EPL 2012-2013

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 pm
  • TwilightError wrote:This just might be Fergies final year? 20 championships and all.. And the can always keep going for another decade..

I dont see it this year, although it makes the most sense for them as Mourinho will be available and is keen to return to England.

Their squad needs some overhauling. Not sure Fergie will give it up in the shape its in.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am
  • God damn it, Arsenal matches have to come with a health warning cause one of these days the Gunners are gonna give their fans a heart attack.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 pm
  • Found a fun little GIF from the Arsenal-QPR match yesterday:

My guess is that he's trying to relieve the stress the Gunners are causing him(and the fans, though I know I'm not doing stuff like that to relax).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 9:26 am
  • Damn it United.

It's between Spurs and Arsenal for the 4th place now, you'd have to believe.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 12:33 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:Damn it United.

And with Spurs and Arsenal's combined luck, it'll be Arsenal who get it.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 4:16 pm
  • Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

Can Fellaini please keep his MF'ing elbows down please?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:Damn it United.

And with Spurs and Arsenal's combined luck, it'll be Arsenal who get it.

I'm certainly not over confident but I would say that in terms of luck, both teams are getting their fair share of late. I've been at Spurs last 2 games and spurs have managed to come out of those with 6 points, something that looked highly unlikely at half time of either.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

its a meryseyside Derby. never pretty. so frenetic and disjointed. Sturridge has to score on his chance i think.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

its a meryseyside Derby. never pretty. so frenetic and disjointed. Sturridge has to score on his chance i think.

How has Sturridge been for you guys?

And Coutinho?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

Quite good, actually. He's scored i think 7 or 8 this year since January maybe? He puts it about well, is strong in the box and decisive in his shots. He and Suarez play well together, and he's a dream for Coutinho. I'm looking forward to next season, actually, seeing the three of them in action together on a consistent basis
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 am
  • 7 Goals in 14 appearances for LFC I believe? He's worth what we paid, but he is not a $20 million + striker. At times his partnership with Suarez looks like it could be a special one at times.

Like most strikers he shoots first and asks questions later, which at times can be frustrating but you take the good with the bad. IMHO we aren't that much worse off with him up top for the duration of the Suarez suspension.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:7 Goals in 14 appearances for LFC I believe? He's worth what we paid, but he is not a $20 million + striker. At times his partnership with Suarez looks like it could be a special one at times.

Like most strikers he shoots first and asks questions later, which at times can be frustrating but you take the good with the bad. IMHO we aren't that much worse off with him up top for the duration of the Suarez suspension.

I wasnt condemning Sturridge. Hes a very good player and will help us quite a bit in our hunt for top 4 next year. I just think he missed the only clear cut "chance" of the game. Thats the type of game it was
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:7 Goals in 14 appearances for LFC I believe? He's worth what we paid, but he is not a $20 million + striker. At times his partnership with Suarez looks like it could be a special one at times.

I wasnt condemning Sturridge. Hes a very good player and will help us quite a bit in our hunt for top 4 next year. I just think he missed the only clear cut "chance" of the game. Thats the type of game it was

As was I. For the record I am pleasantly surprised at his performances. Always have to wonder why someone sells a young talented striker.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Quite good, actually. He's scored i think 7 or 8 this year since January maybe? He puts it about well, is strong in the box and decisive in his shots. He and Suarez play well together, and he's a dream for Coutinho. I'm looking forward to next season, actually, seeing the three of them in action together on a consistent basis

Coutinho is the real difference maker on this team next year... and perhaps the emergence of Henderson. But with the power and creativity of Suarez and Sturridge in moving into space theyve really just needed someone to provide the ball. coutinho has proved very adept at seeing space that other players havent, as seen in the ball he gave Sturridge yesterday that put him in against Howard.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 am
  • Yeah, I expect big things from Coutinho next season, and Hendo. Joe Allen can probably go, or ride the bench behind Lucas. Gerrard will have to step back, too. We NEED at least one if not two big CBs and probably a LB. Some midfield pieces and maybe another developmental winger/striker in the Assaidi mold.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 10:56 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Yeah, I expect big things from Coutinho next season, and Hendo. Joe Allen can probably go, or ride the bench behind Lucas. Gerrard will have to step back, too. We NEED at least one if not two big CBs and probably a LB. Some midfield pieces and maybe another developmental winger/striker in the Assaidi mold.

