Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a nice, clean new thread on this subject seeing as how it's been splashed all over the news the past few days. Listening to Paul Silvi on King5 News in Seattle tonight, he doesn't think the Kings are gonna come to Seattle, so I'm thinkin' the Hornets are the target? This stuff has an expiration date as well. From what I understand, a solid arena plan needs to be in place NEXT MONTH (March) for any of this stuff to go through, so we'll know soon what's going to happen. Here's a lengthy article from the Seattle Times today.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na05m.html

It's getting very interesting and exciting! Can't wait to see how this turns out. It BETTER not turn out badly after all this hype!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3t5iiakb said:
It's getting very interesting and exciting! Can't wait to see how this turns out. It BETTER not turn out badly after all this hype!

See that last part is what I'm worried about, getting my hopes up just to have them crushed later on. Please, please please all our dreams come true by the Sonics coming back!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Crap. we need to not let this go by us! This is the closest we"ve been since the Sonics bounced.

Throwdown

Reaction score
BlueThunder":38zmp4kg said:
Thought I'd start a nice, clean new thread on this subject seeing as how it's been splashed all over the news the past few days. Listening to Paul Silvi on King5 News in Seattle tonight, he doesn't think the Kings are gonna come to Seattle, so I'm thinkin' the Hornets are the target? This stuff has an expiration date as well. From what I understand, a solid arena plan needs to be in place NEXT MONTH (March) for any of this stuff to go through, so we'll know soon what's going to happen. Here's a lengthy article from the Seattle Times today.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na05m.html

the March deadline is the deadline the NBA has set for Sacramento. Seattle has no deadline seeing as we have no team trying to come here or trying to stay here. We're just sharks in the water right now swimming around Sacramento, the other sharks though are Louisville, Kansas City and Anaheim.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
You know its funny they pull the team out of here. And now they have lost the revenue the sonics brought. And with the league losing money. Its funny these talks have started. But i am glad they are and am hoping it leads to the sonics reborn.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The league was losing money welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll before the Sonics bounced on us. It was the arena point blank, KeyArena was simply outdated and couldn't provide the revenue for the team to function at competitive level moneywise and on the court. The city officials sold the team out and failed the fans in every way imaginable. Yeah Bennett wasn't honestly trying to get an arena done here. what was it a 3 billion dollar proposal? and NO money from the fat boy himself? He wasn't serious at all, he was a joke here in Seattle. Howard Shultz is the ultimate chump, didn't get his way and made everyone pay for it. It was really in the leagues best interest to leave if there was no plausible arena solution in sight (which there wasn't). I don't think the league ever wanted to leave, but the situation in Seattle was unworkable at that time.

I hate Stern and think his comments after the fact were like salt in the wound. I wish nothing but horrible things on Bennett and Hope Coward Shultz gets attacked by a pack of wild munchkins. But I ultimately blame Seattle City Council. The comments made by Nick Lacatta that could've been taken as racist. Frank Chopp for sitting on his hands. It was a collabrative effort from all parties that had a hand in aside from the Players, coaches and fans that killed the Sonics and birthed the Thunder.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I really believe that we have a much better shot at getting the Hornets than the Kings, because doing some research, I found that the Kings are actually pretty close to getting a new arena deal in place. And we know how difficult at times the city New Orleans has had in being able to support teams other than the Saints.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
One part that struck me was that the Kings were almost moved to Anaheim, and are still in the running for the team. Anaheim?? So, L.A. would have 3 teams??? Really? With the Lakers there, as well as their red-headed stepchild Clippers (edited), who the hell would watch the Kings in L.A.? Plain stupid if you ask me, when the 13th largest market is right up I-5 in Seatown, with a built-in, starved fanbase. What's wrong with the idiot(s) running the NBA?

A few new articles:

I love the first article from Steve Kelley, Seattle Times.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ey05x.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... ena08.html

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports ... -a-big-if/

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/06/424183 ... tball.html

Throwdown

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1m2fo172 said:
One part that struck me was that the Kings were almost moved to Anaheim, and are still in the running for the team. Anaheim?? So, L.A. would have 3 teams??? Really? With the Lakers there, as well as their red-headed stepchild Warriors, who the hell would watch the Kings in L.A.? Plain stupid if you ask me, when the 13th largest market is right up I-5 in Seatown, with a built-in, starved fanbase. What's wrong with the idiot(s) running the NBA?

You mean the clippers? lol

I think the Hornets are actually a longer shot, some rumors are Tom Benson (owner of the Saints and the dude who pretty much owns everything that is the Nola Sports Scene) is interested in the Hornets. Stern described the Sacramento situation as fluid, so to me that means nothing really concrete has happend. We got 3 weeks though!

