EPL 2012-2013

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: EPL 2012-2013
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm
  • I was looking through Arsenal's roster trying to figure out who I think they should sell, and one player just feels on the fence for me, Andrei Arshavin. He does have loads of potential and he's shown it, especially 09-10 and 10-12, but the last year he's just seemed really lazy and completely uninterested in trying. I have noticed that Wenger has an unusual amount of faith in Arshavin, but it's hurt Arsenal last season(his brilliant defending on the 2nd Man U goal last January). He's one of those players where if he leaves it won't be a tragedy, but if he stays he's gotta prove himself worthy of the faith he's being given instead of just half-assing it through most of the games. That's just my opinion though.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Dembele is one of my favorite non-Liverpool players, Spur, and if Spurs really do get him that'll be a major coup. I don't think he'll fully replace Modric, and if Bale goes next year there'll be an even bigger hole to fill, but he's a real quality midfielder, is good on the ball and passes well. As for Lloris....I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree about Dembele being unlikely to fully replace Modric. The closest we could have realistically come to that was probably Moutinho, but if Spurs do manage to sign Dembele and Wilian for the same amount of money then I think the team is better off.

As for Lloris, like all Spurs transfers I never believe it 'til I see it, but I don't think it's out of the question. Lyon have accepted a bid and quotes from the player sound promising. Most bigger clubs have incumbent goalkeepers so, as I say, it's not out of the question. Friedel is 40-41 and is too slow for the type of defence Villas-Boas likes to play.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:31 am

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:18 pm
  • Stoke have offered 4mil for Charle Adam. I say take it and run, and get whatever we can for Spearing and Cole.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Stoke have offered 4mil for Charle Adam. I say take it and run, and get whatever we can for Spearing and Cole.

Adam, Palacios and Shawcross! May as well go the whole hog and sign Scholes as well. I hope we rest our star players when we go to Stoke.

I don't see anyone offering more than £4m for Adam so I'd agree with you. Get rid of his wages and get him off the squad. Daniel Levy has been waiting for someone to meet his evaluations of Bentley, dos Santos and Jenas for years now, turning down reasonable offers. As a result we've had 3 extra years of paying their wages so it's a big of a false economy to wait for the right deal. The only value they have to us now is to bulk out our squad with homegrown players.

Lucas is out again. Do Liverpool have adequate cover or will they need to bring someone in?
    Last edited by Hawkspur on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    By the way... spoke to a manager yesterday and apparently the Swansea players wanted Laudrup out almost as soon as he arrived. Didn't click at all... a few protests within the squad etc. Now have a 100% record, scored eight goals and conceded none. I'm working on their next game on Tuesday.

Do you know why they didn't like him? Was he too arrogant? Demanding? Foreign? Still better at football than the players? They certainly seem to have responded well over the past couple of months, one way or another. They certainly seem to have a more than adequate replacement for Sigurdsson in Michu.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Stoke have offered 4mil for Charle Adam. I say take it and run, and get whatever we can for Spearing and Cole.

Adam, Palacios and Shawcross! May as well go the whole hog and sign Scholes as well. I hope we rest our star players when we go to Stoke.

I don't see anyone offering more than £4m for Adam so I'd agree with you. Get rid of his wages and get him off the squad. Daniel Levy has been waiting for someone to meet his evaluations of Bentley, dos Santos and Jenas for years now, turning down reasonable offers. As a result we've had 3 extra years of paying their wages so it's a big of a false economy to wait for the right deal. The only value they have to us now is to bulk out our squad with homegrown players.

Lucas is out again. Do Liverpool have adequate cover or will they need to bring someone in?

Honestly, I don't think Lucas fits in Rodgers' system. We've no need for a holding defensive mid anymore. With Allen, Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey, et al, I think we'll be fine.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 am
  • Here's the latest Liverpool transfer rumour courtesy of the fake Yaya Toure on twitter: Liverpool's bid for Fernando Llorente has hit a snag. Athletic Bilboa insist they want £25m, whilst liverpool refuse to pay less then £35m.

