Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA/NHL/ARENA in Seattle thread...
Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm
  • drdiags wrote:Hope this is just un-founded speculation

Seattle Arena Plan @ArenaSeattle
    Sources close to the council have told us that most members are trying to find a way to reject it w/o making them look bad by using I-91.

These folks make all the crap fans take from others when talking about the original team leaving have ton of weight. Just make the vote and stop wasting time. Either do it or get off the pot. None of these folks will lose their seats. They fit the power base of the city. If not them, someone just like them would be sitting making the same claims regarding the deal.

Will keep fighting but these folks are just milking the clock right now if you ask me.

Well........just lost all faith reading that, so much for the return of the Sonics....... :34853_doh:

Can't describe how pissed I am right now.....
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 pm
  • That could be a bit of misinformation by supporters to get there to get others stirred up since it's basically been all opposition all the time lately. They need the momentum back.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 am
  • Screw seattle, man. I wont be showing up in that city anymore. Not even for a hawks game, sorry y'all judge me however you feel fit, seattle was and will alwaays be a POS town as long as they got clowns running that show.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:26 am
  • Whoa, whoa Throwdown. It's not over yet. Wait til it is to swear off the city. You'd be most right to do so. But at least let things totally play out first.

Not sure what to think of that @ArenaSeattle tweet. Not exactly sure what to make of that Twitter account, either. I pay close attention to all this stuff, and that account isn't of any official capacity. Do not confuse it for @SonicsArena, which is the official Chris Hansen account. @ArenaSeattle is just some supporter account. Not sure where they're getting their info from. Pinksheets might be right. It might be them trying to rile people up.

Not that I'd be surprised in the least if it was true. Even if it were, it can only be so many of the council. I know for a fact that there are a couple council members who are fighting for this. So it's not as if there's some sort of group stance right now. We're still in the everyone having their own opinion phase.

One of the more supportive city council members, Mike O'Brien is holding a town meeting with county council member Bob Ferguson:

King County Councilmember Bob Ferguson and Seattle City Councilmember Mike O’Brien will hold a joint town hall meeting on the arena proposal tomorrow:

Tuesday, July 10
    7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
    North Seattle Community College
    Cafeteria, College Center Building
    9600 College Way North
    Seattle, WA

I'm just as annoyed by crap like the Seattle Times editorial board and the city council as anyone. But trust me. This isn't going away without a serious fight. Keep the faith.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:57 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:Whoa, whoa Throwdown. It's not over yet. Wait til it is to swear off the city. You'd be most right to do so. But at least let things totally play out first.

Not sure what to think of that @ArenaSeattle tweet. Not exactly sure what to make of that Twitter account, either. I pay close attention to all this stuff, and that account isn't of any official capacity. Do not confuse it for @SonicsArena, which is the official Chris Hansen account. @ArenaSeattle is just some supporter account. Not sure where they're getting their info from. Pinksheets might be right. It might be them trying to rile people up.

Not that I'd be surprised in the least if it was true. Even if it were, it can only be so many of the council. I know for a fact that there are a couple council members who are fighting for this. So it's not as if there's some sort of group stance right now. We're still in the everyone having their own opinion phase.

One of the more supportive city council members, Mike O'Brien is holding a town meeting with county council member Bob Ferguson:

King County Councilmember Bob Ferguson and Seattle City Councilmember Mike O’Brien will hold a joint town hall meeting on the arena proposal tomorrow:

Tuesday, July 10
    7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
    North Seattle Community College
    Cafeteria, College Center Building
    9600 College Way North
    Seattle, WA

I'm just as annoyed by crap like the Seattle Times editorial board and the city council as anyone. But trust me. This isn't going away without a serious fight. Keep the faith.

