NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:Sac town matched Hansens offer.

That's right bitches!
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 pm

No they haven't, they have SAID they matched it, there has not been an official offer shown
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:37 pm

To what extent?

Chris Daniels
    NEW: Two sources confirm Hansen/Ballmer considering upping offer for #NBAKings. I'm told $25m increase being considered.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:38 pm
  • Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
    NEW: Two sources confirm Hansen/Ballmer considering upping offer for #NBAKings. I'm told $25m increase being considered.
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Formally, or are you talking about the report from earlier today where they said they would.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:Sac town matched Hansens offer.

Formally, or are you talking about the report from earlier today where they said they would.

Well I heard the report and saw that Hansen and Balmer were planning to raise the offer so I assumed it would have to be formal
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:Sac town matched Hansens offer.

Well I heard the report and saw that Hansen and Balmer were planning to raise the offer so I assumed it would have to be formal

That is on the condition that the Sac group has indeed matched

Which they haven't
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Sounds to me that Seattle won today :)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 pm
  • Anyone have or know where to find a list of the people part of the Sacramento group? It's gotta be pretty long...
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm
  • Shaz wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

That is on the condition that the Sac group has indeed matched

Which they haven't

So if they havnt FORMALLY matched our offer by the end of today, is that game?
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 pm
  • Pstark3 wrote:So if they havnt FORMALLY matched our offer by the end of today, is that game?

No, they have until the end of the weekend to match, which of course Hansen can up their bid by however much they like

They are basically calling Sacramento's bluff
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Argh! This is essentially how I envision this whole thing going down. Figure out who's who for yourselves.

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm
  • Ye of little faith there Sailor

No worries

Hansen is our guide and he has not steered us wrong yet
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 pm
  • Just now from Chris Hansen:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/an-update

We would like to announce that we have reached an agreement with the Maloofs to raise the price we are offering to purchase the controlling interest in the Sacramento Kings NBA franchise by $25 million — from an enterprise value of $525 million to an enterprise value of $550 million.
    While we already have a binding purchase agreement to purchase the controlling interest in the team, the Seattle Ownership Group has elected to voluntarily raise its purchase price as a sign of our commitment to bring basketball back to our City and our high degree of confidence in our Arena plan, our financing plan, the economic strength of the Seattle market, individual and corporate support for the team and, most importantly, the future of the NBA.
    — Chris Hansen
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm
  • Hansen raises the offer before Sac even officially matches our old offer. Boss status
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm
  • Curtis Crabtree ‏@Curtis_Crabtree 22s
    RT @ChrisDaniels5: BREAKING: Hansen group will acquire 7% that is tied up in bankruptcy court, as Sacramento fails to match. #NBAKings

It's not that I don't believe, it's just that I hear Benny Hill music at every turn with this saga.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Shaz wrote:Just now from Chris Hansen:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/an-update

We would like to announce that we have reached an agreement with the Maloofs to raise the price we are offering to purchase the controlling interest in the Sacramento Kings NBA franchise by $25 million — from an enterprise value of $525 million to an enterprise value of $550 million.
    While we already have a binding purchase agreement to purchase the controlling interest in the team, the Seattle Ownership Group has elected to voluntarily raise its purchase price as a sign of our commitment to bring basketball back to our City and our high degree of confidence in our Arena plan, our financing plan, the economic strength of the Seattle market, individual and corporate support for the team and, most importantly, the future of the NBA.
    — Chris Hansen

I love the, "Just because we can" mentality. Hansen and company decided to go all in before their opponent even had time to call the previous bet.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.

Yes. I am not happy so much. I am too seriously! .. Kap is not a great leader period!! Hurt my heart and s**t my painfully. ..
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Hansen is the Dark Knight that Seattle desperately craved for years
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 pm
  • Blitzer, Hansen owns 7% of the team and has thrown in another $25 mil! It's ok! Celebrate!
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 pm
  • And just like that the Maloofs become 25 million dollars richer when all is said and done. They must be loving this.

This Hanson group sure doesn't mess around and is going for the jugular. 25 million isn't chump change.
    Last edited by Msfann on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:Blitzer, Hansen owns 7% of the team and has thrown in another $25 mil! It's ok! Celebrate!

