Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • You guys want the Blazers? Its embarassing and painful watching them for the last month. Seems like every other game is the new "most embarassing game of the season". Blown out by 42 by the Knicks tonight. The Blazers didnt even care, didnt even try. 5 assists as a team yesterday in a blow out loss to indiana, made 20 field goals the whole game.

Terrible, horrible, pathetic. You guys may have them.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:You guys want the Blazers? Its embarassing and painful watching them for the last month. Seems like every other game is the new "most embarassing game of the season". Blown out by 42 by the Knicks tonight. The Blazers didnt even care, didnt even try. 5 assists as a team yesterday in a blow out loss to indiana, made 20 field goals the whole game.

Terrible, horrible, pathetic. You guys may have them.

Can you get Paul Allen to sign the team over to us? That would be fantastic. Thanks.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Man this event sure slowed down rather quickly. I need more news now!

Well there is no team that can move in time for next season, we're officialy just chilling in the bushes like a freaking creeper!

Nawww you can keep your Blazers, J. We're gonna need your rivalry here in a few years.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Man this event sure slowed down rather quickly. I need more news now!

Well there is no team that can move in time for next season, we're officialy just chilling in the bushes like a freaking creeper!

Nawww you can keep your Blazers, J. We're gonna need your rivalry here in a few years.

Yea, after todays moves im' feeling more optimistic about the future, so the offer is off the table! Now that McMillan is free though it would be pretty awesome if Seattle was able to get a team this offseason and make Mr. Sonic the first coach of the new sonics.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Jimmy Smith ‏ @JimmySmithtp Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will announce agreement of lease extension with #Hornets through 2024 this P.M. Details to come.

And there's that.

Uh...Milwaukee then?

Pretty weird to think about how badly our city got screwed and cities with half empty arenas get the red carpet treatment.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Re: New NBA/NHL/ARENA in Seattle thread...
Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 am
  • Milwaukee, memphis, charlotte still possibilities
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am
  • if they move Memphis it will be back to Vancouver. stern is embarrassed with how things left there and its a dark spot on his legacy. the canadian economy has righted itself in regards to the position it was in during the grizzlies stay there and would work in today's NBA. Vancouver has a ton of money and a lot of people love basketball up there. every season Toronto plays a bunch of preseason there and its nuts. Steve Nash has brought a lot of exposure to the province as well with his success. players might not be so horny to play up there but it has its advantages as well. this is just my opinion though, so its not really worth much ha ha

Milwaukee and Charlotte should be your number 1a/1b priorities. Jordan is a cheapskate so he is the wild-card in all of this. if herb kohl passes away (born 1935) in the near future maybe his family does the Ralph Wilson thing and sells it, allowing relocation. who knows eh?
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm
  • The Blazers are pretty locked in to their lease. Besides, no thanks!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Jimmy Smith ‏ @JimmySmithtp Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will announce agreement of lease extension with #Hornets through 2024 this P.M. Details to come.

And there's that.

Uh...Milwaukee then?

Pretty weird to think about how badly our city got screwed and cities with half empty arenas get the red carpet treatment.

Wow...really? New Orleans can only support one team and we all know that thats the Saints..
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• GET A HOLD OF CHRIS HANSEN SOMEHOW! TODAY!!!!

“It’s in the initial stages. We’ve handled this just like we’ve handled several other dozen requests. My situation in Memphis has not changed a lick. My preference will always be for somebody in Memphis to buy the team. There’s not any interest in Memphis. But we’ve always made it known that if somebody wants to buy the team, we’ll listen. If they’re real buyers we’ll probably be sellers. So far there hasn’t been anyone willing to buy the team under my terms and for my price.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -too-well/

that vancouver comment i made the other day might just be full of ish :)

zbo, gasol, conley, mayo, gay they have a good team :th2thumbs:
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• soohawk wrote:GET A HOLD OF CHRIS HANSEN SOMEHOW! TODAY!!!!

“It’s in the initial stages. We’ve handled this just like we’ve handled several other dozen requests. My situation in Memphis has not changed a lick. My preference will always be for somebody in Memphis to buy the team. There’s not any interest in Memphis. But we’ve always made it known that if somebody wants to buy the team, we’ll listen. If they’re real buyers we’ll probably be sellers. So far there hasn’t been anyone willing to buy the team under my terms and for my price.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -too-well/

that vancouver comment i made the other day might just be full of ish :)

zbo, gasol, conley, mayo, gay they have a good team :th2thumbs:

Paging Chris Hansen, paging Mr. Chris Hansen, you have a situation to take advantage of on line 1.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Haha I got an early jump on being a fan too, let's goooooo
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Its crazy thinking maybe but for some reason I think sooner than later I think we'll get this done in seattle. The vide I get from Hansen is he knows somethings up but wants to keep it hushed up.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Its crazy thinking maybe but for some reason I think sooner than later I think we'll get this done in seattle. The vide I get from Hansen is he knows somethings up but wants to keep it hushed up.

Mn I hope thats the case because I had the feeling early on in this process, but when things started to slow down so did me thinking that he did have something on the back burner.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Are there any updates? It's been about a month and a half since the mayor announced the Chris Hansen proposal.

And the Stadium Advisory Board was looking it over, to give their results to the city.

But haven't heard a peep since. Anyone heard anything?

Mayor McGinn and Executive Constantine have directed the Arena Advisory Panel they appointed to review the financing and other details of the proposal to ensure that the proposal is in the best interest of the public. The Panel is asked to submit its findings and report to the County Executive and Mayor in March. The Panel will be comprised of the following members:

• Jan Drago, co-chair – former Seattle and King County Councilmember
    • Maud Daudon, co-chair – CEO and President of Seattle Northwest Securities Corporation; former Seattle deputy mayor and chief of staff
    • Lenny Wilkens, co-chair – NBA Hall of Famer and former SuperSonics coach
    • David Freiboth – executive secretary of the ML King County Labor Council.
    • Doris Koo – former president and CEO of Enterprise Community Partners
    • Karen Lee – CEO of Pioneer Human Services
    • Estela Ortega – executive director of El Centro de la Raza
    • Greg Smith – founder and CEO of Urban Visions
    • Anthony R. Miles – partner in the Seattle law office of Stoel Rives LLP
    • Dr. Jill Wakefield – Chancellor of Seattle Community Colleges

What do we have, 2 days left? :34853_doh:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Looks like there is a new proposal out there as well,

http://www.emikeflynn.com/blog/156/flyn ... arena-con/

Torrance is unveiling his idea as an advisory panel prepares to deliver a report to Seattle City Council and King County Council on a plan by Chris Hansen

Torrance, a senior vice president for CBRE, the commercial real estate giant, has guided creation of a plan that would turn 88 acres of Port of Seattle’s Terminal 46 into a convention center and an arena, with provisions for a new cruiseship terminal and waterfront park.

He’s already had early discussions with city and county officials and port representatives and hopes to make contact with Hansen as well to outline the plan and seek to gather support.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I seriously have for the last 3 months put half of my checks away for season tickets.

PLEASE COME HERE. I NEED NBA.
    hawky
    NET Veteran

• Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
    The Arena Panel meeting will be at the Bertha Landes room at #Seattle City Hall, and is open to the public.

Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
    I am told the Arena panel will also make a recommendation at that time, to the Seattle and King County Councils.

Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
    Seattle's Arena Panel has scheduled a 5pm meeting on Wednesday, April 4th. They will officially release report on Hansen proposal then.

Well there you go, we'll see on the 4th
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I could care less about an NBA team as I am a lifelong Trailblazer fan, but an NHL team would be awesome. Maybe then I could stop following the Avalanche.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• All signs are the panels going to have a really good report.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:All signs are the panels going to have a really good report.

Good now lets get some teams in here!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Looks like Michael Jordan's done with the Bobcats

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/ ... s/10453750

The city of Charlotte won't support 'em. Even if they suck. They're the worst team in the league, if they got the first overall pick, you're looking at Anthony Davis and his unibrow, plus they have Kemba Walker. I'll take 'em though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Looks like Michael Jordan's done with the Bobcats

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/ ... s/10453750

The city of Charlotte won't support 'em. Even if they suck. They're the worst team in the league, if they got the first overall pick, you're looking at Anthony Davis and his unibrow, plus they have Kemba Walker. I'll take 'em though.