well jesus now I feel like an idiot, I thought that was Hansens twitter
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 am
  • God i swear with all the information missinformation out there throw not suprized ppl are getting confused. I just wish that these councils would come out and atleast clear some crap up even if its one way or another. Saddly that won't happen cause there to damn scared to piss anybody off. So all this information that does get to the public gets so messed up we don't know what to believe. I will say this tho IF they vote this down i will not be spending a dime in that city. I have to pay great amounts to do so just to get there. IF they feel that there really are truely more important things. Then i will and have told all the councilors that not only will i not be spending my dollar in there city. I will make sure that it is known with the ppl in the area that i live. That they too should not do so as well. That franchises such as the sonics are not local anymore but international. And that by not allowing there city to have a basketball/hockey arena. They are cutting themselves out of millions of dollars. And as well hurting the current clubs that they have. Because this is now playing out on an international level. And ppl are now seeing that seattle is not a sports friendly town. And not welcoming to the traveler who would like to see a game there. I know this too be untrue as i have done just that many times and lived there for all of my childhood. But too the ppl who haven't all they here is rain and we don't like sports. So instead of going to seattle to see sports and nature they go to vancouver or other places. I have stressed this to the city and county council. And have recieved no reply so im waiting. Like all of you for there choice. And hope they make the right one.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ
    #CAPSFORJIMMY
    This staff does not care what Dan Quinn or anyone else knows.
    hawkcrazzed
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am
  • ST81 is right about the tweet I referenced. I follow the Chris Hansen sponsored twitter account but saw this re-tweeted by Doub, so may have given it more cred than it was due. They mention in their profile that they are not associated with the official group. Should have tossed it to the side.

Seattle Arena Plan
    @ArenaSeattle

The campaign to bring an arena to Seattle begins! Not related to Hansen investor group, but here to spread the movement.

BTW. This video by Aaron Levine is one I can agree with:

http://www.q13fox.com/sports/kcpq-commentary-arena-negativity-is-giving-me-a-headache-20120708,0,5543788.story
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 am
  • Yeah. Great piece by Levine. Here's another good one. Mike Salk sticking it to the Times for their embarrassing editorials.

http://mynorthwest.com/422/703667/Arena ... ge-mistake

I'm not going to try to debate The Times again. Instead, I'll simply offer a plea.

Please base your opinions and editorial stances on facts or philosophies rather than personal vendettas and lazy journalism. To characterize Hansen's intentions based on his profession and his bank account is unfair. To dismiss his math as "esoteric" is even worse: it's unprofessional. Dismissing the mathematical claims simply because they are difficult to understand could potentially prevent the city from an excellent opportunity.

If you want to oppose the arena deal, that's fine. But to do so like this doesn't befit our local paper of record.

You asked Mayor Mike McGinn to step aside? On this issue, I politely ask you to please do the same.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 am
  • Mike O’Brien just appeared on KJR with Dick Fain. Very encouraging interview. He was very reasonable regarding the different issues involved with this deal. Not rah rah about the proposal, critical where needed, but clearly sees it as a workable deal. That is what we need from these council members! People trying to make this a win-win for everyone involved. Not narrow minded bafoons with their head in the sand.

Here’s the link:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/cc-common ... _10246.mp3
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:24 am
  • Oh, and Nate McMillan was also on KJR today. Said if the opportunity ever were to present itself, that he'd love to coach the Sonics again.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:25 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:Mike O’Brien just appeared on KJR with Dick Fain. Very encouraging interview. He was very reasonable regarding the different issues involved with this deal. Not rah rah about the proposal, critical where needed, but clearly sees it as a workable deal. That is what we need from these council members! People trying to make this a win-win for everyone involved. Not narrow minded bafoons with their head in the sand.

Here’s the link:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/cc-common ... _10246.mp3

I'm listening to it right now. This guy gets it.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 am
  • Yo softy is going in on those chumps at the times.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:14 pm
  • And really, giving up is exactly what the anti-arena jerkoffs want us to do. They're smart enough to know that they're dealing with a pretty broken hearted fanbase, and how easy is it to shit on your friends and their girl leaves them? I know it's fun, but it's almost too easy. Let's not let our spirits drop until there is no hope left.

BTW, along with what Chris said about "Club Supersonics", if this deal gets sunk and something comes up in Bellevue down the road, put me on the list for calling them the "Bellevue Supersonics". Only thing that matters to me is that they're the Sonics, and I wouldn't mind putting up a permanent reminder that Seattle let someone take our team and didn't lift a finger to help when the team was generously being offered back.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:39 pm
  • I think that's silly and petty, pink. If the team returns, this is the city's team. US, the fans, the citizens. Not the city council's. Don't let 5 or 6 council members and the Seattle Times editorial board change that. Just stupid, IMO. WE are Seattle. Not them.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:54 pm
  • If this doesn't get approved then Seattle just proved how stupid they really are

Move them to Bellevue or Tacoma

Either cities is viable imo
    Shaz
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:24 pm
  • Bellevue yes, Tacoma no. And remember, Hansen already owns the property in SODO. This is not even close to being dead. I really believe EVERYthing the lame-wad S.C.C. is doing is trying to get a read on how all this will affect their re-election bids. Pathetic that this is what politics have devolved into. I wish that the normal Joe-Blow voter would actually educate themselves on this so they could see how sweet the deal is. It's so cut and dried to me and any person with a brain how benificial this deal is to the city. I'm stupefied at how refusing this deal is even an option. I hope that Mr. Hansen doesn't just throw his hands in the air and go F' IT!! I hope if the S.C.C. is that stupid and want even more, that Chris and his cronies just decide to pool the remaining $200 mil amongst themselves and call it good. This deal is not dead though. It's just a few complete idiots in government not daring to look bad. If they refuse this, oh, they'll look REALLY bad!! I hope they all get voted out just for being obstructionists in this "duh" sweetheart deal.
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:I think that's silly and petty, pink. If the team returns, this is the city's team. US, the fans, the citizens. Not the city council's. Don't let 5 or 6 council members and the Seattle Times editorial board change that. Just stupid, IMO. WE are Seattle. Not them.

:lol:

I know, I just like the idea of that if this fails and we do get our Sonics back at some point, that it should be remembered that there are those who did everything they could to stop this. Maybe commemorative patches or something?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am
  • Some great articles published today.

First is a smart, informed, reasoned take on the arena proposal from Crosscut. Basically the anti-Seattle Times editorial board. Funny enough, by a guy with the last name Van Dyk.

http://crosscut.com/2012/07/10/sports/1 ... arena-just

And this gem from Mike Salk, calling out the Seattle Times for being hypocritical yelling "no handouts to the wealthy" when they themselves are owned by a multimillionaire family that receives years public subsidy and tax breaks.

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=422&sid=704164&utm

Funny what happens when you look outside the Seattle Times to read up on this issue. ;)
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:01 am
  • Mike Salk should have his own gold roped seat at the new arena, he's been KILLING The Times everytime they say something. They declared war and he's certainly answered the bell the last two days.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:41 pm
  • I would like to get the City and County on TV for a public forum with the guys from Hansens group and the radio personalitys in the area. Hansens group for clarification, Radio personalitys to ask the questions that we all would love to ask.

I know they would never do it, being called on the carpet in front of an audience with someone able to put the facts right there in black and white for every arguement they want to throw out would be not only embarrassing for the politicians that are against it but would show everyone how petty and shallow they are.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:43 pm
  • I spoke with both Jerry Brewer of the Times and Mike Salk of 710 ESPN after the meeting yesterday. Both were really cool guys and took the time to chat with a few of us. Brewer is clearly frustrated with the Times' editorial board. He made a good point though. He said the editorial board has kind of blown their wad. They made their big declarative statement against the proposal with over a month left. That leaves a lot of for other writers to turn the momentum over the course of the next month. Danny Westneat's article today the perfect example. I said it before, guys. This isn't Splash Mountain. This is a roller coaster. Just my own personal opinion, but be ready for a ride.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:45 pm
  • One other thing. This absolutely made my day.

So earlier today I tweeted out the following:

@EJJ206
    Danny Westneat proves not everyone outside the sports section at @SeattleTimes is biased & lazy. http://fb.me/1zPX1GKVV @k8riley Take a note.

@k8riley being Kate Riley, page editor of the Seattle Times editorial board.

Here. Click to read my tweet and look who favorited the message.

https://twitter.com/EJJ206/status/223083477044699138

“The Seattle Times favorited your Tweet”

LOVE IT!!!

I’m guessing Jerry Brewer isn't the only Seattle Times employee frustrated with the editorial board.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I would like to get the City and County on TV for a public forum with the guys from Hansens group and the radio personalitys in the area. Hansens group for clarification, Radio personalitys to ask the questions that we all would love to ask.

