Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Zags 2017/2018

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Zags 2017/2018
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 am
  • I thought with the loss of NWG, Zach Collins, and Karnowski there would be a huge drop off this year but they are showing some encouraging signs so far this year.
    I don't expect a serious championship run, but I feel this team has the talent for sweet 16 or better. Jacob Larsen has the post size to be a force(especially defensively not expecting much offensively) if he develops this year and the defense will be a strength once again this year.
    Lots of guys can shoot the the three and Cory Kispert has been a real nice freshman surprise. We are long, athletic, and can shoot the three. Tillie and JW3 both are decent in the post but nothing like Karno as far as back to the basket presence nor do they pass as well as Karno out of the post.
    All in all I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Big test tonight vs Florida a top 5 team that shoots the lights out. Our guards will be tested for sure.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Re: Zags 2017/2018
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:08 pm
  • i'll never get over the robbery of a championship in last years title game. I thought it was worse than SBXL. But I do like what I'm seeing so far from the Zags this year. They have Williams and Perkins still. Hoping for another Final Four run!
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 am
  • Zags had a good showing against Florida and should have won had Melson simply hit a free throw but it was not to be. Hudson from Florida was incredible and kept hitting three after three with defenders right in his grill. It was amazing.
    This Zag team is for real but not nearly as deep as it was last year.
    We need a back up point guard badly. Either Jesse Wade or Norvel need to be developed in this area (most likely Wade).

We are very young in a lot of spots, so lots of room for growth, but this team is fully capable of competing for a final four spot. Something I never thought I would say this year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am
  • That game against Florida was one of the better college basketball games you can watch.

Zags will be good, but not on the same level as last seasons team. They don't have that guy who can take over games like they have had in the past.

As a UW fan, I was hoping we would land Kispert, he will become a really solid piece for the Zags for years.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm
  • Big game Tuesday night against Villanova. Most likely our toughest opponent all year. I don't like this match up for us as they shoot the three very well and our defense is vulnerable to the three but stifling in the paint.
    Their offense is geared for penetrating and kicking to the open three and not so much post oriented. I think we lose to them on what will be pretty much a home game for them.
    Only way I see us winning is if we are hot from three as well and win a shootout. Which isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm not saying our defense is poor because it isn't but this is just a bad match up for us.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm
  • Big loss to a good team. Way too many turnovers. JW3 pushes too much and turns it over often. Villanova is very physical and a well coached team. Fun team to watch play.
    Hopefully Kispert comes back soon as we are a thin team this year without him. Good news is Norvell is getting some experience out of it which will help his development.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 am
  • I had a big bet on Nova in that game. When I watch Nova play, they are like the Patriots of college basketball. They do everything right. They always make the extra pass, they don't make mistakes, and they play great defense.

Zags are good, but Nova is a great team. IMO Nova can win it all, they are a real championship contender. Not sure Zags are in that same category. Zags are a tier below the great college basketball teams right now. Until Perkins shows he can be a real leader, I don't see this team going a long ways. The one guy I have been really impressed with is Norvell Jr, that kid is going to be a great player.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 pm
  • I don't disagree with your assessment at all. Villanova is so well coached. I still think this Zag team has a lot of room for growth this year though. Only problem is they just don't have a lot of challenging games in conference. Maybe 4 total. It does however look like the Huskies found someone who can actually coach so the game Sunday should be an interesting one.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am
  • Huskies v Zags might actually be competitive this year. Should be a fun game on Sunday with the Dawgs coming off a big win over Kansas.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 am
  • I'm really looking forward to the game this weekend. I'm hoping fans show up instead of a half empty arena. Tough to say if fans will be invested after beating Kansas earlier this week.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 am
  • Zags favored by 10 today.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm
  • And the Zags win by 27.
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 pm
  • Total domination from start to finish. I hope perkins and Larsen are ok.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am
  • Man, Huskies got destroyed. Looking forward to see how coach Hopkins adjusts for future similar matchups.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 pm
  • It is still very much a rebuilding season for UW, don't get mistaken by the upset over Kansas. UW will still likely finish near the bottom of the Pac-12.

Zags are a solid team, but they kind of blew their chances in the non conference schedule. The Florida loss doesn't look as good anymore after they lost three straight, and they weren't even competitive against Nova. Even if they go undefeated in the WCC, I think they are probably a five seed at best in the NCAA tournament.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:30 pm
  • I still think this UW team could be a tournament team in the end. We will see.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:It is still very much a rebuilding season for UW, don't get mistaken by the upset over Kansas. UW will still likely finish near the bottom of the Pac-12.

