Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:31 am
  • We have to games today to decide the division in the NL Central and West. Wild card games are on Tuesday and Wednesday, with ALDS and NLDS starting on Thursday.

    Right now Cubs and Brewers are tied at one. Both starting pitchers are spinning it. Dodgers host Rockies to decide the NL West winner.

    Astros will host the Indians. Boston will host the winner of the Yankees and Oakland game.

    Atlanta will play the NL West winner. Winner of the NL Central will play the winner of the wild card game.

    I really like this Brewers team. Tons of hitting and arguably the best bullpen in baseball. Indians and Astros should be a great series, I think they two teams have the best starting pitching in MLB. Sox and Yanks would be fun to watch.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:04 pm
  • Rooting for the Brewers too or Braves.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    User avatar
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2816
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 pm
  • It will be Rockies going to Wrigley to play the Cubs, winner plays the Brewers. I like Cubs to win, they got Lester taking the mound tomorrow. They need a big game from him as the bullpen was used a lot today.

    Would be pretty cool of Oakland could beat the Yanks but I don't see it happening.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 pm
  • Really exciting NL Wildcard game. Extremely impressive and gutsy win by the Rockies. 3 clutch 2 out hits in the 13th and an awesome bullpen. Great to see for the Rockies. Hopefully Oakland gives NY a good game too.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 am
  • Holy beatdown last night by the Red Sox. 16-1!!

    16 runs, 18 hits, Brock Holt hits for the cycle.

    Doubt the Yankees go down without a fight but man, that's a tough game to come back from.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4454
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:28 am
  • So far games have not really been competitive, hopefully we get two great championship series. Dodgers have the better starting pitching, but Brewers have the better pen. I would like to see Brewers advance, but Dodgers have a huge advantage with their starting rotation. If Brewers can just get 5 solid innings out of their starters they should be fine.

    Astros have a huge advantage with their starting rotation. Game 1 will be important for Boston to take, as Sale is really their only great starter. Price has been known to choke in the postseason, and no way I'd trust Porcello.

    Astros and Brewers World Series would be a lot of fun. Ratings would be huge for Boston and LA though. Lets see where we are in a week or two.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:12 pm
  • My prediction is Houston and Milwaukee in the World Series, with Houston winning easily.

    But the 2-3-2 format really hurts the better seed. Brewers could lose three close games on the road now and be eliminated by the Dodgers. A lot of pressure not to lose one of those first two games for the home team.

    Anyway, Houston will repeat (I think).
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2809
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Astros and Brewers World Series would be a lot of fun. Ratings would be huge for Boston and LA though. Lets see where we are in a week or two.


    Yeah you just know MLB is dying to get Boston and LA in the series to grab those markets...which is why I would enjoy seeing Houston and Milwaukee.

    Astros looked really good last night. These Red Sox remind me a little of the '01 M's with a great lineup, dominant regular season but not enough starting pitching (with the exception of Sale of course). The Brewers have a chance in their series-they have a great top half lineup and a stud pen with decent starting pitching. They'll be in every game this series.

    It'll likely end up being a rematch from last year though. In that case I wouldn't mind seeing the Dodgers win it all since it's been 30 years now for them but I think ultimately Hou is the most talented, most balanced team and they repeat.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 am
  • Yeah last series MLB wants is Milwaukee and Houston. I was reading about how poor MLB playoff ratings have been. They are down almost 30-40% from the 2016 playoffs. MLB is just stupid. They are the only major sport to schedule them on weekdays during the day when everyone is in school or working. Then they put the games on networks nobody knows about. As long as they try to compete against football they will lose. Most prime time NFL games pull between 8-12 million viewers, while most these playoff games are between 1.5-2.5 million viewers. MLB should shorten the season by about 20 games, start a few weeks earlier and they’ll avoid football for the most part. I’m an MLB fan, but yesterday I chose CFB and today I’ll go with NFL. Baseball has a lot of problems reaching an audience, but they aren’t doing a lot to better the game.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am
  • Those ratings numbers are depressing and it's kind of sad people in general just aren't watching the game anymore. I know TBS outbid ESPN for half the playoff coverage a few years ago, but when you see Fox relegating its LCS coverage to FS1, you know there's a problem.

