Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Mon May 13, 2013 10:18 am
  • Pstark3 wrote:“But our goal here is to keep all of our teams where they are,” Stern said, “but recognizing that that hasn’t been a goal that we have successfully achieved in the past.”

Stern is a damn wonderful human being

FIFY
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 am
  • Man......lots of articles and narrative being thrown out there making the Seattle group to look like the bully in this whole situation.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Man......lots of articles and narrative being thrown out there making the Seattle group to look like the bully in this whole situation.

Meh. We know first hand the true matter of business. I could care less of what anybody thinks of us at this point.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 am
    Last edited by TheRealDTM on Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 am
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Image

Like I have always said in my eys this man is and always will be a sonic!
    :thirishdrinkers:
    RealDeal
    NET Rookie

Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am
  • Just because I hate it when I come back here and find nothing new to read...

There's still no reason for the NBA to delay expansion to Seattle

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/13/4 ... avid-stern
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Just because I hate it when I come back here and find nothing new to read...

There's still no reason for the NBA to delay expansion to Seattle

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/13/4 ... avid-stern

I think it's a little too late for that.. Hansen's made it clear he wants the Kings
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:Image

Now saved in my pic folder .... will get plenty of use.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am
  • The NBA conference call is over, they have nothing for the public at this time, no recommendations were made.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 11:54 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:The NBA conference call is over, they have nothing for the public at this time, no recommendations were made.

I don't like hearing that.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon May 13, 2013 11:55 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:The NBA conference call is over, they have nothing for the public at this time, no recommendations were made.

I wouldn't read into it. Lot of work to do...
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 11:56 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:The NBA conference call is over, they have nothing for the public at this time, no recommendations were made.

Would you have rather heard that they recommended that Sac isn't sold to Hansen?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Would you have rather heard that they recommended that Sac isn't sold to Hansen?

Exactly, what I read about this conference call was that it was just to recap what's happened since the recommendation. There wasn't supposed to be another vote. Hansen and Sac both get to talk to the BOG before the vote on Wednesday
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Yes.
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Image

When is this pic from? It looks recent considering he is in Memphis in the pic.

This shit makes me sad, seriously. To think I grew up with 80's and 90's Sonics and to see this guy playing in a city 150 miles away from where I am now. My son asks me if Seattle ever had a team and it makes me bitter we don't have one of the best teams in the NBA like we should, had they stayed. I hope we get our team back, I hope Durant comes back when his OKC contract runs out, I have faith it will happen.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:

Yes.

Somebody give this ...person... a temporary vacation.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon May 13, 2013 12:34 pm
  • JOz56 wrote:I wonder what changed between then and now.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?xid=si_nba

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

What changed is that Sacramento suddenly spread their legs and started offering up public revenue streams to cover the majority of the arena. IMO, this has never been about "saving Sacramento" - that's just PR to cover up Stern's main goal: protecting the League's ability to have cities pay for their arenas/infrastructure, while leaving the Owners free to share in all the operating revenues from the teams. (When Sacramento was unwilling to pay for an arena, then Seattle was an attractive option, as soon as Sacramento started piecing together an offer, the Seattle immediately went back to being more useful as a threat/leverage)

Easy way to look at it is like this: Hansen's proposal borrows from the City to build the arena (and Hansen is ultimately responsible for overruns and is on the hook for paying it all back) Sacramento's proposal limited what their Owners pay up front and then the City gives them $$$ to cover everything else (and when there are overruns or revenues fall short, the NBA doesn't give a damn, they just tell Sacto to keep forking over the $$$ to cover it)

The way the NBA's revenue sharing is set up, teams have to cover their operating expenses before paying into the pot that the rest of the Owners share. This is what doomed the Sonics to begin with in Key Arena. Making the bond payments to the City took a big chunk out of the bottom line and made the team less valuable to the other owners than it looked on paper.

This is why modern Pro-Sports economics seem so counter-intuitive: From the NBA's perspective, it's more profitable to have a struggling team playing in a building where someone else is paying the majority of operating costs than to have a successful team that pays it's own way.

Hansen's proposal is great for the fans & city of Seattle. He's confident he'll make his money back over the long-term with it. And it does help the NBA by raising overall franchise values. However, when individual Owners look at it, they're going to see 2 main drawbacks:
    1. It sets a bad precedent for how much of their own money they'll be expected to chip in for future arena improvements/construction
    2. It weakens their leverage to extract public $$$ from their own markets in the future. (because Seattle's removed as a relocation threat, and because Sacramento opened wide with public funds but couldn't guaranteed keeping the team)

That's why Hansen has had to raise his offer to such astronomical proportions and make guarantees about the revenue sharing to make the other Owners think twice. Given the choice between a loan or a gift, the Owners are always going to choose the gift.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Mon May 13, 2013 12:58 pm
  • vedthree wrote:
    JOz56 wrote:I wonder what changed between then and now.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?xid=si_nba

