Womens World Cup

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Womens World Cup
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 am
  • US got a pretty good game from Spain. They look to be champs but they are staring straight at France now.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Womens World Cup
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm
  • At least the usa women are competitive, the men?...laughable.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:07 pm
  • Hopefully they don't make any more mental errors like the one that netted Spain its goal.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:At least the usa women are competitive, the men?...laughable.

You needed another thread to continue this conversation you're woefully ignorant about?

Stay on topic and stop trolling.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm
  • Threedee wrote:Hopefully they don't make any more mental errors like the one that netted Spain its goal.

They were mediocre against Spain and got some help from the officials.

Will need to be much better the rest of the way
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Threedee wrote:Hopefully they don't make any more mental errors like the one that netted Spain its goal.

Pretty much my reaction. That ticky-tack call which gave s the second goal prevented us from having to salvage the match in ET. Also, you can't concede boneheaded goals against the likes of France, England, and Doucheland.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:12 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:At least the usa women are competitive, the men?...laughable.

You needed another thread to continue this conversation you're woefully ignorant about?

Speaking of ignorant: where is your USA WOMENS thread?

Dang dude why so harsh? Butt Hurt much?...... UMMMM it's MY topic and I'm on it. Do you think you can actually add anything other than insults?

Nobody else started a WOMENS soccer thread. So I did. Deal with it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:01 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Dang dude why so harsh? Butt Hurt much?...... UMMMM it's MY topic and I'm on it. Do you think you can actually add anything other than insults?

He hijacked you...……………...
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Butt hurt about what? You immediately brought up the men's team with the same ignorance you were spouting in that thread. And I did offer something. And called you out for trolling.

Figure it out.

Also.. why would it be ignorant of me to not start a USA women's thread? Do you know what the word means?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:35 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Back in 2011-2012, I was on the "I want to sleep with Hope Solo" wagon. Unfortunately, times change, and no one likes her anymore. Otherwise, I could have easily started a women's thread.

She is also a perfect topic for this site, because, she is married to noted douchebag Jerramy Stevens.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Threedee wrote:Hopefully they don't make any more mental errors like the one that netted Spain its goal.

Pretty much my reaction. That ticky-tack call which gave s the second goal prevented us from having to salvage the match in ET. Also, you can't concede boneheaded goals against the likes of France, England, and Doucheland.

They looked devoid of ideas and thought they could muscle through. No pace up top slowed down transitions and opportunities to break lines as well.

Found it a strange line up for the tactics deployed (playing from the back and then trying to play behind)

France will shut them down if they come out that way
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:45 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:They looked devoid of ideas and thought they could muscle through. No pace up top slowed down transitions and opportunities to break lines as well.

Found it a strange line up for the tactics deployed (playing from the back and then trying to play behind)

I would definitely say that a lineup which doesn't include Carly Lloyd as a starter is not one they intend to use going forward.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:They looked devoid of ideas and thought they could muscle through. No pace up top slowed down transitions and opportunities to break lines as well.

I would definitely say that a lineup which doesn't include Carly Lloyd as a starter is not one they intend to use going forward.

She's sort of a super sub at the moment, but needs to start against France. The bigger issue is Morgan and her injury.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 am
  • Threedee wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

You guys thought that was a ticky tack call? The Spanish player raked the outside of Lavelle's knee with her studs out. That's a foul. The ref had a very good view of it and made the right call.

If that exact same thing happens anywhere else on the pitch you would expect that to be called, wouldn't you? If it's a foul anywhere else why shouldn't it be called when it happens in the 18 yard box?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    Threedee wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

You guys thought that was a ticky tack call? The Spanish player raked the outside of Lavelle's knee with her studs out. That's a foul. The ref had a very good view of it and made the right call.

If that exact same thing happens anywhere else on the pitch you would expect that to be called, wouldn't you? If it's a foul anywhere else why shouldn't it be called when it happens in the 18 yard box?

I didn't say ticky tack.

I didn't see it as "raked" by any means. Felt soft.. and very fortunate.

Not saying it's a bad call, just a fortunate one. Seen refs smirk at those reactions far more often than blowing the whistle
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Threedee wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I didn't say ticky tack.

Not saying it's a bad call, just a fortunate one. Seen refs smirk at those reactions far more often than blowing the whistle

Fair enough. You didn't say ticky tack, Threedee did. What you said was that they got some help from the officials, which to me seems like you are implying that they benefitted from some bad (or ticky tack) calls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:18 am

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Threedee wrote:

I didn't say ticky tack.