Zags are a solid team, but they kind of blew their chances in the non conference schedule. The Florida loss doesn't look as good anymore after they lost three straight, and they weren't even competitive against Nova. Even if they go undefeated in the WCC, I think they are probably a five seed at best in the NCAA tournament.

They lost to the top team in the nation. With a key starter out. This is not the kind of loss that knocks them out of a top seed nor was the overtime loss to Florida.
    I remember you claiming last year there was no way the Zags get a 1 seed and lo and behold they did. I also remember you poo pooing the Zags all last year as good not great. This Zag team is in gact good not great so far this year (last years was a great team). I do think this team has a LOT of room to grow though. Larsen is improving every game, Zach Norvell is talented but still has a long ways to go, Cory Kispert is just a freshman with just as much room to grow.

Depending on Perkins health and play this years Zags has a chance to be a really really good team come tourney time and if they win out a 1 seed is very much a possibility. A 5 seed after winning out is an absurd notion(not that I think they will but going off that assumption).

Edit: Forgot Rui somehow. He has enormous potential as well. For now thats all it is though. He has a long way to go and I doubt he makes a jump this year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:It is still very much a rebuilding season for UW, don't get mistaken by the upset over Kansas. UW will still likely finish near the bottom of the Pac-12.

They lost to the top team in the nation. With a key starter out. This is not the kind of loss that knocks them out of a top seed nor was the overtime loss to Florida.
    I remember you claiming last year there was no way the Zags get a 1 seed and lo and behold they did. I also remember you poo pooing the Zags all last year as good not great. This Zag team is in gact good not great so far this year (last years was a great team). I do think this team has a LOT of room to grow though. Larsen is improving every game, Zach Norvell is talented but still has a long ways to go, Cory Kispert is just a freshman with just as much room to grow.

Depending on Perkins health and play this years Zags has a chance to be a really really good team come tourney time and if they win out a 1 seed is very much a possibility. A 5 seed after winning out is an absurd notion(not that I think they will but going off that assumption).

Edit: Forgot Rui somehow. He has enormous potential as well. For now thats all it is though. He has a long way to go and I doubt he makes a jump this year.

The Zags are a really good team, they'll be in the top 25 all season. But they likely won't have a top 25 win all season. If you ask most Zag fans, I think they were hoping to split with either Florida or Nova. Texas could surprise, so we'll see how nice that win looks in a couple months.

I was tough on the Zags last year and I was wrong. They obviously aren't as stacked as last season but they'll be fine. I think Perkins is the key. If he can step his game up and become the leader on the floor, then they can make a run in the tournament.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:41 am
  • Tough loss to SDS. This team really struggling with getting their offensive identity together. Could really use a true ball handler on offense. Just too many stupid turnovers.

The good is they definitely have some shooters and the WCC is it's usual crapfast, so they have time to work things out. This team could go deep in the tourney, or be 1 and done. At this point no one could possible know.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:08 pm
  • It's very clear to me this teams success rests on Perkins shoulders.
    Perkins and Melson were horiffically bad last night. The turnover problem may be an issue all year. If they take care of the ball they are very good.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Zags looking dangerous AGAIN this year. Offense is elite. If they can dodge Nova, they can outscore any other team to the Final Four again.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:53 pm
  • Played well, perhaps the best all year. I still think this team is good not great. I expect a sweet sixteen to be about the max they go. Possible elite eight depending on match ups.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:28 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Played well, perhaps the best all year. I still think this team is good not great. I expect a sweet sixteen to be about the max they go. Possible elite eight depending on match ups.

I agree. Good but not great. I like their previous teams a lot more. I think they can make the sweet 16 or get bounced in the first weekend. Don't think they got what it takes to make it past the sweet 16 though.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm
  • Last years team is demonstrably better than what we have this year. I have no illusions of title runs. An early out is certainly possible but I suspect they get at least 1 or 2 wins.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 pm
  • Bracketology on ESPN has the Zags at a 5 seed for the tourney. But they are ranked 6th overall in the country.

makes absolutely no sense. I hate life
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Bracketology on ESPN has the Zags at a 5 seed for the tourney. But they are ranked 6th overall in the country.

makes absolutely no sense. I hate life

Rankings mean nothing. This is basically what they've done this season and every season.

They enter conference play ranked between 10-20. They wait for other ranked teams to drop games and then they leap frog them. When they move up in the rankings, it's usually not because of wins, but other ranked teams losing. They've had one quality win in the last two months, the win at St Mary's. I think a five seed is fair given the few big wins they've had this season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:06 pm
  • Zags clinch another WCC regular season championship with their 79-65 victory over BYU, earning the #1 seed in the WCC Tournament.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:12 pm
  • At the start of the year I wasn't sure what to expect. I am pleased with what they have done. Another outstanding coaching job by Few and a great job by the Zags. Despite how many denigrate the Zags for their conference winning it isn't nearly as easy as they like to make it out to be.
    Just ask BYU. They thought they would waltz in here and take over when they first joined. Haven't won it once and most years they finish third or worse.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 pm
  • I don't think BYU ever thought they would waltz in and dominate the conference. Zags are cream of the crop. It really is too bad the conference hasn't improved. BYU and Mary's are hit and miss. As much as I hate the Zags, would really like to see them compete all season against the power conference teams.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm
  • Zags a 4 seed in the West. I like the region, seed seems about right. UNC Greensboro is a good defensive team. I have no idea what to expect out of this game.
    They play Ohio State if seeds hold. A team we blew out early in the year but that was a long time ago. I am not complaining about this draw at all. I can see them making the sweet sixteen possibly farther.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:20 pm
  • Zags got a nice draw to the Sweet 16. I know nothing about their first opponent, but I'm just going to assume they'll win. Ohio State is a solid team, but they overachieved for the most part. They missed the tourney last season and their new coach basically had the same team to work with and had them in the top 25 all season. Keita Bates Diop is a stud, but not much Zags should be worried about.

The bottom part of that bracket is tough with UNC and Michigan. Assuming those two teams meet, whoever wins that game I think will go to the final four. Zags don't have the talent of Xavier, but they are more than capable of pulling the upset.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 pm
  • Yeah, I think we can beat Xavier provided we play well. However the info on UNC Greensboro makes it look like they are a pretty decent team. Beat NC State this year and kept it close with Virginia.
    I am not assuming any win this year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm
  • Barely escaped.

I wouldn't count on Ohio State being the next opponent. South Dakota St has it tied at half and Kam Williams got hurt for them in the first half.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm
  • OSU isn't very good this year. 0-3 against Penn State. Destroyed by UNC. Nothing really special about them this year. Already blown out by the Zags. I'd be shocked if Zags can't handle them again.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am
  • That game did not surprise me at all. It was exactly what I expected. I think we beat OSU fairly easily, not a blow out but I think it will be double digit win.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:22 pm
  • Zags overcame extremely poor free throw shooting and terrible officiating to win. The officiating was so one sided during the first half you just have to laugh. Refs must have had money on this game. Plus they go to the moniter and it is CLEARLY off Dakich and they give the ball to OSU and they score 5 straight point on more BS calls.

Oh well they overcame. They are the better team. I look forward to seeing who they play next.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Zags overcame extremely poor free throw shooting and terrible officiating to win. The officiating was so one sided during the first half you just have to laugh. Refs must have had money on this game. Plus they go to the moniter and it is CLEARLY off Dakich and they give the ball to OSU and they score 5 straight point on more BS calls.

Oh well they overcame. They are the better team. I look forward to seeing who they play next.

The tipped ball off of OSU in the final minute call was a complete joke. I love how the refs looking at it through replay didn't even do anything. Isn't that the point of replay? TO GET THE CALL RIGHT? It's all BS. It's like the refs don't even try anymore. The NCAA clearly wanted to keep OSU in the game. They gotta keep a BIG10 school in it somehow.

Michigan vs UNC would be a nice Sweet 16 matchup, but if the Zags got to play one of them in the Elite 8, they are going to have to beat the refs as well.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:23 pm
  • Go Zags. Will support a Washington team as long as it isn't against the Cougs and isn't UW. Awesome win against those turd Buckeyes.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 am
  • Nice win for the Zags. Can't stand them but respect them.

I think Zags have a great shot at reaching the final four. I don't think they are a top four team, but the path is there. If they meet Xavier, they will have to travel all the way out to LA. All the #1 seeds get to stay close to home except for Xavier, so it should be a neutral crowd or a Zags crowd. Got to see if they get by Florida St first though.

Norvell Jr is the real deal, I think if he stays through his senior year he can be one of the best Zags of all time.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Nice win for the Zags. Can't stand them but respect them.

I think Zags have a great shot at reaching the final four. I don't think they are a top four team, but the path is there. If they meet Xavier, they will have to travel all the way out to LA. All the #1 seeds get to stay close to home except for Xavier, so it should be a neutral crowd or a Zags crowd. Got to see if they get by Florida St first though.

Norvell Jr is the real deal, I think if he stays through his senior year he can be one of the best Zags of all time.

Headline: Insufferable Husky fan can't stand the Zags. :P

Great win for the Zags. I hope they can get back and avenge that hose job they received in the championship last year.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Thought about going to that game and the one prior. Glad I stayed home. It is only 45 mins to 1.5 hour drive. Knowing the area probably the 2 hr drive. yep...38 miles. But I know the area rather well around Boise.

The bad out of bounds call...ya rite....another reason to not believe in the reffing. Glad the Zags overcame tho. On to the 16.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Nice win for the Zags. Can't stand them but respect them.

Headline: Insufferable Husky fan can't stand the Zags. :P

Great win for the Zags. I hope they can get back and avenge that hose job they received in the championship last year.

Oh I was going to rant about how the Zags got helped by the committee but I figured Nate and the other Zag fans here wouldn't want to hear it. :lol:

I can't stand them but they are the premier program on the west coast.

If anyone wants to hear my rant, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to share.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:40 pm
  • Zags have been royally screwed in years past both in seeding and pod placement. I agree that they got a good placement this year but thats the breaks. This year we were under seeded by a line but they put us in the right pod and region.

I expected us to reach the sweet sixteen. Anything more is gravy. Xavier and FSU are both tough teams but I think we have the ability to beat either.

By the way 4 straight years the Zags have made the sweet sixteen. Thats really impressive. Not many teams can say that.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:18 pm
  • Seeding is all about resume, not about talent or what the team is capable of. I think you guys got seeded correctly, since you guys didn't do all that great in the non conference and there were very few quality wins in the WCC.

Here's my short rant on the Zags getting lucky. And there is nothing wrong with getting lucky. I'd rather be lucky than unlucky like USC who got left out.

Zags are the only 4 seed who got placed close to home. Auburn and Wichita have to travel across the country to play in San Diego. Arizona got shipped to Boise when the committee could have played them in San Diego.

Zags also were put in the bracket with the weakest #1 seed, and the only #1 seed that isn't playing close to home. Nova and Kansas will be playing their second weekend games within driving distance. Whereas Xavier will have to fly across country.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:40 pm
  • Thems the breaks. Should they put Villanova or Kansas in the west? It happens. We had some good out of conference wins and the thing that bothers me the most is that the committee has basically eliminated losses as factoring into seeding and inclusion at all.
    They focus so much on who you beat and your big wins they completely discount 10, 12, 14, even 15 losses. This makes it extremely hard to get in (if your a mid major) and even harder to get a high seed.
    When a team like UNC lost ten games but still gets a 2 seed I think thats ridiculous. We have become so used to it that we just accept it now. They make so many conflicting ways to gauge a teams worthiness they essentially obfuscate the whole thing and put in whomever they like and then use whatever reason fits to put that team in.

The worst total mockery of a seeding was when the Zags had 3 losses all year were ranked 6 and had some good wins as well. They seeded us 6 and put us against an 11 seed who was also vastly under seeded. Wyoming had won the MWC and had a good RPI. They then put us in a pod that was directly in Wyoming's back yard.

I also remember when we were the higher seed and played about as far away as you can get right in Davidsons back yard. Almost won that game but Steph Curry hit a few too many threes. They went on the elite eight that year I believe.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:12 pm
  • I agree. Committee just doesn't do a good job. I don't really care about the couple teams that get left out but each year they seem to mess up the seeds and locations. I don't like Arizona, but they should have put them in San Diego.I thought they did a poor job matching Zags and Ohio State for the second time in one season.

The new quadrant system is broken. It rewards the big conferences. All you have to do is go .500 in the Big12 and you are in, whereas St Marys can win most of their games and get left out. I just hate that you can hang your hat on a few great quad 1 wins but ignore the losses.

I don't know how to fix it, but it needs to be done. I would start by putting people who actually follow college basketball on the committee. Then find a competent person who can seed correctly and put teams in the right location.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:10 pm
  • Epic choke job by Xavier, Zags will play Florida State.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Epic choke job by Xavier, Zags will play Florida State.

Wow. Both 1 and 2 in their division knocked out today. Gonzaga has a real shot at the Final Four again.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:21 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Epic choke job by Xavier, Zags will play Florida State.

Wow. Both 1 and 2 in their division knocked out today. Gonzaga has a real shot at the Final Four again.

Zags and Kentucky have to really like their chances right now. Zags still got some tough opponents in their region though.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Epic choke job by Xavier, Zags will play Florida State.

Was on the road and unable to listen what happened?
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information