EPL 2012-2013

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:05 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Liverpool can put the fire to Everton's feet for Europa league with 3 points tomorrow. Easier said than done of course.

I kinda hope Liverpool wins, or at least draws, as that'll keep Arsenal in 3rd.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 am
  • Well now that's convinient, Giroud's red card is upheld by the FA despite the fact that you can see he slipped.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 pm
  • You're surprised that the FA doesn't act rationally or use critical thinking? Come on.....

Which is the exact reason the FA is going to try and give Suarez a 15 game suspension tomorrow. Ridiculous.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:You're surprised that the FA doesn't act rationally or use critical thinking? Come on.....

Which is the exact reason the FA is going to try and give Suarez a 15 game suspension tomorrow. Ridiculous.

I'm not surprised, hell look at who Arsenal plays next and you'll see a strange coincidence.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:56 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:You're surprised that the FA doesn't act rationally or use critical thinking? Come on.....

I'm not surprised, hell look at who Arsenal plays next and you'll see a strange coincidence.

no strange coincidence in Walcott being offside but getting the goal nonetheless
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:no strange coincidence in Walcott being offside but getting the goal nonetheless

I was actually surprised they didn't call him for that. He was a step off and it cost Man U their chance at the points record.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:49 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:no strange coincidence in Walcott being offside but getting the goal nonetheless

I was actually surprised they didn't call him for that. He was a step off and it cost Man U their chance at the points record.

they had plenty of other chances to win that game. one of those strange games where on team controls play while the other creates the better chances
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:no strange coincidence in Walcott being offside but getting the goal nonetheless

they had plenty of other chances to win that game. one of those strange games where on team controls play while the other creates the better chances

And gets denied by a face.

Also not sure who saw this in the pregame stuff, but seems like someone wasn't impressed or at least was among the group that didn't want to do the guard of honor:
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm
  • The fight for the last champions leage spots is furious. As a Chelsea supporter, I'm a bit worried about having the toughest schedule ahead. Atleast we have a game in hand against Arsenal. It is vital if Chelsea wishes to land Mourinho. Although, if Alex Ferguson retires, Mou will probably go to ManU.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 2:11 pm
  • TwilightError wrote:The fight for the last champions leage spots is furious. As a Chelsea supporter, I'm a bit worried about having the toughest schedule ahead. Atleast we have a game in hand against Arsenal. It is vital if Chelsea wishes to land Mourinho. Although, if Alex Ferguson retires, Mou will probably go to ManU.

You mean the good news for Chelsea is that they have a game in hand whereas Arsenal do not, the bad news is, that game in hand is against the other club fighting for a top 4 finish. I'd prefer Chelsea and Spurs draw that match.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm
  • Liverpool faithful that frequent this thread: What do you make of Rodgers telling reporters qualification to europe through the "fair play" rule will be rejected? Does that mean if we get it the traditional 6th place way, we will accept it?

Seems like a real misstep here.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed May 01, 2013 4:43 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    TwilightError wrote:The fight for the last champions leage spots is furious. As a Chelsea supporter, I'm a bit worried about having the toughest schedule ahead. Atleast we have a game in hand against Arsenal. It is vital if Chelsea wishes to land Mourinho. Although, if Alex Ferguson retires, Mou will probably go to ManU.

You mean the good news for Chelsea is that they have a game in hand whereas Arsenal do not, the bad news is, that game in hand is against the other club fighting for a top 4 finish. I'd prefer Chelsea and Spurs draw that match.

I'd prefer the lot of you catch the clap and spend the summer scratching little bugs off your balls....

welcome to the board TwilightError
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 4:46 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Liverpool faithful that frequent this thread: What do you make of Rodgers telling reporters qualification to europe through the "fair play" rule will be rejected? Does that mean if we get it the traditional 6th place way, we will accept it?

Seems like a real misstep here.

No idea what he's on about. i figure we need Europa more than we dont. but its not massively critical. Been talking alot with people about the downfall of PL teams as compared to the other leagues and a great point was brought up... that the PL suffers in European competition because of the attention they must pay to league play and securing 4th. Struck me that perhaps watering our schedule down with crucial trips to the continent and then burn back to take on Southampton or Stoke or whomever on a Sat. afternoon isnt the best philosophy for catching 4th. Maybe Rodgers feels similarly and will reject any need to play those games if given the choice.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    TwilightError wrote:The fight for the last champions leage spots is furious. As a Chelsea supporter, I'm a bit worried about having the toughest schedule ahead. Atleast we have a game in hand against Arsenal. It is vital if Chelsea wishes to land Mourinho. Although, if Alex Ferguson retires, Mou will probably go to ManU.

