Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: New NBA/NHL/ARENA in Seattle thread...
Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 am
  • Word is Kevin Johnson, the Maloofs, and the NBA have worked out an arena deal. Before everyone freaks out and thinks that ends things (as is already taking place around the internet, of course), this was always going to happen> KJ didn't go down there to not come up with an agreement to present the Sacramento city council. Keep in mind this is no more a done deal than the arena proposal in Seattle. As of now, it's just a proposed plan. The city council still has to review the deal and vote on it.

For all we know they might say no to selling the city's parking, which the entire deal centers around. Not to mention the other aspects of the agreement between KJ and the league. There is a long way still to go between now and the March 6 vote. It might work out and pass. But it's no sure thing.

It's rumored that the Maloofs are contributing up to $70 million in this plan. But it remains to be seen if that number includes the $50 million AEG contribution that Stern the other day said the league considered to be on the owners' behalf. Which flew in the face of what KJ and the city was thinking. They were expecting $70-90 mil from the Maloofs plus the $50 mil from AEG. So there's a lot of details to remain to be known. Did KJ, who is as invested in this thing as any mayor could ever be, have to make consessions to the league and Maloofs to make up some of that ground? Will the city council approve, if so? Like I said, we'll know a lot more come March 6. Not now.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 am
  • And regardless of what happens there, as long as we get our arena plan approved by the city council... teams will come.

Doesn't matter what happens elsewhere, as long as Seattle gets their arena in place, there will be plenty of other NBA and NHL teams looking to move, looking for a new arena to play in. I'm not worried about that.

Build it and they will come. Maybe not the Kings, maybe not the Coyotes, but some other teams in the future.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:49 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:And regardless of what happens there, as long as we get our arena plan approved by the city council... teams will come.

Doesn't matter what happens elsewhere, as long as Seattle gets their arena in place, there will be plenty of other NBA and NHL teams looking to move, looking for a new arena to play in. I'm not worried about that.

Build it and they will come. Maybe not the Kings, maybe not the Coyotes, but some other teams in the future.

Exactly.

And on the other side of the coin, if we mess up this Hansen proposal and let the naysayers and city council let it slide by, good luck ever seeing an arena or teams in the city ever. So yeah, we need to focus on what we can control. Sure, until a team is available, nothing will happen. But without the deal in place, ready and waiting, NOTHING will ever happen.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 pm
  • Just makes me think there's a reason my Hansen was so reluctant to come out with this publicly. Seattle is a huge threat to many of these cities trying to keep their teams. If the city council does its part, we are a lock for a team to relocate here.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Yipee, now we just have to wait even longer for a team to return to Seattle.....
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I too wanted instant gratification, but I think we're just gonna have to be more patient than I was hoping for. For some reason I get the feeling that the prospect of both teams having to play in Key Arena for a couple years may be a sticking point with both leagues. They really hate that arena for some reason.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• If this deal hinged on the Kings, or the Kings were the intended centerpiece, we would have never announced like we did.

A) The risk would be huge in getting up Seattle fans' hopes in such an unlikely scenario.
    B) By holding the press conference we put Sacramento's politicians on the spot. If anything, the announcement of our proposed arena helped Sacramento keep the Kings. There was a very clear destination for that team if a deal isn't/wasn't worked out, not a vague threat of leaving, but a city about to build the type of arena their team wants. 'No' was made definitely not an option by this city.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Like I initially thought, NBA here next year was a stretch, fun to imagine though wasnt it?

We need that arena though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Chris Hansen released a statement saying that his plan is not and was not contingent on the Kings. He's thinking much bigger, grand scheme here. He didn't buy all that land just for a shot in the dark chance at one specific team. Fans obviously got excited and are impatient. But this is a much longer term deal. Everyone just relax.

If you're interested in the issue and cause in general. I can't recommend enough checking out http://www.SonicsCentral.com. It's sort of the Seahawks.Net for the Supes, and has been home to the Save Our Sonics people ever since the whole Clay Bennett thing began. Pretty cool that it's continued to run all this time. If you're ever curious as to what's going on, it's the place to check out. They're always ahead of the rest of the internet in terms of what's going on and what exactly is happening. If you read that site, everything else you read in the media looks misinformed. Great site.