:240039: :240039: :240039: I can't relax until this is all over and we officially have the Supes back. But no matter what happens, Chris Hansen/Steve Ballmer/Nordstroms are all amazing and I will be forever grateful for the time and effort they have provided for us Sonic fans.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 pm
  • Msfann wrote:And just like that the Maloofs become 25 million dollars richer when all is said and done. They must be loving this.

This Hanson group sure doesn't mess around and is going for the jugular. 25 million isn't chump change.

Found some actual video of the Maloofs:

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 pm
  • I think they are adding $25 million to the total value of the franchise so that would only be an increase of $16.25 million since they are buy 65% the value of the Kings. Not chump change by any stretch, but a strong enough push that they are willing to win should it turn into a bidding war.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 pm
  • :) :) :) :)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 pm
  • Lol @ Dow Constantine using the playing to win to describe Hansen officially upping his offer $25 million. It also seems like Chris might have more in store if needed, we got this.

Blitzer can sleep easy tonight.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Lol @ Dow Constantine using the playing to win to describe Hansen officially upping his offer $25 million. It also seems like Chris might have more in store if needed, we got this.

I haven't been able to sleep easy since this whole thing started.........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Lol @ Dow Constantine using the playing to win to describe Hansen officially upping his offer $25 million. It also seems like Chris might have more in store if needed, we got this.

I haven't been able to sleep easy since this whole thing started.........

Buy some NyQuil haha
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 pm
  • This has been one hell of a roller coaster. Yet I will sleep good tonight. God bless Chris Hansen and God bless the Seattle Seahawks. Peace
    slipwax
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 pm
  • ...Just think what this is going to do to ticket prices...gulp.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 am
  • SirTed wrote:...Just think what this is going to do to ticket prices...gulp.

That's why the arena is partially publicly funded ;)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 am
  • Blitzer needs to go to Sonic Rising, they are calling the whole Sactown thing today basically a bluff. Sac is going all-in with a busted flush draw while Hanson & Co. have quads!

Also check out this from an SI writer as pointed out at by Sonics rising
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/ne ... &eref=sihp
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 am
  • I told you guys, trust Chris. This guy has gotten it done every time we thought things were getting rough. He'll do it again.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:34 am
  • No money from Sac ownership.
    No money to be spent by Sac residents. (garbage retail spending per capita ranking)
    No money to be made in Sacramento.
    No money related calculations that add up in their arena plan.

No money in Sacramento, period.

The NBA needs to grow up and realize where the money is made in sports. It's in strong economies, with markets full of people with decent incomes (not Sac), something close to respectable unemployment rates (not Sac), local governments with respectable credit ratings (not Sac), and where private investors are willing to heavily invest due to the prospects of just making good money without a need for exceedingly unpopular public subsidies (not Sac).

There is just no money in Sacramento. None of the other 3 major professional sports would even lightly consider going into Sacramento. The NBA needs to realize that the idea of one horse small market teams is sweet, but not financially prudent. Move on. If you want to send expansion to Sacramento for sentimental reasons, I guess that's your decision to make, but the smart business move is to extricate yourselves from a declining market with little hope for a resurgence and with literally zero chance of ever being a major market that commands large television revenues for good. Get with the program. Sacramento is an offshoot market that is nice as a place to broadcast bay area sports on TV and nothing more. There isn't money there, besides the slight bits of television revenue you get by hitting a decent number of TV households albeit with very little spending power.

If yo ass is a busta, 206 will regulate.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 am
  • Some very interesting comments in this morning's Times ...

With the issue appearing to grow more complicated by the minute, several league sources also said that the NBA could consider expansion more seriously at its meetings next week in New York. Stern has repeatedly said expansion is not on the table right now, reiterating that statement in New York last week.

But with each group willing to pay a record price for a team and possessing arena plans that have received at least tentative government approval, sources say the NBA might consider expansion as a way out.

Source:
    http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2020769766_sacramento13.html

Honestly, that would be the best news of all. As excited as I am about the return of the NBA to Seattle ... I don't want to take someone else's team. Allowing expansion in this case would be very good news indeed.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 am
  • Hawkscanner wrote:Some very interesting comments in this morning's Times ...

With the issue appearing to grow more complicated by the minute, several league sources also said that the NBA could consider expansion more seriously at its meetings next week in New York. Stern has repeatedly said expansion is not on the table right now, reiterating that statement in New York last week.

But with each group willing to pay a record price for a team and possessing arena plans that have received at least tentative government approval, sources say the NBA might consider expansion as a way out.

