About damn time.

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
About damn time.
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Re: About damn time.
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:30 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Edgar Martinez appears on track to be voted into the Baseball HoF. Through 217 turned in ballots, he's tracking with 90.8% of the vote. This is his final year of eligibility on the ballot.

https://komonews.com/sports/mariners/edgar-martinez-2-others-appear-headed-for-hall-of-fame

Yep way overdue. One of the best right handed hitters in his era.
    Had the pleasure of accidently meeting him and his Family at a former place of employment over 10 years ago after he had retired.
    He and his family couldn’t have been nicer, and he is a genuinely humble man. He was about my height but he was still built like a brick shithouse. Still looked like he could hit at that point.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 am
  • Way overdue. Let's hope the voting trend continues. :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:20 pm
  • MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm
  • About damn time. Best right handed hitter I've ever seen
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:23 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senor Double!

A day of celebration for Edgar, his family, the Mariners, and US!

Congrats Edgar, you more than earned this honor!!!! :D
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:24 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:About damn time. Best right handed hitter I've ever seen

Me too!

Had to go find the audio of Dave’s call of “the double”...... goosebumps!
    Edgar flatout annihilated yankee pitching in that series!
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Congratulations Edgar
    Booking my trip now
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:41 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senor Double!

A day of celebration for Edgar, his family, the Mariners, and US!

Congrats Edgar, you more than earned this honor!!!! :D

Yes!
    loved the guy..He was clutch as they come..
    Our 2nd HOF ...Can't wait to hear his speech
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:43 pm
  • I find it fitting that he's elected with Rivera. He hit .889 against Rivera.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 pm
  • 60 or so of those old farts didn't think he deserved to be in.

Old man's club
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:60 or so of those old farts didn't think he deserved to be in.

Old man's club

They should have their votes taken away, seriously.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 pm
  • That's awesome.

I'm super happy for Edgar and his family.

He absolutely earned it and it would have been a travesty if he was left out.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:26 pm
  • Is Edgar the first player inducted primarily as a DH? He should be.

:irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:60 or so of those old farts didn't think he deserved to be in.

Old man's club

No they represented the national League I am sure. :P
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm
  • sutz wrote:Is Edgar the first player inducted primarily as a DH? He should be.

I think Frank Thomas did quite a bit of DH’ing, though Edgar did it for a longer period.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Is Edgar the first player inducted primarily as a DH? He should be.

I think Frank Thomas did quite a bit of DH’ing, though Edgar did it for a longer period.

Thomas was more of a position player for the first half of his career, IIRC. Edgar only played 3rd/1st base for a couple of years before he went full time DH, I believe.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Is Edgar the first player inducted primarily as a DH? He should be.

Thomas was more of a position player for the first half of his career, IIRC. Edgar only played 3rd/1st base for a couple of years before he went full time DH, I believe.

Thomas played 1,310 games at DH, 971 at 1B, or 57.4% at DH. I remember when he was inducted, they said he was the first player in the HoF to play most of his career at DH. However, Edgar spent 1,403 games at DH, with 564 at 3B and 28 at 1B, or 70.3% at DH, easily dwarfing anyone else's percentage spent at DH in the HoF. Also, in case you're curious, Harold Baines, who also made the HoF this year, also spent the majority of his career at DH. He played 1,643 games at DH, and 1,042 in the OF, or a total of 61.2% at DH.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:12 pm
  • Way to go Gar!! Finally!

Just under 85% too, pretty damn good. And kind of fitting he and Baines make it in same year. 2 incredible swings right there.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 pm
  • Awesome news.

Seeing his highlights again makes me miss those good Mariner teams, Niehaus, hell.. even the kingdome.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 am
  • Edgar was always my favorite Mariner. Even though, as a lefty, it was cool to have Griffey and Randy to root for, they still never caught my fandom the way that Edgar did. His elevated batting stance was always fun to imitate/exaggerate as a kid (although, I used to see kids run into the wall making a catch when told to "imitate Griffey").
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am
  • With all due respect to our beloved Hawks winning the SB, Edgar's double down the left field line IS the greatest sports moment in Seattle sports history IMO.

For a city beaten down and starving for success for decades, that one hit washed away all the pain and suffering we had endured as sports fans with one swing..........and it was done by one of the nicest, most humble hard working players we could ever root for.

Well deserved honor for Edgar, can't wait for his induction.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:With all due respect to our beloved Hawks winning the SB, Edgar's double down the left field line IS the greatest sports moment in Seattle sports history IMO.

For a city beaten down and starving for success for decades, that one hit washed away all the pain and suffering we had endured as sports fans with one swing..........and it was done by one of the nicest, most humble hard working players we could ever root for.

You forgot the 1979 Sonics..Had to go there..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 pm
  • Congrats, best DH to ever play the game.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:38 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:With all due respect to our beloved Hawks winning the SB, Edgar's double down the left field line IS the greatest sports moment in Seattle sports history IMO.

I'm sure for people over the age of 55-60 the Sonics winning the title might be the greatest moment........but for the rest of us that had to live through the Seattle sports misery of the 80's and early 90's, especially with how terrible the M's were, 1995 was a special time.

I was at the tiebreaker game against the Angels, it's still the singular loudest environment I've ever been in after Luis Sojo's broken bat base clearing single to put the game away and send us into the playoffs. That magic feeling carried all the way through the playoffs, being on pins and needles with every pitch and at bat.........culminating with Edgar's double.

Still gives me shivers just writing about it. I did feel very similar when the Hawk's won the SB, but there was no "one moment" of that game like Edgar's double.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:09 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:With all due respect to our beloved Hawks winning the SB, Edgar's double down the left field line IS the greatest sports moment in Seattle sports history IMO.

I'm sure for people over the age of 55-60 the Sonics winning the title might be the greatest moment........but for the rest of us that had to live through the Seattle sports misery of the 80's and early 90's, especially with how terrible the M's were, 1995 was a special time.

I was at the tiebreaker game against the Angels, it's still the singular loudest environment I've ever been in after Luis Sojo's broken bat base clearing single to put the game away and send us into the playoffs. That magic feeling carried all the way through the playoffs, being on pins and needles with every pitch and at bat.........culminating with Edgar's double.

Still gives me shivers just writing about it. I did feel very similar when the Hawk's won the SB, but there was no "one moment" of that game like Edgar's double.

We did nothing in 95... How is making the playoffs better then winning a title ? That's crazy logic...
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 am
  • If the M's had gone on to and won the Series, Edgar would have been voted in 5 years ago.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:01 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

We did nothing in 95... How is making the playoffs better then winning a title ? That's crazy logic...

Because I'm talking about singular moment, not overall success.........and did nothing? That's crazy, it was the first time in a sad sack perennial loser franchise that we won anything, that also btw kept baseball in Seattle. If not for that crazy come from behind year, winning that tie breaker and beating the Yankees in epic fashion, no way in hell there's any positive momentum to get Safeco built.

We did nothing, Jesus.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:42 pm
  • We used to talk about losing the '83 AFCCG as the "glory years' of Seahawks football. We made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years and won 3 games, never going to the big one. Now we understand what winning REALLY is. The '80s were fun, but the 2010s have been a FRIGGIN' BLAST even with recent disappointments.

So yeah, the Mariners had some fun years, but have really accomplished nothing unless you call "continuing to exist" an accomplishment. Despite some of the great players and teams they've had, the Mariners as a franchise are historically a complete embarrassment.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:01 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

Im 49..50 tommorow lol
    I was 10 yrs old watching all of our teams,,It was the greatest moment till the Hawks won..
    95 was awesome in its own way..I jumped into the ceiling on Edgars hit..
    Safeco is the house that Griffey built(my thought)but yeah 95 secured the M's.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:53 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

Im 49..50 tommorow lol
    I was 10 yrs old watching all of our teams,,It was the greatest moment till the Hawks won..

I'll also be 50 this year, and I do remember watching the Sonics win at a neighbor kid's house. But it didn't resonate as something spectacular. It was fun, but nothing compared to the Hawks or 95 M's.

Also different time, sports was more detached back then. The game was on, and then you had to wait until the paper the next day to even read about it, or stay up until 11 to watch the news. Now it's wall to wall coverage, you can't get away from it.

Definitely plays into the life and death............or "thrill of victory and agony of defeat" part of sports now that IMO is more widely felt.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 pm
  • sutz wrote:If the M's had gone on to and won the Series, Edgar would have been voted in 5 years ago.

Or played for the NYY or Redsox.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:53 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:You forgot the 1979 Sonics..Had to go there..

Im 49..50 tommorow lol

I'll also be 50 this year, and I do remember watching the Sonics win at a neighbor kid's house. But it didn't resonate as something spectacular. It was fun, but nothing compared to the Hawks or 95 M's.

Also different time, sports was more detached back then. The game was on, and then you had to wait until the paper the next day to even read about it, or stay up until 11 to watch the news. Now it's wall to wall coverage, you can't get away from it.

Definitely plays into the life and death............or "thrill of victory and agony of defeat" part of sports now that IMO is more widely felt.

I’m in your age bracket, though I’m very immature for my age :)
    You make some excellent points about the media coverage then and now.

I was at the game where Largent “decleated” Hardin, after living thru that wonderful event, we couldn’t wait to get home and the news to come. Now, it would be on YouTube and ESPN 15 minutes after it happened, accessible by this thing called your cell phone. I couldn’t have imagined this technology would be so widely available back then.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:05 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:If the M's had gone on to and won the Series, Edgar would have been voted in 5 years ago.

Instead, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the first M's HoFer that played his entire career in Seattle. Yes?
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:If the M's had gone on to and won the Series, Edgar would have been voted in 5 years ago.

Instead, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the first M's HoFer that played his entire career in Seattle. Yes?

You are correct.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:38 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:We used to talk about losing the '83 AFCCG as the "glory years' of Seahawks football. We made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years and won 3 games, never going to the big one. Now we understand what winning REALLY is. The '80s were fun, but the 2010s have been a FRIGGIN' BLAST even with recent disappointments.

So yeah, the Mariners had some fun years, but have really accomplished nothing unless you call "continuing to exist" an accomplishment. Despite some of the great players and teams they traded them too where they had long term success they've had, the Mariners as a franchise are historically a complete embarrassment.

There fixed it :)

Remember we were the rest of the leagues AAAA club for decades.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information