The latest news centers around Bellevue entering the arena discussion. Not that I'd want it there over SODO by any means. As well as I would hate to see Hansen's plan ignored and Hansen out of the equation. But Bellevue making their interest known is a good thing. It puts pressure on Seattle to not blow this proposed deal. If Seattle goofs around and gets fussy, Bellevue could be ready to swoop in and steal all that future business. I'd take Bellevue as a site for an arena if it was impossible in SODO. But more than anything right now, they're best as a kick in the pants to Seattle to get it's crap together and not take Hansen's offer for granted.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• I'm not sure if it's similar to what the Hansen guy is doing, but I hear the city of Sacramento has to give at least 200+ million to fund the new stadium. That could be a potential deal-breaker there.
    Beast Mode
    NET Rookie

• Beast Mode wrote:I'm not sure if it's similar to what the Hansen guy is doing, but I hear the city of Sacramento has to give at least 200+ million to fund the new stadium. That could be a potential deal-breaker there.

SAC is really getting screwed in the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they voted down the proposal. The NBA obviously doesn't want to be in Sacramento.
    hawky
    NET Veteran

• hawky wrote:
    Beast Mode wrote:I'm not sure if it's similar to what the Hansen guy is doing, but I hear the city of Sacramento has to give at least 200+ million to fund the new stadium. That could be a potential deal-breaker there.

SAC is really getting screwed in the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they voted down the proposal. The NBA obviously doesn't want to be in Sacramento.

If they can't even get an NFL stadium in LA, then I doubt it'll ever happen either. It sucks that Sacramento might lose their team, but I guess this is how the NBA works now.

If it helps us get the Sonics back, then I'm all for it. I could care less about Sacramento.
    Beast Mode
    NET Rookie

• Beast Mode wrote:
    hawky wrote:
    Beast Mode wrote:I'm not sure if it's similar to what the Hansen guy is doing, but I hear the city of Sacramento has to give at least 200+ million to fund the new stadium. That could be a potential deal-breaker there.

If they can't even get an NFL stadium in LA, then I doubt it'll ever happen either. It sucks that Sacramento might lose their team, but I guess this is how the NBA works now.

If it helps us get the Sonics back, then I'm all for it. I could care less about Sacramento.

LA is the worst sports town anyways.
    hawky
    NET Veteran

• with the arena vote in sacramento going through last night (i think they just need to square the parking lot one now...not overly sure) and the quebecois government putting aside money to refurbish the colisee pepsi for next season (quebec city's nhl arena) the time is now to act for that new seattle stadium. i know it takes time to put this shit together but it seriously needs to be figured out by april/may when the coyotes are done playing (hopefully one and done in the playoffs) to see where they are going to be playing next year. some dude is rumored to want to buy them and keep them locally but ill believe that when i see it. with the quebec arena getting fixed up and a new one being built, if they snake that nhl team that puts you guys behind the 8 ball even worse than with the sacramento kings situation IMO because they are pretty much the only team relocating anytime soon in the league (at least basketball has a few options)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... rbishment/
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• Question, Do the Milwaukee Bucks have any fans? I saw the highlights of Brandon Jennings going off on the sixers and there was literally like 6 fans in the crowd. Can we have them?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• im going to watch him play on sunday buddy, after i ask him to demand a trade to play with his boy demar ill see what the story is on the bucks and their fans...and yes you can have them, all the locals seem to care about are the packers and defending ryan braun's honor!
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• New Orleans is the team I would want. With 2 lottery picks next year we could have out next Payton and Kemp right away and hopefully help us forget Durant.
    slybry75
    NET Practice Squad

• as long they didn't keep Eric Gordon, I'd be happy. I don't like undersized SG's, kind of a pet peeve of mine.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• slybry75 wrote:New Orleans is the team I would want. With 2 lottery picks next year we could have out next Payton and Kemp right away and hopefully help us forget Durant.

David Stern would have to die before he lets the Hornets leave N.O

Seriously, the guy has put his foot down at every possible outcome that has someone buying the team and moving it.

Too bad Adam Silver is a snake as well because he has been groomed for the last 10 years to become the new dictator of the NBA.
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• Man this event sure slowed down rather quickly. I need more news now!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• You guys want the Blazers? Its embarassing and painful watching them for the last month. Seems like every other game is the new "most embarassing game of the season". Blown out by 42 by the Knicks tonight. The Blazers didnt even care, didnt even try. 5 assists as a team yesterday in a blow out loss to indiana, made 20 field goals the whole game.

Terrible, horrible, pathetic. You guys may have them.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:You guys want the Blazers? Its embarassing and painful watching them for the last month. Seems like every other game is the new "most embarassing game of the season". Blown out by 42 by the Knicks tonight. The Blazers didnt even care, didnt even try. 5 assists as a team yesterday in a blow out loss to indiana, made 20 field goals the whole game.

Terrible, horrible, pathetic. You guys may have them.

Can you get Paul Allen to sign the team over to us? That would be fantastic. Thanks.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Man this event sure slowed down rather quickly. I need more news now!

Well there is no team that can move in time for next season, we're officialy just chilling in the bushes like a freaking creeper!

Nawww you can keep your Blazers, J. We're gonna need your rivalry here in a few years.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Man this event sure slowed down rather quickly. I need more news now!

Well there is no team that can move in time for next season, we're officialy just chilling in the bushes like a freaking creeper!

Nawww you can keep your Blazers, J. We're gonna need your rivalry here in a few years.

Yea, after todays moves im' feeling more optimistic about the future, so the offer is off the table! Now that McMillan is free though it would be pretty awesome if Seattle was able to get a team this offseason and make Mr. Sonic the first coach of the new sonics.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Jimmy Smith ‏ @JimmySmithtp Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will announce agreement of lease extension with #Hornets through 2024 this P.M. Details to come.

And there's that.

Uh...Milwaukee then?

Pretty weird to think about how badly our city got screwed and cities with half empty arenas get the red carpet treatment.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 am
  • Milwaukee, memphis, charlotte still possibilities
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am
  • if they move Memphis it will be back to Vancouver. stern is embarrassed with how things left there and its a dark spot on his legacy. the canadian economy has righted itself in regards to the position it was in during the grizzlies stay there and would work in today's NBA. Vancouver has a ton of money and a lot of people love basketball up there. every season Toronto plays a bunch of preseason there and its nuts. Steve Nash has brought a lot of exposure to the province as well with his success. players might not be so horny to play up there but it has its advantages as well. this is just my opinion though, so its not really worth much ha ha

Milwaukee and Charlotte should be your number 1a/1b priorities. Jordan is a cheapskate so he is the wild-card in all of this. if herb kohl passes away (born 1935) in the near future maybe his family does the Ralph Wilson thing and sells it, allowing relocation. who knows eh?
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm
  • The Blazers are pretty locked in to their lease. Besides, no thanks!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Jimmy Smith ‏ @JimmySmithtp Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will announce agreement of lease extension with #Hornets through 2024 this P.M. Details to come.

And there's that.

Uh...Milwaukee then?

Pretty weird to think about how badly our city got screwed and cities with half empty arenas get the red carpet treatment.

Wow...really? New Orleans can only support one team and we all know that thats the Saints..
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• GET A HOLD OF CHRIS HANSEN SOMEHOW! TODAY!!!!

“It’s in the initial stages. We’ve handled this just like we’ve handled several other dozen requests. My situation in Memphis has not changed a lick. My preference will always be for somebody in Memphis to buy the team. There’s not any interest in Memphis. But we’ve always made it known that if somebody wants to buy the team, we’ll listen. If they’re real buyers we’ll probably be sellers. So far there hasn’t been anyone willing to buy the team under my terms and for my price.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -too-well/

that vancouver comment i made the other day might just be full of ish :)

zbo, gasol, conley, mayo, gay they have a good team :th2thumbs:
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• soohawk wrote:GET A HOLD OF CHRIS HANSEN SOMEHOW! TODAY!!!!

“It’s in the initial stages. We’ve handled this just like we’ve handled several other dozen requests. My situation in Memphis has not changed a lick. My preference will always be for somebody in Memphis to buy the team. There’s not any interest in Memphis. But we’ve always made it known that if somebody wants to buy the team, we’ll listen. If they’re real buyers we’ll probably be sellers. So far there hasn’t been anyone willing to buy the team under my terms and for my price.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -too-well/

that vancouver comment i made the other day might just be full of ish :)

zbo, gasol, conley, mayo, gay they have a good team :th2thumbs:

Paging Chris Hansen, paging Mr. Chris Hansen, you have a situation to take advantage of on line 1.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Haha I got an early jump on being a fan too, let's goooooo
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Its crazy thinking maybe but for some reason I think sooner than later I think we'll get this done in seattle. The vide I get from Hansen is he knows somethings up but wants to keep it hushed up.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Its crazy thinking maybe but for some reason I think sooner than later I think we'll get this done in seattle. The vide I get from Hansen is he knows somethings up but wants to keep it hushed up.

Mn I hope thats the case because I had the feeling early on in this process, but when things started to slow down so did me thinking that he did have something on the back burner.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Are there any updates? It's been about a month and a half since the mayor announced the Chris Hansen proposal.

And the Stadium Advisory Board was looking it over, to give their results to the city.

But haven't heard a peep since. Anyone heard anything?