Source:
    http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2020769766_sacramento13.html

Honestly, that would be the best news of all. As excited as I am about the return of the NBA to Seattle ... I don't want to take someone else's team. Allowing expansion in this case would be very good news indeed.

It doesn't make much sense to me to give Seattle an expansion team. If all that's been reported is to be believed, we have a more solid financing plan, an arena that will be completed quicker than Sacramento, and a possible television deal. I think what would happen is Seattle gets the Kings and Sacramento gets a couple years to actually get their stuff sorted out.

Even with all the positive news lately I'm still very anxious about this whole thing. I think I'm going to have to call in sick on the 18th and 19th.
    BillHawks
    NET Starter

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 am
  • Both sides are not willing to pay, one side is talking and putting on a show and the other is actually about it. I don't care how many times its said, expansion isn't happening.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:31 am
  • Yeah, I'm with Bill. I think Seattle gets the Kings and Sac gets promise of expansion...IF commitments are met. At this point, it's the only way out of the painted corner Stern and the NBA put themselves in.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 am
  • Well on paper since the Sac money hasn't been fettered out yet we have two groups that are getting close to paying NFL franchise money for an NBA team. The NBA looking at these two groups and having to be saying how the hell do we turn down a half a billion dollar ownership offer and new stadium.

To get out of this with little more then a bloody nose the NBA has to set up something to satisfy both groups and fans. They did not want to have a bidding war and it's turning into that, they have politicians using this as a platform to speak on and in KJ's case work on a election, worst possible situation to have. He won't shut up so not being a legitimate part of the group he is speaking around the gag order.

We have a week to go, I expect more twists and turns, this whole situation going back to losing our Sonics has been like driving the Pacific coast highway with a pregnant passenger who is in labor.

Those on the West Coast that have driven it know what I am referring to, from Washington to California.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/13/5339829/sacramento-group-seeking-to-buy.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#mi_rss=Latest%20News

Sac group has no plans to match Hansen's offer. Seems to me they don't even wanna truly offer anyway.

From the article...
    The Sacramento contingent seeking to buy the Kings held back Saturday from delivering a counter to an increased bid for the franchise from Seattle, instead portraying the new offer as a move of desperation that is unlikely to sway the NBA's decision on which city will get the franchise.

HAHAHA. If Hansen's move was desperation, then what does that make every single move Sacramento has made?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:19 pm
  • Lol it's cute how they spin things down there huh?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:22 pm
  • Because they know anything they offer is going to be 100's of millions of dollars
    Short, and that doesn't even include their new arena! KJ was bluffing all along and is a lousy poker player. Too much false bravado is a sign of a lousy poker player and KJ oozes false bravado!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:25 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/13/5339829/sacramento-group-seeking-to-buy.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#mi_rss=Latest%20News

Sac group has no plans to match Hansen's offer. Seems to me they don't even wanna truly offer anyway.

From the article...
    The Sacramento contingent seeking to buy the Kings held back Saturday from delivering a counter to an increased bid for the franchise from Seattle, instead portraying the new offer as a move of desperation that is unlikely to sway the NBA's decision on which city will get the franchise.

HAHAHA. If Hansen's move was desperation, then what does that make every single move Sacramento has made?

Yeah, pretty rich aint it? :) oh the irony!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:46 pm
  • Golden comments on the article too

I'm glad they are not raising their bid. Everyone knows the Seattle group has more money and could raise the bidding up to $1 billion without blinking an eye. The Sacramento ownership group is better for the NBA. If the NBA doesn't add an expansion team, they are foolish.

The wheezing, rasping and coughing you hear are the last gasps of breath from Seattle's dying hopes.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:50 am
  • BillHawks wrote:It doesn't make much sense to me to give Seattle an expansion team. If all that's been reported is to be believed, we have a more solid financing plan, an arena that will be completed quicker than Sacramento, and a possible television deal. I think what would happen is Seattle gets the Kings and Sacramento gets a couple years to actually get their stuff sorted out.

Even with all the positive news lately I'm still very anxious about this whole thing. I think I'm going to have to call in sick on the 18th and 19th.

I understand what you're saying there Bill ... but I'm just beginning to wonder about whether or not the league might actually do that. I've followed this story fairly closely since news first broke in December of 2011 about Hansen's desire to build an arena in Seattle. I'd say that in listening to Kevin Calabro on a regular basis that he believes you're correct too.