I know they would never do it, being called on the carpet in front of an audience with someone able to put the facts right there in black and white for every arguement they want to throw out would be not only embarrassing for the politicians that are against it but would show everyone how petty and shallow they are.

Would love to see it, but politicians are all about self preservation, they'd never do it, because it would give their political opponets a ton of ammo to use against them come election time.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 pm
  • Got another good article for you guys.

The King County Council hired an outside panel of experts to look into a handful of questions they had regarding the arena proposal. Tomorrow the panel is going to brief the council. Here is a summary of what they've found. I would categorize it as rather favorable.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na12m.html

Economic impact

The tax impact of the arena is likely to be very small. However, public good, urban amenity, economic development and urban growth all are benefits that justify public involvement. The proposal wouldn't significantly influence the level of income or employment in the region.

Market analysis

With a basketball and a hockey team, Seattle would be the third most sports-saturated city in the country, behind Denver and Cleveland. That's based on population, number of sports teams, stadium size and home games. That doesn't mean Seattle isn't big enough to support the new teams, but they might be difficult to market, and they might take dollars, fans and attendance from existing teams.

Public financing

The proposed public-private partnership is one of the most favorable to the public of any recent partnership. The public investment carries little or no risk to the county's financial well-being, its bond rating or its general fund. The ArenaCo business model is probably not sustainable without public investment.

Transportation

Game-day traffic, similar to Mariners games, would add enough cars that the area would be as jammed from 6-7 p.m. as the normal 4-6 p.m. commute. Major improvements are needed to get pedestrians from train and bus stops to the arena. There should be more study about the Port of Seattle's future expansion plans, but for now there would seem to be little effect, as terminal gates close at 4:30 p.m.

Sodo land use

While not a single tipping point, the arena would continue a trend of a changing the Sodo neighborhood, adding retail, restaurants, offices and some residential. The change has been fairly modest and incremental. Additional residential development would speed up this change, but that seems unlikely on a grand scale, in part because of the inconvenience of living next to sports stadiums.

Port of Seattle

The port plans to expand operations in the next 25 years, but it's difficult to calculate how many jobs that would create, and that could be negligible. The Port also could have difficulty meeting its expansion goal because of competition and global issues unrelated to the proposed arena.

Let me highlight the #1 bit of that that really stood out to me. Let's read this again:

Public financing

The proposed public-private partnership is one of the most favorable to the public of any recent partnership. The public investment carries little or no risk to the county's financial well-being, its bond rating or its general fund. The ArenaCo business model is probably not sustainable without public investment.

BOOM!

I really wish this report would be given to the city council as well.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 pm
  • I'm positive that they'll most likely be receiving it, but just in case...
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 am
  • I hate that the few that people in the City Council that oppose this happen to be the loudest and abrasive people in all this
    Shaz
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:29 pm
  • Thanks for posting the article, Jordan. I recently decided to stop supporting the Seattle Times in any way but that article was well worth the read.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm
  • that sports saturation is going to bother those people, I just know it. But I wish they didn't use the NHL as an absolute, because it's not! Only an NBA franchise is needed for shovels to go into the ground.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:that sports saturation is going to bother those people, I just know it. But I wish they didn't use the NHL as an absolute, because it's not! Only an NBA franchise is needed for shovels to go into the ground.

I cringed when I saw that as well. Not all sports fans are alike. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 pm
  • They said Might, Might is a big maybe, maybe if the Mariners would not have strived for attendence based on the teams that Gillick and Lou built and managed and wanted to ride that string out as long as they could without hiring a replacement in both GM and Manager. The fact that Lincoln and his cohorts made things difficult to the point that Gillick and Lou both left is the real issue.

So as far as being able to show a market share they need to work as diligently as teams that want to be competitive every year do.

This whole ability to support teams is coming from the Mariners, it reeks of Howard Lincoln.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm
  • The sports market saturation topic drives me nuts for multiple reasons.

Like JOz56 said, not all sports fans are alike. Many NBA and NHL fans who would go to lots and lots of games aren't currently all going to lots and lots of baseball, football, or soccer games instead.

Comparing number of teams strictly to population is very misleading. First of all, the Seattle area is on the more affluent side of comparably sized cities. Secondly, professional sports are entering a new age where gate sales makes up a far smaller portion of a team's overall profitability. In the age of DVR's, tv contracts are skyrocketing due to live sports being one of the only things on television that people want to watch live. Therefore being some of the only programming companies want to advertise during. Teams do not have to constantly sell out to stay profitable.

One of the parts of this report that drove me nuts is including the Storm. Really?! I can't stand hearing the Storm listed in the discussion. Just because it's "pro" women's basketball, dosn't make it worthy of including. The Storm don't draw even close to these other sports. They're closer in attendance to the minor league baseball and hockey teams we have in the region. I get that the WNBA is great for women's rights and equality, whatever. But it doesn't belong in this discussion at all. I initially was bothered by listing the Sounders, as the MLS is NOT by any means a major sport in this country. But at some point you can't deny how crazy the fans support the team.

That brings me to my next reason for being annoyed at this discussion. Who here knows people who for the most part aren't that big on sports, yet like going to Sounders games? I personally know a ton. Soccer is one of the most accessible/simple sports for non-sports die hards to enjoy. I have lots of friends who can't get their girlfriend or wife to go to a Seahawks or M's game. But they're all over Sounders games. Add to that a lot of the really hard core soccer fans, many of whom really only love soccer. That's a rather unique fan base that I don't exactly see NBA or NHL teams taking away from. Oh, and you want an even more unique fan base. I give you the Seattle Storm. You guys are well aware that the WNBA is heavily supported by the lesbian community, right? With the rest being families with young girls. The Storm are about as niche as you can get in terms of fan bases. The only sports teams that threaten tho draw from that fan base would be other women's teams.

And the main reason I hate this argument. We all know damn good and well that Seattle supports are winner. Always has. Always will. Heck, it goes beyond that for the most part, given the team having somewhat recent success. The only time teams here struggle attendance wise is when they are terrible for years on end. Like a certain baseball team that is continuing to try and live off 1995 and 2001. The current Seattle sports paradigm allows for a team like the M's to put out a good product once a decade, and suck for years and get away with it. The current lack of competition allows it. And that is why the M's and Howard Lincoln do not want this arena built. They don't want to be held accountable to the level they should be. If we had more teams, it would encourage teams to put a better product on the field. Better product on the whole for our teams would lead to fans attending games. No matter how many teams. If fan support is tied to market saturation like these people want to make us believe. Why are the M's struggling attendance wise so bad right now? Who is taking all of their fans? Yeah, exactly.

Stupid discussion. Needs to go away.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm
  • Another point that makes the too many teams argument silly. Do you have any idea how many Canadians will come down for hockey? A LOT. And not just for Canucks games. Canada loves hockey just that much. Same would go for any displaced NHL fans in Portland. Also, keep in mind the strong minor league hockey support in the area with Everett and the T-Birds in Kent. That's a strong base to start with that doesn't take away from M's, Hawks, Sounders, etc. Or should we argue and worry over minor league teams outside of Seattle suffering from the addition of a pro team?
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 pm
  • Are they just looking at the Seattle area, or are they looking at the surrounding areas as well? Are they taking into consideration people who would travel over there for games? I can't tell you how many people I saw at Hoopfest here in Spokane that were wearing Sonics gear (yours truly included) that are all primed to drive over for several games a year. That isn't just money that goes into the stadium, that is hotels, restaurants, and possible areas to check out from people not around the area.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm
  • Jon Talton, economic writer for the Seattle Times questioning why the Port is against the arena:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... _port.html

"I continue to believe this is the best deal any city could hope for and Seattle will be foolish to kill it, or cause it to be built on a suburban site (talk about traffic). The goal should be to push the gentrification north toward Pioneer Square while enacting policies and incentives to preserve industrial uses in Sodo, as well as improving truck access to the port. The arena alone won't create many well-paid jobs. The port does. But it's not either/or; a successful city can walk and chew gum at the same time. An arena and NBA team are valuable civic assets in themselves (or 30 NBA cities are fools and somehow we're smarter)."
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 pm
  • Did anyone see the front page of the times today, It had this big artical on the Viduct being completed and the City of Seattle wanting to make a waterfront that seves everyone and are comparing it to the Worlds Fair in 1964 as far as unifieing and bringing the City together.