Sounds more plausible than most of the other rumours on twitter.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Here's the latest Liverpool transfer rumour courtesy of the fake Yaya Toure on twitter: Liverpool's bid for Fernando Llorente has hit a snag. Athletic Bilboa insist they want £25m, whilst liverpool refuse to pay less then £35m.

Sounds more plausible than most of the other rumours on twitter.

Fake Yaya Toure can do one.

Think Spurs'll get Llorente or not?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:11 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    By the way... spoke to a manager yesterday and apparently the Swansea players wanted Laudrup out almost as soon as he arrived. Didn't click at all... a few protests within the squad etc. Now have a 100% record, scored eight goals and conceded none. I'm working on their next game on Tuesday.

Do you know why they didn't like him? Was he too arrogant? Demanding? Foreign? Still better at football than the players? They certainly seem to have responded well over the past couple of months, one way or another. They certainly seem to have a more than adequate replacement for Sigurdsson in Michu.

I got a feeling that their opinion of him is changing.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

I got a feeling that their opinion of him is changing.

Well, if they still want him sacked they're going about it the wrong way.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:17 pm
  • Carroll off to West Ham on season-long loan with a view to a permanent move at the end of the season. Spearing off to Bolton on loan. That'll probably become permanent also. Adam looks like he'll be off to Stoke, which means we can expect at least one more player brought in by Rodgers tomorrow. We're being linked with Sturridge, and Rodgers is a big admirer of Walcott. I still reckon they'll go after Gaston Ramirez. We shall see.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Think Spurs'll get Llorente or not?

Lloris perhaps. I think if we spend over £20m on anyone it'll be Moutinho. But as we've never spent over £20m on anyone before I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:58 pm
  • I don't know where this came from but people on twitter are saying Arsenal have submitted a Loan bid for Michael Essien.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:I don't know where this came from but people on twitter are saying Arsenal have submitted a Loan bid for Michael Essien.

Bearing in mind that about 90% of football rumours on Twitter are posted my people on the wind up, he can't even beat Mikel into the team at the moment. A change of scene might do him good.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:25 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:I don't know where this came from but people on twitter are saying Arsenal have submitted a Loan bid for Michael Essien.

Bearing in mind that about 90% of football rumours on Twitter are posted my people on the wind up, he can't even beat Mikel into the team at the moment. A change of scene might do him good.

I don't really believe this rumor myself. If any Chelsea player would be on his way to Arsenal I'd prefer it to be Benayoun.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:33 am
  • Van Der Vart out of Spurs for $10 million to Hamburg.

Charlie Adam to Stoke for $4 Million.

Sinclair from swansea to Man City (fee not known, I'd guess 3-7million).

Kieran Richardson from Sunderland to Fulham

Berbatov going to either Fulham or Spurs.

Aston Villa have stepped into the Clint Dempsey situation. Choices are now Liverpool and Villa. Villa offering 7 million.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:58 am
  • Villa have ended their interest because Dempsey wants to play for Liverpool.

Moutinho to Spurs for 22 mil. That's a hell of a buy, Spur. Supposedly Maicon to City.

Also, Lloris is on his way to England, with Spurs the likely destination. Crazy.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Villa have ended their interest because Dempsey wants to play for Liverpool.

Moutinho to Spurs for 22 mil. That's a hell of a buy, Spur. Supposedly Maicon to City.

Also, Lloris is on his way to England, with Spurs the likely destination. Crazy.

If these deals all go through it's going to be epic. AVB has, by all accounts, been persistant in his insistance on acquiring Moutinho. Likewise Lloris. Both rumoured prices are phenomenal if they are true. £22m + 4 for Moutinho and £9m for Lloris. Bookies are also paying even money on us getting Llorente, although I think this is unlikely. Berbatov would be an odd return but would make a lot of sense as a stop gap. He's one hell of a footballer too. It's a shame to see Rafa gone, but I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. Dos Santos has been sold to Mallorca.

Maicon to City is a great deal for Spurs as well. Go Bale!