And the Lakers and Clippers do not want the Kings in their territory at all, and I have no idea why the NBA would want them there as well, talk about saturating the market.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Throwdown":3q3u43ii said:
BlueThunder":3q3u43ii said:
You mean the clippers? lol

lol yeah. I haven't paid any attention at all to the NBA since the Sonics left, so for some reason I was thinking Golden State Warriors. Hmmm :229031_confused2: :34853_doh: :lol: I edited my post to avoid confusion.

Throwdown

Reaction score
haha naw i'm sure the warriors would love to get rid of the Kings, it'd expand their market into all of NoCal.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
And I just saw a sports report by Paul Silvi, King5 Seattle, saying the Hornets aren't going anywhere. So I think the Kings, at least for the time being, are our only option. Sounds pretty iffy to me. Maybe if we can secure the NHL team and build an NBA worthy arena, then we'll be poised to jump on the next troubled NBA franchise if the Kings deal falls through. I still am holding out hope that the voters in Sacramento will vote down a new arena proposal. Things are pretty rough right now in California for taxpayers. The whole thing sounds eerily familiar to our own Sonics debacle.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man the more I am hearing about this I no longer feel as confident as I once did a couple days ago. I mean I really doubt that the Kings will get moved outside of Cali, and as BlueThunder said the Hornets now seem to be tied to New Orleans for the time being so what other chances do we have of getting a team if the two best options don't work out?

soohawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88: the other day throwdown mentioned that the bucks were having some difficulties in Wisconsin these days because the Bradley Center is very outdated. I was thinking something along the lines of the Bobcats as a wild card. North Carolina is a basketball hotbed but the team has been terrible since the Hornets left for New Orleans. Micheal Jordan is only interested in making money, the fact that they gut the team every 3 seasons to get back to a nice profit margin while casting away the best players on their team screams to me that they need new ownership/leadership.

This is a long shot, but as they are the last expansion team to join the league and have done rather poorly since their inception, it is possible that the axe may drop on them in the long run. Jordan is a business man and Seattle's market is a lot bigger and under served in comparison to the current set up in North Carolina (where they care a lot more about NCAA basketball than the NBA).

This will have no legs but if the league had any interest in doing the right thing (yeah i know that is a subjective term inherently differentiated by anyone attempting to classify the situation) it would cut some of the fat from the east coast and send it up to the PNW.

Damn i miss the Sonics

drdiags

Reaction score
Just saw this opinion posted by Brock and Salk, where Brock talks about the possibility of a new arena deal happening. (Not very enthusiastic that it will happen)

http://mynorthwest.com/422/624296/Source-New-arena-is-less-likely-than-suggested

However, in talking to a very respected source let's be very clear about some of the issues at hand and why both Kevin Calabro (as connected as anyone in NBA circles) and Mayor McGinn have been on the record stating the "planets need to align to make this happen."

First and foremost, according to my source, the possibility of the NBA returning back to Seattle is connected completely to Sacramento. There should be no false aspirations about Milwaukee or Memphis or New Orleans, the relocation plot is centered completely around the Sacramento Kings and their deadline looming March 1st for a new arena proposal.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Now this has me thinking that if the kings don't happen it's probably going to never happen. Just my opinion though. NBA seems committed to New Orleans. Milwaukees probably going full bore, it could be years. I just don't see that happening, and if they're having arena proposals based off just one team? c'mon man thats stupid, weak, horrible and is a horrible thing to do to the Sonics fans who are hanging on every thing with hope in their hearts. Seattle will never publicly fund an arena, and it seems that local wealth won't do anything without some type of funding.

Sucks to say but if it doesnt happen now? my depressive side thinks it'll never happen.

And no, that means no NHL either. IMO no one in their right mind is going to build an arena with the sole purpose to use it for hockey.

Seattle needs to get it together, man. I'm really getting tired of it all. I'm tired of looking for news everyday and hoping some city pulls the same mistake Seattle did when they let the Sonics go and we end up with the spoils of their loss. I'm SICK of being teased with all this crap. If it doesn't happen now? I'd seriously think about giving up being excited like a kid on xmas morning who's waking up his parents at the first sign of sunlight. I'm going to be demoralized, you see Kendrick Perkins face when Blake Griffin punched on him? yeah thats going to be that kind of demoralization.

hawky

Reaction score
My idea for the color scheme. GO SEATTLE CAAAYYOOOTTTES

Attachments

• Coyotes.jpg
    Coyotes.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 13,002

pinksheets

Reaction score
Well if the whole thing is hinged on us getting the Kings, consider me no longer interested. We're not getting that team, and I, like many, are tired of this roller coaster.

At least this means we won't see Stern in town at some announcement or 'opening' event with that sh*teating grin on his face.

Latest posts