then a big 'ol lawsuit over the binding contract would be the way to go.

Being a glass half-full kinda guy, I think there will be some developments in the next few weeks that will get our hopes back up. I'm still not ruling out expansion, especially after the NBA brass sees all the vitriol flowing out of Seattle. Believe you me, they would still love to have the NBA back in Seattle, they just need to figure a way to move a different team, or expand. It ain't over guys, but now we're gonna have to wait... again... for things to develop. Having a team here next fall just always sounded too good to be true... And being a life-long Seattlite, I'm used to us getting screwed. Good 'ol Seattle luck, ya know?

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 pm
  • As mush as I love Chris Daniels and his reporting, him trying to convince people about how only the relocation committee voted today and not the finance committee and how things could turn in our favor is kinda sad. Really it just feels like he is trying to feed us false hope.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:46 pm
  • Sad for the Sonics fans. I would not put it past them to start another ABA type League.

These are people that do not take losing easily.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:50 pm
  • I'm ready to call it quits with the NBA. That shitty, crooked league has screwed us one too many times
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Kings attendance ranks in the past 5 years...
    2012-2013 - 30th (LAST)
    2011-2012 - 27th
    2010-2011 - 29th
    2009-2010 - 29th
    2008-2009 - 30th (LAST)

But attendance is part of the reason the Sonics were moved? Sac offers less money, less of a plan and have awful attendance. Stern must genuinely have it out for Seattle

Obviously it wasn't Stern. Couldn't have been. I mean, wasn't the return of the Sonics supposed to be his last hoo-rah? The vote was unanimous, after all.

This is what the Times said: "NBA Commissioner David Stern had said his preference was to not relocate a team, and his support of Sacramento’s offer was likely a critical part of the team staying put."
    SEAHAWKS SHOULD TRADE TERRELLE PRYOR TO RAMS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/08/27/ ... -the-rams/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Kings attendance ranks in the past 5 years...
    2012-2013 - 30th (LAST)
    2011-2012 - 27th
    2010-2011 - 29th
    2009-2010 - 29th
    2008-2009 - 30th (LAST)

But attendance is part of the reason the Sonics were moved? Sac offers less money, less of a plan and have awful attendance. Stern must genuinely have it out for Seattle

Obviously it wasn't Stern. Couldn't have been. I mean, wasn't the return of the Sonics supposed to be his last hoo-rah? The vote was unanimous, after all.

This is what the Times said: "NBA Commissioner David Stern had said his preference was to not relocate a team, and his support of Sacramento’s offer was likely a critical part of the team staying put."

Of course it was Stern! I mean there is no other logical explanation as to why the Kings should stay put.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:15 pm
  • People seem to be forgetting that Bennett chairs the committee. Bennett clearly does not favor Seattle.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Feels like I got sucker punched in the nuts, was starting to feel optimistic :-(
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 pm
  • I'm shocked.

Like I said, we won on every objective measure.

Better market.
    Better television deal.
    Better building.
    Better corporate support.
    Far better spending power per capita.
    Better ownership group.
    Better arena plan in general.
    Better for revenue sharing.
    Better chance of a competitive, engaging team (Ranadive has said he wants to use a "moneyball" approach, which means more and more years of constant sucking.)

We're just unquestionably a better city.

We didn't get beat by Sacramento and it's grassroots support, though that'll be the way they mythologize this, we got beat by the backroom politicking of David Stern, yet again.

And good on Sacramento for keeping their team, but I'm not going to be able to help but laugh when either that entire arena deal falls apart, the team ends up moving somewhere else anyhow, or the entire city just goes bankrupt because they thought it wise to give up the ghost to keep that city's only claim to fame (and it's a small one) in town. I want it to blow up in the NBA's face and spoil their public subsidy model forever, because Seattle is done. Maybe the next generation will be willing to go after the NBA again, but I'm checking out.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm
  • This must be a real touching moment for Kevin Johnson, not "touching" like his molestation of teenage girls, but in the emotional way.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:34 pm
  • I'm over it. I don't want an exapsion team. Forget the NBA.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:I'm over it. I don't want an exapsion team. Forget the NBA.