I'd like to get a new winger and cam. Either slide Coutinho out wide to play with Suarez and Sturridge or keep him at CAM and bring in another winger. figure if you get both then you have options. Joe Allen will be nice cover for Henderson. Lucas needs cover (unless the idea is to have Joe Allen and Henderdon together, with Hendo being more CDM, which i think he could do). We definately need one starting CB and one 3rd option. A left back would be nice. Why not Flanagan?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Yeah, I expect big things from Coutinho next season, and Hendo. Joe Allen can probably go, or ride the bench behind Lucas. Gerrard will have to step back, too. We NEED at least one if not two big CBs and probably a LB. Some midfield pieces and maybe another developmental winger/striker in the Assaidi mold.

I'd like to get a new winger and cam. Either slide Coutinho out wide to play with Suarez and Sturridge or keep him at CAM and bring in another winger. figure if you get both then you have options. Joe Allen will be nice cover for Henderson. Lucas needs cover (unless the idea is to have Joe Allen and Henderdon together, with Hendo being more CDM, which i think he could do). We definately need one starting CB and one 3rd option. A left back would be nice. Why not Flanagan?

I don't know what happened to Flanno and Robinson. Both looked like excellent prospects a couple of years ago. Also, kelly should be back to full strength again this season, it'll be good to have him back.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 am
  • Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.
    My next question was to ask which positions need to be addressed but you've all covered that as well.

Obviously, who we'll be able to get and, possibly, who we'll need to replace will depend a lot on these final 3 games but it seems that Spurs really need a playmaker at CM.

Modric's absent has been plain to see. A new striker would be nice too and both fullbacks could be improved upon. It'll be interesting to see whether Walker can step up after the tough experience that he's had this year. We've been without Sandro and Kaboul this year; it'll be nice to get them back.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 11:24 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.
    My next question was to ask which positions need to be addressed but you've all covered that as well.

Obviously, who we'll be able to get and, possibly, who we'll need to replace will depend a lot on these final 3 games but it seems that Spurs really need a playmaker at CM.

Modric's absent has been plain to see. A new striker would be nice too and both fullbacks could be improved upon. It'll be interesting to see whether Walker can step up after the tough experience that he's had this year. We've been without Sandro and Kaboul this year; it'll be nice to get them back.

Think Bale's as good as gone though? It'll be really tough to replace him. I think next year will be transitional for the PL. I expect United to decline a bit, Chelsea and City to beef up as usual, Liverpool to improve a lot and Spurs and Arsenal to find it tougher to operate.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 am
    Hawkspur wrote:Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.

Think Bale's as good as gone though? It'll be really tough to replace him. I think next year will be transitional for the PL. I expect United to decline a bit, Chelsea and City to beef up as usual, Liverpool to improve a lot and Spurs and Arsenal to find it tougher to operate.

I think Bale's gone, but if he goes we should get enough money to fill a few gaps. We'll need to anyway, he's earned us a lot of points this season.

I agree with you about the top 3 and also think there'll be a good scrap between those 3 teams for 4th.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm
    Hawkspur wrote:Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.

Bale is going absolutely nowhere, quote on me that, he'll still be a Spurs player next season
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm
  • Storts wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

I heard he's signed a new contract today. Any truth to this?

Bale is going absolutely nowhere, quote on me that, he'll still be a Spurs player next season
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:I'm certainly not over confident but I would say that in terms of luck, both teams are getting their fair share of late. I've been at Spurs last 2 games and spurs have managed to come out of those with 6 points, something that looked highly unlikely at half time of either.

I saw some of the Spurs-Southampton match, and they looked exhausted to me and they were lucky to get that Bale goal, I didn't really think the Saints deserved to lose that game with how they defended, same probably could be said about QPR with their attacks but Arsenal's defense has been out of character lately(not conceding many goals, especially shit goals).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm
  • So who do y'all want for your clubs in the transfer window?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:So who do y'all want for your clubs in the transfer window?

Well looking at recent rumors, Arsenal apparently has agreed to sign Jovetic and are looking at Loic Remy. Both would help Arsenal's depth at the striker position which kinda came under fire the last few weeks after Giroud's unfair suspension.