Come on Levy! Get'er done!
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 am
  • Looks like Gaston Ramirez could be joining Southampton after all.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 am
  • Ryan Babel to Ajax!!!!!! (just kidding... i mean he did sign for Ajax, i just dont care).

Michael Bastos with Kieran Richardson (and Berbatov) to Fulham... surely Dempsey to Liverpool now?

The Lloris thing is a mess Spur... very bad talk about Levy from the French side.

City with Maicon and Sinclair (whom I rate) and Nigel De Jong off to AC Milan.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Ryan Babel to Ajax!!!!!! (just kidding... i mean he did sign for Ajax, i just dont care).

Michael Bastos with Kieran Richardson (and Berbatov) to Fulham... surely Dempsey to Liverpool now?

The Lloris thing is a mess Spur... very bad talk about Levy from the French side.

City with Maicon and Sinclair (whom I rate) and Nigel De Jong off to AC Milan.

Just heard to Liverpool might be hijacking the move for Bastos.

Re: Lloris - I don't think Levy is someone who makes friend's making deals. However, the quotes coming out of Lyon last night were a bit weird. It sounded like Levy made a bid to get to speak with the player before making a lower bid, which would be pretty scummy. Spurs sources have refuted that this is the case though, and the deal sounds like it's for the amount initially agreed, so who knows. I'd imagine that Levy is a prick to deal with though, although he's been on the receiving end a few times too.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 am
  • Wee Dani Pacheco's gonna be leaving Liverpool. Shame.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 am
  • Sturridge and Dempsey to Liverpool? Gate, I can't help but think that if these deals go through, as well as Spurs' that you'd better pray that Wenger has some plans up his sleeve. Llorente? M'Vila?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 am
  • Honestly I think Arsenal is keeping quiet(aside from Bendtner being loaned out) for a reason. A small part of me is thinking they're monitoring the Dempsey situation from the shadows and could make a move if nothing develops with Liverpool. I'm still waiting to see if Cabaye or Tiote is coming in as well.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:46 am
  • Sky Sports reports that Dempsey-Liverpool is on the brink of a complete collapse. Liverpool have reportedly offered less than what Villa offered.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 am
  • If true about the low bid, Liverpool have only themselves to blame for making teams believe that we'll pay over the odds for average players.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:If true about the low bid, Liverpool have only themselves to blame for making teams believe that we'll pay over the odds for average players.

Fulham may also just refuse to sell to Liverpool. They've already lodged a complaint against Liverpool with the FA regarding their unsanctioned tapping up of Dempsey. Surely they will have offered at least .£7m?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:10 pm
  • Shockingly poor bit of business by liverpool... top 4 is a pipe dream with this squad... top 8 will be a stretch
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 pm
  • Really needed to bring in another attack-minded player today. If Suarez gets injured, we're buggered. Dempsey or Sturridge would have been great. I don't know if I'd say top 8 would be a stretch, Simon, there's still another transfer window in 4 months.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm
  • You guys remember when I said that Dempsey's confused? I think it's actually that he doesn't realize what qualifies as CL club. I'm still gonna cheer for him but like with Friedel, it's gonna make me sick to my stomach.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:50 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:You guys remember when I said that Dempsey's confused? I think it's actually that he doesn't realize what qualifies as CL club. I'm still gonna cheer for him but like with Friedel, it's gonna make me sick to my stomach.

Shut up, Gatehawk.

Anyway, Spurs just got A LOT better today, same with City. Well.....wait. SSN just said Moutinho will probably stay at Porto. Still, spurs are looking decent with the addition of Dempsey. The battle for 4th place will be a good one, with Spurs, Arse, Newcastle and possibly Liverpool all vying for points.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:07 pm
  • In fairness, Spurs is closer to the CL than Liverpool and tgey did improve. As for Arsenal, I'm likely the calmest Gooner out there, Piers Morgan is a good example of the anger among Arsenal fans.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm
  • Piers Morgan is also a complete twat. I've heard Liverpool might be looking at Michael Owen for striking cover. He's a free agent, so can be signed anytime.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:12 pm
  • A little disappointed we didn't add goal any threat(s) today, but I am also glad we didn't bend and just pay what the selling club wanted. Onward and upward we go.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:13 pm
  • For starters, transfer deadline day is a frigging nightmare. Aside from the fact it's pointless, it also means an entire day on the phone asking about the latest bull shit rumour on Twitter. I wish transfers were banned.