But ... I'm just starting to wonder whether or not an expansion franchise would be the perfect solution here. Honestly, I'm hoping that it is because as I said, I personally don't want to do the exact same thing to Sacramento that Clay Bennett and OKC did to us.

It sounds like from listening to Calabro, Chris Daniels, and others that Stern sees the Seattle situation and what happened there back in 2008 as a real black mark on his resume ... and that he'd love to find a way to rectify the situation before he retires. And looking at the way that he (and presumably others) are treating this Sacramento situation I'd say that's exactly right. The league has bent over backwards and then some for Sacramento because I believe they honestly don't like relocating teams. They don't want to see the exact same thing that happened to Seattle happen in Sacramento as well. They know that they screwed up with Seattle and they realize that this continual carousel of city hopping is honestly bad for the NBA. So, if the NBA Board of Governors determines that the Sacramento group has a legitimately viable financial plan in place that looks like it's on solid ground ... I'm thinking that they'll want them to stay put.

At the same time though, the NBA most certainly DOES want back in Seattle. The Seattle-Tacoma region is the 12th largest TV Market in the country. The prospect of those kind of dollars alone is very enticing. Additionally, they know that basketball was well supported in Seattle for 41 years -- it's been time tested. And at the end of it all (given all of that) I just can't see the NBA walking away from all of all ... and everything the Hansen/Ballmer group could bring to the league. The arena, the market, and the sheer dollars that those investors have? No way I see the NBA walking away from all of that. That's why (crazy as it sounds) I'm beginning to think that an expansion franchise for Seattle might actually be the perfect solution here.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:01 am
  • Hawkscanner wrote:
    BillHawks wrote:It doesn't make much sense to me to give Seattle an expansion team. If all that's been reported is to be believed, we have a more solid financing plan, an arena that will be completed quicker than Sacramento, and a possible television deal. I think what would happen is Seattle gets the Kings and Sacramento gets a couple years to actually get their stuff sorted out.

I understand what you're saying there Bill ... but I'm just beginning to wonder about whether or not the league might actually do that. I've followed this story fairly closely since news first broke in December of 2011 about Hansen's desire to build an arena in Seattle. I'd say that in listening to Kevin Calabro on a regular basis that he believes you're correct too.

But ... I'm just starting to wonder whether or not an expansion franchise would be the perfect solution here. Honestly, I'm hoping that it is because as I said, I personally don't want to do the exact same thing to Sacramento that Clay Bennett and OKC did to us.

It sounds like from listening to Calabro, Chris Daniels, and others that Stern sees the Seattle situation and what happened there back in 2008 as a real black mark on his resume ... and that he'd love to find a way to rectify the situation before he retires. And looking at the way that he (and presumably others) are treating this Sacramento situation I'd say that's exactly right. The league has bent over backwards and then some for Sacramento because I believe they honestly don't like relocating teams. They don't want to see the exact same thing that happened to Seattle happen in Sacramento as well. They know that they screwed up with Seattle and they realize that this continual carousel of city hopping is honestly bad for the NBA. So, if the NBA Board of Governors determines that the Sacramento group has a legitimately viable financial plan in place that looks like it's on solid ground ... I'm thinking that they'll want them to stay put.

At the same time though, the NBA most certainly DOES want back in Seattle. The Seattle-Tacoma region is the 12th largest TV Market in the country. The prospect of those kind of dollars alone is very enticing. Additionally, they know that basketball was well supported in Seattle for 41 years -- it's been time tested. And at the end of it all (given all of that) I just can't see the NBA walking away from all of all ... and everything the Hansen/Ballmer group could bring to the league. The arena, the market, and the sheer dollars that those investors have? No way I see the NBA walking away from all of that. That's why (crazy as it sounds) I'm beginning to think that an expansion franchise for Seattle might actually be the perfect solution here.

It would be ideal to give us an expansion team, but honestly we're ready NOW, Sacramento? not exactly, I think (and with bias) that the best situation for the league would be to leave the Sacramento market for the time being. Let them figure things out with the promise of expansion (if expansion was promised to anyone) when they do. Kind of like Charlotte/New Orleans and what happened, let the team leave and promise the empty city an expansion when things get figured out. Sacramento's had what 10+ years to figure this stuff out and never did? Maloofs or not, if you're as big of basketball fans as you say you are in the government, surely you would've found a way to make something happened that made the Maloofs & the city comfortable.