I'd prefer the lot of you catch the clap and spend the summer scratching little bugs off your balls....

welcome to the board TwilightError

where the hell did that come from? I wasn't even talking about Liverpool either.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:You mean the good news for Chelsea is that they have a game in hand whereas Arsenal do not, the bad news is, that game in hand is against the other club fighting for a top 4 finish. I'd prefer Chelsea and Spurs draw that match.

The game in hand is against Spurs, which is a tough one but also there is a game against ManU.. I don't mind dropping out of the Champions League since we just won it last year but it will be harder to get the best available coach without a CL spot in hand.

Uncle Si wrote:welcome to the board TwilightError

Thanks.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 5:57 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    where the hell did that come from? I wasn't even talking about Liverpool either.

Damnit Gate, why do i need a reason to wish VDs on Arsenal and Chelsea fans. dont ruin this for me

Twilight.... Chelsea needs that CL spot more than Arsenal or Spurs. Have to figure Rafa is out and they need a strong replacement.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 am
  • TwilightError wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:You mean the good news for Chelsea is that they have a game in hand whereas Arsenal do not, the bad news is, that game in hand is against the other club fighting for a top 4 finish. I'd prefer Chelsea and Spurs draw that match.

The game in hand is against Spurs, which is a tough one but also there is a game against ManU.. I don't mind dropping out of the Champions League since we just won it last year but it will be harder to get the best available coach without a CL spot in hand.

Uncle Si wrote:welcome to the board TwilightError

Thanks.

The Spurs Chelsea game is huge. If Spurs don't win I doubt we'll make the Champions League.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Twilight.... Chelsea needs that CL spot more than Arsenal or Spurs. Have to figure Rafa is out and they need a strong replacement.

That was my point.

Hawkspur wrote:The Spurs Chelsea game is huge. If Spurs don't win I doubt we'll make the Champions League.

I agree. Its basically same for Chelsea except that a tie would be alright. A victory would make it almost certain. Loss makes it very difficult.

Btw. Its nice to see there's PL people on the board! Even though you guys support the wrong teams :)
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 am
  • TwilightError wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Twilight.... Chelsea needs that CL spot more than Arsenal or Spurs. Have to figure Rafa is out and they need a strong replacement.

That was my point.

Hawkspur wrote:The Spurs Chelsea game is huge. If Spurs don't win I doubt we'll make the Champions League.

I agree. Its basically same for Chelsea except that a tie would be alright. A victory would make it almost certain. Loss makes it very difficult.

Btw. Its nice to see there's PL people on the board! Even though you guys support the wrong teams :)

Sorry, I've been basking in winning the league for the 20th time...What were we talking about?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu May 02, 2013 10:13 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    TwilightError wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Twilight.... Chelsea needs that CL spot more than Arsenal or Spurs. Have to figure Rafa is out and they need a strong replacement.

That was my point.

Sorry, I've been basking in winning the league for the 20th time...What were we talking about?

your 1 win Sounders team
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:your 1 win Sounders team

We've only played 5 games.

We have 4 games in hand over first in the west right now, and play 3 games in 7 days. We pick up all 9 points and we are sitting on 16 points. That should move us into a playoff spot...

Also, its super early in the season. I'm not that worried about it. We'll be there when it matters most.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:your 1 win Sounders team

We have 4 games in hand over first in the west right now, and play 3 games in 7 days. We pick up all 9 points and we are sitting on 16 points. That should move us into a playoff spot...

Also, its super early in the season. I'm not that worried about it. We'll be there when it matters most.

Yep. Just like all those other seasons when the Sounders were so great in the playoffs.

Wait...
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

Yep. Just like all those other seasons when the Sounders were so great in the playoffs.

Wait...

I didn't say we were going to win....I said we would be there. I said we would make the playoffs
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 pm
  • Smurf wrote:

if you're not worried you're not paying attention
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 6:33 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:The Spurs Chelsea game is huge. If Spurs don't win I doubt we'll make the Champions League.

My thought is that whoever loses the Spurs-Chelsea match won't make the CL.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

if you're not worried you're not paying attention

I'm not THAT worried....I'm worried, and have said as much in the sounders thread, but I have faith in the boys, and in Sigi.

You guys are missing a bunch of important distinctions today.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri May 03, 2013 6:27 am
  • What "important" distinctions am I missing? you said you arent worried, that its early, you trust the team and coach. now youre saying youre not THAT worried.

Its an EPL thread but I brought the Sounders into it so here goes: They lack cohesiveness through the midfield and in the attack. they lack creativity in creating chances, and are struggling to finish the few they get. They lack tactical acumen in the back, and are naive in trying to press forward. their coach has done nothing to change this over the last 2+years. Sigi has yet to show he is capable of adjusting his system to the changes of the league or the philosophy of his opponent. He hoped Montero would bail the Sounders out at big moments, which he failed to do in the playoffs for 2 consecutive (or is it 3 now) years. Now Montero is gone and the team hasnt figured out a way to score without him. To make it worse, they now cant defend consistently for 90 minutes.

Yes, they are in trouble. Yes as a Sounders fan who is a bit more objective I see major issues.

If I missed an "important" distinction here its because you didnt offer any. I'll meet you in the Sounders thread. big game tomorrow. they need 3 points
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:What "important" distinctions am I missing? you said you arent worried, that its early, you trust the team and coach. now youre saying youre not THAT worried.

Its an EPL thread but I brought the Sounders into it so here goes: They lack cohesiveness through the midfield and in the attack. they lack creativity in creating chances, and are struggling to finish the few they get. They lack tactical acumen in the back, and are naive in trying to press forward. their coach has done nothing to change this over the last 2+years. Sigi has yet to show he is capable of adjusting his system to the changes of the league or the philosophy of his opponent. He hoped Montero would bail the Sounders out at big moments, which he failed to do in the playoffs for 2 consecutive (or is it 3 now) years. Now Montero is gone and the team hasnt figured out a way to score without him. To make it worse, they now cant defend consistently for 90 minutes.

Yes, they are in trouble. Yes as a Sounders fan who is a bit more objective I see major issues.

If I missed an "important" distinction here its because you didnt offer any. I'll meet you in the Sounders thread. big game tomorrow. they need 3 points

Read my original post again si. I have said I wasn't THAT worried since the beginning.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri May 03, 2013 11:40 am
  • screw you and your semantics Smurf, and your 20 titles.... (mic drop beatch!)

No really though, back to the thread. interesting summer coming for United. I feel like Ferguson would have preferred a deeper run in the CL to a PL title (I could be wrong, just speculation). The squad needs alot. Where do you think they make improvements?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 pm
  • This just might be Fergies final year? 20 championships and all.. And then again, he can always keep going for another decade..
    Last edited by TwilightError on Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 pm
  • TwilightError wrote:This just might be Fergies final year? 20 championships and all.. And the can always keep going for another decade..

I dont see it this year, although it makes the most sense for them as Mourinho will be available and is keen to return to England.

Their squad needs some overhauling. Not sure Fergie will give it up in the shape its in.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am
  • God damn it, Arsenal matches have to come with a health warning cause one of these days the Gunners are gonna give their fans a heart attack.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 pm
  • Found a fun little GIF from the Arsenal-QPR match yesterday:

My guess is that he's trying to relieve the stress the Gunners are causing him(and the fans, though I know I'm not doing stuff like that to relax).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 9:26 am
  • Damn it United.

It's between Spurs and Arsenal for the 4th place now, you'd have to believe.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 12:33 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:Damn it United.

And with Spurs and Arsenal's combined luck, it'll be Arsenal who get it.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 4:16 pm
  • Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

Can Fellaini please keep his MF'ing elbows down please?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:Damn it United.

And with Spurs and Arsenal's combined luck, it'll be Arsenal who get it.

I'm certainly not over confident but I would say that in terms of luck, both teams are getting their fair share of late. I've been at Spurs last 2 games and spurs have managed to come out of those with 6 points, something that looked highly unlikely at half time of either.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

its a meryseyside Derby. never pretty. so frenetic and disjointed. Sturridge has to score on his chance i think.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

its a meryseyside Derby. never pretty. so frenetic and disjointed. Sturridge has to score on his chance i think.

How has Sturridge been for you guys?

And Coutinho?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Well, one of probably the most boring Liverpool matches ive watched in quite a while. Seemed to be a battle of who could string together 4 passes in a row.

Quite good, actually. He's scored i think 7 or 8 this year since January maybe? He puts it about well, is strong in the box and decisive in his shots. He and Suarez play well together, and he's a dream for Coutinho. I'm looking forward to next season, actually, seeing the three of them in action together on a consistent basis
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 am
  • 7 Goals in 14 appearances for LFC I believe? He's worth what we paid, but he is not a $20 million + striker. At times his partnership with Suarez looks like it could be a special one at times.

Like most strikers he shoots first and asks questions later, which at times can be frustrating but you take the good with the bad. IMHO we aren't that much worse off with him up top for the duration of the Suarez suspension.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:7 Goals in 14 appearances for LFC I believe? He's worth what we paid, but he is not a $20 million + striker. At times his partnership with Suarez looks like it could be a special one at times.

Like most strikers he shoots first and asks questions later, which at times can be frustrating but you take the good with the bad. IMHO we aren't that much worse off with him up top for the duration of the Suarez suspension.

I wasnt condemning Sturridge. Hes a very good player and will help us quite a bit in our hunt for top 4 next year. I just think he missed the only clear cut "chance" of the game. Thats the type of game it was
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:7 Goals in 14 appearances for LFC I believe? He's worth what we paid, but he is not a $20 million + striker. At times his partnership with Suarez looks like it could be a special one at times.