    I've heard about proposals over the years shortening the season by 8 games or more but I don't think the owners would ever go for it. They would balk at the loss of revenue. All those tv packages every team has is what's keeping so many teams profitable, regardless of wins/losses and the loss of a week or more of ad revenue would be perpetually challenged.

    The best way to garner more interest to increase ratings I feel is simply get more kids (and adults even) to play the game. When you're playing the game you want to tune in to a game to analyze swings, pitching mechanics and fully appreciate incredible defensive gems and the freakish abilities every major leaguer has. To gain more interest in people playing is easier said than done of course.

    I just think phones, computers, video games, Netflix, YouTube, FB, virtual reality and whatever else is killing attention spans and public interest in this wonderful sport. People no longer appreciate the subtleties, the game within the game and the mental side--they just want short action filled spurts that football and basketball still offer.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:44 am
  • The internet and video games are not killing interest in other sports though.

    Thats the issue baseball is facing. Kids are playing more sports than ever before. They just arent playing baseball.

    Lacrosse, for example, is getting near the same participation in hs here in Minnesota. It didnt exist 10 years ago. Club soccer and basketball and dry land ho key also have taken kids away from traditional spring sports.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm
  • There are a lot of contributing factors as to why MLB is losing popularity, but they aren't doing anything to help the issue. Like I said, scheduling playoff games in the day on weekdays is really dumb. Find a better network deal than FS1, MLB Network and TBS.

    As for the reasons why, I can probably list a ton. Like you guys mentioned, kids aren't playing it that much anymore. Baseball isn't a sport that is being played in big cities. Baesball is very middle of America, no one is playing baseball in the middle of New York City or Chicago. Also a lot goes into baseball, equipment, field size, amount of people you need to play a game, etc. Much easier to play a game of pick up hoops than a game of pick up baseball.

    MLB just has a branding problem. Mike Trout is the best MLB palyer and the average person probably can't recognize him. Most anyone can recognize Tom Brady or LeBron James. It also doesn't help that most MLB players can't speak English. Ichiro was the best player in the world at one time, in our own city, and I don't think he ever attempted to learn English. I'm not saying that they should, but our country won't gravitate towards them as players when we speak different languages. And to be honest, MLB players are just boring. I don't like David Stern, but he was a branding genius, he made the game about the individual stars and it was great for the NBA.

    I always felt that baseball is only interesting if your local team is doing great. I can watch the Seahawks when they suck, because football is an entertaining sport to watch. Same with the Sonics and the NBA, even if your team sucks, you can still watch your team put the ball into the hoop around 40 times a game. In baseball, you fail more than you succeed. Just think about it, if you are a .300 hitter you are considered a great player, that means that you will still fail 7 out of 10 times. You can go to a baseball game and watch your team only get 4 hits a game, that's awful. You can go watch the best baseball player in person, and there is a good chance you only see him reach base once. Go to an NBA game and you will see the best players score 20 or more points each game.

    I think when people watch a sport, they want to see the stars, and success. The ball is in Tom Brady's hand every offensive snap. In an NBA game, LeBron James will pretty much touch the ball each time down the court. In MLB, you get to see the best player come to the plate as many times as the worst guy come to the plate. Then go back to success, a MLB team will hit about .250. So you will watch them fail 3 out of 4 times on offense. In the NBA you make a basket nearly 50%, that is a 50% success rate. You see a completion far more than an incompeltion in the NFL. I'm not saying baseball is flawed, but I'm not sure how much more they can do to make the game more intriguing.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 pm
  • That Red Sox/Astro’s game was the best of this post season! Unbelievable! And the final out from the Astros couldn’t have happened to a worse troll of a player! Woooooo f Houston
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    User avatar
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1206
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 am
    Location: Redmond Washington


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:There are a lot of contributing factors as to why MLB is losing popularity, but they aren't doing anything to help the issue. Like I said, scheduling playoff games in the day on weekdays is really dumb. Find a better network deal than FS1, MLB Network and TBS.

    As for the reasons why, I can probably list a ton. Like you guys mentioned, kids aren't playing it that much anymore. Baseball isn't a sport that is being played in big cities. Baesball is very middle of America, no one is playing baseball in the middle of New York City or Chicago. Also a lot goes into baseball, equipment, field size, amount of people you need to play a game, etc. Much easier to play a game of pick up hoops than a game of pick up baseball.

    MLB just has a branding problem. Mike Trout is the best MLB palyer and the average person probably can't recognize him. Most anyone can recognize Tom Brady or LeBron James. It also doesn't help that most MLB players can't speak English. Ichiro was the best player in the world at one time, in our own city, and I don't think he ever attempted to learn English. I'm not saying that they should, but our country won't gravitate towards them as players when we speak different languages. And to be honest, MLB players are just boring. I don't like David Stern, but he was a branding genius, he made the game about the individual stars and it was great for the NBA.

    I always felt that baseball is only interesting if your local team is doing great. I can watch the Seahawks when they suck, because football is an entertaining sport to watch. Same with the Sonics and the NBA, even if your team sucks, you can still watch your team put the ball into the hoop around 40 times a game. In baseball, you fail more than you succeed. Just think about it, if you are a .300 hitter you are considered a great player, that means that you will still fail 7 out of 10 times. You can go to a baseball game and watch your team only get 4 hits a game, that's awful. You can go watch the best baseball player in person, and there is a good chance you only see him reach base once. Go to an NBA game and you will see the best players score 20 or more points each game.

    I think when people watch a sport, they want to see the stars, and success. The ball is in Tom Brady's hand every offensive snap. In an NBA game, LeBron James will pretty much touch the ball each time down the court. In MLB, you get to see the best player come to the plate as many times as the worst guy come to the plate. Then go back to success, a MLB team will hit about .250. So you will watch them fail 3 out of 4 times on offense. In the NBA you make a basket nearly 50%, that is a 50% success rate. You see a completion far more than an incompeltion in the NFL. I'm not saying baseball is flawed, but I'm not sure how much more they can do to make the game more intriguing.

    The game is flawed in many ways..I won't bore with details but they are so fragile today it is
    pathetic..As you said many kids do not play that used to back in the day so it opens the door for more
    non english speaking players.As for it being boring I chalk that up to many never playing the game
    because if you played enough then you can appreciate it more easily,
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4051
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 am
  • Seahaaaawks wrote:That Red Sox/Astro’s game was the best of this post season! Unbelievable! And the final out from the Astros couldn’t have happened to a worse troll of a player! Woooooo f Houston


    This whole series has been terrific so far. Game 3 was neck and neck and then JBJ blasted that grand slam basically ending the game there.

    Have a feeling Price will get the ball in game 5 and then Sale in 6 if it goes that far. Not sure how much faith people should have in Price against an Astros team about to be knocked out, given his playoff history.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4454
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:16 am
  • Yeah that was a wild game last night. I couldn’t believe they called that fan interference. When the umpires were debating the call, I thought it was for either a home run or a ground rule double. I get that the fan interfered, but it was clearly over the fence. What do you want him to do when a ball is being hit right at his seat?

    The last catch was awesome, Kimbrell got bailed out. He doesn’t look like his usual self. Series is all but done, Astros s win today but no way are they winning three in a row. Looks like we will get or big market World Series. Would be fun to see Kershaw and Price get matched up in a game, as both are known as playoff chokers.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:52 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah that was a wild game last night. I couldn’t believe they called that fan interference. When the umpires were debating the call, I thought it was for either a home run or a ground rule double. I get that the fan interfered, but it was clearly over the fence. What do you want him to do when a ball is being hit right at his seat?

    The last catch was awesome, Kimbrell got bailed out. He doesn’t look like his usual self. Series is all but done, Astros s win today but no way are they winning three in a row. Looks like we will get or big market World Series. Would be fun to see Kershaw and Price get matched up in a game, as both are known as playoff chokers.


    Yeah Kimbrel has given up runs in every outing I think. Wonder if they should move him to an earlier spot and let Brasier close. He's been lights out while Kimbrel has been letting teams hang around throughout the playoffs. His control is awful and walking way too many batters which you can't do against playoff teams, less stressful innings might help him settle down.

    Can see Price get rocked in game 5 and have the series head back to Boston for Sale to clinch however Sox lineup is mashing and can overcome poor starting pitching.

    Hoping Brewers can make a comeback but will be tough.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4454
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:33 pm
  • Welp, Kimbrel time. 4-1, can he close it?
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4454
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:37 pm
  • With this kind of a lead he should. Low pressure situation. Astros just imploded in this series after splitting in Boston.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Is there a more visible exhibit for how badly the Mariners organization is run than Chris Taylor?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    User avatar
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1800
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:09 pm
  • Essentially must win for the Dodgers Fri. Hopefully they can at least win 2 out of 3 in LA to keep the series interesting.

    I remember the '96 Series when Atlanta jumped out to a 2-0 lead and the damn Yankees then won 4 in a row and it all started with them gaining a little momentum and building on it. I don't see that happening here but still rooting for the Dodgers. Bueller going against Porcello Fri and Rich Hill vs. Eovaldi likely Sat. Kershaw slated for Sun if we get there.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 am
  • Unbelievable game last night. I caught the last...9 innings! 18 hard fought tough innings. Lot of resilience by the Dodgers and they have a chance to make this a very interesting series. Hill expected tonight for LA and either Rodriguez or Sale for Bos.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:40 am
  • West TX Hawk wrote:Unbelievable game last night. I caught the last...9 innings! 18 hard fought tough innings. Lot of resilience by the Dodgers and they have a chance to make this a very interesting series. Hill expected tonight for LA and either Rodriguez or Sale for Bos.


    One of the best WS games I can remember. Go Sox!
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2669
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:35 pm
  • Yeah one of the best WS games last night. It depends what you consider best. Technically it was some terrible baseball, neither team could hit. Both runs that scored were from lead off walks, and both scored on throwing errors. I think there were 34 strikeouts in that game. But it was definitely an exciting game. I just hate this new age baseball where there are really only three common results: walk, HR, and strikeout. The ball just isn’t being put in play often.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:39 pm
  • Why in the world did Roberts take Hill out so damn early?? 6 1/3, only 1 hit, just 91 pitches and a 4 run lead. He was just cruising out there and instead Roberts elects to put in a series of tired relievers. He could've used Hill through 8 and have Jansen close, give up a homer still and they're fine. Classic and costly over-managing.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:19 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:Why in the world did Roberts take Hill out so damn early?? 6 1/3, only 1 hit, just 91 pitches and a 4 run lead. He was just cruising out there and instead Roberts elects to put in a series of tired relievers. He could've used Hill through 8 and have Jansen close, give up a homer still and they're fine. Classic and costly over-managing.


    Roberts is awful,, all he does is out manage himself. No idea why he would take Hill out so early especially with how taxes the bullpen was from last night.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:Why in the world did Roberts take Hill out so damn early?? 6 1/3, only 1 hit, just 91 pitches and a 4 run lead. He was just cruising out there and instead Roberts elects to put in a series of tired relievers. He could've used Hill through 8 and have Jansen close, give up a homer still and they're fine. Classic and costly over-managing.


    Roberts is awful,, all he does is out manage himself. No idea why he would take Hill out so early especially with how taxes the bullpen was from last night.


    Now they're going to face sale and a fresher bullpen from the Sox tomorrow. Do Damage! Go Sox
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2669
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:17 pm
  • Congrats
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: MLB Playoffs Thread & Extra Games
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Well that's the season. Kudos to Boston on another title. Their lineup was incredible with stellar starting pitching and a lights out pen with the most power arms I've ever seen. Much respect to the Dodgers for a great year that fell short again.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2146
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am




It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests