Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

XFL coming back in 2020

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
XFL coming back in 2020
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 pm
  • Vince McMahon just made the announcement. Honestly I'm kind of excited to be able to watch a league that has some semblance of parity.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3108
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm
  • Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6672
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:08 pm
  • This is really exciting to me. The NFL needs some competition.

    Not saying that this will compete directly with the NFL in terms of possibly taking it over. However, I'm thinking more along the lines of fixing some of the issues in the NFL right now and in turn applying pressure for the NFL to innovate and fix things. Things like penalties, what's a catch and what's not, refs steering games, etc.
    User avatar
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1285
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Vince McMahon just made the announcement. Honestly I'm kind of excited to be able to watch a league that has some semblance of parity.


    One of the NFL's biggest problems, imo, is that there's not enough good quarterbacks to go around. Its a league of have's, and have not's, at the position. If there's going to parity in the XFL it will be because all of them have crappy quarterbacks. Which will make for lots of bad football.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23862
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    253hawk wrote:Vince McMahon just made the announcement. Honestly I'm kind of excited to be able to watch a league that has some semblance of parity.


    One of the NFL's biggest problems, imo, is that there's not enough good quarterbacks to go around. Its a league of have's, and have not's, at the position. If there's going to parity in the XFL it will be because all of them have crappy quarterbacks. Which will make for lots of bad football.


    I disagree, I think there are a lot of good QB's put in systems that don't augment their talents and nullify their weakness, everyone wants to copy someone else's stuff very little innovations to adapt to the players strengths, that not just QB's.

    Seems like everyone gears to stop or do one thing so there are limited players who's strengths match the scheme, we seen it here first hand, innovative on defense initially but forced our offense to do something that most he players were not suited for.

    There is a reason Bradford, Bridgewater and Keenum were successful in Minny, same with Foles in Philly. For that matter Brady in New England, Bill has a offense that adapts and plays to his strengths, how good would he be in Seattle?
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24213
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:23 am
  • Sounds like theyre trying to capitalize on the political climate of the NFL by not allowing any politics or social issues, forcing players to stand for the anthem, and not allowing any players with criminal records in.

    Its gonna fail so hard. Especially because of the no criminal records thing. They could capitalize on players who cant get a job in the NFL because they repeatedly got in trouble (Manziel,Josh Gordon even though hes back now...) but instead theyre going to close the door to the best talents they have a hope in signing.
    User avatar
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1984
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Sounds like theyre trying to capitalize on the political climate of the NFL by not allowing any politics or social issues, forcing players to stand for the anthem, and not allowing any players with criminal records in.

    Its gonna fail so hard. Especially because of the no criminal records thing. They could capitalize on players who cant get a job in the NFL because they repeatedly got in trouble (Manziel,Josh Gordon even though hes back now...) but instead theyre going to close the door to the best talents they have a hope in signing.



    Yeah thats the one that doesn't make sense.

    IF they didn't do that they could have starting quarterbacks of RG3, Johnny Manziel, and Kap on 3 of the 8 teams.....thats compelling. More compelling then Blake Bortles, Case Keenum or Nick Foles lol


    I still think the best thing would be to go pay all the top high school recruits and compete with college instead of the nfl.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:I still think the best thing would be to go pay all the top high school recruits and compete with college instead of the nfl.


    It would be good for the colleges and universities as well. Perhaps there would be a semblance of true STUDENT athletes. You know, kids that could get into whatever school even if they were non-athletes.
    TreeRon
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:03 am
  • Meh. Vince is merely trying to capitalize on the negativity surrounding the NFL by reviving the XFL. While I'm sure they'll siphon a small percentage of viewers from the NFL, it won't be a significant chunk. And really, how long will they hang around for a second rate product with sub-par talent?

    The timing to revive the XFL is good when you consider the portion of viewers they'll poach from the NFL, the nostalgic viewers, and potential boost from the NFL CBA expiring. I'm sure the XFL will probably do okay for the first couple of seasons at least. But after that, very few people are going to tune in to see a bunch of mediocre choir boys on the gridiron. And the players that do have talent will use it as a tryout for the NFL again.

    But I'll tune in for the aforementioned nostalgia value. And probably tune out a couple of games later, just as I did the first time.
    Last edited by seaky12 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    seaky12
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 112
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 am
    Location: Kentucky


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 am
  • Quick reminder... conversations regarding politics and social climate, even in regards to the NFL, must involve Seahawks players and be posted in the Off Field Topic Discussion thread.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13469
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:59 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Quick reminder... conversations regarding politics and social climate, even in regards to the NFL, must involve Seahawks players and be posted in the Off Field Topic Discussion thread.


    Oops. I'll edit out the politics. Apologies!
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    seaky12
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 112
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 am
    Location: Kentucky


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 am
  • He Hate Me.
    User avatar
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 124
    Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:39 am
  • seaky12 wrote:Meh. Vince is merely trying to capitalize on the negativity surrounding the NFL by reviving the XFL. While I'm sure they'll siphon a small percentage of viewers from the NFL, it won't be a significant chunk. And really, how long will they hang around for a second rate product with sub-par talent?

    The timing to revive the XFL is good when you consider the portion of viewers they'll poach from the NFL, the nostalgic viewers, and potential boost from the NFL CBA expiring. I'm sure the XFL will probably do okay for the first couple of seasons at least. But after that, very few people are going to tune in to see a bunch of mediocre choir boys on the gridiron. And the players that do have talent will use it as a tryout for the NFL again.

    But I'll tune in for the aforementioned nostalgia value. And probably tune out a couple of games later, just as I did the first time.