I wasnt condemning Sturridge. Hes a very good player and will help us quite a bit in our hunt for top 4 next year. I just think he missed the only clear cut "chance" of the game. Thats the type of game it was

As was I. For the record I am pleasantly surprised at his performances. Always have to wonder why someone sells a young talented striker.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 am
    Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Quite good, actually. He's scored i think 7 or 8 this year since January maybe? He puts it about well, is strong in the box and decisive in his shots. He and Suarez play well together, and he's a dream for Coutinho. I'm looking forward to next season, actually, seeing the three of them in action together on a consistent basis

Coutinho is the real difference maker on this team next year... and perhaps the emergence of Henderson. But with the power and creativity of Suarez and Sturridge in moving into space theyve really just needed someone to provide the ball. coutinho has proved very adept at seeing space that other players havent, as seen in the ball he gave Sturridge yesterday that put him in against Howard.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 am
  • Yeah, I expect big things from Coutinho next season, and Hendo. Joe Allen can probably go, or ride the bench behind Lucas. Gerrard will have to step back, too. We NEED at least one if not two big CBs and probably a LB. Some midfield pieces and maybe another developmental winger/striker in the Assaidi mold.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 10:56 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Yeah, I expect big things from Coutinho next season, and Hendo. Joe Allen can probably go, or ride the bench behind Lucas. Gerrard will have to step back, too. We NEED at least one if not two big CBs and probably a LB. Some midfield pieces and maybe another developmental winger/striker in the Assaidi mold.

I'd like to get a new winger and cam. Either slide Coutinho out wide to play with Suarez and Sturridge or keep him at CAM and bring in another winger. figure if you get both then you have options. Joe Allen will be nice cover for Henderson. Lucas needs cover (unless the idea is to have Joe Allen and Henderdon together, with Hendo being more CDM, which i think he could do). We definately need one starting CB and one 3rd option. A left back would be nice. Why not Flanagan?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Yeah, I expect big things from Coutinho next season, and Hendo. Joe Allen can probably go, or ride the bench behind Lucas. Gerrard will have to step back, too. We NEED at least one if not two big CBs and probably a LB. Some midfield pieces and maybe another developmental winger/striker in the Assaidi mold.

I'd like to get a new winger and cam. Either slide Coutinho out wide to play with Suarez and Sturridge or keep him at CAM and bring in another winger. figure if you get both then you have options. Joe Allen will be nice cover for Henderson. Lucas needs cover (unless the idea is to have Joe Allen and Henderdon together, with Hendo being more CDM, which i think he could do). We definately need one starting CB and one 3rd option. A left back would be nice. Why not Flanagan?

I don't know what happened to Flanno and Robinson. Both looked like excellent prospects a couple of years ago. Also, kelly should be back to full strength again this season, it'll be good to have him back.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 am
  • Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.
    My next question was to ask which positions need to be addressed but you've all covered that as well.

Obviously, who we'll be able to get and, possibly, who we'll need to replace will depend a lot on these final 3 games but it seems that Spurs really need a playmaker at CM.

Modric's absent has been plain to see. A new striker would be nice too and both fullbacks could be improved upon. It'll be interesting to see whether Walker can step up after the tough experience that he's had this year. We've been without Sandro and Kaboul this year; it'll be nice to get them back.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 11:24 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.
    My next question was to ask which positions need to be addressed but you've all covered that as well.

Obviously, who we'll be able to get and, possibly, who we'll need to replace will depend a lot on these final 3 games but it seems that Spurs really need a playmaker at CM.

Modric's absent has been plain to see. A new striker would be nice too and both fullbacks could be improved upon. It'll be interesting to see whether Walker can step up after the tough experience that he's had this year. We've been without Sandro and Kaboul this year; it'll be nice to get them back.

Think Bale's as good as gone though? It'll be really tough to replace him. I think next year will be transitional for the PL. I expect United to decline a bit, Chelsea and City to beef up as usual, Liverpool to improve a lot and Spurs and Arsenal to find it tougher to operate.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 am
    Hawkspur wrote:Yeah, I think things are looking promising at Liverpool, from the limited amount I've seen of them.

Think Bale's as good as gone though? It'll be really tough to replace him. I think next year will be transitional for the PL. I expect United to decline a bit, Chelsea and City to beef up as usual, Liverpool to improve a lot and Spurs and Arsenal to find it tougher to operate.

I think Bale's gone, but if he goes we should get enough money to fill a few gaps. We'll need to anyway, he's earned us a lot of points this season.

I agree with you about the top 3 and also think there'll be a good scrap between those 3 teams for 4th.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information