Fair enough. You didn't say ticky tack, Threedee did. What you said was that they got some help from the officials, which to me seems like you are implying that they benefitted from some bad (or ticky tack) calls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought it was a soft call, as I explained.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 pm
  • Would I be ignorant for saying that in spite of the questionable call before the 2nd goal that the US team was being matched?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Would I be ignorant for saying that in spite of the questionable call before the 2nd goal that the US team was being matched?

You wouldn't be wrong. Spain was,playing the better game, although it was hard to think either team was going to score
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm
  • But I'm so ignorant. I don't get it. Doesn't the winning team score more ?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:But I'm so ignorant. I don't get it. Doesn't the winning team score more ?

Oh.. so you just wanted to post more nonsense.

Sounds about right.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:But I'm so ignorant. I don't get it. Doesn't the winning team score more ?

Oh.. so you just wanted to post more nonsense.

Sounds about right.

Ready to pounce Mr. Soccer?...You are an enigma, or an enema. The latter seems appropriate, since you think it's ok to attack me and can get away with it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:54 pm
  • You offer nothing in support of the thread except INSULTS....
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:You offer nothing in support of the thread except INSULTS....

I actually offered all sorts of opinions on the women's team in this and the other thread.

You're having a mare
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:08 pm
  • OK...hahahha....whatever. Go USA.....Even though I'm ignorant, and evidently birthing a female horse, I love my country.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:OK...hahahha....whatever. Go USA.....Even though I'm ignorant, and evidently birthing a female horse, I love my country.

That must be both joyful and painful.

I salute you in a non-political way
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:35 pm
  • Nothing matters when we all die.......Image
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:38 pm
  • By the way, it was a girl....I guess a mare.....which is what soccer boy wanted. Maybe she will be on the USA equestrian team. since I guess I'm a horse (according to my wife).

GO USA Women !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm
  • Soccer Man...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm
  • Big win for the ladies today.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:40 pm
  • How awesome is it that we get to play both France and England in route to playing for the championship? I hope it's the Netherlands, since we already played Sweden in the group stage.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm
  • On to the final for the USA!

I thought the offsides to call England's second goal back was pretty iffy. I don't know if I missed a replay but the one shot they showed, man it was like a hand that was offsides? Pretty weak. The VAR penalty call was more of the same, but I understand it being called. However, speaking to the ref, if you're going to give that you have to give a red card not a yellow. Last defender and an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Glad the keeper made a big save.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Nothing matters when we all die.......Image

I have been thoroughly enjoying this one.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:On to the final for the USA!

I thought the offsides to call England's second goal back was pretty iffy. I don't know if I missed a replay but the one shot they showed, man it was like a hand that was offsides? Pretty weak. The VAR penalty call was more of the same, but I understand it being called. However, speaking to the ref, if you're going to give that you have to give a red card not a yellow. Last defender and an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Glad the keeper made a big save.

Last defender red cards are if that last defender purposefully fouls the opponent. Think you can argue the defender was trying for the ball.

Definitely a pen though.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 am
  • Now that's how you finish! USA!!!
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:17 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:Now that's how you finish! USA!!!

:salute:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 pm
  • Some damn good futbol!

:229031_thewave: :bow:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:28 am
  • The most impressive part of watching our women's team play is they literally had no weak link at any time on the pitch at any time of the tournament.

While some of the matches were competitive throughout the tournament, the other teams had 3-4 good to great players but glaring holes at the other positions.

In soccer, this is really what separates the good from the great, elite front line starters and depth..........and this US team had it in spades all over their roster. Impressive.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Women's soccer is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it. Which is why they (correctly) don't get paid as much as men.

I know you're a troll, but the women's World Cup matches have had higher ratings than the men's for a while now, and the final yesterday had higher ratings than the men's final two years ago.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... gs-1222814

And if you're referring to soccer ratings in general for MLS and EPL matches broadcast in the US, there's nothing to brag about there either, it's bad all the way around.

But I know, you're just here to troll until you get blacklisted again. God speed.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Women's soccer is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it. Which is why they (correctly) don't get paid as much as men.

I know you're a troll, but the women's World Cup matches have had higher ratings than the men's for a while now, and the final yesterday had higher ratings than the men's final two years ago.

And if you're referring to soccer ratings in general for MLS and EPL matches broadcast in the US, there's nothing to brag about there either, it's bad all the way around.

But I know, you're just here to troll until you get blacklisted again. God speed.

EPL ratings are through the roof..

And while the message is abrasive, there is a certain level of truth.

If yesterday was the mens final the nation would've been at a stop for the match
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Women's soccer is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it. Which is why they (correctly) don't get paid as much as men.

If yesterday was the mens final the nation would've been at a stop for the match

What's abrasive is calling women's soccer objectively awful to watch. It tells me peaches 1. hasn't watched the US women play and 2. knows nothing about the sport.

I understand the revenue disparity. The men's world cup earned something like 8 billion over it's four year cycle, the women's world cup earned 115 million.

Doesn't mean the US women's team shouldn't earn as much as the men's, as THAT is chopped up by TV ad revenue, as I pointed out the women get higher ratings then the men.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

What's abrasive is calling women's soccer objectively awful to watch. It tells me peaches 1. hasn't watched the US women play and 2. knows nothing about the sport.

I understand the revenue disparity. The men's world cup earned something like 8 billion over it's four year cycle, the women's world cup earned 115 million.

Doesn't mean the US women's team shouldn't earn as much as the men's, as THAT is chopped up by TV ad revenue, as I pointed out the women get higher ratings then the men.

I agree they should make as much, but if the Men were equally successful there would be no conversation here.

That is because many people don't find the women's game as entertaining.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:OKC Thunder basketball is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it.

FIFY

Now it's actually a true statement.

You're welcome.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

For the Super Bowl yes, for a Soccer game that wasn't an Olympic event no. The Nation doesn't stop for the NBA finals, or the World Series which used to lock up the Network it was on and bring in huge ratings.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:04 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

For the Super Bowl yes, for a Soccer game that wasn't an Olympic event no. The Nation doesn't stop for the NBA finals, or the World Series which used to lock up the Network it was on and bring in huge ratings.

Fair enough... the soccer world in this nation would stop and the ratings would rival the super bowl. The world cup final ratings in this country already do and that's with the us team long out of it.

I don't think people appreciate how many soccer fans there are here because they associate too closely with the mls
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Fair enough... the soccer world in this nation would stop and the ratings would rival the super bowl. The world cup final ratings in this country already do and that's with the us team long out of it.

I don't think people appreciate how many soccer fans there are here because they associate too closely with the mls

I think it has a lot to do with split allegiance and the interest due to that. Example being a World Series with the Red Sox and Yankees versus one with the Nationals and Rangers on a smaller scale and not world wide. The melting pot here for interest in teams outside the US is huge and not as much internal. Casual Fans tune in to high profile World Series and NBA Championships such as Lakers Celtics as an example. The casual person doesn't understand the game of Soccer as much and the teams as well how they are assembled etc.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I agree they should make as much, but if the Men were equally successful there would be no conversation here.

IMO we need to stop comparing men's and women's sports, it's a little misogynistic. Why do we do that? Why can't we just enjoy each sport on it's own merits and levels of skill and excitement.

Do you guys go to AAA baseball games or junior league hockey and yell "MAN THESE KIDS SUCK, THEY'RE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROS, THIS IS UNWATCHABLE!!"

No, you enjoy the talent level for what it is.............an enjoyable sporting event with plenty of skill, competition and effort by the athletes taking part.

And anyone watching our women's national team play soccer cannot possibly tell me they don't perform at an extremely high skill level. For their sport, the highest skill level in the history.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:16 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

IMO we need to stop comparing men's and women's sports, it's a little misogynistic. Why do we do that? Why can't we just enjoy each sport on it's own merits and levels of skill and excitement.

Do you guys go to AAA baseball games or junior league hockey and yell "MAN THESE KIDS SUCK, THEY'RE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROS, THIS IS UNWATCHABLE!!"

No, you enjoy the talent level for what it is.............and enjoyable sporting event with plenty of skill, competition and effort by the athletes taking part.

And anyone watching our women's national team play soccer cannot possibly tell me they don't perform at an extremely high skill level. For their sport, the highest skill level in the history.

I watched the games and outside of a few frustrating moments where it felt stagnant, I was impressed and entertained.

However, while you and I agree on this, to peaches point the rest of the soccer viewing population is still tepid to it
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Right, for women.

You put them up against a men's team and they'd get hammered 25-0.

Nobody is arguing that because it's not the point
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information