After that, I'd probably say we'd have to find viable back ups in the central defense(and not sell Koscielny), and probably a new right back in case Sagna does leave. A back up keeper to give some real competition for Szczesny, Valdes, Reina and Casillas have been linked and Valdes would probably be the only one that Arsenal could realistically get, though I have also heard rumors involving Rene Adler being on Arsenal's radar. Midfield probably see if Barca would sell Fabregas back to Arsenal(maybe even Song) other than that I think we're set there.

I do also think there are a few players in the Arsenal reserves that are deserving of a call up to the first team. The players I'd like to see get more first team action would be Thomas Eisfeld, Serge Gnabry and Chuba Akpom. All three have impressed this year with the reserves, Gnabry and Eisfeld did get some 1st team action earlier this year(notably in that amazing 7-5 match against Reading).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:So who do y'all want for your clubs in the transfer window?

I'd quite like modric back. Or someone similar.

I'm a bit out of the loop with regards to players not at Spurs so CM, LW, ST, LB, RB please, some for depth, some to start.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 2:24 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:So who do y'all want for your clubs in the transfer window?

I'd quite like modric back. Or someone similar.

I'm a bit out of the loop with regards to players not at Spurs so CM, LW, ST, LB, RB please, some for depth, some to start.

I think Spurs main priority is to keep Bale. After that, who knows.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 pm
  • Not really important news but apparently Arsenal have a new kit deal. Couple news outlets are saying Arsenal and Puma have agreed to a £170m, 5 year deal.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 am
  • Fergie is retiring at the end of the season. Its official.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 am
  • Bye-bye, Bacon face.

Moyes to replace him. Not a great hire, in my opinion.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Bye-bye, Bacon face.

Moyes to replace him. Not a great hire, in my opinion.

yup... no tears here
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 10:02 am
  • Found this on Facebook:

Maggie Thatcher Dying, Alex Ferguson Retiring.

Somewhere there is a Scouser with a Genie lamp and 1 wish left.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    TwilightError wrote:This just might be Fergies final year? 20 championships and all.. And the can always keep going for another decade..

I dont see it this year, although it makes the most sense for them as Mourinho will be available and is keen to return to England.

Their squad needs some overhauling. Not sure Fergie will give it up in the shape its in.

What was that ;)

Edit:

As for Arsenal their "ten years and you've won f*ck all" have mostly been because they pay away the new stadium, hence it is a high priority to get the lucrative CL spot. I dont see them giving away any points anymore this season.

For Chelsea the retirement of Sir Red nose is not all good. Might mean more competition for Mourinho, who has hinted on going to ManU already..

Edit 2:

After hearing of the announcement that Sir Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season, Manchester United players have paid their respects to their manager.

"It has been an honour to play for Sir Alex. I couldn't have asked for a better manager" said Howard Webb.

-

In Honour of Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement all Premiership matches will play an extra 2 minutes injury time the next time they play.
    Last edited by TwilightError on Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 am
  • TwilightError wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    TwilightError wrote:This just might be Fergies final year? 20 championships and all.. And the can always keep going for another decade..

What was that ;)

yeah a bit sudden....

not sure about Moyes either. I didnt realize he and Moyes were such good friends
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 am
  • Chelsea got it done, or actually the clubs best ever goalscorer (203!) Frank Lampard did it. Champions league is a certainty, now lets see if we can lure back Mourinho...
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 am
  • Wee Wigan. Brilliant.

Mancini is surely out now. Who'll replace him?
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 am
  • Congrats to Wigan. Shame they will be relegated.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat May 11, 2013 11:20 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Wee Wigan. Brilliant.

The rumours here are that an agreement was reached earlier in the week with Malaga's mabager Pellegrini.

It'll be interesting now to see if Wigan can stay up. Playing in Europe and the championship would be even tougher than Europe and the Premier League, I think, seeing as they already play twice a week in the Championship.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 11:33 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Wee Wigan. Brilliant.

The rumours here are that an agreement was reached earlier in the week with Malaga's mabager Pellegrini.

It'll be interesting now to see if Wigan can stay up. Playing in Europe and the championship would be even tougher than Europe and the Premier League, I think, seeing as they already play twice a week in the Championship.

Does the FA cup winner get a Europa league place? I thought it was only the league cup winner. Even still, don't they have to get past the pre-qualifiers? Doubt they would, but you never know.