Yup. This. Screw that league. I'll laugh next lockout when they are asking for more.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Wow...

NBA is finished

There fixed if for ya! The NBA is again officially dead to me now! Since this isn't the shack I'll leave it at that
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm
  • Aros wrote:Stern and company can eat a giant bag of hairy dicks.

The level of injustice is astounding. One thing that I don't hear anyone mentioning is what about the 30 million Hansen and company gave to the Maloofs making their contract binding? I could see the potential for some legal action ahead.

Sue the NBA and put that lyin sack of S that is the little man stern on the stand and under oath and he will perjure himself!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:49 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Sac will never build the arena. Seattle got punked by the NBA.

And Sacramento just punked the NBA, like you said, that new arena will never get built, as they don't have the cash!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm
  • If St. Hansen isn't able to get a public commitment of an expansion team, on a timeline he agrees to, I hope he sues the everloving bejeebus out of the NBA. We know how much the behind-the-door promises of David Stern are worth.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm
  • Snohomie wrote:If St. Hansen isn't able to get a public commitment of an expansion team, on a timeline he agrees to, I hope he sues the everloving bejeebus out of the NBA. We know how much the behind-the-door promises of David Stern are worth.

I agree. Everybody says that if he does we'll never get a team back, but fine, that's where I'm at anyways. Go nuclear on the NBA. If they can scorch earth here then we'll return the favor.

And as Mitch pointed out on KJR today, this all to keep the team in Sacramento, an absolute crap market. It almost seems like a joke.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Snohomie wrote:If St. Hansen isn't able to get a public commitment of an expansion team, on a timeline he agrees to, I hope he sues the everloving bejeebus out of the NBA. We know how much the behind-the-door promises of David Stern are worth.

I agree. Everybody says that if he does we'll never get a team back, but fine, that's where I'm at anyways. Go nuclear on the NBA. If they can scorch earth here then we'll return the favor.

And as Mitch pointed out on KJR today, this all to keep the team in Sacramento, an absolute crap market. It almost seems like a joke.

Yup, at this point I'm aiming to ruin the NBA. I don't care if it leads to never getting another team, they have made it clear they don't want us.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Snohomie wrote:If St. Hansen isn't able to get a public commitment of an expansion team, on a timeline he agrees to, I hope he sues the everloving bejeebus out of the NBA. We know how much the behind-the-door promises of David Stern are worth.

What can you sue for though? I'm assuming he knew that even if he had an agreement to purchase the team that the other NBA owners would still have to approve relocation. Clearly Seattle is getting screwed, but it doesnt seem like within the system they did anything you could sue for.

I'm not trying to take the NBA's side, just asking the question.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 pm
  • I'm as disappointed as the next guy but some of you are getting pretty "Fatal Attraction" about it. Sucks but give it a few days to let things shake out. If anything, someone should just publish David Stern's cell phone number once a month so he has to keep changing it. Don't get mad, get even ;)
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm
  • https://twitter.com/TheMontyShow

SF Sports guy who has been saying that Sacramento would keep the Kings and talking Seattle expansion for at least a week. More accurate than most so far. He's saying that Hansen and NBA are working on an expansion deal.

Public announcement or it never happened. I hope Hansen remembers that he is dealing with a snake.

J - I imagine it would be an antitrust suit launched "by" the Maloofs (paid for by Hansen), claiming the NBA is a monopoly denying them the right to sell their team for what it is worth.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:

What can you sue for though? I'm assuming he knew that even if he had an agreement to purchase the team that the other NBA owners would still have to approve relocation.

I'm not trying to take the NBA's side, just asking the question.

If they deny the sale, there are antitrust implications, regardless of what NBA by-laws are, they don't trump federal law. The NBA is a de facto monopoly that one could argue coerces all parties into waiving legal rights due to being the only game in town. If they refuse to consider expansion, there are antitrust implications there as well, as it can be argued that this de facto monopoly is acting as a cartel that unfairly constricts the number of teams to line their own pockets. If Hansen actually took over the team and they tried to deny relocation again, there's always the antitrust route Al Davis took against the NFL, as well. These are 30 separate businesses, not one company that actually grants "franchises" in the sense that McDonalds does. When a Tampa Bay ownership group was denied their perfectly sound PSA to buy the SF Giants with the intention of relocating, they sued the MLB, the MLB panicked and granted Tampa expansion. These professional sports leagues basically operate on wink and nudge type agreements that everybody involved has an aligned interest not to see this whole thing blow up, because they do operate on very shaky legal ground. It's why during the past NFL lockout there was a lot of talk, and even a lawsuit started (which was pulled back when an agreement was reached) that would have nuked the entire concept of the NFL draft. I have no idea if Hansen and Ballmer would even consider going this route, but if anybody knows some good antitrust attorneys, it's going to be Steve Ballmer.

The NBA's greatest weapon against antitrust suits is that they have the deep pocket books to stay in the legal process game longer than most potential plaintiffs, not a strong basis in law.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm
  • Steve Sandmeyer ‏@SteveSandmeyer 1h
    Welp...there goes my theory RT @ChrisDaniels5 NBA Commish David Stern just spoke on @NBATV - said expansion not on table
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm
  • The antitrust route is a dubious route. One, nobody has denied a sale yet. Plus the by laws do play a role. The fact of the matter is nobody has really won an antitrust suit of this nature, so there is no case law on point. The lockout correlation is the wrong one to make. Different issues. Courts are not kind to owners suing their partners. They are more open to players suing, but its still very expensive.
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm
  • sue the shit outa them worked for the mariners. funny how an orginaztion like the mariners could set a precident in a team they don't want back.
    the nba doesn't want to be here fine. need to stand up and take the fight to them.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm
  • NorCal wrote:The antitrust route is a dubious route. One, nobody has denied a sale yet. Plus the by laws do play a role. The fact of the matter is nobody has really won an antitrust suit of this nature, so there is no case law on point. The lockout correlation is the wrong one to make. Different issues. Courts are not kind to owners suing their partners. They are more open to players suing, but its still very expensive.

There isn't case law on this because the leagues never let it get that far. They set up certain criteria for considering relocation and sales agreements so that they have something legally defensible, as opposed to trying to just blatant exert absolute control. If taken to court, I'd love to see them explain why staying in Sacramento makes more economic sense than the Seattle relocation, and it's why the NBA does not want Hansen and Ballmer pushing for an ownership vote, because they have no reason to deny them. If they could show an ownership group is not economically viable, they have nothing to fear in court, but other than that, owners can sell to who they want, and really, can move teams to where they want. Like I said, they are counting on those parties not having the balls to take them to court, not on a strong legal foundation. Like I said, the MLB balked at the lawsuit against them by the Tampa group that had a sound PSA to buy the Giants, and that league even has some antitrust protection, the others have none.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm
  • This news just ruined my week, and it's only Monday. =(
    I like a little...
    Science In My Fiction
    mech.romance
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:00 pm
  • Now I'd love to see the Maloof's say "ok, fine. We're not selling then. So where's our new arena? Let's get this done!". That'd be great!

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
  • Funny thing is, I'm not even sure Stern cares about the size of the market for teams. Why else would he support the Sonics to OKC, arguably the smallest market in all of pro sports. There's more going on underneath the surface.
    Feed the Hawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:13 pm
  • Snohomie wrote:https://twitter.com/TheMontyShow

SF Sports guy who has been saying that Sacramento would keep the Kings and talking Seattle expansion for at least a week. More accurate than most so far. He's saying that Hansen and NBA are working on an expansion deal.

Public announcement or it never happened. I hope Hansen remembers that he is dealing with a snake.

J - I imagine it would be an antitrust suit launched "by" the Maloofs (paid for by Hansen), claiming the NBA is a monopoly denying them the right to sell their team for what it is worth.

I don't see expansion happening. I mean Mitch Leavy called Ballmer and put his responses on twitter and he believed expansion was out of the question and than Stern tonight echoed that same sentiment. Its all over, and its a shame. Just life as a Seattle sports fan.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:13 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:Now I'd love to see the Maloof's say "ok, fine. We're not selling then. So where's our new arena? Let's get this done!". That'd be great!

This would also make me happy. Fold that paper tiger.
    Feed the Hawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm
  • I find it odd that the Sac group has until Friday to get their act together. The hell happens if they don't?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:28 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I find it odd that the Sac group has until Friday to get their act together. The hell happens if they don't?

Stern will continue to give them extensions.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I find it odd that the Sac group has until Friday to get their act together. The hell happens if they don't?

Yup. If you haven't realized it already, this game is rigged.

Eff Stern. What a scumbag.
    Cad
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:44 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I find it odd that the Sac group has until Friday to get their act together. The hell happens if they don't?

Pretty much. Stern will give them as much time as they need.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:47 pm
  • This is just total spitballing here, as I think we're totally screwed, but hear me out anyways:

If they don't come up with the money, whose fault is that? At this point, the NBA has gone above and beyond to help Sacramento, even going so far as to having the committee recommend to keep the team there. If they don't put the money together, though, what's to stop the BoG from reversing course? At that point, the NBA has made it abundantly clear that they have done absolutely everything they can, and all of the blame would fall on the Sac investment group. The NBA hasn't officially denied anything yet. Let's just wait and see if that money goes through, keeping in mind, that no matter what, this bid and that arena plan are not feasible in Mad Max, California.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:This is just total spitballing here, as I think we're totally screwed, but hear me out anyways:

If they don't come up with the money, whose fault is that? At this point, the NBA has gone above and beyond to help Sacramento, even going so far as to having the committee recommend to keep the team there. If they don't put the money together, though, what's to stop the BoG from reversing course? At that point, the NBA has made it abundantly clear that they have done absolutely everything they can, and all of the blame would fall on the Sac investment group. The NBA hasn't officially denied anything yet. Let's just wait and see if that money goes through, keeping in mind, that no matter what, this bid and that arena plan are not feasible in Mad Max, California.

Whatever you're having, I'll take some.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:This is just total spitballing here, as I think we're totally screwed, but hear me out anyways:

Whatever you're having, I'll take some.

Just saying....

The alternative, which is obviously by far the most likely at this point, is we see a city collapse under the weight of its own moronic whoring of itself to keep the NBA, an arena plan that will never come to fruition, and a mediocre ownership group overpaying for a team that only works in that market by putting out a nickel and dime roster. That city, that market, and that team are going to be a cautionary tale.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:36 pm
  • Sacremento has 2 billion dollars of debt, how can they afford a new arena?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:38 pm
  • Debt schmebt. They just follow the lead of the federal government.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 pm
  • I'm not giving up hope until Chris Hansen does.

He was pushing for this arena when the Kings looked like they had an arena deal in Sacramento last year. He knows he can get a team.

And from what's being put out on the Twittersphere, this fight isn't over. Let's not fall into the woe is me Seattle sports fan stereotype...regulators...mount up.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm
  • Uhhhhhhhhhh does anyone have any idea what it means when Hansens people are saying that this ain't over yet???
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm
  • I think it means that Chris Hansen has what Sacramento never will:

More than $7 to his name.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:52 pm
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm
  • lol I don't wanna hear that song, its gonna bring up some emotions n shit, and being a #humblethug follower i cannot shed tears.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 pm
  • Listen to it.

I'm sitting around, having some of this cheap sh*t whiskey I bought, and I'm kind of just done feeling defeated. Let's either win this thing, keep on fighting, or go down swinging. No other options.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information