Not to mention that in Hansen's presentation (from a source on SI, i can't find the article) that because of where things are in Sacramento, its another year before they can even build, Hansen has applied for the permits to build in November, upon the approval of the purchase by the league.

Seattle's ready now, the time is now for the NBA to make the call on Seattle, Hansen might be in for the long haul, but is the market if they get spurned again?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 am
  • Don't care how it happens, just want it to happen, and soon :?
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 am
  • Yeah, I also tend to believe that Sacramento would be the city discussed for expansion. I do not believe, however, that they would be promised or granted expansion. Perhaps there would be some sort of conditional guarantee, as in "you get a shovel in the ground on an arena and come to us with a solidified ownership group and a big ol' check and sure, we'll expand for you guys." Nothing more. Seattle is done, they have a completed arena deal with vetted, detailed financials, they have a stable ownership group that hasn't seen several shakeups during this saga, and as Throwdown said, we are simply much farther along, the land is purchased (not in Sacramento), lawsuits being handled, etc. etc.

Suggesting expansion to Sacramento keeps the pressure on that group and that city to come to the NBA with a legitimate, vetted, binding offer. Now, I will say, I don't think Sacramento would receive expansion in the end. There is far too much wrong with their arena plan (whose corrections would have to come out of the investment group's coffers based on the financial state of that city) and they still clearly have a long ways to go with that ownership group working out who is a part of it, what's their stake, what's their role, etc., as indicated by them not being ready to submit a binding or even a written offer to anyone. There's a lot that can go wrong on Sac's side, as their whole plan is held together by old chewing gum and good intentions. I think if/when the Kings leave Sacramento, the pressure won't be nearly as great moving from the impending move of an existing team to trying to woo the NBA for an expansion, and once details start actually getting hashed out, Sacramento will potentially find the huge public to private transfer of wealth is a bit overzealous and the investment group will realize that the giant over-payment from the city is what made investing in Sacramento so heavily viable. If the Sac group isn't willing to match Hansen here, I also would not expect them to be willing to fork over an expansion fee which would likely be around the same, if not more. I might be wrong, I hope so for Sacramento's sake, but that's just my prediction.

And wow the Maloofs really took the wind out of Sacramento's sails, didn't they? Sacramento was hanging on dearly to the Maloofs not being willing to deal with them at all and using that as an excuse for A) not being prepared (perhaps still valid, but also a result of lack of preparation) and B) why they were running an endaround the current ownership group and going straight to the NBA to discuss their group purchasing the Kings. Well, now the Maloofs have come out and said "Talk to us. Let's make a deal. Let's put pen to paper and get a matching deal in the books so that if the Seattle bid is rejected by the NBA, we can sell to you. We are willing to work with you." And what happens? Sacramento apparently scoffs at the idea. Odd how whenever they are asked to put their money where their mouth is they tend to shut up and/or disappear? They have been given an opportunity to show that they are serious to the BoG and have an actual PSA (albeit a backup) heading into this week and they said "nah, we'll take our chances." No money is going into this on the Sac side. I don't think current owners will look kindly on a city openly rejecting the opportunity to work with an existing ownership group for a team that they would like to purchase, especially when publicly invited to do so.

If you intend to match and need to get a PSA completed with the Maloofs if Seattle is rejected anyways, why not do that right now and strengthen your case greatly? Because, first of all, you have no intention of matching (which is game over) and secondly, you have no desire to get any skin in a game you think you're going to lose.

It's not over, but I feel good. The Sacramento group + KJ are taking a bit of a beating right now for all the reasons I have been laying out for a while now. Never putting a penny down, avoiding easy opportunities to do so to demonstrate commitment, greatly exaggerating their arena plan's viability and time-frame, and sidestepping any direct question with a good ol' "playing to win."
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:28 am
  • So I have a basketball question for Sonics fans that i'm curious about, rather then a politics question. Assuming you get to start next season either way, would you rather inherit the Kings roster, or get an expansion team and start with a brand new roster?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:So I have a basketball question for Sonics fans that i'm curious about, rather then a politics question. Assuming you get to start next season either way, would you rather inherit the Kings roster, or get an expansion team and start with a brand new roster?

Is there really any difference between the two?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information