Liverpool - Without doubt Brendan Rodgers is paying the price for the absolute shitload of money wasted by Daglish and co.

Spurs - Not convinced. Lloris is all right. Dempsey... meh. He's OK. I'm used to being more impressed with Spurs with their signings. Think they've taken a step back since Harry's bizarre departure.

Man City - Why? Why are you signing players for the sake of it?

Everton - class. A club that knows exactly what it's doing and does it well. No delusions.

Arsenal - Not done enough.

Sheff Wed - Jay Bothroyd and Martin Taylor in the bag. Going places.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:27 pm
  • Agree about Everton. Man City are looking for top-drawer cover for their top-drawer starters. Plus, they buy players for the sake of it because they can.

I couldn't agree more about Rodgers, but I think he'll make the most of it. He's made some good signings this summer, and cut loose pretty much all of the dead weight. They'll need another striker come January for sure, but I like where we are for now.

Arsenal really missed the boat. They should have gone hard for Falcao, Llorente, even Sturridge. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:03 pm
  • I just wanna forget about the transfer window and focus on the games. Arsenal started fast and then just flat out stopped when they shouldn't have in transfers, so basically, in both my mind and a lot of Arsenal fans minds, the board just sold RvP and Song to line their pockets.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:25 am
  • I thought the Dembele move by Spurs was the class of the last day... for anyone not named City.

With Liverpool, the news out is that Ayre overplayed his hand with Dempsey. Thought himself to cute and probably did not take to seriously the earlier tapping up allegations.

Either way, with the initial disappointment gone, Liverpool has added Borini, Assaidi, Yezil, Allen and Sahin. Not enough, but decent quality in that. They needed to have a bigger day, but in the end we have to remember that this is transition.... anyways heard Drogba's available...

Big game this morning
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 am
  • Big game indeed. Are you watching, Simon?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:06 am
  • Liverpool as sloppy as hell in possession for that goal. Good counter attack though.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:19 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Liverpool as sloppy as hell in possession for that goal. Good counter attack though.

unfortunate considering how well they have played.well done by Podolski, good early find and great work to return to the ball... Diaby may be the best player on the field right now.

Liverpool are lacking again in the final 3rd... Borini and Suarez are poor at the moment
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 am
  • Apparently when Arsenal control the game, nothing happens. When they don't control possession, they score.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:09 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:Apparently when Arsenal control the game, nothing happens. When they don't control possession, they score.

classic counter attack soccer...

cant blame them, what threat has liverpool offered the goal?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:12 am
  • Got to say... Arsenal have coasted this. Liverpool look like a mid table team.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 am
  • I can't help but feel that this win was somewhat satisfying. I will admit I was worried cause I'm not convinced Vito Mannone is that good. I think this match really showed just how much improved Arsenal's defense is, I know I said that already but Liverpool is a whole other level compared to Stoke and Sunderland. The Reds were missing it's lethalness but they were finding chances and Arsenal gave up very little room and cut off a lot of movement.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:49 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Got to say... Arsenal have coasted this. Liverpool look like a mid table team.

Agreed. I'm struggling to see where any goals are going to come from with Liverpool. Defending has been a load of arse so far this season, build-up play is too slow, Suarez and Borini both look poor, Gerrard not providing much. Allen is fantastic, but doesn't offer much in attack. Sterling looks great but has no-one to service. Very poor.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:14 am
  • Rodgers talking about possibly signing Michael Owen in his press conference apparently.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:20 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Rodgers talking about possibly signing Michael Owen in his press conference apparently.

Seems to be the only option left after that dog's arse of a deadline day. Not sure how much that'll help, though.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 am
  • God damn Van Persie, Southampton didn't deserve to lose that match.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information