The only obstacle they see is financing it, guess where the next arguement is going to come from?

They are going to put that Waterfront or the Arena option on the table, the Times ran the story, it's on the Waterfront (Port of Seattle) and you watch the Mariners will offer money to help them out some how.

The City and Council will say that they can't finance both projects and that the Bond Rating will be insuffciant to carry both projects. Since the Waterfront will serve everyone they should put the money towards that instead of the New Arena and the Sports fans.

Just waiting now for someone to say this publicly.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:45 pm
  • It's an easy argument to make, Chris. A sports team simply doesn't have the cultural value that
    a heated saltwater swimming pool on a barge, a seasonal roller rink on a pier and a mist machine
    will bring.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm
  • Hey but we have a giant ferris wheel!

I hate Seattle more and more each day.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:43 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Hey but we have a giant ferris wheel!

This whole thing is giving Seattle the opportunity to show itself as a bunch of hippies. 'Specially those clowns at the times.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:10 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Hey but we have a giant ferris wheel!

This whole thing is giving Seattle the opportunity to show itself as a bunch of hippies. 'Specially those clowns at the times.

I hate the Seattle Times.........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:27 pm
  • Dudes, Don't freak out over the silly Seattle Times editorial piece asking which people would rather, the waterfront or arena. First of all, it's just their ridiculous way of twisting the facts. Second of all, did you see the poll results? 85% picked either "build both" or "just the arena".

The two proposals have nothing in common. And aren't fighting for the same money. AT ALL. The arena is mostly self-funded and paid only by taxes from patrons and the arena company. Secondly, the arena is only borrowing from the city selling bonds. The bonds are being paid back by the arena generated taxes. The waterfront would have to generate funds to pay back a similar bonding. How you say? By general fund taxes. Huge difference. Anyone with half a brain knows the two are not in competition. Never will be. Only people trying to twist the facts and make the arena look bad (The Seattle Times) would even pretend to raise such a question.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:15 pm
  • What's funny is that the Times has so much to gain if two new sports franchises come to the city in the form of the NBA and the NHL. That's a guaranteed 100+ articles and events that will be written about each franchise on a yearly basis. Sports are a huge business for newspapers and to think that the Times and it's Op Ed board would ignore that is mind-numbingly stupid.

I am leaning more toward "this is a no brainer" for the city and county councils; since the general public does not have any say in this matter I am not afraid of the Times and their mis-information rally-call. I'm glad that they raise these questions, even if they're stupid because all they do is show how put together Chris Hansen's plan is. This man is a political general and chewing up dumb questions and spitting our lightening. If you listen to this guy, you believe in him. He's so mild-mannered but there is something about a man with a beautiful plan.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:57 pm
  • So he's William Wallace re incarnated, Shoots fireballs out his eyes and thunderbolts out his ass. My kind of leader :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 am

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2018683658_guest16jeangodden.html

The Times at it again........

No, thats actually Seattle City Council member Jean Godden, what a champ!

:roll:
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2018683658_guest16jeangodden.html

The Times at it again........

No, thats actually Seattle City Council member Jean Godden, what a champ!

:roll:

Interesting how she ends the article:

Let's not slide into the old ways of giving lip service to women's enterprises and women athletes. There needs to be real consideration given to securing a long-term, financially viable home for the Storm.

Sooooooo... If the Storm moves into the new Sonics stadium when it's built, that's not securing a long-term, financially viable home for them? I'm confused, and I think she is too.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:12 pm
  • I'm torn. On one hand, only in Seattle would people support a women's league that is eternally flirting with folding over the NBA. On the other hand, there is entirely no reason why this is something to get in the way of the arena. If anything, Chris Hansen's deal is good for the Storm. He's going to put money into the Key. Either they get their home improved, or they go to the new arena. Win-win, IMO.

Hansen has already replied:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/regardi ... ttle-storm
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information