Mayor McGinn and Executive Constantine have directed the Arena Advisory Panel they appointed to review the financing and other details of the proposal to ensure that the proposal is in the best interest of the public. The Panel is asked to submit its findings and report to the County Executive and Mayor in March. The Panel will be comprised of the following members:

• Jan Drago, co-chair – former Seattle and King County Councilmember
    • Maud Daudon, co-chair – CEO and President of Seattle Northwest Securities Corporation; former Seattle deputy mayor and chief of staff
    • Lenny Wilkens, co-chair – NBA Hall of Famer and former SuperSonics coach
    • David Freiboth – executive secretary of the ML King County Labor Council.
    • Doris Koo – former president and CEO of Enterprise Community Partners
    • Karen Lee – CEO of Pioneer Human Services
    • Estela Ortega – executive director of El Centro de la Raza
    • Greg Smith – founder and CEO of Urban Visions
    • Anthony R. Miles – partner in the Seattle law office of Stoel Rives LLP
    • Dr. Jill Wakefield – Chancellor of Seattle Community Colleges

What do we have, 2 days left? :34853_doh:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Looks like there is a new proposal out there as well,

http://www.emikeflynn.com/blog/156/flyn ... arena-con/

Torrance is unveiling his idea as an advisory panel prepares to deliver a report to Seattle City Council and King County Council on a plan by Chris Hansen

Torrance, a senior vice president for CBRE, the commercial real estate giant, has guided creation of a plan that would turn 88 acres of Port of Seattle’s Terminal 46 into a convention center and an arena, with provisions for a new cruiseship terminal and waterfront park.

He’s already had early discussions with city and county officials and port representatives and hopes to make contact with Hansen as well to outline the plan and seek to gather support.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I seriously have for the last 3 months put half of my checks away for season tickets.

PLEASE COME HERE. I NEED NBA.
    hawky
    NET Veteran

• Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
    The Arena Panel meeting will be at the Bertha Landes room at #Seattle City Hall, and is open to the public.

Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
    I am told the Arena panel will also make a recommendation at that time, to the Seattle and King County Councils.

Chris Daniels ‏ @ChrisDaniels5
    Seattle's Arena Panel has scheduled a 5pm meeting on Wednesday, April 4th. They will officially release report on Hansen proposal then.

Well there you go, we'll see on the 4th
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I could care less about an NBA team as I am a lifelong Trailblazer fan, but an NHL team would be awesome. Maybe then I could stop following the Avalanche.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• All signs are the panels going to have a really good report.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:All signs are the panels going to have a really good report.

Good now lets get some teams in here!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Looks like Michael Jordan's done with the Bobcats

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/ ... s/10453750

The city of Charlotte won't support 'em. Even if they suck. They're the worst team in the league, if they got the first overall pick, you're looking at Anthony Davis and his unibrow, plus they have Kemba Walker. I'll take 'em though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Looks like Michael Jordan's done with the Bobcats

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/ ... s/10453750

The city of Charlotte won't support 'em. Even if they suck. They're the worst team in the league, if they got the first overall pick, you're looking at Anthony Davis and his unibrow, plus they have Kemba Walker. I'll take 'em though.

Very interesting....
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am
  • Howard Lincoln is a schmuck, he can't figure out how to make the M's successful, how the hell does he know about another team and franchise and what can make them successful.

Mariners just want a pay off and to have things fixed for them and Safeco transportation wise. The roads and structure there has needed to be upgraded for years. They are more worried about losing ticket sales to the Sonics over if the plan is feasable or not.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Blitzer88 wrote:http://www.king5.com/sports/Mariners-dead-set-against-location-of-proposed-SODO-arena-146027195.html

Well....the Mariners are trying to rain on our NBA/NHL parade.

I don't get it...

YOU. ARE. THE. MARINERS!

Its disgusting to me personally that they get any say on the matter, you can't even put a compelling product on the field, and you're gonna throw your hat in this? Screw you Mariners, Its a shame we built you that palace cuz you guys damn well dont deserve it. I'm sure all the things they brought up in that letter have already been in consideration well before they opened their mouths.

I believe it comes down to attendance. Basketball is a much more exciting sport to watch, and the Mariners are probably the 2nd worst franchise in baseball and one of the worst in all of sports. Attendance has been dwindling at Safeco over the years as the teams been stuck in crap mode for the past 11 years. That tends to happen, atleast I think it would.. They don't wanna lose anymore. But hey, if you make the team good, they'll come back, but they just wanna sit there and make money, who cares about winning? only fans care about winning.

I really cannot stand this franchise anymore, I used to love them. Griffey was that dude, Ichiro, Felix, Jay Buehner, Dan Wilson all bad ass players, I'm sure Ackley's going to be mentioned with the Mariner greats as well. But this franchise is an embarassment to this Seattle Sports fan.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• This is another reason to never ever support the Mariners again. IF they screw up this deal I will never spend another dime on them nor will I root for them. They will be the enemy!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information