Still, always good to see an underdog win a cup. Like when Birmingham beat Arsenal in the league cup final a few years ago.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat May 11, 2013 11:36 am
  • I think you might be right. I haven't seen any mention of Wigan attaining a European place in any of the write ups.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 5:56 pm
  • Nothing but pride points on the line for Liverpool tomorrow. Would like to see our little unbeaten streak continue into next campaign.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sat May 11, 2013 10:06 pm
  • Seeing as people were in the dark about this, I looked it up. The winners of the FA Cup, in this case Wigan, are guaranteed a place in the Europa League Group Stage.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Boss level performance from Sturridge today. 7 game unbeaten streak.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon May 13, 2013 7:35 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Boss level performance from Sturridge today. 7 game unbeaten streak.

even better today. All three goals a lovely bit of skill....

We need to discuss Coutinho. the kid is absolutely ridiculous in finding that penetrating pass. Wasnt perfect yesterday, but even on days when he's not controlling play, tucked underneath Sturridge, Suarez and (insert player here: Downing, Assaidi, Sterling, Borini, new guy) his ability to spot a through ball is fantastic
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:43 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Boss level performance from Sturridge today. 7 game unbeaten streak.

even better today. All three goals a lovely bit of skill....

We need to discuss Coutinho. the kid is absolutely ridiculous in finding that penetrating pass. Wasnt perfect yesterday, but even on days when he's not controlling play, tucked underneath Sturridge, Suarez and (insert player here: Downing, Assaidi, Sterling, Borini, new guy) his ability to spot a through ball is fantastic

I've been saying it since we got him. He's going to be a megastar. He's the kind of guy that just makes things happen, and he's only going to get better. We got him for a steal at I think 8mil. If Hendo keeps improving, he'll take over from Stevie. Hopefully Sterling can find his form agian next season and take his spot back with the front three. Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling up front, Hendo, Coutinho and Downing/Assaidi/new guy as the central 3, and hopefully a bolstered defnese, and that's a frist XI any team would be proud of. Sturridge has been another great buy. I'm VERY pleased with Rodgers so far, and things should only improve next year.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 am
  • Love to see you coming around to Henderson peaches. Hes made another brilliant ball from the deep position yesterday to spring Sturridge. Flew three against Everton to gash them, handful more in the past few weeks. Hes defending well (not quite Lucas) but his passing out of the deep areas sets him apart. I think your central three is Coutinho with Gerrard and Henderson behind. Sterling and Suso (and Allen and Shelvey) will be mainstays on the team next season, but we will need another wide player of talent to challenge top 4. Borini maybe, but i'd like to see some pace and trickery. Would love Julian Draxlar. but there are a handful of wide talents in the Bundesliga.

Wisdom looked a revelation yesterday as a CB in a flat 3 system. Could be ready to replace Carragher
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 pm
  • It's all change in Manchester. In the week's least surprising news, Mankini has been sacked by City (accoring to SSN)
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:13 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:It's all change in Manchester. In the week's least surprising news, Mankini has been sacked by City (accoring to SSN)

Yep completely unsurprised. Anyone think if Arsenal lose to Wigan tomorrow night that Wenger might get the axe? I hope not, but it seems like 8 seasons without trophies might be a bit too much for the board to take at this point, and with no CL football to attract good players, Arsenal might find it tough for a while. They might think fresh blood and a new attitude could turn things around.

I gotta say though, AVB has impressed me this season. Granted, he's had Bale on blistering form for most of the season, but still, a big turnaround from his days at Chelsea.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Wigan have joined QPR and Reading as the 3 relegation doomed clubs as Arsenal exploded in the second half, scoring 3 goals in 8 minutes en route to a 4-1 win that brings Arsenal back up to 4th and leads to an intriguing final day in which Arsenal can finish 3rd 4th or 5th depending on the results of theirs and Chelsea and Spurs matches. As for the other 2 clubs, Chelsea must win to guarantee 3rd place for them and Spurs need to win and Arsenal to lose to finish 4th as a Spurs draw vs Sunderland would do them nothing.

As for Wigan, I do feel hard done that we had to be the ones to end Wigan's EPL run, but it had to be done in order for Arsenal to maintain control of their European fate. I do hope Wigan do return to the EPL in 2014-15 season as they are a good club and among the English clubs I don't hate, nor would have a reason to.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 7:07 pm
  • Go Gunners... That is all.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information