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

What changed is that Sacramento suddenly spread their legs and started offering up public revenue streams to cover the majority of the arena. IMO, this has never been about "saving Sacramento" - that's just PR to cover up Stern's main goal: protecting the League's ability to have cities pay for their arenas/infrastructure, while leaving the Owners free to share in all the operating revenues from the teams. (When Sacramento was unwilling to pay for an arena, then Seattle was an attractive option, as soon as Sacramento started piecing together an offer, the Seattle immediately went back to being more useful as a threat/leverage)

Easy way to look at it is like this: Hansen's proposal borrows from the City to build the arena (and Hansen is ultimately responsible for overruns and is on the hook for paying it all back) Sacramento's proposal limited what their Owners pay up front and then the City gives them $$$ to cover everything else (and when there are overruns or revenues fall short, the NBA doesn't give a damn, they just tell Sacto to keep forking over the $$$ to cover it)

The way the NBA's revenue sharing is set up, teams have to cover their operating expenses before paying into the pot that the rest of the Owners share. This is what doomed the Sonics to begin with in Key Arena. Making the bond payments to the City took a big chunk out of the bottom line and made the team less valuable to the other owners than it looked on paper.

This is why modern Pro-Sports economics seem so counter-intuitive: From the NBA's perspective, it's more profitable to have a struggling team playing in a building where someone else is paying the majority of operating costs than to have a successful team that pays it's own way.

Hansen's proposal is great for the fans & city of Seattle. He's confident he'll make his money back over the long-term with it. And it does help the NBA by raising overall franchise values. However, when individual Owners look at it, they're going to see 2 main drawbacks:
    1. It sets a bad precedent for how much of their own money they'll be expected to chip in for future arena improvements/construction
    2. It weakens their leverage to extract public $$$ from their own markets in the future. (because Seattle's removed as a relocation threat, and because Sacramento opened wide with public funds but couldn't guaranteed keeping the team)

That's why Hansen has had to raise his offer to such astronomical proportions and make guarantees about the revenue sharing to make the other Owners think twice. Given the choice between a loan or a gift, the Owners are always going to choose the gift.

Great summary, man. The way you broke it down, it makes a lot of sense why Stern is pushing so hard for Sac.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 1:22 pm
  • How has no one brought up Clay Bennett receiving money for Sonics Merchandising? That obviously gives him a Sacramento bias, he shouldn't even have a vote, much less be the chairman.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 pm
  • This isn't good for us:

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 51s
    Minor note: An NBA spokesperson says there is NO committee meeting or conference call scheduled for tomorrow. #NBAKings
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Your so cute when you get worried
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm
  • TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:How has no one brought up Clay Bennett receiving money for Sonics Merchandising? That obviously gives him a Sacramento bias, he shouldn't even have a vote, much less be the chairman.

Clay Bennett doesn't get the money directly. The money goes to the NBA and the owners split the revenue. So yeah, he's getting money. But no different than the money he gets from merch from any other team.

Clay is most definitely biased, however. He owes David Stern everything for how Stern helped him get his franchise. So him being the head of the relocation committee might as well be considered David Stern's surrogate.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:This isn't good for us:

Minor note: An NBA spokesperson says there is NO committee meeting or conference call scheduled for tomorrow. #NBAKings

I thought it was the 15th..?
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Not necessarily bad, either
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:00 pm
  • Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 6m
    NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

Not quite sure if this is news or if he's just stating that no new recommendation was made.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:01 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 6m
    NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

Not quite sure if this is news or if he's just stating that no new recommendation was made.

Sounds to me like they met today and agreed that this wasnt enough to change their decision. Which honestly I dont think anything ever will
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:02 pm

AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
  • Blitzer,

Stay away from all things electronic for the next 48 hours
    Shaz
    NET Starter

Mon May 13, 2013 2:10 pm
  • Nobody should be shocked here. This is what happened today. The Clay Bennett led relocation committee got on the phone and confirmed with each other that they aren't changing their decision.

Clay Bennett runs this thing. David Stern tells Clay Bennett what to do. David Stern isn't backing down. This was expected.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 pm
  • The official meetings aren't until Wednesday, no reason for them to have meetings every day about it up until then.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:12 pm
  • I'm so worn out from this and tired of it being dragged on....
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:13 pm
  • ...that's what she said...
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm
  • F.U. Clay Bennett
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm
  • Windhorst made a typo. Relocation vote is still this week...

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 4m
    Sorry, typo in last tweet. I forgot we were already in next week. NBA owners expected to vote on Kings relocation THIS week, Wednesday.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm
  • This tells me he didn't really hear anything except that the recommendation didn't change... which isn't a huge deal. If the recommendation changes, they might have to wait another week and maybe they don't want to do that.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Read an article that stated that Hansen/Balmer dealing with Maloofs without his input has Stern bothered. KJ has included Stern in every move Sacramento has made.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:47 pm
  • Chris Daniels was just on with Softy. Said that Hansen and co. and Sac group will both give one last presentation to the BOG on Wednesday before the relocation vote.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:49 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:This tells me he didn't really hear anything except that the recommendation didn't change... which isn't a huge deal. If the recommendation changes, they might have to wait another week and maybe they don't want to do that.

According to Chris Daniels the recommendation didn't change because there was never going to be a vote. This meeting was just to get the committee up to speed on the recent bid change by Hansen. Nothing more.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:This tells me he didn't really hear anything except that the recommendation didn't change... which isn't a huge deal. If the recommendation changes, they might have to wait another week and maybe they don't want to do that.

According to Chris Daniels the recommendation didn't change because there was never going to be a vote. This meeting was just to get the committee up to speed on the recent bid change by Hansen. Nothing more.

Exactly. Easy to say "they didn't change their mind on relocation" when that wasn't the discussion. Just as accurate (and equally pointless) to say, "they didn't change their mind about peeing on an electric fence being bad for your health".
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 3:43 pm
  • Nothing that happens this week is going to sway my opinion - good or bad. I'm pretty sure it will be one of the following: the NBA will delay the BoG vote, or the full BoG will vote "No" on the relocation. (and the media will go nuts about it, another round of sky-is-falling, etc)

But nothing matters until the full BoG votes on the sale. They'll try and put it off as long as possible, and in the meantime make hollow threats to H/B/N about keeping them in Sacto - but they're just screaming because Seattle has them by the balls. The only out the NBA has is if H/B/N voluntarily withdraws their purchase offer, and that obviously ain't happening without an expansion team to buy him off. This week is just the NBA getting in it's last round of pointless chest-pounding.

1. If the Sale's approved, the Kings' are immediately on the way here. None of the prior relocation votes matter, because Sacramento then longer has an arena plan (it was contingent on their owner group putting in $250M
    2. If the Sale's rejected, then the real fireworks begin - because that's when both the Maloofs' & H/B/N can file their Anti-Trust cases. And then the true genius of the back-up offer comes into play. Maloofs still own them and are now flush with cash to operate a lame-duck franchise for 1-2 seasons, and Sacto's arena deal still evaporates. Then H/B/N just sit back and let the Maloofs do the dirtywork of Bennetting the team out of Sacto next season. (not to mention Hansen has ROFR as minority owner if the NBA is stupid enough to try and keep the local ownership group in play)

That's the Ace H/B/N slammed on the table - "Swallow your medicine, take a PR hit you can quickly recover from and give us the Kings now ... or sit through 1-2 years of Sacto getting the same scorched-earth treatment Seattle got while it also hits your bottom line in revenue sharing & TV negotiations - your choice."
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm
  • Love what you're selling vedthree. I'm just wondering why we haven't heard more legal experts making the statement that H/B/N have more firm legal footing. Most of the reports that I see (from neutral parties) claim that he "might" have "some" grounds for a case but that chances are not good for success.

Hans has been quick to reassure us that legally, H/B/N are more than solid but this doesn't explain why we're not hearing similar things from other sources.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:11 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Love what you're selling vedthree. I'm just wondering why we haven't heard more legal experts making the statement that H/B/N have more firm legal footing. Most of the reports that I see (from neutral parties) claim that he "might" have "some" grounds for a case but that chances are not good for success.

Hans has been quick to reassure us that legally, H/B/N are more than solid but this doesn't explain why we're not hearing similar things from other sources.

David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:15 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.

Some guy wrote something citing an anonymous source stating that one group has grounds for legal action against another.

Now that DOES sound legit.
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 13, 2013 4:15 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:
    E.C. Laloosh wrote:Love what you're selling vedthree. I'm just wondering why we haven't heard more legal experts making the statement that H/B/N have more firm legal footing. Most of the reports that I see (from neutral parties) claim that he "might" have "some" grounds for a case but that chances are not good for success.

David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.

Have a link?
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.

Some guy wrote something citing an anonymous source stating that one group has grounds for legal action against another.

Some guy? :34853_doh:
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.

SacHawk, please... just... don't. :poundhead:
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm
  • Found it...

A memo I have obtained details a potential framework for legal action, citing the Sherman Act's prohibition against group boycotts. In this instance, the (unauthored) memo argues, the league would be vulnerable to a lawsuit by the Hansen group based on the Haywood case won by Spencer Haywood against the league in 1971. That case allowed Haywood to sign a contract to play in the NBA despite not having graduated from college, the existing rule at the time for eligibility. Haywood successfully argued that financial hardship necessitated him coming into the league immediately.
    The memo's author argues that Hansen could successfully sue the NBA because if owners vote to reject the sale of the team to him, they would be engaging in a similar group boycott that the Supreme Court ruled was illegal in the Haywood case.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/d ... index.html
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:

SacHawk, please... just... don't. :poundhead:

What? :grin:
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information