    Yeah, it gives the folks who say they wont watch the nfl anymore for "whatever" reason an avenue to wet their professional football appetite.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    seaky12 wrote:Meh. Vince is merely trying to capitalize on the negativity surrounding the NFL by reviving the XFL. While I'm sure they'll siphon a small percentage of viewers from the NFL, it won't be a significant chunk. And really, how long will they hang around for a second rate product with sub-par talent?

    The timing to revive the XFL is good when you consider the portion of viewers they'll poach from the NFL, the nostalgic viewers, and potential boost from the NFL CBA expiring. I'm sure the XFL will probably do okay for the first couple of seasons at least. But after that, very few people are going to tune in to see a bunch of mediocre choir boys on the gridiron. And the players that do have talent will use it as a tryout for the NFL again.

    But I'll tune in for the aforementioned nostalgia value. And probably tune out a couple of games later, just as I did the first time.



    Yeah, it gives the folks who say they wont watch the nfl anymore for "whatever" reason an avenue to wet their professional football appetite.


    I suppose, If you can call the likely on field product professional football. :laugh:

    But seriously though, I'm going to assume Vince McMahon has some ideas on how to up the XFL talent pool and roll out a decent product this time around. I only caught bits and pieces of the XFL presser, but I did note Vince saying that the XFL will be single entity. I'm curious if they will do designated players ala Major League Soccer? I also found your idea of going after high school players pretty interesting. There isn't a snowballs chance of the XFL competing with NCAA, but signing some players with academic/eligibility issues could go a long way for the XFL.

    On another note, I can't help but wonder if the XFL wouldn't be better served by competing against the arena leagues. That obviously wouldn't place them in the same league as the NFL, but it would give them the opportunity to be a big fish in a small pond and probably the best chance for success. Market the league as a family friendly league that offers an affordable football experience, place teams in football hungry locations, and market it to people that want pro football other than the NFL, kids that watch wrestling, etc. With the right money, proper promotion, and a means of access (*cough* WWE network), the door is wide open here. Especially considering the recent struggles of the AFL and IFL. Nobody can say Vince lacks ambition.
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    seaky12
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 112
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 am
    Location: Kentucky


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:44 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Sounds like theyre trying to capitalize on the political climate of the NFL by not allowing any politics or social issues, forcing players to stand for the anthem, and not allowing any players with criminal records in.

    Its gonna fail so hard. Especially because of the no criminal records thing. They could capitalize on players who cant get a job in the NFL because they repeatedly got in trouble (Manziel,Josh Gordon even though hes back now...) but instead theyre going to close the door to the best talents they have a hope in signing.


    Which is kind of silly, because the 'X' in XFL is means *XTREME*. XTREME what...conservatism? I guess Vince could always reneg on these rules after seeing how the public responds to them, but it comes off as sounding purely in defiance of the NFL than it does part of a mission statement.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3108
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm
  • gowazzu02 wrote:

    Yeah, it gives the folks who say they wont watch the nfl anymore for "whatever" reason an avenue to wet their professional football appetite.


    That's a joke though, the XFL won't even be a better product than college football.

    It'll be a lateral move from the arena league, and if you're into that? Great I guess, but it's a terrible product, especially if you're trying to fill the void of enjoying the NFL.

    IMO this is the worst time to bring the XFL back. We're already barraged with 24/7/365 ad naseum NFL coverage, TNF, SNF, MNF. Can't get away from it.............so I doubt with that football fatigue that people are going to want to watch a watered down version of something they're already tired of.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13727
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 pm
  • Well when will it compete first off, and Vince if he could put that money up may be smarter to go to London and Europe and start there and lure NFL players while developing Europeans.

    That would get the NFLS attention :) as well as possibly last longer.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24213
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Well when will it compete first off, and Vince if he could put that money up may be smarter to go to London and Europe and start there and lure NFL players while developing Europeans.

    That would get the NFLS attention :) as well as possibly last longer.


    Didn't someone already try this with NFL Europe like 20 years ago?

    Image
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13727
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 pm
  • 20 years is a long time and the NFL has been sending teams over more and more as the interest has grown, may work may not, but better chance then another league here competing against them.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24213
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:33 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:

    Yeah, it gives the folks who say they wont watch the nfl anymore for "whatever" reason an avenue to wet their professional football appetite.


    That's a joke though, the XFL won't even be a better product than college football.

    It'll be a lateral move from the arena league, and if you're into that? Great I guess, but it's a terrible product, especially if you're trying to fill the void of enjoying the NFL.

    IMO this is the worst time to bring the XFL back. We're already barraged with 24/7/365 ad naseum NFL coverage, TNF, SNF, MNF. Can't get away from it.............so I doubt with that football fatigue that people are going to want to watch a watered down version of something they're already tired of.



    Yeah good point. And in reality it's not like the NFL product is all that great any more either. TNF is more often then not unwatchable. Replay and officiating is terrible, hell 3 out of the "best 4" teams left standing were quarterbacked by "JAGs"
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 am
  • What's gonna make this league succeed? Remember the United Football League (2009-2012)? Did anyone watch a single game of that? I didn't. Even when the XFL was first around, I think I only watched a few games.

    The only thing I could see is that since the league is becoming hyper-cautious with player safety, maybe the XFL could find a niche with returning to a form of more violent football. I doubt that happens though, that's probably not viable long-term (i.e. players would sue for health concerns).
    User avatar
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 255
    Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:42 pm


Re: XFL coming back in 2020
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47 am
  • JimmyG wrote:What's gonna make this league succeed? Remember the United Football League (2009-2012)? Did anyone watch a single game of that? I didn't. Even when the XFL was first around, I think I only watched a few games.

    The only thing I could see is that since the league is becoming hyper-cautious with player safety, maybe the XFL could find a niche with returning to a form of more violent football. I doubt that happens though, that's probably not viable long-term (i.e. players would sue for health concerns).


    You must have missed the WFL then.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24213
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.




It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests