NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:44 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Kings attendance ranks in the past 5 years...
    2012-2013 - 30th (LAST)
    2011-2012 - 27th
    2010-2011 - 29th
    2009-2010 - 29th
    2008-2009 - 30th (LAST)

But attendance is part of the reason the Sonics were moved? Sac offers less money, less of a plan and have awful attendance. Stern must genuinely have it out for Seattle

Obviously it wasn't Stern. Couldn't have been. I mean, wasn't the return of the Sonics supposed to be his last hoo-rah? The vote was unanimous, after all.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm
  • The NBA is dead to me :229031_banghead:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Kings attendance ranks in the past 5 years...
    2012-2013 - 30th (LAST)
    2011-2012 - 27th
    2010-2011 - 29th
    2009-2010 - 29th
    2008-2009 - 30th (LAST)

But attendance is part of the reason the Sonics were moved? Sac offers less money, less of a plan and have awful attendance. Stern must genuinely have it out for Seattle

Obviously it wasn't Stern. Couldn't have been. I mean, wasn't the return of the Sonics supposed to be his last hoo-rah? The vote was unanimous, after all.

Bennett.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm
  • I knew this was coming, this is why I am always negative, BECAUSE IT ALWAYS GOES AGAINST US SEATTLE FANS!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Kings attendance ranks in the past 5 years...
    2012-2013 - 30th (LAST)
    2011-2012 - 27th
    2010-2011 - 29th
    2009-2010 - 29th
    2008-2009 - 30th (LAST)

Bennett.

Yea, that vote was unanimous too.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:

Bennett.

Yea, that vote was unanimous too.

What I mean is that he heads the relocation committee. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to extensive efforts to get everyone to vote for Sac.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:54 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:What I mean is that he heads the relocation committee. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to extensive efforts to get everyone to vote for Sac.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if I had to glom onto just one theory...
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Is it illegal to send dog poop in the mail? Serious question.
    Zybot
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Love this...

NOT SportsCenter NBA ‏@TheNBAonNOTSC 39m
    BREAKING: Bad news for the City of Sacramento, they will unfortunately keep the #Kings. Have to feel bad for those fans.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 pm
  • What has this city done in its existence to deserve this, the first move, and XL*?
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:04 pm
  • Words can't express how disappointed and pissed off I am right now.

But before I completely throw in the towel I want to hear from Hansen/Ballmer and see if something else shakes out from the BOG meeting. On Hansen's side, there's just too much work & investment already made for him to let this drop - the land's been purchased, the agreements with the city for the arena are all hammered out.

The Owners are going to vote for what makes them the most $$$ in the long-run. As has been said, this probably gave Sacramento a bigger edge than we realized - allowing the move after Sacto had bent over backwards to come up with a viable (although not nearly as good) offer to keep the team would've destroyed the NBA's leverage in any future arena/relocation dispute. They could always point to Seattle as an example of "you don't do business with us, and we're gone" well, if they left Sacto, then any city could simply say, "and even if we do work with you, we can get screwed"

But still - the situation here in Seattle is so strong, the ownership group is loaded, the market is swimming in dough ... getting a team back here is nothing but a $$$$ rain-shower for the League.

Stern is the only one that has acted like expansion's not an options (and he's a smarmy 2-faced bastard and was probably trying to keep the pressure on both bidders) I still can't believe that the owners would be so short-sighted to rule out expansion as well at this point.

That's what I'm still hoping happens - we get the immediate guarantee of an expansion team that starts play in a year. That's the way it should've been ever since Hansen stepped up.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Worst thing is.........what does Chris Hansen do? I doubt he just sits around and waits on the land he has bought, plus mayor McGinn may not be re-elected as his opponent is very anti-arena thus causing it to become much harder to pass in the near future. I hate David Stern, knew he would screw us again!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm
  • mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 6m
    Just got off the phone with Steve Ballmer. He is "horribly, horribly disappointed" in this news.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 3m
    Steve was incredibly emotional on the phone. He and the group will continue their communication w/Stern and the NBA.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
    Ballmer said that he and Chris Hansen and the rest of the group will put their heads together and see if there is a reasonable next step.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm
  • Zybot wrote:Is it illegal to send dog poop in the mail? Serious question.

http://poopsenders.com/
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 pm
  • This makes no sense to me. The city of Sacramento has shown almost no love for Kings for the last few years (I know, I live and hour away) and then all of a sudden they love the Kings because they are leaving. Of course there are the die hard fans who have been true, but mostly people couldn't care less about the Kings. Except now people are throwing money and their voices all over the place to try and keep them.

Give it a year or two and they'll go back to the way things were.

This is pathetic.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm
  • What about the possibility of the Bucks moving to Seattle?

Should we even get our hopes up?

Also, David Stern...

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm
  • mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
    Ballmer told me that he can't imagine that the city of Seattle will ever have a stronger case and a better situation to acquire a team.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 pm
  • I've said all along that it feels like the NBA is using Seattle to force other teams into building new arena's and then we'll maybe eventually get a bone thrown our way.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 6m
    Just got off the phone with Steve Ballmer. He is "horribly, horribly disappointed" in this news.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 3m
    Steve was incredibly emotional on the phone. He and the group will continue their communication w/Stern and the NBA.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
    Ballmer said that he and Chris Hansen and the rest of the group will put their heads together and see if there is a reasonable next step.

Its over...........NBA is dead.

And that last line worries me the most, will out their heads together and see "IF" there is a nest step. "IF" their isn't say goodbye to Ballmer and Hansen.
    Last edited by Blitzer88 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 pm
  • The citizens of Sacramento are the ones who suffer. A broke city spending money to build an arena they can't fill. Ask their neighbor in Modesto how that went.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 pm
  • If I were in charge of KOMO right now I'd be pre-empting every NBA playoff game on ABC the rest of the season with local programming.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm
  • mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
    Ballmer displayed zero optimism expansion will be offered. Said that he just doesn't think the NBA will share the revenue pie w/more teams.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 53s
    In the midst of his "venting" on the phone, Ballmer did say he feels terrible for Seattle NBA fans for having their hopes dashed again.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:17 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
    Ballmer displayed zero optimism expansion will be offered. Said that he just doesn't think the NBA will share the revenue pie w/more teams.

In the midst of his "venting" on the phone, Ballmer did say he feels terrible for Seattle NBA fans for having their hopes dashed again.

We were just a pawn in the NBA's game.....nothing more, nothing less. We really never had a chance.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm
  • Hansen's fatal mistake was not realizing honesty and transparency were NOT traits David Stern values in NBA franchise leadership.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Now do you understand why I said the NBA is dead to me?
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Basketball sucks....only wanted a Hockey team anyways. Oh well.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m

We were just a pawn in the NBA's game.....nothing more, nothing less. We really never had a chance.

You're probably right.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm
  • I still love you all. Especially you, Throwdown.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm
  • Yep still want a hockey team.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:Basketball sucks....only wanted a Hockey team anyways. Oh well.

I wanted a hockey team here badly. Very badly. Basketball is about on par with baseball to me, but it was obvious from the start that the Sonics were the only way to make that happen. I have been a Sonics supporter for a long time, but that was at least as much a source of my support for this move as any love for the Sonics.

And now Basketball is dead again to me.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Hansen's fatal mistake was not realizing honesty and transparency were NOT traits David Stern values in NBA franchise leadership.

Yep.

He should have bought the Kings with the understanding to stay(lied).

Then asked them to build a 100% publicly funded $600 million dollar arena(fake plan).

Which would get turned down instantly(which everyone knew would happen).

He could then move the team saying the state and city won't cooperate!! Didn't we learn anything from Bennett?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm
  • No Sonics = No NHL
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:Basketball sucks....only wanted a Hockey team anyways. Oh well.

I wanted a hockey team here badly. Very badly. Basketball is about on par with baseball to me, but it was obvious from the start that the Sonics were the only way to make that happen. I have been a Sonics supporter for a long time, but that was at least as much a source of my support for this move as any love for the Sonics.

I still very much enjoy college basketball when it's either the Huskies playing or the tournament.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:

Off-topic. I thought you were heading south permanently. Is that still the case?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 pm
  • I'm not even a basketball guy, but I still wanted the Sonics back. This pisses me off. Doubly pissed off because no NHL either.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:

Off-topic. I thought you were heading south permanently. Is that still the case?

In case he doesnt get back to this thread, that was just an April fools joke he was playin on us. I believe that was Stallone's house (or somebody similar) that he told us he was moving in to.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:

Naw, that was a brilliantly successful April Fool's joke.

And basketball is still dead to me.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm
  • Looks like I get to be the big spoon now, Throw.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm
  • Man. I need to change my avatar now.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm
  • Sorry Sonic fans.

But that was just the recommendation, right? Owners themselves still have to vote? Maybe just a sliver of hope left.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Sorry Sonic fans.

But that was just the recommendation, right? Owners themselves still have to vote? Maybe just a sliver of hope left.

No, its over................
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Only 8 owners need to vote against it next month to kill it, and 12 just committed to it.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 pm
  • I smell another documentary coming on. "Robbed Part 2: Robbed and Jobbed."
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:44 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:Basketball sucks....only wanted a Hockey team anyways. Oh well.

Man shut up, don't no one give a damn how you feel.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Looks like I get to be the big spoon now, Throw.

You aint getting nothing but a body slam into a pit of fire!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

12 owners that made that recommendation unanimously. Pretty dead deal. Unless Chris still wants to go through w/ the purchase, keep the team in Sacramento and then move them in a year or so when the city won't build the arena he demands (Bennett style).

I suppose he could say "yeah, I'm willing to pay for a building in Seattle because the team will actually make money up there..."
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Sorry Sonic fans.

Only 8 owners need to vote against it next month to kill it, and 12 just committed to it.

Isn't relocation majority vote? I think purchase is 75%. So to be real dicks, they could turn down relocation put approve the purchase, which nobody expects to happen.

Just rumblings of a mad man.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:Looks like I get to be the big spoon now, Throw.

I love you.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:55 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:Looks like I get to be the big spoon now, Throw.

I love you.

Man Sac, I love ya, but........I don't think now is the best time to chime in on this matter.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm
  • I feel you Blitzer, but I've taken my lumps on here over the last several months regarding this matter. If I can take some light ribbing and keep a smile is it not fair I hold that same expectation?
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information