Very interesting....
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am
  • Howard Lincoln is a schmuck, he can't figure out how to make the M's successful, how the hell does he know about another team and franchise and what can make them successful.

Mariners just want a pay off and to have things fixed for them and Safeco transportation wise. The roads and structure there has needed to be upgraded for years. They are more worried about losing ticket sales to the Sonics over if the plan is feasable or not.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Blitzer88 wrote:http://www.king5.com/sports/Mariners-dead-set-against-location-of-proposed-SODO-arena-146027195.html

Well....the Mariners are trying to rain on our NBA/NHL parade.

I don't get it...

YOU. ARE. THE. MARINERS!

Its disgusting to me personally that they get any say on the matter, you can't even put a compelling product on the field, and you're gonna throw your hat in this? Screw you Mariners, Its a shame we built you that palace cuz you guys damn well dont deserve it. I'm sure all the things they brought up in that letter have already been in consideration well before they opened their mouths.

I believe it comes down to attendance. Basketball is a much more exciting sport to watch, and the Mariners are probably the 2nd worst franchise in baseball and one of the worst in all of sports. Attendance has been dwindling at Safeco over the years as the teams been stuck in crap mode for the past 11 years. That tends to happen, atleast I think it would.. They don't wanna lose anymore. But hey, if you make the team good, they'll come back, but they just wanna sit there and make money, who cares about winning? only fans care about winning.

I really cannot stand this franchise anymore, I used to love them. Griffey was that dude, Ichiro, Felix, Jay Buehner, Dan Wilson all bad ass players, I'm sure Ackley's going to be mentioned with the Mariner greats as well. But this franchise is an embarassment to this Seattle Sports fan.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• This is another reason to never ever support the Mariners again. IF they screw up this deal I will never spend another dime on them nor will I root for them. They will be the enemy!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:http://www.king5.com/sports/Mariners-dead-set-against-location-of-proposed-SODO-arena-146027195.html

Well....the Mariners are trying to rain on our NBA/NHL parade.

I don't get it...

YOU. ARE. THE. MARINERS!

Its disgusting to me personally that they get any say on the matter, you can't even put a compelling product on the field, and you're gonna throw your hat in this? Screw you Mariners, Its a shame we built you that palace cuz you guys damn well dont deserve it. I'm sure all the things they brought up in that letter have already been in consideration well before they opened their mouths.

I believe it comes down to attendance. Basketball is a much more exciting sport to watch, and the Mariners are probably the 2nd worst franchise in baseball and one of the worst in all of sports. Attendance has been dwindling at Safeco over the years as the teams been stuck in crap mode for the past 11 years. That tends to happen, atleast I think it would.. They don't wanna lose anymore. But hey, if you make the team good, they'll come back, but they just wanna sit there and make money, who cares about winning? only fans care about winning.

I really cannot stand this franchise anymore, I used to love them. Griffey was that dude, Ichiro, Felix, Jay Buehner, Dan Wilson all bad ass players, I'm sure Ackley's going to be mentioned with the Mariner greats as well. But this franchise is an embarassment to this Seattle Sports fan.

Yeah, just when I was starting to gain some hope in them as a franchise getting all these young talented players, though go and plus this little stunt.........smh. Howard and Lincoln need to go asap!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:18 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:This is another reason to never ever support the Mariners again. IF they screw up this deal I will never spend another dime on them nor will I root for them. They will be the enemy!

While I'm not going to hate on the Ms hardcore right now, and I think they're a young team worth starting to get excited about, IF they help blow up the SODO location and make Hansen pull out entirely, I'm on board with you Tech. I would never spend another penny on anything Mariners. Which is why this makes no sense. Let's be real, they're really worried about ticket sales due to people's limited discretionary spending on entertainment, but I'm confident their ticket sales will suffer far more if they stop us from getting the Sonics back.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:38 am
  • Good ol' Seattle politics.

Back in the day the Sonics did a great job of c#$%blocking the NHL from coming here.

Now the Mariners are trying to c#$%block the Sonics from coming back, and once again the NHL gets resistance from a current sports franchise.

:pukeface:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:26 pm
  • Wow, so reportedly some of the questions from the phone survey the Ms are doing include:

Are you in favor of a new sports arena in the SODO district?
    Are you in favor of a new sports arena or new roads?
    Are you in favor of a new sports arena or improving schools?
    Are you in favor of a new sports arena or low-income housing?

Seriously. They're push-polling, making it seem like they're against the arena altogether.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 pm
  • And this when they are sitting in their 100% publicly funded stadium... wow
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:And this when they are sitting in their 100% publicly funded stadium... wow

They should donate the public cost of Safeco towards these causes.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Smurf wrote:The Mariners are dead to me.

http://seattlesportsnet.com/2012/04/03/ ... odo-arena/

Awesome article.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I mean I will always be an M's fan, but these statements feel like someone is punching me in my face over and over again.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• The Mariners are officially trying to kill this.

The argument Armstrong is making that the SODO arena would only be viable if there is a HUGE investment in public dollars to widen roads, build overpasses, add offramps, which when he says those things he acknowledges that the money it would take is so much more than the public would want to pay. It's also common knowledge that the only reason this arena deal is so viable here in Seattle is that it requires really no public risk or large investment. So if suddenly the only way to do this in SODO is with a huge public investment, it's dead. Which means what? It means we need to find a new location, but if you do that, Chris Hansen and his group are out. That's the group who is willing to make sure there's not a huge public investment and invest a ton of private money, which means any other location will likely require a huge public investment, which is again a non-starter. The Mariners organization knows what it's doing, it's setting up the perfect argument to kill this thing without actually arguing to kill it outright. They get plausible deniability, or so they think.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Hey M's, your stadium was built with public $$'s. STFU!!! You have no say in this, so shove it! Idiots. Worst thing the M's ever did was hang onto the old guard: Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong. Those two should have been dumped years ago... Many years losers, always losers

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• And this is another reason why I find it so hard to support this team again. :Dunno:
    Beast Mode
    NET Rookie

• Erin Hawksworth ‏ @ErinHawksworth Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn & Arena investor Chris Hansen will make an announcement regarding Arena proposal today.
    Retweeted by Dave Softy Mahler

Looks like the mayor and Hansen will make an announcement today.... together. No mention of the Mariners trying to crash the party. :thirishdrinkers:

This can only be good.

I have to say I like this McGinn guy, seems fully on board and really trying to make this happen. Refreshing actually.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na05m.html

The citizens panel reviewing the proposal for a $490 million sports arena in Seattle's Sodo District says it's a good plan

"This is an unprecedented opportunity to bring two professional sports teams back to Seattle," said Greg Smith, a Seattle developer and member of the Arena Review Panel
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:34 am
  • I only caught the last 10 minutes or so, but all that really needs to be said is Hansen is maaaaannnnnnnnn.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 am
  • Hansen is going to look over the concerns the Port and the Mariners and fund it ALL!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Hansen is going to look over the concerns the Port and the Mariners and fund it ALL!

Ah....what?

I have a man crush for Mr. Hansen!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Throwdown wrote:Hansen is going to look over the concerns the Port and the Mariners and fund it ALL!

can i get a link?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Hansen is going to look over the concerns the Port and the Mariners and fund it ALL!

can i get a link?

Seattle Times Link
    Chris Hansen, the San Francisco hedge-fund manager proposing to invest in a new basketball and hockey arena in Sodo, will pay to have its traffic and parking impacts studied, Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine announced Thursday, along with Hansen.

“At the end of the day I’m also a Seahawks, Mariners and Sounders fan,” Hansen said today. “There are some valid concerns down here and we’re going to do our best to address them.”
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• sammyc521 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Hansen is going to look over the concerns the Port and the Mariners and fund it ALL!

can i get a link?

Seattle Times Link
    Chris Hansen, the San Francisco hedge-fund manager proposing to invest in a new basketball and hockey arena in Sodo, will pay to have its traffic and parking impacts studied, Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine announced Thursday, along with Hansen.

“At the end of the day I’m also a Seahawks, Mariners and Sounders fan,” Hansen said today. “There are some valid concerns down here and we’re going to do our best to address them.”

Yup....full on man crush. This guy is doing everything we need to get this arena to happen.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Howard Lincoln put that in your pipe and smoke it.....

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information